Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

I've tried other thermometers, but got frustrated waiting endlessly while they slowly ticked upward. I don't have that problem with the Thermapen. With the others, I spent too much time with my head in the oven (and the heat getting out) and it finally occurred to me that I'd be better off paying for a really good FAST thermometer that would work in a variety of settings. I bake bread and like to check the internal temperature of large loaves to ensure proper doneness, but don't much want a big hole in the bottom. The probe on the Thermapen is very slender so the hole is significantly smaller than when I've used the others.

Another thing I like is that when you open the Thermapen, it's instant on, close it and it's off. The changeable battery is easily accessible when, and if, you need to change it, ensuring a very long life.

One bonus for me is that I may be cooking a single serving of something so there isn't much space to insert a thermometer. The sensor in this probe is quite near the end so you don't have to insert it very far to get a good reading. The only thing I don't like is that being left-handed, the display is on the wrong side for me, so I have to consciously think to hold it in my right hand in order to read it.

I ended up with my multitude of probe thermometers because none of them really did the job satisfactorily. Happily, this thermometer is really effective. While I don't plan to get it wet, who knows, the kitchen is a volatile place, so I decided to spend a little more for the water resistant version to ensure that wouldn't be a problem. It doesn't clip on to a pan so doesn't work for candy, but I've used it for just about everything else and am very satisfied.
2121 comments| 370 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 14, 2010
I have the prior model but the comments still apply.

Very simply, there are two things to say about the Thermapen.

1. A hundred bucks for a thermometer?!

2. It's the best kitchen thermometer, with no competition.

So, yes, $100 means that you need to be a serious cook to need this. If you're not, there are perfectly able "instant-read" thermometers for $10-20 and you should get one of those, try it in boiling water to confirm that it's accurate (it probably will be) and use it. It will be perfectly fine.

But if you are a serious cook, you will appreciate that instant read for this product means under ten seconds (I think the new model is faster) but for the $15 ones, it means more like 30.

This product is fast, dead-accurate, and has a tiny probe that lets you take pinpoint readings.

You don't HAVE to have this. Unless you're like me, and you HAVE to have it.

Update: Do shop around and look at Thermoworks' website. They have various models and sometimes have sales.

Further update: I agree with the comments people like Kimberly have added -- get it at Thermoworks' own website, as the sellers here seem to be profiteering.
1313 comments| 320 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 21, 2016
This is a fantastic Thermometer but I am placing this review at 1 star because for some reason Amazon is selling this at a 50% premium to the price you can find elsewhere (even the Thermoworks site is way cheaper) which I find completely unacceptable. Batteries lasted for years before I replaced them and my cooking has improved in amazing ways now that I can just get an accurate temp quickly. This probe is so fast to react, I can even get an accurate temperature gradient across something very thick by pushing it through slowly. Buy it but beware, it should only be costing you around a hundred or less.
77 comments| 87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 11, 2009
I bought one of these just over a year ago now. My wife thought I was nuts when she found out how much it was. I have to say I am SERIOUSLY impressed - no waiting on temperature reads. Stick it in and "BAM!" it tells you in under a second what the temp. is. I've used it for making mochas/lattes, meats on the grill, breads, just about anything I can poke with it.

Well worth the money.
0Comment| 130 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 24, 2010
One of my favorite kitchen gadgets, period. Worth every penny. I had a previous model, but eventually water seepage did it in. I just bought the new water-resistant model. So my comments are about the pen in general.

Get it. It's worth it! I'm not wasting as much meat and foods, from over or undercooking. It's paid for itself. And we're getting more enjoyment from our meals--tender, perfectly done roast or chicken, custard, fish, whatever. Yes, it will work with small thicknesses of fish. I know when my oil is ready, and when what temp my water bath is. Grilling is so much easier. And I don't have to hold my oven door open long at all when taking a reading, so there's less up and down heat cycling.

The digital display has large numbers which are easy to read. It's highly accurate, time after time, and dead simple to use. Flip it out, take a reading, clean, and close.

Tip: instead of buying an expensive case, I got a 50 cent vinyl and lined eyeglasses sleeve-style case at the thrift store. That's enough protection for it in my kitchen drawer.

Also, I wash my tip after use, and set the pen's base across the little cutlery holder in my dish drain, being sure to angle the metal probe downwards, so that water doesn't migrate back towards the electronics, if I was busy and didn't have the time to dry it right that second. I believe that my husband using damp hands once too often might've been my first one's demise. I'm excited to be getting a new water-resistant one. But I'll still take that precaution when washing and drying it.

I can't recommend this tool highly enough. Wish I'd had it decades ago.
11 comment| 80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 26, 2012
In the video, I discusses the accuracy and a few of the features of the Thermapen.

Pros:
- Splash-proof case
- Water resistant
- Quick read
- Accurate
- Auto-shut off

Cons:
- Display is not backlit

Feel free to ask any questions I did not address in the comments.
on July 2, 2010
After trying many lower-priced thermometers with not much success, I finally bit the bullet and purchased a thermapen. The 89 dollar price tag was tough to swallow but after many frustrating experiences with several ridiculously bad thermometers (most of which ended up in the trash) I was desperate for a thermometer I could rely on. Because Cooks Illustrated recommends this product highly and they have rarely steered me wrong, I was able to purchase my Thermapen with some confidence.

I have now owned my Thermapen for about 4 years and I absolutely love it. This thing is always spot on accurate and it spits out results in lightning speed. I use mine for just about any cooking application that requires temperature reading...taking internal temperatures of meats, reading temps of sauces, I even use mine for candy making! No more burnt caramel with my Thermapen! And all of my custards, curds and the like turn out perfectly. It can be a little tricky using it for high heat applications like caramel. While the tip is longer than most instant reads, it does require you to hold it close to the heat, which gets uncomfortable, but b/c the results are so fast you can pull it out rather quickly. Also the sensor is low enough on the shaft that you only need a shallow amount of liquid to pull a reading, however you do have to be careful not to let the tip touch the bottom of the pan which can give you an inaccurate temp. The one thing I DON'T like about it, and why it has earned one less star, is that the auto shut off is much too quick. While I do like that feature (it saves me from inadvertently running out the battery) it is frustrating when I am making things that rely on precision temperature reading (like candy making). It is constantly shutting off on me while I am at those crucial final minutes of boiling and I have to manually shut the device and reopen it get it on again, which is awkward and messy when you have oozy substances on the tip. It also is stressful when you are at those final critical seconds shooting for that precise temperature and you go to pull a reading and the device has shut off! GRRRRR!! I feel a longer automatic shut off (like 10 minutes) would have been a much better choice when designing this thermometer. If it weren't for that, I would have absolutely no issues with my Thermapen. However, it should be noted that if you are someone who will not be using the Thermapen for those kinds of applications, then this will not be an issue for you. Because other than that, the Thermapen is simply W-O-N-D-E-R-F-U-L. Super fast, spot on accurate, easy to clean, easy to use. It is worth every penny of its hefty price tag and more. One of my favorite things in my whole kitchen!!
1212 comments| 103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 22, 2016
I absolutely love the Thermapen. Having said that, I suggest that you use "Due Diligence" before making this purchase. First of all, they do not mention that this product is being offered by a re-seller and as a result does not carry a factory warranty. You should also question their discount claims, and that is all I am allowed to say. Amazon rejected my first review which spelled out the situation in detail. Just be advised, you should do your homework, including visiting the manufacturer's website.
on June 3, 2016
ThermoWorks makes outstanding cooking thermometers, but this 1-Star Rating has important reasons: There are significant differences between the first ThermoWorks Thermapen (the Classic model introduced in 2009), and the new ThermoWorks Thermapen "MK4" (introduced in 2015). The MK4 has a backlight that automatically turns on when it's dark. This backlight automatically turns off when you set down the unit. The backlight is very helpful when barbequing outdoors in the evening. In addition, the display on the MK4 automatically rotates, so you can read it right-side up in any position. Finally, the MK4 has improved water resistance. Both the Classic and the MK4 provide almost instant (in 3 seconds) accurate temperature readings (within 1 degree F.). This is critical when barbequing meats that take only 10 minutes to cook. If you like Medium Done (pink in the middle), then beef steaks, pork chops, and lamb chops need to be cooked to 145 degrees F. If you want to avoid food poisoning, then hamburgers need to be cooked to 160 degrees F., and chicken needs to be cooked to 165 degrees F. There is wide professional agreement that the new "MK4" is the best food thermometer on the market. However, before you order, IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU GO TO THE THERMOWORKS WEBSITE. You can guess the ThermoWorks web address, or you can just Google the name ThermoWorks. LOOK AT THE YELLOW STRIPE AT THE TOP OF EACH THERMOWORKS WEBPAGE, AND READ THE "WARNING REGARDING THERMOWORKS PRODUCTS." In the Yellow Stripe, click "More Info" and then "Extended Info." If you don't do this, you will be very sorry about the price you pay and the warranty you get. The issues were previously mentioned in a Customer Review on February 21, 2016, and in other people's Questions and Answers. Finally, consider buying the ThermoWorks DOT Cooking Alarm (which comes with a High Temp Straight Penetration Probe) and a Pro-Series High Temp Air Probe with Grate Clip (which can be plugged into the DOT). Then by alternating which probe is plugged into the DOT, you can continuously monitor the temperature of meats that take hours to cook (like brisket), and you can check your actual barbeque temperature (because your grill thermometer is probably not accurate). Both the MK4 and the DOT are easiest to see if you get them in bright colors that contrast with the color of your grill.
on January 30, 2016
To be honest, I love this thermo pen but how can people pay $150.00 for this when you can go on their website and pay regular price??

I have owned this for a few years and it has been indispensable for baking and BBQing. My only complaint was the shipping. The shipper lives in the same city but I still had to pay for full shipping.