Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: ThermoWorks Super-Fast Thermapen (Teal) Professional Thermocouple Cooking Thermometer
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

I've tried other thermometers, but got frustrated waiting endlessly while they slowly ticked upward. I don't have that problem with the Thermapen. With the others, I spent too much time with my head in the oven (and the heat getting out) and it finally occurred to me that I'd be better off paying for a really good FAST thermometer that would work in a variety of settings. I bake bread and like to check the internal temperature of large loaves to ensure proper doneness, but don't much want a big hole in the bottom. The probe on the Thermapen is very slender so the hole is significantly smaller than when I've used the others.

Another thing I like is that when you open the Thermapen, it's instant on, close it and it's off. The changeable battery is easily accessible when, and if, you need to change it, ensuring a very long life.

One bonus for me is that I may be cooking a single serving of something so there isn't much space to insert a thermometer. The sensor in this probe is quite near the end so you don't have to insert it very far to get a good reading. The only thing I don't like is that being left-handed, the display is on the wrong side for me, so I have to consciously think to hold it in my right hand in order to read it.

I ended up with my multitude of probe thermometers because none of them really did the job satisfactorily. Happily, this thermometer is really effective. While I don't plan to get it wet, who knows, the kitchen is a volatile place, so I decided to spend a little more for the water resistant version to ensure that wouldn't be a problem. It doesn't clip on to a pan so doesn't work for candy, but I've used it for just about everything else and am very satisfied.
2121 comments|368 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 14, 2010
I have the prior model but the comments still apply.

Very simply, there are two things to say about the Thermapen.

1. A hundred bucks for a thermometer?!

2. It's the best kitchen thermometer, with no competition.

So, yes, $100 means that you need to be a serious cook to need this. If you're not, there are perfectly able "instant-read" thermometers for $10-20 and you should get one of those, try it in boiling water to confirm that it's accurate (it probably will be) and use it. It will be perfectly fine.

But if you are a serious cook, you will appreciate that instant read for this product means under ten seconds (I think the new model is faster) but for the $15 ones, it means more like 30.

This product is fast, dead-accurate, and has a tiny probe that lets you take pinpoint readings.

You don't HAVE to have this. Unless you're like me, and you HAVE to have it.

Update: Do shop around and look at Thermoworks' website. They have various models and sometimes have sales.
1111 comments|318 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 21, 2016
This is a fantastic Thermometer but I am placing this review at 1 star because for some reason Amazon is selling this at a 50% premium to the price you can find elsewhere (even the Thermoworks site is way cheaper) which I find completely unacceptable. Batteries lasted for years before I replaced them and my cooking has improved in amazing ways now that I can just get an accurate temp quickly. This probe is so fast to react, I can even get an accurate temperature gradient across something very thick by pushing it through slowly. Buy it but beware, it should only be costing you around a hundred or less.
66 comments|66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 11, 2009
I bought one of these just over a year ago now. My wife thought I was nuts when she found out how much it was. I have to say I am SERIOUSLY impressed - no waiting on temperature reads. Stick it in and "BAM!" it tells you in under a second what the temp. is. I've used it for making mochas/lattes, meats on the grill, breads, just about anything I can poke with it.

Well worth the money.
0Comment|129 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 24, 2010
One of my favorite kitchen gadgets, period. Worth every penny. I had a previous model, but eventually water seepage did it in. I just bought the new water-resistant model. So my comments are about the pen in general.

Get it. It's worth it! I'm not wasting as much meat and foods, from over or undercooking. It's paid for itself. And we're getting more enjoyment from our meals--tender, perfectly done roast or chicken, custard, fish, whatever. Yes, it will work with small thicknesses of fish. I know when my oil is ready, and when what temp my water bath is. Grilling is so much easier. And I don't have to hold my oven door open long at all when taking a reading, so there's less up and down heat cycling.

The digital display has large numbers which are easy to read. It's highly accurate, time after time, and dead simple to use. Flip it out, take a reading, clean, and close.

Tip: instead of buying an expensive case, I got a 50 cent vinyl and lined eyeglasses sleeve-style case at the thrift store. That's enough protection for it in my kitchen drawer.

Also, I wash my tip after use, and set the pen's base across the little cutlery holder in my dish drain, being sure to angle the metal probe downwards, so that water doesn't migrate back towards the electronics, if I was busy and didn't have the time to dry it right that second. I believe that my husband using damp hands once too often might've been my first one's demise. I'm excited to be getting a new water-resistant one. But I'll still take that precaution when washing and drying it.

I can't recommend this tool highly enough. Wish I'd had it decades ago.
11 comment|79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 26, 2012
In the video, I discusses the accuracy and a few of the features of the Thermapen.

Pros:
- Splash-proof case
- Water resistant
- Quick read
- Accurate
- Auto-shut off

Cons:
- Display is not backlit

Feel free to ask any questions I did not address in the comments.
on July 2, 2010
After trying many lower-priced thermometers with not much success, I finally bit the bullet and purchased a thermapen. The 89 dollar price tag was tough to swallow but after many frustrating experiences with several ridiculously bad thermometers (most of which ended up in the trash) I was desperate for a thermometer I could rely on. Because Cooks Illustrated recommends this product highly and they have rarely steered me wrong, I was able to purchase my Thermapen with some confidence.

I have now owned my Thermapen for about 4 years and I absolutely love it. This thing is always spot on accurate and it spits out results in lightning speed. I use mine for just about any cooking application that requires temperature reading...taking internal temperatures of meats, reading temps of sauces, I even use mine for candy making! No more burnt caramel with my Thermapen! And all of my custards, curds and the like turn out perfectly. It can be a little tricky using it for high heat applications like caramel. While the tip is longer than most instant reads, it does require you to hold it close to the heat, which gets uncomfortable, but b/c the results are so fast you can pull it out rather quickly. Also the sensor is low enough on the shaft that you only need a shallow amount of liquid to pull a reading, however you do have to be careful not to let the tip touch the bottom of the pan which can give you an inaccurate temp. The one thing I DON'T like about it, and why it has earned one less star, is that the auto shut off is much too quick. While I do like that feature (it saves me from inadvertently running out the battery) it is frustrating when I am making things that rely on precision temperature reading (like candy making). It is constantly shutting off on me while I am at those crucial final minutes of boiling and I have to manually shut the device and reopen it get it on again, which is awkward and messy when you have oozy substances on the tip. It also is stressful when you are at those final critical seconds shooting for that precise temperature and you go to pull a reading and the device has shut off! GRRRRR!! I feel a longer automatic shut off (like 10 minutes) would have been a much better choice when designing this thermometer. If it weren't for that, I would have absolutely no issues with my Thermapen. However, it should be noted that if you are someone who will not be using the Thermapen for those kinds of applications, then this will not be an issue for you. Because other than that, the Thermapen is simply W-O-N-D-E-R-F-U-L. Super fast, spot on accurate, easy to clean, easy to use. It is worth every penny of its hefty price tag and more. One of my favorite things in my whole kitchen!!
1212 comments|103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 6, 2010
I had an older model thermapen and you couldnt pry it out of my hands. That was an awsome unit. This one is EVEN better. I went to buy batteries for my older unit and saw that Thermoworks had updated their thermapen! I HAD TO HAVE IT. I actually sold my old unit on an online auction site (u know which) and only lost $5.00 when I sold it !!!!!!! I used it for three years and it only cost me FIVE BUCKS ! ! ! ! I paid $82.00...... Sold it for $77.00 ! ! ! ! !! The person that bought it was STILL THRILLED ! ! ! !You can NOT beat these.

Anyway, the new unit is splashproof, slicker looking, battery life that is UNBELIEVABLE, and now measures to two digits. I compared both the old unit and the new unit next to each other, and as sad as it sounds, the old one was as accurate as the new. No points off for the new unit though.

Also.. Do yourself a favor and get the leather case for this. It is a fine instrument, and should be respected as such. (ok....in reality, I just love mine and the case is a nice touch to keep the thermapen from getting scratched up in a drawer.- Besides you spend that much $$ for a thermometer, JUST GET THE CASE TOO !!)

The ONLY thing this is missing (hello thermoworks!) is a lock for the temperature.. P L E A S E thermoworks! Do that and Ill buy that one too! These things are like the iPhone to me, I always HAVE to have the latest!!! You'll see when you buy yours!
33 comments|45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 4, 2010
Be warned, the readings never stop changing. They don't lock in on a reading. My friend got one on my recommendation and the first time he used it he complained that he waited and waited for it to stop changing in his steak. I checked his unit in an ice bath and it stops in 2.8 seconds at 32.0F. It got to 33 F in something like 1.7 seconds. I had a hard time getting the button pushed on my stopwatch it was so fast. In meat, the readings are changing because the meat temperature is changing. My Thermapen always zooms into the meat temperature within 2 seconds and then the tenths change a bit. The meat is still cooking so you have to expect that an accurate and sensitive thermometer should see that. A dial thermometer won't see it at all. After the meat has been pulled from the heat and has sat there for awhile, the Thermapen readings don't change much because the meat is not changing much. The Thermapen is a must have! Insert the tip to the center of the thickest part of your steak, the diplay will change REALLY fast, then slow. By three seconds you're seeing the actual temperature and any change is the REAL change going on in the meat right this minute. By the way, the two Thermapens I've tested are dead-on in an ice bath and in boiling water.
on March 22, 2016
I absolutely love the Thermapen. Having said that, I suggest that you use "Due Diligence" before making this purchase. First of all, they do not mention that this product is being offered by a re-seller and as a result does not carry a factory warranty. You should also question their discount claims, and that is all I am allowed to say. Amazon rejected my first review which spelled out the situation in detail. Just be advised, you should do your homework, including visiting the manufacturer's website.