5.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining
Published on September 5, 2010 by John R. Prince

3.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, but hard to play
The premise of this game is to guess what picture is over your head. The picture is visible to everyone else but you. In a way, this game reminds me of something called "Indian Poker", where everyone but you sees your card.

Published on November 18, 2010 by Mitchell M. Tse

5.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining, September 5, 2010
John R. Prince (Fort Worth, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HedBanz Game (Toy)
We bought this game for our son's 10th birthday--not knowing what to expect, but the entire family (including our eight year old daughter) really enjoyed it. The concept is incredibly simple. Pick a card, place it on your (supplied) head band so that everyone except you can see it and begin asking questions as to what you are. "Am I an animal?" "Am I a food?" etc. Once you get an affirmative answer, your questions get more granular "Am I a fruit?" "Am I a dessert?" etc. Of course you are free to ask any question aside from "What am I?" The game comes with a sand-glass timer, and if you are unable to guess what you are before time runs out, on your next turn you can either get a new card (and lose a point) or continue guessing what you are. All in all, a very fun game for everyone in the family!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, but hard to play, November 18, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

Anyway, the idea behind this game is good, it's like a 20 questions, where you ask questions and people can say "yes/no". The availability of the picture makes it so that a whole group can participate, versus one-on-one.

However, here's where the hangups go. The timer is for 45 seconds. Consider that the average question takes about 5-10 seconds between asking and answering, we're talking about 5-10 questions before time's up. We tried a house rule of flipping the timer an extra time (for a total of a minute and a half), but we still can't figure out the item in time! I think the issue has to do with the timer, it messes with your head, and the questions you ask become scattered. Perhaps if we had a new house rule and had a limited number of questions instead of relying on a set time, the game may work. This may be especially useful when you have a diverse number of ages (young kids versus teens and adults).

Also, there aren't that many cards. I suppose we can create our own cards, but for this size game, you would think that the manufacturer would bother to give you a few more. I'd see a cranium game, and they'd throw in about 300-500 examples. For this game? Not even 100.

Based on the number of stars for other reviewers, I'm guessing that I'm in the minority, but I just can't love this game. Again, great concept, but hard to play.

Overall, okay game. Could have easily been a 4 or 5 star game if they thought it through, gave game variations (like number of guesses), and gave more cards.

UPDATE - 06/22/11
So, it's been over half a year since we've received this item, and I must admit, the kids and wife still play it once in a while. So while I don't love this game, it's still considered a keeper!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun for little ones; teens and up can DIY, January 25, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I sort of can't believe that this is an actual game in a box. My family has been playing this game for decades -- we call it 'Tapehead' (we tape the handwritten cards to our head). Tapehead is an excellent game.

This is a bit of a dumbed down version. It gives you the headband, it gives you the cards, it gives you sample questions, etc. I brought it to my family for Christmas and the consensus at the end of the week was that it was a bit too elemental and limiting (not very many cards) for teens and up to enjoy for long, but the 10 and under set really loved it and appreciated the ease of not having to come up with a word themselves.

I saw people questioning the timer/rules. FWIW, we disregarded the timer completely and just used 'Tapehead' rules: When it's your turn you keep asking questions until you get a 'no'. Once you get a 'no' answer the next player gets to ask questions. Winner is first to guess their card but we play til everyone has guessed their card.

BOTTOM LINE: Definitely fun, but after a few days anyone over 12 may prefer to make their own cards up. This is a hit with the elementary-school aged kids though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very fun game that will cause a lot of laughter, October 27, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My daughter really enjoys family games so I was looking forward to trying this game, although I was a little sceptical that it would actually be fun. My concerns went away immediately when we started playing this game. The pictures are so cute and crazy that it's hard not to laugh when you see that your spouse is a hot dog or that your daughter is a goat. This is a short game that can be played with a wide variety of ages (recommend 6+) and up to six people. Although the game is not especially educational, it does help to develop logic skills.

Pros:

Easy set-up
Short game
Simple instructions
Very fun (will definitely cause laughter)

Cons:

Limited amount of cards (only 72)
No expansion decks available, although other versions are available

Recommended for:

Sleepovers
School parties
Family game time

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun even for younger kids, November 3, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My kids are a little younger than the age range (8+) for this game, but we had a good time with it. I know they will grow into it. It is actually quite educational. I homeschool and my oldest daughter just turned 7. There are cards with sample questions that can help you get started with thinking about what questions you should ask. One of the keys to becoming a good writer in school is learning how to describe things and use adjectives. This game is great for developing this skill, because children have to ask questions about what they are--and that takes thinking and creativity! When we played, I did give a few clues and we didn't do it according to the timer. We simply played for fun--no winners or losers.

We played by giving everyone a headband and their own card. Then we took turns, but rather than going against the timer. I let them ask questions until they figured it out. If they got stuck, I gave them little clues. I also helped remind them what they had learned from their questions. Both of these are mental note taking skills being modeled and practiced while playing this game! Honestly, if you happen to homeschool and need a break during the day, this would be a great game. The objects on the cards seem very simply and seem like they'd be very easy to guess, but it takes more thinking than you'd expect to figure out what the card on your head is!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun! Fun! Fun!, October 4, 2010
This review is from: HedBanz Game (Toy)
This game is Great Fun! We had a fund raiser for our cheerleaders and had some down time of about 2 hours. The girls ages (14-18) went to the local store and came back with this game and started playing. It was so much fun to watch and laugh along with them, so much so that the adults had to get in on the game. We had 12 people playing with only everyother person with a banz on his/her head. They paired off and asked the questions only to their partner. After someone won they switched banz to their partner. None of us wanted to quit playing. Young or old this is alot of fun! We even stopped on the way home and bought the game for our own family. Can't wait to play it with everyone when we get together for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Now all we need is another set of cards to add to the game.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure I got a finished product, but..., November 11, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I don't know exactly what the recommended age is for this game because the picture on the product page says 6+, the product description says 8+ and the box we received through Vine says 7+. The cards in our game also have a solid white background and only English titles, unlike the Amazon pictures. The actual "hedbanz" work pretty well. They adjust easily and hold the cards in place. One issue though is that all the parts are loose in the box. The cards will end up in a jumble each time you put it away.

The biggest problem I had though was the ambiguous instructions, which explicitly state that "you can ask any question except `who am I?'" This seems pretty clear, but all of the "sample questions" are yes/no. Did the makers intend to limit the question type? Shouldn't this be in the rules?

I tried out the game with my kids (ages 4 and 7) and they had a little fun with it for about a half hour a week ago. They haven't wanted to get in out again even when I suggested it. This is not a bad game, but we have better ones.

4.0 out of 5 stars Twenty Questions (or more), November 27, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Hedbanz is a fun guessing game where players wear a card with a picture strapped to their forehead and must ask the other players questions in an effort to figure out what they are. Most of the cards seemed to be of animals or foods. The questions must have yes or no answers and there are sample questions included with the game as examples, like Am I heavy? or Am I an animal? However, it could take forever to figure out what you are with just yes or no questions, especially for younger players, so giving some hints may make the game less frustrating to some.

Overall, Hedbanz is fun and a cheery looking game. The cards are brightly illustrated and the headbands one must wear (although they make you look like you're about to go explore a cave) are comfortable enough. It was much more fun to play without a time limit so we didn't even use the hourglass to keep track of time after the first round. My one complaint would be that I wish the name of the game were spelled correctly, especially when the makers of the game deemed it necessary to say that a "knowledge of English is required" to play this game. Apparently you just don't have to know how to spell in English.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kids love this, December 7, 2010
This review is from: HedBanz Game (Toy)
My 9 year old son and all his friends love this. You can find plenty of helpful reviews on here, but I wanted to let you know that the $[...] they're charging for it here is outrageous. Walmart has it for less than $13 (that's the regular price, not a sale price) and Target had it for less than $17 (again, regularly priced). I hate seeing people get ripped off.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun for the family, but adults need to be patient, January 15, 2011
Lynne Arthur (Los Gatos, CA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HedBanz Game (Toy)
I have a six and nine year old and this is pretty fun with them. You have to really help steer their guessing or they'll jump to specifics too fast and have no concept of how to narrow down categories. So the adults need to be a little patient.

HedBanz Game