5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent source for the spiritual leader!
Published on July 15, 2002 by Michael Taylor

3.0 out of 5 stars All good principles, poor presentation
Published on September 4, 2011 by K Huisman

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent source for the spiritual leader!, July 15, 2002
This review is from: Spiritual Leadership: Moving People on to God's Agenda (Hardcover)
Having read several leadership books as an Air Force Officer and seminary student, I can honestly say that this is the best book on the subject I have ever read! Blackabay's fluent writing style is consistent with his other titles, notably "Experiencing God" and "The Power of the Call". At the very beginning Blackaby differentiates between worldly leadership and spiritual leadership.
Throughout the book Blackaby describes his own leadership experiences and includes interesting stories of famous leaders (Truman, Reagan, Churchill, Thatcher, Napoleon, and Iacocca). As a minister, Blackaby also draws upon several examples from the Bible (Moses, Abraham, Joshua, David, Paul, etc.) and how they prospered and struggled in their God-called responsibilities.
Particularly compelling were the descriptions of: the 3 types of worthy and misguided goals, how a leader influences, time wasters, pitfalls of leadership, having God's affirmation, God's ways are different from the world's ways, improving decision-making, taking time for rest, and relying on the Holy Spirit/prayer/God's Word/wise counsel to make and stick with hard decisions.
Whenever I read a book I like to list on the inside front covers the page number and synopsis of a particularly interesting point or thought for easy reference. When I finished reading this gem the entire inside front cover was chock full of notes! Needless to say, this text will be referred to several times in the future.
Everyone will greatly benefit from this book: the Christian believer will gain great encouragement to lead from a biblical viewpoint while the non-Christian will be encouraged to consider life from the Christian point-of-view. With the failures the world has recently seen in religious and secular leadership, Blackaby's text is a timely arrival. His book is a welcomed relief from the rah-rah-rah motivational hype of other "leadership" books.
I recommend anyone in a leadership role (and everyone is a leader in some way) to buy the book, get a pen/pencil to take notes with, and learn how to become a better leader!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent easy to read leadership book, February 1, 2008
I found this book very engaging and was able to read through it without multiple pickups. By this I mean, that I didn't put it down for a few weeks and then pick it up again. Instead, I read through it in about four days. Overall, the book was very good. The only area I would have liked to have seen greater depth was in the decision making process. This was one of the shorter chapters and I felt the authors could have gone a little deeper here.

From a Christian perspective on leadership, this book would definitely be in my top five choices along with The Revolutionary Communicator, The Book on Leadership, Lead Like Jesus, and Christian Reflections on the Leadership Challenge. These other four are fine reads as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of the best in Leadership Reading, August 13, 2001
I have been a secular (although I am a Christian) Business Consultant and Leadership Development Consultant for over 14 years and this is BY FAR the best I have yet read. This book has become required reading for ALL of my Leadership Workshops and I have given the books to many Business Leaders as a gift. The Blackaby's have delivered their message in a clear, easy to understand format and totaly absent of the "Author Focus",(diverting the attention to the brilliance of the author rather than the importance of the message)often found in so many contemporary writings. They accurately discribe modern "man made" leadership ideologies and with equal accuracy point to the flaws and shortcommings of those leadership methods. Most all leaders are constantly wrestling with question "why don't more people do what I would like them to do?" and we are forever looking for new and more meaningfull methods by which to lead those entrusted into our care. Simply put, we always are reminded of the shortcommings of our leadership skills, otherwise, why would we be looking for a new book in the first place. The Backaby's challenge all leaders with this dilemna with a simple, yet brilliant question..."What is it about YOUR leadership that makes others NOT WANT to follow you?" Instead of chasing yet another brilliant theory or yet another brilliant method, the authors challenge US... what is at the center of our motivation and what, if anything, is our guidance system? Spiritual Leadership answers that question and brings to life an ideology that will render any future pursuit of a "new way of looking at things", un-necessary. Above and beyond all (the point which literally changed the way I feel, think and teach)they clearly send the message that no matter how brilliant our leadership theories may be, how well read on the subject we all are, how articulate we may be on the subject of leadership and no matter how well intended our leadership efforts may be,if our leadership is not lead by the holy spirit and we as leaders don't ask for his guidance in our roles as leaders...we simply will fall short of where we could be. If a Leader is in fact dedicated to being the absolute most EFFECTIVE leader that he / she would like to be, then this book is an absolute "must read" whether you're a believer or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Best Book on Leadership I Have Read!, June 24, 2002
This work by Richard and Henry Blackaby is the absolute best book on leadership I have read. Having recently graduated with a doctorate in evangelism and church growth, and possessing a passion for reading pastoral material, I have read numerous books on leadership. All of them pale in comparison to this volume.
The authors focus upon a leader's relationship with God as the key to effective leadership. From this relationship flow a leader's vision, goals, influence, and decision-making. All of the basic leadership principles are covered in this book, but they are addressed from the perspective of one's relationship with God. This perspective is what makes this work so unique and so valuable.
I strongly recommend this book to all pastors, church leaders and even to Christian leaders in secular organizations as a "must read." Before reading the volumes of material available from Maxwell, Schaller and other noted leadership authors, try this one! It will transform the way you view leadership as a Christian.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spiritual Leadership: Moving People on to God's Agenda, January 8, 2002
Having recently graduated from a Theological institute with a degree in Leadership, I have come quite well read in the area of Christian/Spiritual Leadership. Richard and Henry Blackaby handle this topic in a fashion unlike any other author. They focus the Christian leader's attention on their own personal life, causing the reader to reflect on their life and their relationship to Christ - and that's where Spiritual leadership begins. In a field inundated with discussion on "Visionary Leadership" the Blackabys remind us of the "vision-giver". We, as Christian leaders "do not sell visions, we share revelations." I would recommend this work to anyone [CEO to pastor, father to deacon] seeking to better their leadership abilities in the Christian arena.

4.0 out of 5 stars Must Reading for Novice Preachers, September 14, 2003
Robert Wynkoop (Washington State) - See all my reviews
I am a big fan of Blackabys Experiencing God and was looking forward to reading his book on Spiritual Leadership. It was not what I expected. It is an excellent book on leadership, but it is more of a primer novice for leaders than a book for experienced leaders who want to sharpen their leadership skills and character.
But as a primer, it is excellent. Blackaby leads the reader though a list of topics to equip pastors to be spiritual leaders. It runs the gauntlet from The Leaders Challenge to The Leader's Pitfalls and just about everything in between. Like Experiencing God, the Blackabys intersperse their personal experiences with Spiritual Leadership as application.
What makes this book unique is Blackabys emphasis on the spiritual part of leadership. They reject the influence of business models of leadership, specially Collins and Porras advice in Built to Last (BEHAGs - Big Hairy Audacious Goals) and urge the reader to recognize the work of God in the world and to join God in his work.
The authors discussion on vision gives the reader an example of how the Blackabys view spiritual leadership. They criticize leaders who try to get people to buy into their vision. Spiritual leaders should not sell vision, they say; rather, they share what God has revealed to them and trust that the Holy Spirit will confirm that same vision in the hearts of their people. So the job of the leader is to bring the people face to face with God so they can hear from God directly and not through the leader. The Blackabys, however, fail to adequately inform the pastor how to do this. The obvious consequence of this kind of vision casting is that pastors with weak leadership skills would observe where God is at work, ineffectively communicate that vision to their congregations, meet internal resistance, and then conclude that this must not be where God is leading them.
For instance, the Blackabys are Baptist. The averaged Baptist pastor stays in his church for only about 2.5 years. There is a reason for this. Although most Baptist churches are board led, they are for all intents and purposes congregational in their polity. Thus, in many churches, even the most inane proposal must be but through a relentless series of committees and votes. This kind of governance does not tolerate strong leadership very well. If the pastor has a vision from God, he must communicate that vision and trust that the Holy Spirit will confirm it in the hearts of a committee system. This assumes that everyone on all those board and committees is listening to God and is seeking God. In reality, the pastor gets something else; he gets an agenda that is set by the least spiritual, most obstinate member of the congregation.
There is an ethereal quality about leadership that many good leaders do not understand. They have it and they assume that the rest of us, if we just do what they do, will have it. But leadership is much more difficult than this. In this regard, John Maxwell, Oswald Sanders and Bill Hull do a much better job equipping pastors to be leaders. It is a good book, but my fear is that weak, timid leaders will use it as an excuse to do nothing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, but not the best, January 9, 2007
The book differentiates between worldly leadership and spiritual leadership, the leader's relationship with God being the key to his/her ability to lead effectively and appropriately. The author's move through eleven chapters each focusing on one key aspect of the leader's life, from The Leaders Challenge (chapter 1), to The Leaders Character (chapter 5), to The Leaders Pitfalls (chapter 11).

List strengths of book.

I found the emphasis on the spiritual aspect of leadership to be very refreshing, not to mention accurate! The book is rooted in biblical principles and is focused on helping the leader to make godly decisions in all that he does. The definition of leadership was also very refreshing: "Spiritual Leadership is moving people on to God's agenda" (p. 20). I liked the parallel with Robert Clinton's book on "The Making of a Leader" concerning how God develops leaders. I also found the "Concepts and Scriptures for Consideration" at the end of each chapter to be very helpful.

List weaknesses of book.

I found very little to consider as a weakness of this book. The only issue might be that at times it was not always practical. There are times when the authors will share how something needs to be in the life of the leader without following up with clear practical ways/steps to accomplish the desired issue. However, I did not find this to be the case very often in the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource for Christian leaders in the corporate world, April 6, 2008
The Blackablys have done a thorough job in researching and summarizing today's secular leadership teaching then contrasting it with spiritual leadership. They point out that many of the principles of secular leadership are of value but the underlying principle of spiritual leadership that differs from secular leadership is that we are to seek God's agenda and not our own. To make their point, early in the book they discuss Jesus as the model for spiritual leadership. Jesus, the very Son of God, did not seek His own agenda, but rather spent hours in prayer to align himself with God's agenda.

The Blackabys also do a great job teaching that spritual leadership is not just for leaders in the church. Spiritual leadership is also required of Christians that are in secular leadership roles. They give us many examples of US Presidents as well as military and corporate leaders that have aligned themselves to God's agenda and have been effective.

We are living in a world that is growing in complexity and the demands on leadership are ever increasing. The Blackabys have shown what an advantage spiritual leaders have in being able to align ourselves to the agenda of a wise and loving God rather than attempting to create our own agenda.

3.0 out of 5 stars All good principles, poor presentation, September 4, 2011
I have nothing to say against the content of this book my issue is with the length and presentation. I found after having to read multiply chapters a night for a modular class the extensive amount of examples and stories began to distract from the principal being taught. I think the extensive areas of leadership covered is great but the "Revised and Expanded" dragged it on and on. Check out the original version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, June 24, 2011
Punny "LOG" (Euguene, OR United States) - See all my reviews
I use this book in a class I teach at our college on Biblical Leadership. Almost every sentence contains a gem that students underline, write down, or want to remember.

One of the best books I have ever read on being a spiritual leader

Highly recommended for pastors, leaders, and students.

Spiritual Leadership: Moving People on to God's Agenda
Spiritual Leadership: Moving People on to God's Agenda by Henry T. Blackaby (Hardcover - May 15, 2001)
Used & New from: $0.24