5.0 out of 5 stars A three Pointer at the buzzer
Published on October 2, 2005 by Gary Tallman

3.0 out of 5 stars Too long to deal with!
This book is way too long to give the reader the desire to sit down and tackle it all! Good information, but just too much of it!
Published on January 20, 2011 by MTSK

5.0 out of 5 stars A three Pointer at the buzzer, October 2, 2005
It is an honor to be the first person to review this book. One of my greatest childhood memories is of my father taking my brother and I to see the Globetrotters in the late 60's. I fell in love with the show then and have gone to see them about ten times since then. I love introducing people to the trotters who never saw them in person before.Now this great new book comes along about the Trotters. It was too good to be true. This is a very scholarly tome. It is richly detailed. I came away from it marveling at the stamina and endurance of this team. Being in existence for 80 years is truly remarkable. This book traces the teams' history from their humble beginnings in the 1920's to their resurgence in 2005. I was startled by the poor conditions they played under early on. Abe Saperstein, the founder and owner of the team is an enigma. I found myself admiring him greatly at times and hating him for his veiled prejudice and sense of superiority.Mr Green devotes a lot of space to Goose Tatum and Marques Haynes. It is worth it to get to know these great players that came before my time. The story about Goose and his "son" was very funny. I was really looking forward to reading the section on Meadowlark Lemon. He was my globetrotter hero growing up and it was a bit sad to read about his career as a Trotter. The book really picks up steam when Mannie Jackson is introduced as the current owner of the team and all of his changes are instituted and the Globetrotters are returned to glory. The book has great closure.If I had one quibble with this book I would have liked to know more about the inner workings of the games and how the Trotters work with the Washington Generals or whichever team they are playing. I would have loved to have read what it is like playing against the Trotters night after night. It would have been interesting to read about the referees throughout the years. They have borne the brunt of many a globetrotter riff. It would have been nice to have seen them paid their due.I applaud Mr Green for an exhaustively written book about one of the greatest sports teams of all times.

5.0 out of 5 stars First truly good history about the Harlem Globetrotters, December 4, 2010
Bruce Baskin (Chehalis, WA United States) - See all my reviews
Full disclosure: I grew up loving the Harlem Globetrotters and am still a fan (I have a collection of every season program since 1948), although I'm more a fan of their legacy than their current watered-down incarnation.

Anyway, there have been a number of books over the years about the Trotters (some better than others), but this is the first one that I'd call scholarly and even-handed in its treatment of them. As you read, you'll find Abe Saperstein to be a visionary with a plantation mentality. I think he truly loved his players, but in a paternalistic sense, and he never missed the chance to make a dollar or promote himself as well as his team. I really have mixed feelings about him, and so do a lot of his former players.

The book give a great background of Saperstein's life before he formed the Trotters so you get a perspective for WHY and HOW the team was formed. You then get a seat in the car as the fledgling team drives to small midwest towns to play straight basketball (and play it well) before discovering comedy almost by accident. It took the better part of 15 years before the Trotters really received widespread notice, but winning a World Championship in the early 40's boosted their fame and beating the NBA champion Lakers in the late 40's cemented it. At the time, the team had a near-perfect mix of skill and humor, and they just took off.

I'll leave the rest for you to find out for yourself, but Green does a terrific job of detailing the evolution of the contradiction that is the Harlem Globetrotters: Alternately a group of skilled basketball entertainers who have made literally millions of people around the world smile while providing black players the chance to earn a living, while also laboring in servitude to owners who have encouraged things on-court that feed almost every racial stereotype one can conjure.

This is an excellent, well-written book that is the best I've read on the history of the Harlem Globetrotters. I just wish the current owners would read it so they might better understand what they have.

5.0 out of 5 stars HARLEM GLOBETROTTERS, March 2, 2012
HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK. I AM ABOUT HALF WAY THRU. VERY DETAILED TELLING WHAT THEY WENT THRU,TRAVELLING BY CAR STARTING IN 1929 THRU OUT THE UNITED STATES. THE PRICE CANT BE BEAT ALSO.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great infomation, March 26, 2011
Katherine M. Johnson (Herndon, VA United States) - See all my reviews
I am doing research on my great great cousin, Tommy Brookins and saw this book...He was one of the original Savoy 5....

5.0 out of 5 stars Most interesting and informative, June 15, 2013
J. McHugh (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
I am less than 100 pages from finishing the Hardcover version.

It is a well written and detailed history of an American and Worldwide Institution!

I read another review indicating that it was too long!

Life is not a Nintendo game!!!

Did you want it done fast....OR DID YOU WANT IT DONE RIGHT??!!

Mr. Green has done it RIGHT!!

It is a history lesson as well, in that it examines how teams got around, before airplane travel. It also examines how segregation affected the Trotters, in the US....but not so much in other parts of the world.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND3ED!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Too long to deal with!, January 20, 2011
MTSK "Jeanne" (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews

Spinning the Globe : The Rise, Fall, and Return to Greatness of the Harlem Globetrotters
Used & New from: $2.30