Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now Tikes

Format: Amazon Instant VideoChange

I am a huge supporter of BBC entertainment, not to mention a fan of David Tennant from way back. For me, "Spies of Warsaw" was one of the can't miss propositions of the season. There is an absolutely tremendous story of World War II intrigue and heroism at the center of this production, it seems impossible that this television miniseries didn't work on almost any level. The narrative is choppy, the characters are underdeveloped, and Tennant seems devoid of emotion throughout. Moments of "Spies of Warsaw" should have been both heartbreaking and harrowing, but (no matter what happened) I remained strangely apathetic throughout. In every instance, just as it seemed like something was about to happen, the film cuts away to another location. While the first part isn't terrible, more uninvolving than anything, it looked like we were on track for the second part to ratchet up the human drama and suspense. Any hope I had, however, for an upswing came to a crashing halt as the cliffhanger is resolved in two seconds and largely off screen!

It's a strange miscalculation, and an alienating one. Maybe there was simply too much material to incorporate into a two parter. Indeed, the presentation spans many years and jumps to assorted locales throughout. But we never stay anywhere long enough to really care about the situation. I never felt like this was life or death (even as characters were dying) because the screenplay never gets close enough or shares adequate details of the intrigue with the audience. Instead of digging into the political aspect of the drama, "Spies of Warsaw" tries to hedge its bets as a romance as well. After Tennant meets Janet Montgomery, the two are instantly in love despite an apparent lack of chemistry. The talented cast of supporting characters languish while we spend time on this uninspired romantic pairing. And if I thought things couldn't get any worse, the finale is absolutely ridiculous when it should have been powerful and unforgettable. This is really TRULY a great story, the filmmakers just never get a hand on it.

Much of the blame must fall on Tennant, who is either totally miscast or misdirected. His performance is so one-note, so emotionless that it makes it difficult to care about his travails. He is usually so appealing, here (in an effort to be tough, I suppose) he is completely devoid of personality. Even though I've just watched this series, I want someone to instantly remake it! The focus has to be on the story, it is powerful stuff that deserves a better telling. I would rate Part One of "Spies of Warsaw" at 3 stars. I neither loved or hated it, I still saw the potential although so much of it had remained unrealized. Instead of getting better, though, Part Two became almost unbearable to me at 1 1/2 stars. And in the climactic moments, I was laughing out loud at how poorly it was dramatized. It turned into pure corn meant to captivate the audience! Even corniness can inspire emotion if done correctly, but this didn't touch me. I was just glad that we'd finally come to the end. KGHarris, 3/13.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 24, 2013
I am a huge fan of Alan Furst, so I was really happy to see a screen adaptation of one my favorite authors. It turns out this is actually a mixture of "Spies of Warsaw" with bits of "The Polish Officer" thrown in, but they did blend the two in a way that fit very well. The cast is excellent, the settings are authentic, and the overall feel of the series is a fairly worthy rendition of the books.

I did have a few minor problems with the series, however. The screenplay adds in a lot of things that aren't in either book, and they tend to hinder the story rather than help it, in my opinion. This is especially noticeable in the relationship between Jean-Francois and Anna, but there are a lot of other scenes with added content that is jarring for someone who read the books first. still, this is pretty minor, and none of the extra scenes are really deal-breakers.

"Spies of Warsaw" is a top-notch drama. It's evocative and intriguing and you can enjoy it as a love story, a spy novel, a war story, or any combination thereof. :)
on April 13, 2013
I really liked it. I think it represented the era well. Someone had said that David Tennant lacked emotion, but I believed underneath there was a great deal of emotion. I did find it odd that a Frenchman, played by Tennant, had a Scottish accent, but you soon forgot. He really looked the part. And I believe, played it very well.
on April 11, 2013
I enjoyed the Spies of Warsaw mini-series. If you are expecting an action spy movie with fast moving plots, large explosions, and gripping action, then you will largely be disappointed. However, as someone who in this case was more interested in a period drama with good acting, beautiful filmography, and enjoyable plot lines I felt like the BBC delivered. One thing I found interesting that seems to be common in BBC productions, is that while the lead character was supposed to be French, the actor's normal Scottish accent was still prevalent. This was not distracting, and I quickly forgot about it, but it is an interesting BBC philosophy to ponder. I found the characters to be believable, and I certainly cared about what happened to them as the story unfolded. I would recommend this series for a quiet night or two in, with a good cup of tea.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 17, 2013
I was surprised to be, a rule ALL BBC productions are 5 star: excellent.
I might watch this again to see if I change my mind, I did read the book and that was terrific.
on April 21, 2013
This actually was for me much more real, as to the time period, than most of the stuff on tv today that passes for spy movies, because that's how it was done back then, and the scene sets are so true to life you really get the feel of the time frame, most of the bad reviews here seem to want non stop action, but this is reality as it was, with traitors hiding in plain sight. As good as it gets.
on April 30, 2013
Oh where to start with this one? I love the Alan Furst books but this telling ,of one of the best ,is painfully dull, our hero is so bland that he all but disappears from the screen. I am halfway through the second episode and am not sure that I will bother with the rest.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 19, 2013
Right away I was sucked in! Loved the characters! And David Tennant certainly carried the day! I really wanted to slap Max around, though, and I do wish there had been some comeuppance for him, but, what goes around, comes around, and I'm sure his character is writhing in agony in the author's imagination elsewhere...! Lol! Bottom line: I recommend the Spies of Warsaw highly! Enjoy! :D
on May 14, 2013
adaptation of two of Furst's novels with separate heroes. Conflating the two resulted in a awkward superficial hodge podge. Well enough acted, the combination of the two plots produced something of a mule rather than a thoroughbred. I was unhappy to see that the storyline of "The Polish Officer" one of my favorite Furst novels, had been subsumed to the title "The Spies of Warsaw" a later and to me less successful offering.

Ultimately, Furst may be difficult to bring to the screen as there doesn't appear to be a lot of chase scenes and he's also dealing with events that require bigger budget battle scenes--war in Poland, the Fall of France, The Blitz--than television can provide. Don't let this adaptation put you off trying the Furst novels. They are engrossing reads, atmospheric, noirish, yet still enlivened by the hope that some will come through and some of it will be made right.
on December 11, 2014
Given that the miniseries was based on true events, I had high expectations, but was disappointed. Production values were good, but jumps between scenes (time and characters) were often disjointed. The story line was frequently unbelievable as well. Finally, as excellent an actor as he is, David Tennent with his British accent was not very believable as a French officer