Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: HedBanz Game - Edition may vary
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on September 5, 2010
We bought this game for our son's 10th birthday--not knowing what to expect, but the entire family (including our eight year old daughter) really enjoyed it. The concept is incredibly simple. Pick a card, place it on your (supplied) head band so that everyone except you can see it and begin asking questions as to what you are. "Am I an animal?" "Am I a food?" etc. Once you get an affirmative answer, your questions get more granular "Am I a fruit?" "Am I a dessert?" etc. Of course you are free to ask any question aside from "What am I?" The game comes with a sand-glass timer, and if you are unable to guess what you are before time runs out, on your next turn you can either get a new card (and lose a point) or continue guessing what you are. All in all, a very fun game for everyone in the family!
22 comments|211 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon November 18, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The premise of this game is to guess what picture is over your head. The picture is visible to everyone else but you. In a way, this game reminds me of something called "Indian Poker", where everyone but you sees your card.

Anyway, the idea behind this game is good, it's like a 20 questions, where you ask questions and people can say "yes/no". The availability of the picture makes it so that a whole group can participate, versus one-on-one.

However, here's where the hangups go. The timer is for 45 seconds. Consider that the average question takes about 5-10 seconds between asking and answering, we're talking about 5-10 questions before time's up. We tried a house rule of flipping the timer an extra time (for a total of a minute and a half), but we still can't figure out the item in time! I think the issue has to do with the timer, it messes with your head, and the questions you ask become scattered. Perhaps if we had a new house rule and had a limited number of questions instead of relying on a set time, the game may work. This may be especially useful when you have a diverse number of ages (young kids versus teens and adults).

Also, there aren't that many cards. I suppose we can create our own cards, but for this size game, you would think that the manufacturer would bother to give you a few more. I'd see a cranium game, and they'd throw in about 300-500 examples. For this game? Not even 100.

Based on the number of stars for other reviewers, I'm guessing that I'm in the minority, but I just can't love this game. Again, great concept, but hard to play.

Overall, okay game. Could have easily been a 4 or 5 star game if they thought it through, gave game variations (like number of guesses), and gave more cards.

UPDATE - 06/22/11
So, it's been over half a year since we've received this item, and I must admit, the kids and wife still play it once in a while. So while I don't love this game, it's still considered a keeper!
88 comments|258 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon January 25, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I sort of can't believe that this is an actual game in a box. My family has been playing this game for decades -- we call it 'Tapehead' (we tape the handwritten cards to our head). Tapehead is an excellent game.

This is a bit of a dumbed down version. It gives you the headband, it gives you the cards, it gives you sample questions, etc. I brought it to my family for Christmas and the consensus at the end of the week was that it was a bit too elemental and limiting (not very many cards) for teens and up to enjoy for long, but the 10 and under set really loved it and appreciated the ease of not having to come up with a word themselves.

I saw people questioning the timer/rules. FWIW, we disregarded the timer completely and just used 'Tapehead' rules: When it's your turn you keep asking questions until you get a 'no'. Once you get a 'no' answer the next player gets to ask questions. Winner is first to guess their card but we play til everyone has guessed their card.

BOTTOM LINE: Definitely fun, but after a few days anyone over 12 may prefer to make their own cards up. This is a hit with the elementary-school aged kids though.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My kids are a little younger than the age range (8+) for this game, but we had a good time with it. I know they will grow into it. It is actually quite educational. I homeschool and my oldest daughter just turned 7. There are cards with sample questions that can help you get started with thinking about what questions you should ask. One of the keys to becoming a good writer in school is learning how to describe things and use adjectives. This game is great for developing this skill, because children have to ask questions about what they are--and that takes thinking and creativity! When we played, I did give a few clues and we didn't do it according to the timer. We simply played for fun--no winners or losers.

We played by giving everyone a headband and their own card. Then we took turns, but rather than going against the timer. I let them ask questions until they figured it out. If they got stuck, I gave them little clues. I also helped remind them what they had learned from their questions. Both of these are mental note taking skills being modeled and practiced while playing this game! Honestly, if you happen to homeschool and need a break during the day, this would be a great game. The objects on the cards seem very simply and seem like they'd be very easy to guess, but it takes more thinking than you'd expect to figure out what the card on your head is!
on October 4, 2010
This game is Great Fun! We had a fund raiser for our cheerleaders and had some down time of about 2 hours. The girls ages (14-18) went to the local store and came back with this game and started playing. It was so much fun to watch and laugh along with them, so much so that the adults had to get in on the game. We had 12 people playing with only everyother person with a banz on his/her head. They paired off and asked the questions only to their partner. After someone won they switched banz to their partner. None of us wanted to quit playing. Young or old this is alot of fun! We even stopped on the way home and bought the game for our own family. Can't wait to play it with everyone when we get together for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Now all we need is another set of cards to add to the game.
VINE VOICEon November 11, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I don't know exactly what the recommended age is for this game because the picture on the product page says 6+, the product description says 8+ and the box we received through Vine says 7+. The cards in our game also have a solid white background and only English titles, unlike the Amazon pictures. The actual "hedbanz" work pretty well. They adjust easily and hold the cards in place. One issue though is that all the parts are loose in the box. The cards will end up in a jumble each time you put it away.

The biggest problem I had though was the ambiguous instructions, which explicitly state that "you can ask any question except `who am I?'" This seems pretty clear, but all of the "sample questions" are yes/no. Did the makers intend to limit the question type? Shouldn't this be in the rules?

I tried out the game with my kids (ages 4 and 7) and they had a little fun with it for about a half hour a week ago. They haven't wanted to get in out again even when I suggested it. This is not a bad game, but we have better ones.
on January 21, 2016
Purchased this game as a Christmas present for my nephew. Finally had a chance to play it for the first time a few weeks ago. I was thinking it would be pretty easy for us adults playing a kids game, I was wrong. We played with 3 adults, a teenager, and a 6 year old. The 6 year old was able to do better than half the people! I think this speaks volumes to how good of a kids game this actually is. It can be equally challenging for everyone.

The game play itself is a self guided question game. Everyone has a "hedbanz", which is just what they call their plastic headbands that are included with the game. Each player places a card on their respective hedbanz. Everyone can see your card, except you. Your card has an illustration in addition to the description of what it is. The game includes a card with sample questions, but my group of players found that most of those questions were useless on most of the cards. You begin the game with three playing chips in front of you and a timer. When the timer begins you ask yes or no questions about your card. If you guess your card correctly before the timer runs out you get to give up a playing chip and continue with a new card until the timer runs out. After that point play passes to the next player, while you keep the card that stumped you. You continue with this card until you guess it correctly. The first player to get rid of all three chips wins the game!

The only reason I knocked off a star is due to the replay value. It seems there are about 50 cards that come with the came. If you play a round with 5 people those 50 cards do not go very far at all. With my group of 5 we went through approximately 10 cards during a session of this game. That means that after approximately 5 times playing this game you will begin to repeat cards. This will obviously hurt the replay value. Perhaps this is something that can be solved with an expansion at some point.
on July 21, 2015
my grandkids and I play this game, it is a blast! you laugh so hard that it's almost impossible to get through the game! lots of fun. grandkids are 9 and 7 years old. my son saw me with hedbanz on my head when he came to pick up the kids, he laughed so hard. I think it's a great game for any age. A very good product worth every penny.
on April 15, 2015
Cute game. I have played it before at a friends' house. This was a little different version. We had six headbands and seven people, so the odd man out just held up his card when it was his turn...no problem. Fun to play with adults and kids together. My boys, ages 12, 10, and 8 enjoyed this game very much. We found it to be the most fun having the person who was guessing just ask his/her questions to the whole group instead of going around the circle. I look forward to adding this to our growing game collection.
on February 20, 2015
My family loves this game. It is great for adults as well as kids. This is supposedly the kids version, but I think it is perfect for adults as well. I haven't played the adults version, but this is certainly not too easy for adults. We usually adjust the rules for how we want to play, so we go without the timer and one person just keeps asking yes/no questions until he/she gets it (or gives up). Fun game! Side note: I have a huge head, and the head bands fit me, my 4 year old nephew, and everyone in between.