on March 21, 2012
Format: Kindle Edition
With paranormal stories flooding the market, especially those involving angsty vampires in romantic relationships with innocent mortal girls, it's a refreshing change to read Krista D. Ball's Spirits Rising.
The protagonist of the story is Rachel. She's a lovely protagonist - not superhuman, beautiful like a model and thin like a rail. She's down-to-earth, has a few kilos she needs to lose, has a crush on a man who's taken, and she can't fight the supernatural side all on her own. Plus, her Christian neighbors in her small town think she's a witch and tape flyers about going to hell on her door and don't want her near their kids.
She's wonderful. I love her. She's a real person, with weaknesses and faults, and she doesn't pretend to be someone - or something - that she's not. She's not above asking for help, cursing or drinking to forget her problems. But she's also human in a very good way - sensitive to kindness, touched by others' problems, funny in her own snarky way and self-critical. Honestly, she's one of the big strengths of this story, which, while not very long (it's a novella, but it's book 1 in a series, so there will be more!), it paints a world so vivid you feel like you've been living there for years.
Exactly this, the vivid world-building, is the story's other big strength. This is achieved not only through the use of colorful, three-dimensional secondary characters, who have their own problems, sense of humor, beliefs and lives, but also through a deep knowledge of the place where the story takes place.
If you're like me, then you enjoy stories which take you places and make you feel like you traveled there. If you've never been to Newfoundland in Canada, then this is your chance to get to know the place. The author comes from there and it shows in the depth of detail, the terms used, the food and drink culture, the language, the whole feel of place that permeates the story - from the howling, icy wind to the behavior of Rachel's neighbors. Even just for this, this story is a thousand times worth reading.
Oh and the spirits are unlike any you've ever seen. I wish I could say more, but that would be a spoiler...
But I almost forgot the novel's third big strength: the snarky, funny voice. Fresh and honest, Rachel's voice carries the story and breathes life into it.
I confess I can't wait for the sequel to the tale of this quirky heroine. I highly recommend it to all readers who love the paranormal, but also those who like stories grounded in real life, with strong heroines who don't wait for a prince charming to come and save the day.

Warning: This is not a romance, and it contains no sparkly vampires.

I received a complimentary copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

(For Good Book Alert Book Reviews)
on February 28, 2012
BEC'S REVIEW

Spirits Rising is a novella, making it a rather short read. But that doesn't mean it isn't something that shouldn't be read. However if you are looking for a supernatural romance story of the type that is incredibly popular at the moment, this one is not for you. While Rachel does have a man she pines over there are no romantic relations between her and the man so if you are after romance then this isn't the book for you.

If however you are after ancient ghosts of Vikings and natives to the land threatening Newfoundland while Rachel does her best to attempt to send them back to their peaceful rest with the help of a feisty old woman then perhaps you'll find something of interest within Spirits Rising's pages. I know I did. With a mixture of faiths, prejudice and danger this book kept me on my toes over the several attempts Rachel made to right the wrong the son of a man who despised her had done. There is enough substance within this book's short amount of pages to make a very enjoyable, albeit quick read, and one that I am looking forward to seeing being made into a series (as I believe the author plans to do). I am sure there are more interesting tales in Rachel's future and I look forward to reading them.
on March 17, 2012
Format: Kindle Edition
I won this book from member librarything giveaway in exchange for an honest review.

This book is about Rachel, someone who can sense and banish the dead. She lives in a small town full of Bible pushers and one day, a teenager decides to raise the dead. Too many dead.

Don't get me wrong, I like Rachel. I think she's sarcastic and funny and Mrs. Saunders, the old lady who has been like a second grandmother to her, steals every scene she's in. But the big problem with this book is that nothing really happens. What we see in the first few pages is what we get for the rest of the book. I got tired of Rachel not being able to banish the dead multiple times, tired of her non-relationship with David, and tired of the father of Manny screaming that Rachel is a witch and demon lover over and over.

While it's clearly written and has a couple of promising characters, overall, to me, the book lacks punch and staying power.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 29, 2012
Format: Kindle Edition
A quick, fun, and quirky read. The characters are great and interact well together. Think "The Ghost Whisperer" on steroids. Being able to communicate with spirits is not always a good thing, as Rachel finds out.
There is an elderly neighbor named Mrs. Saunders, you will love her! She's a hoot. I would love a neighbor like her.
I felt this book is a great beginning to a series. I look forward to more stories by Krista Ball. I enjoyed this book, I found it to be unique in many ways.
Ms. Ball's writing style encourages you to read through the book without stopping, in other words, it is a quick, fun read.
on September 10, 2012
Format: Kindle Edition
3.5 Stars as great start to a Paranormal Novella series.

Returning from her Mexico trip and catching up with her elderly neighbor, Mrs. Sauders, Rachel receives a phone call from a young man for help. Thinking he needs a ride home, as she offers to do to all young adults if drinking, but learns the boy of a local Deacon who doesn't much like Rachel has a party in his basement that he didn't throw. Vikings drinking, who are ghosts...in the flesh.

We start with Rachel returning home to Newfoundland after her getaway trip to Mexico, getting away from an unavailable boy she has feelings for, and meet her witty elder neighbor Mrs. Saunders. In the beginning of eleven pages we meet Rachel and Mrs. Saunders and learn much about them and the small town they live in.

The quiet town of Wisemen's Cove has quite a history and people who believe the lore and history. This little town seems to have ghosts every where with the history of this land. We have flesh ghosts making an appearance, and the people seeing these flesh ghosts react as normal and pitch in to fight then mention the ghost they once saw. All going back to the history of the land you learn about, it's old and has been through a lot.

Rachel is talented in that she senses and sees the dead. She escaped to this small town in Newfoundland to, in hopes, escape from the dead she sees, only to find herself even deeper in paranormal than she expected. She just wants to be accepted and normal. Rachel doesn't think she's found that here, since she gets lots of hate mail in the religious front. She is "sensitive in the paranormal" and people think her a witch or devil worshiper and such. But, just maybe, Rachel will find a home and friends when she least expects it.

I do like Rachel's old woman neighbor, Mrs. Saunders. She is strong, bold, and gutsy. A fun character. Jeremy...oh brother. I like him. He sounds cute and like such a nice man. Unfortunately for Rachel (who really has a thing for him) he has a kind girlfriend. He's unaware of Rachel's feelings, and a very good friend of hers.

I enjoyed this quick read and it's a very good start to a paranormal series of short stories. I look forward to reading the next story, and more to come with Rachel.
on August 14, 2012
Format: Kindle Edition
Good:

I received this e book in exchange for a review.

Good:

Mrs. Ball has done it again.

Spirits Rising is an accurate title. She's written another captivating story with a plot that really draws the readers into the story and keeps you turning the pages.

I found Rachael Mills to be a very interesting and memorable character, from her sometimes sarcastic thoughts, to her quirky and witty comments. I especially enjoyed how the author paid attention to the small details on Paranormal aspects.

The chapter titles were well named as well.

Bad:

I found a few typos throughout the book which surprised me and jarred me out of the story a bit. But, not for long.

I didn't care for the lesbian references either because that's not my cup of tea.
on May 13, 2012
Format: Kindle Edition
Spirits Rising is an easy read that mixes up some fun and entertainment for the reader with a woman and her town facing an unusual situation: dead vikings are showing up all over.

While the story was a unique one and somewhat like the Ghost Whisperer television show, I felt that I found myself wondering if this was an introduction to a series, an introduction to a book or the rough draft of something that pushed itself into a story that got published. No real technical flaws or anything of that nature, but the main character constantly reminds herself to "focus" throughout the story and I found that maybe the book needed to heed those words as well at some times. A little more elaboration would have made the special qualities of this book stand out even more.

In particular, keep an eye out for the elderly neighbor, Mrs. Saunders, who is an absolute hoot and worth reading the story for.

Note: Though this book was a free gift from the author, the content of my review was in no way influenced by the gifting. The book speaks for itself and my review would have been worded just this way even if I'd gone out and bought it. I also give bonus points for Text To Speech enabling on Kindle format.... but that also wasn't a factor in the above review.
on May 2, 2012
Format: Kindle Edition
Rachel has just come back from a Mexican vacation to her home in Newfoundland. She's beginning to think that this isn't the place for her, after falling for a man already in another relationship. That's not to mention that she is seemingly hated by her neighbors. If you found religious tracts on your door on a near daily basis telling you that you were going to Hell, you'd think you were unwanted too. She also serves as a designated driver for local teens, much to their parents dismay since they believe she is giving the children opportunity to drink.

So when Rachel gets a call from Manny, she is ready to help him. She goes to his house thinking perhaps he had been drinking. Even worse, his dad is the pastor at the local church and clearly doesn't like Rachel. But Manny (and everyone else in town) knows Rachel is special, she can sense spirits around her.

When she gets to his house she finds mayhem. Mayhem in the form of Viking spirits come to life in flesh and blood...destructive flesh and blood. And since she is sensitive to the paranormal, it is up to her to fix the situation.

This book had a lot of action and a bit of history. I found it a lot of fun to read. The characters were vivid and interesting to learn about. The plot was great. The action was exciting. The only downside is that there are definitely some unanswered questions to issues brought up in the story. Hopefully those will be addressed further in the series, as this is #1 in the Spirit Caller series. I also think that maybe some sort of prequel would be awesome, because as far as Rachel's romantic story, it kind of feels like we are entering right in the middle of something that could be very interesting.

All in all, I'd definitely recommend this book. It dealt with the paranormal in a way that we don't see too often, Vikings and aboriginal Newfies. I've never been to Newfoundland, but the descriptions of the area were so vivid, I felt like I was already there.
on February 29, 2012
Format: Kindle Edition
This is the story of Rachel, who is sensitive to paranormal activity. She has moved to a small town in Newfoundland hoping to get a little respite from spirits. She is the one teenagers call when they have been drinking and she gives them a ride home so they are safe. One evening she gets a call from a teenager Manuel who has a problem-he has summoned Viking spirits and they are drinking and trashing his parents basement. Rachel, with the help of her 93 year old neighbor Mrs. Saunders, has to figure out how to banish all these Viking spirits plus other spirits that show up before they hurt someone or do more damage.

This novelette was a quick read and there is definitely room for more in the series. Mrs. Saunders was my favorite of the characters. I would like to see Rachel develop more into a heroine instead of appearing to always need help. Overall I liked the story and will be looking for more from this author.

I received this ebook free through LibraryThing member giveaways in exchange for an honest review.
on April 9, 2014
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
I want what to expect when I started reading the book yet it was really cool when the Vikings and In f Ian's came into the story. There was action, adventure, humor- I really loved the 93 year old woman. Thought it might be a little bit of romance but didn't turn out like I was hoping on that part. Sure thought there was going to be a sequel yet there isn't and had a good ending. Good read
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...