Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron (Full Screen Edition) [Animated]
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: DVD|Change

on November 17, 2002
I took my 4 year old, and four 7 year olds to see this movie, and it made an impact on all of us. This movie is original. It is not Disney-ish and while I've appreciation for Disney, this movie did not have the "cutesy" factor of a Disney movie. Spirit captured my children's hearts and imaginations. This movie took the children through a full spectrum of emotions. They were elated at Spirit's courage, angry about his treatment, sad when he was sad and Rain was injured, and again thrilled when he was finally free! Isn't this what movies are for...to entertain our emotions? This movie beautifully depicted strength and courage. The animation was phenomenal and the music...Bryan Adams, what more can I say!!! My four year old was deeply impacted by this movie. She says it changed her life. When she went to get shots, she told me, "I will not cry, I will be brave like Spirit" and she didn't shed a tear! I highly recommend this beautiful and unique movie to anyone who wants to see or have their children see a movie that covers a full spectrum of emotions and leaves you feeling uplifted!!
55 comments|75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 20, 2002
I went to see this film in sneak preview with my 8 year old cousin.
I thought that it was incredible! It's the story of a wild stallion who's captured, first by US soldiers, and then by a young Native American... All through out though, Spirit's heart is with his herd, running the hills of the untamed west!
Since the horses didn't speak in the film, except for narration by Matt Damon as the voice of Spirit, the horses facial expressions became central, so they had some really fun to watch "conversations". This movie had one of the most touching mother/son relationships since Bambi, in my book, even without a word spoken between them!
It's a movie about being you are, and about never accepting defeat, and about soaring on wings of eagles... We can all stand to have a little of that untamed majesty beating in our hearts every now and then, so go see it, and let your self be taken away!
Marie
on May 19, 2002
After watching this movie, I have got to say that this is truly a unique theatrical experience. This is one of the many movies I have been wanting to see for a very long time, and I wasn't dissapointed. The presentation of Spirit is something to hold on to. The Brilliant Score of Hans Zimmer, the Exceptional Songs of Bryan Adams and the Superb Narration from Matt Damon is very Dazzaling. I can't say nothing bad about this movie because there really isn't anything to say.
For a 15 year old guy, like me, I was very Satisfied to see that Dreamworks also thought of the Adults, with the story being strong, as it is, but also giving us the normal humor that we expect from a kids film.
From the Opening Scene to the Final Jump, Spirit is a film that Everyone should go out and see, because it will bring people closer together. For sure Spirit will be getting an Award for the Excellent work that each individual did on this movie. I can't wait to get this on DVD!
on November 19, 2002
I watched it with my three-year old daughter and was enthralled! Not only was the animation beautiful, and the music fantastic, it had an important message about how cruel humans can be to animals, and that a little kindness to an animal, can benifit both human and beast. Even though the indians used ropes and tried to ride Spirit, they were kind and loving to him,especially the boy, who understands his need for freedom, and eventually sets him free. One reviewer referred to this movie as "smaltz" which I strongly disagree. I don't know how a person that negative can like any animated movie. They aren't supposed to be entirely realistic. They are supposed to have strong characters, and teach valuable lessons about life. I feel sorry for that person. He/she misses the point entirely. And the first reviewer liked the movie, but said it was foolish and childish to like movies with talking animals. I disagree, they are again "make believe" and meant primarily for children. Adults can enjoy them too. They just have to be open-minded and let their inner child out. I never lost mine, and I'm not ashamed. But in the case of this movie, dialogue between the animals wasn't necessary, because their emotions were expressed so obviously through the context of the story, expressions and movements, not to mention, the lyrics of all those great Bryan Adams songs. Perhaps this would've worked with "The Lion King" and "Dinosaur" too, but that's just not the Disney style, and it doesn't make me like those movies any less. Those are both favorites in my home. You have to judge each movie on it's own merits, and not compare it to others. This is one great movie, and I plan to add it to my collection. Even very young children can sympathize with Spirit's plight, and admire his courage. Great job, Dreamworks. I also agree no sequel is necessary, but I don't think it would "ruin" this movie. It just wouldn't compare to the original. Sequels rarely do.
on May 21, 2002
This movie was the best animated family movie I have ever seen! You will leave the theater uplifted and in love with the wild mustang - "Spirit who could not be broken". The music in the film is excellent and really fits in well with telling the story. The horses' expressions are done superbly, and they help you understand their emotions and thoughts, without the need for them to actually talk in human language. There's not a moment in the movie where you feel bored. There's plenty of action, and the scenery is gorgeous! You want to just step into the picture and be there too. There are several underlining themes of the movie including trust has to be earned not demanded, the importance of survival and not ever giving up, and the main theme of not forgetting who you are and the need to be yourself to flourish. You really admire the wild mustang's determination and stubborn will. He is a born leader, and a proven hero time and time again in the movie. I found myself really sympathetic for Spirit and his quest to return home to his herd of horses. He knew where his heart was, and he stayed determined that it was not going to be any other way, despite us two legged creatures' wishes! It teaches you to respect and appreciate the horses' natural wild nature. There is no bad language in the movie to shield your children from either. Spirit's courage can be understood by everyone. You will be touched by Spirit's love and tenderness for his new friend, Rain, a sassy paint horse. She teaches him to see things a different way. You will understand the connection between the wild horse and Little Creek, the Indian. They are linked by fate with the common instinct to survive and be free. At the end of the movie, you will be left happy with a sense of justice and that feeling that everything is the way it should be for a wild horse who loved his home and family. A truly unique and well thought movie. You won't regret seeing it. I recommend it to all!
on June 16, 2002
First of all, I need to disagree with the Amazon reviewer's opinion of Bryan Adams, the "80's rocker," who contributed to the soundtrack. I feel Adams' voice added much to the film, having that rough, gritty sound that stuck in my head as part of the West.
That being out of the way, I was looking forward to seeing this movie ever since I saw the preview on Shrek. I am a 23 year old visual artist, and I adore good animation that doesn't come just from Disney. I loved the facial expressions used to convey emotion, and the fact that the sound editors used recordings from real horses, instead of using human voices, other than Matt Damon's voice, of course, but Spirit couldn't really talk.
There were a couple parts in the movie where I got a little twitchy... such as the part where Spirit is cruelly mistreated by the American army trying to settle the West. If you're a parent, I would definitely talk to your young child about the parts involving the cruelty.
About the soundtrack... I definitely think it fits the movie. The beautiful score has some ethereal strands to it, especially during the instrumentals... and you all know my feelings on how Bryan Adams' voice ties in with the movie. I will actually be purchasing it as soon as the soundtrack gets in my area.
This is a movie I would most certainly see repeatedly. The animation is incredible, the story is beautiful, and the music is unforgettable. I highly recommend it to anyone, of any age. Hope this review helped.
on June 11, 2002
I went to see this movie with my two friends becuase we are animal lovers, and we really love horses. I expected the movie to be cute, but more of a kid's movie; I was wrong! This is NOT just another kiddie animation flick. In fact, there was a little girl in the seat next to me who was probably 3 years old, and throughout the entire movie, all she did was ask her grandmother tons and TONS of questions. I doubt that she truely understood even a fourth of the movie. I also heard some kids crying throughout it, like they wanted to go home. But my friends and I LOVED it! Spirit has gorgeous animation, great characters, great plot, and wonderful music. In fact, I own the soundtrack, and am listening to is as I type this. One thing I especially liked, and was EXTREMELY greatful for, about Spirit is that the horses don't talk! THANK YOU DREAMWORKS! I am sick to DEATH of all these talking Disney dogs, cats, snakes, monkies, and all the other various talking animals. That becomes VERY old! This film was more natural, using natural horse sounds and body language. It was NOT boring! There was always some action to draw you in. The animation, as I said before, was GORGEOUS! Breathtaking! A masterpiece. In the opening scene, I was fighting back tears as they played the main theme and showed the horses running wild and free exactly as all horse should be! Oooooh it was beautious. Oh, yes, and the music is great. The lyrics are beautiful and have alot of symbolism and meaning. The instrumental is brilliant and emotional as well. Well now, I think i have typed enough, though there is no way to truely express how enchanting, wonderous, not to mention beautious Spirit is! GO SEE IT! I'm sure you will be pleased, as I was. I have only seen it once, and I deffinately plan on seeing it again, and owning it when it comes out on video and DVD. Just keep in mind that this isn't really such a kid's movie, so i would reccomend it only for children over 8 or 9 years of age. It does have a few intense moments that small children might find to be scarey. But all in all, I absolutely LOVED this movie!
on January 6, 2005
I never watch a movie more than twice, but this movie I watch almost every evening with my little girl before her bed time. There is so much artist diversity I cant get over it. From the old fashioned hand drawn characters to the artist painted mountains and other backdrop to the computer generated grass, trees and its hard to tell at times what else. I think the lack of english dialogue is wonderful. My daughter is just over one and she reacts to the body language as though she understands what is going on. When baby Spirit is born my daughter smiles and laughs each and every time she sees this part, she loves it when he makes his little noises and his mom welcomes him into the world. The music is fantastic, Brian Adams and Hanz are amazing together, not that my growing up with Bryan Adams blaring in the background most of my young life has anything to do with it :) This movie has not been given the publicity and credit it justly deserves. I encourage anyone who gets this DVD to watch all the special features as well because you wont believe the work put into this movie. I recommend this movie for any age.
on October 18, 2011
This is a great amazing horse of the wild story, but it's also, the (sad) end of the wild. (Listen to the intro....)
From IMDB
The story that I want to tell you cannot be found in a book. They say that the history of the west was written from the saddle of a horse, but it's never been told from the heart of one. Not till now. I was born here, in this place that would come to be called the Old West. But, to my kind, the land was ageless. It had no beginning and no end, no boundary between earth and sky. Like the wind and the buffalo, we belonged here, we would always belong here. They say the mustang is the spirit of the West. Whether that west was won or lost in the end, you'll have to decide for yourself, but the story I want to tell you is true. I was there and I remember. I remember the sun, the sky, and the wind calling my name in a time when we ran free. I'll never forget the sound and the feeling of running together. The hoof beats were many, but our hearts were one."

I enjoy the fact that the horses do not speak, like in People language, as in other Disney movies! Interesting! concept! The ending is pretty ... disruptive for small children, perhaps. My child looses interest anyway. She very much enjoys the giving birth part, the baby horse and the baby receiving mama "milkies" as she, as a baby, also received past age one. Mama milk , breast milk is best for growing brains. This milk was made for your baby. Cow milk is made for baby cows. Who wants to give bovine growth hormones, pus, blood, mold, and other additives to their human baby? EWwww!
oops. Off topic.

SPIRIT> The horse movie: .;/ curious, why I order two used copies on Amazon from various vendors long forgotten, and the videos stop before all that civilization annoying breaking the horse and train stuff. It almost reads my mind. But, Does anyone understand WHY the videos keep doing this? Is there something wrong with Pixar? The videos both have original art work on outer and inner DVD. So odd... isn't it? Does anyone else experience this? I lend the videos to my friend and her DVD player also stops at that point. My CPU DVD player also stops on these movies. I don't understand it. I guess we will buy a brand new wrapped movie next time. I thought I bought brand new movies (you know, for the super saver free shipping?) but maybe I'm mistaken. I'll have to find out who the vendor(s) were. so odd.. I usually have great experience with Amazon actually. I've not contacted them yet. I bought these videos so , so, so, long ago...

I actually thought the music was very uplifting! I thought it added to the movie! It was the only way I could , personally, stomach the sad snowfall when Spirit misses his family on the train. This was a very sad movie, actually, but I fast forward, I just can't stand the sad parts. I guess I'm a freak. I like the music! with the movie! So, it's not exactly the kind of music I would listen to at home on my stereo? but for some reason, I think it very much enhanced the movie!
review image
on December 3, 2002
When my brother bought this DVD recently for his sons I didn't think too much of it thinking that it was just some cute little cartoon about a horse for kids. Nothing could be further from the truth however. I found the move so powerful that after about half way through the film, I found myself holding back tears. The sound track by Brain Adams accompanied by Matt Damon's narration (Spirit's thoughts) and the story line make this a powerful and important film for children and adults.
This animated masterpiece is about a wild horse's personal struggle to overcome oppression. He never gives up regardless of his circumstances. Throughout the film, Spirit finds himself in oppressive circumstances at the hands of cowboys and other whites who wish to denie Spirit his freedom. Along the way, Spirit befriends an American Indian who finds himself in similar situations. As Spirit and his friend endure all kinds of hardships, Matt Damon narrates Spirit's thoughts and feelings and Brian Adams sings songs that fit every scene perfectly. The singing and the narration go on throughout the film in the good times and in the bad times. Stories about the struggle against oppression are very inspirational and educational particularly when they have a historical basis.