5.0 out of 5 stars Here are some helpful tips!
Published on September 30, 2010 by waxy_pallor

1.0 out of 5 stars I really rather rate this -5
I did not get what I ordered, yes I got Splat gloves, yes I got the splat box, but what I didn't get was the Splat color or bleach I got something that was Revlon I don't even know what color it is, just two bottles that say Revlon I put pictures up under customer images, and the box was smashed and in an inappropriate package. DO NOT buy from adfaz1 or AmericanRX, they...
Published on December 11, 2011 by S. Brainin

5.0 out of 5 stars Here are some helpful tips!, September 30, 2010
I love Splat and I have been using it for over a year. I've tried just about every brand of purple hair dye, and this is by far the best! It lasts for about 4 months on my hair and then fades to a lavender that is very pretty--I like it even better than the initial color! My natural hair color is a medium ash blonde, and I've never had to bleach it, the Splat just covers it right up. I know lots of people like special effects, but this color is much stronger and lasts a lot longer, and it is very gentle on your hair without any damage or stripping. I've applied Splat "lusty lavender" about 8 times, and here are my "pro tips":

1) The color will change in intensity depending on how much product you put in your hair during dying. If you don't put in enough goo, it will turn out very light. I think the reviewers who got a pink color just didn't use enough product. If you use a ton of it, it will be very dark and deep. If you use a medium amount, it will be a medium purple. Be sure to comb it all the way through so it's not streaky. Buy two boxes--that way you know you will have enough, and if you have extra you can use it for root touch-ups! Also, make sure your hair is perfectly squeaky-clean and un-conditioned before you apply--if it's oily at all, the dye won't soak in as well.

2) It will stain your skin--use petroleum jelly on your ears, neck and forehead. ALL good hair dyes stain your skin, if it's something that soaks into your hair, it's going to soak into your skin too. I always use latex gloves when applying and rinsing, because they fit better than the dumb plasticky gloves. Also, put down some glad press n' seal on the bathroom counter top.

3) When you get the dye in, pin or clip your hair up and wrap your head in press n' seal. I usually let it sit for a couple of hours. It's just a stain, not a developer, so it won't fry your hair. You could leave it in all day if you want to. Also, don't shampoo your hair for a week or so after you dye it, so that it has time to "set".

4) When you rinse it out, your hair will not rinse clear unless you are using cold water. If you use warm water, the water will always be a little pink, even after a few months of shampooing, but it's not a big deal.

5) Your towels will become purple. As long as your hair is wet, it will stain towels, pillowcases, and your neck, but when your hair is dry it won't stain at all. If you sleep a little bit sweaty, it might re-hydrate the dry hair next to your face and stain your skin a little bit pink, so for the first week or so, try to keep it away from your face and neck while your sleeping.

6) Compared with other hair dyes I've used, it rinses out of the tub really easily. If something is stained, you can dissolve the stain with an ammonia-based cleaner and give it a go with a Mr. Clean magic eraser and it will come right off.

7) People will stare at you! I sometimes forget that my hair is purple, and then I'm like, "jeez, why am I getting all these weird looks?" ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly Great Product, April 2, 2011
This review is from: Splat Rebellious Colors Complete Kit Pink Fetish (Health and Beauty)
I used Splat's Pink Fetish, which worked wonderfully to turn my hair into radioactive pink. Granted, this product will work differently for different people.

I am male, my hair started out exactly 16mm long, and my hair is naturally dark blonde. Given this amount of hair and this already light hair color, the provided hair bleach and hair dye were more than enough for me. I had the hair bleach in my hair for about a half hour, which thoroughly bleached my hair to a very light golden color.

This is the first time I have ever had any coloration or bleaching of my hair done, and I did this completely by myself.

Some reviewers complain of getting boils and other skin problems from the hair dye. This did not happen to me, nor does it happen to most people. However, there is a warning about this on the bottle. Some people's skin is allergic to the hair dye. The instructions give a recommended 24 hour skin test to perform before doing the full hair dye. I skipped this test and lucked out, but it would be a good idea to do it. Just plan on waiting 24 hours before performing the real hair dye.

Here is the list of items I used:
- Latex gloves. The gloves provided in the kit are enormous, and you will need at least two sets of gloves.
- Splat Pink hair dye kit
- Glad Plastic Wrap
- Petroleum jelly
- Paper Towels
- Plastic hair cap / shower cap
- Hand-held mirror, in addition to the fixed bathroom mirror

Here is the procedure I followed:
- Wash hair with a bar of plain soap in shower
- Dry hair thoroughly
- Apply petroleum jelly on forehead, ears, and all around the hair line
- Bleach hair using Splat's provided bleach. Follow bleach directions and make sure to use gloves. Do not be afraid to put on the bleach. You want to cover the entirety of your hair as quickly as possible. Do the odd places, like the outer edge of your hair and the back of your head first.
- Leave in the bleach for one hour, or less if it is working well. It was obvious after about 30 minutes that my hair was extremely light. I did not use a hair cap for this, but I did wash my hands with water and then sprinkle the water onto my hair to keep the bleaching agent wet. It stops working when it dries out.
- Wash hair with soap and water in shower
- Put down plastic wrap in the sink and on the counter
- Petroleum jelly on ears, neck, forehead, and all around hairline
- Put the dye into your hair, making sure to get everything. Use a fresh pair of gloves for this.
- Put shower cap on and wait for 2-4 hours (I personally waited 1.5 hours)
- After waiting long enough, take off shower cap and dry your hair as quickly as possible. A hair dryer would work great, but I do not have a hair dryer, so I just put my head in front of a heated air vent for several minutes.
- Rinse hair in shower with cold water until the water is only lightly tinted. The water coming off my hair actually turned perfectly clear after several rinses, but this is probably because I have so little hair.
- Immediately dry hair afterward. The towel will be stained.

I have only 16mm-length hair, and I used most of the bleach and 2/3 of the hair dye. Granted, I wanted a very thorough bleach and a very thorough, bright pink. If you have more hair or darker hair, you will certainly want to get more than one kit, and likely a stronger, stand-alone hair bleach.

I did all of this naked to prevent getting the bleach or dye on any clothes. I got specks of bleach and dye on my shoulders, which was no problem. I just wiped them off with paper towels.

Hair bleach is corrosive. It will burn any skin that it comes into contact with. For this reason, try to avoid putting it on your scalp, and make sure to put petroleum jelly all around your hair and especially your ears, just as you should when you use the hair dye.

When it rains, your hair will drip pink. I think this is awesome.

Splat hair dye will stain anything in concentrated form. This is why I put plastic wrap all over the bathroom sink and counter. However, Splat hair dye is not powerful enough to stain anything in the shower when you are washing your hair at the end, or anytime in the future. It will always stain your towel, though.

Everybody, including a professional hair stylist and a French jewelry diva, has been telling me they love my hair. Many people tell me that usually pink hair attempts are ugly and faded, but my hair is truly radioactive pink!

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as the fancy brand name dyes, May 10, 2011
I normally color with Color Jam from Sally's but bought the Lusty Lavender Splat on a whim. At first I was very hesitant to use it figuring the pedestrian accessibility of the dye (ie Walgreens) would mean an inferior product but luckily that was not the case at all. My hair is a My Little Pony swirl of purple and white and I was able to get a vibrant dark purple that has lasted several weeks without staining the white portions of my hair during washes. It is slowly fading to a pinkish violet vs the dingy blue I was worried I would be left with. Comparatively I think Splat has stood up better then many of the Color Jam shades I used.

Some things to note when using this product or really any vibrant dye

1. IT STAINS...that's what it's supposed to do. Keep it from getting on things you don't want stained including but not limited to: scalp, face, hands, counter top, towels, floor, clothes...
2. You can protect your skin by applying vasoline. Wear gloves to protect your hands when applying dye.If you are only dying part of your hair cover it in tin foil while you wait.
3. Make sure to comb or massage in the dye so you don't miss portions that have clumped together
4. The longer you leave the dye the more vibrant it will be. The color from a 20 minute application will not last as long as several hours of application. There is no developer in the purple dye so it will not damage your hair to leave it in
5. The dye will continue to leak small amounts after subsequent washing but it can be minimized by rinsing in cold water and blowing dry.
6. Lighten you hair before applying dye if you want vibrant effects even if you are already blond.

And last have reasonable expectations of the product. Many of the negative reviews I have seen for this product are from people who are dying their hair for the first time and made some mistakes that would have been experienced with any colored dye. If you are wondering if Splat will perform in line with the other products out there the answer is an unqualified YES.

5.0 out of 5 stars By far better than the rest!, April 1, 2012
I have dyed my hair just about every color there is. I have tried many, many hair colors plus food coloring and kool-ade, but SPLAT is by far my favorite!

The last color I experimented with was Purple.
My hair was bleached to a light blonde color. And I used a "brass banisher" to remove the bright yellow look.
I tried Raw color: lasted only about a week, and it was more on the blue side than I was looking for.
I tried Manic Panic Amplified: that was awful! It made my hair this muddy, ashy, violet, puke color!
Finally I used SPLAT lusty lavender, thinking at least it would be better than the nasty color the others had turned my hair. But it turned out amazing! I have been using SPLAT ever since!
It is a more red based purple that is gorgeous!

OK, So here are my tips:

. Get 2 boxes! To make sure you have enough and you have some extra in case you missed a spot or need to do a root touch-up later. Also get some vinyl gloves, they work better than the ones provided.

. Bleach your hair the day before and use a good conditioner to repair it overnight.

. Wash your hair with some dish soap. Sounds strange, but you need to remove all the oils from your hair and nothing cuts grease better than dish soap. Use a quarter sized amount of dish soap and a quarter sized amount of your regular shampoo and make sure you get your roots well.

. This stuff stains very well, so cover everything! I like to put an old damp towel on the edge of the counter around the sink so when you are picking up your mirror, comb, and tint brush and setting them down you don't get purple fingerprints on your counter and sink.

. The usual wear gloves and protect your clothing, for your skin use petroleum jelly (or jam if you prefer :P)

. Really saturate your hair with the dye. If you use too little your hair will turn out more pink than purple. Be very careful about getting it on your scalp it will be there for a long time! Cover your hair with a shower-cap or a small plastic bag. If you let the dye dry out, it will be less effective.

. Leave the dye in for 1 to 6 hours, this will ensure that the dye really penetrates the hair follicle and makes it last longer. It does not have the chemical composition of a permanent dye so it is safe to leave in for a long time.

. Rinse with cool water and use a good conditioner. Hot water will fade the color faster. Try not to shampoo your hair for a day or two after dying it.

. My secret weapon against stains? If you got some dye on your skin use some NOXZEMA Anti-blemish pads! They have salicylic acid in them which removes the dye and the texture of the pads are great for scrubbing really soaked in dye! Works every time without fail! Even if the dye is days old!
As for your counter-top, floor, sink, walls and bathtub? Get some 409 and start scrubbing!

. When you do shampoo your hair use a shampoo with a low detergent content such as baby shampoo or at least a phosphate free shampoo. Forget about "color preserving" shampoo it still strips the color out, sometimes even faster!

. As with most dyes it will stain your pillowcases and collar for a few days after you dye it so be careful with wet hair! Wear black and sleep with a towel under your head.

Next up for me is BLUE ENVY!
That's all I got. Have fun! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't listen to the one star reviews, September 15, 2010
I bought the Blue Envy lot, along with a brown hair dye.

I dyed my hair brown, the next day, I started the process, yes the process of dying my hair blue.

I scheduled (Yes, I am that much of a nerd) myself to start dying my hair at 2pm, it is now like 8pm. I bleached the front section (The whole front of my head) and the bleach was more than enough. It was hardly runny, it was not thick, it was the perfect consistency. I let it sit for about 45 minutes (I have really thin hair). I washed it out, conditioned with color protection conditioner.

I then carefully started to dye my hair blue CAREFULLY. With latex gloves I bought. With Vaseline along the hair line. And then patiently waited ~an hour. Washed it out CAREFULLY, with paper towels in the sink.

I was not stained too badly, besides being dumb and running my hand through my hair before it was completely washed out. My sink has one tiny, light dye spot due to being dumb and squeezing too much dye out.

TIPS:
- DON'T BE DUMB. If you don't have common sense, get someone who does.
- BE PATIENT. This is not just squeeze in, let it sit for 20 minutes and rinse it out. It took me like 6 hours (With breaks of course). All in all, it took me about 2 and a half hours for the whole thing. Don't expect this to be a really quick thing.
- ASK QUESTIONS. Find someone who has done something such as this before and ask questions if you are unsure about something.
- BE CAREFUL. Don't just squeeze all over your head and smear it. Grab a clump (or whatever) and meticiously rub the dye into each thing. Don't be afraid to do sections at a time, this is a process.

This kit is not difficult to use. This kit is not bad.

UNFORTUNANTLY, THIS KIT IS NOT STUPID PROOF. BE SMART ABOUT THIS.

I have never, ever dyed my hair alone before and my hair turned out better than I expected.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Color!, June 5, 2011
I absolutely love this dye! I have been dyeing my hair for about a year now, and I just got into unnatural colors. Before using this, I used Manic Panic after midnight blue, and was very disappointed with my results. The color faded really fast, and very unevenly. I decided to go for a pink color, and stumbled across Splat at my walmart. I bought 2 boxes becuase my hair is pretty long, and I usually need 2 or 3 boxes. I used both things of bleach completely, becuase there wasn't much in there, but just enough to cover my hair. The bleach got all the blueish greenish color out and left my hair bright blonde after an hour of sitting. I dyed my hair the next day, and only needed about 3/4 of one package to cover all my hair!! I left it in for an hour. The boxes do NOT have a plastic cap, which was disappointing, but I used a bag. I left the color in for an hour, and after rinsing for 30 minutes, it was almost clear (it will never run fully clear) and I LOVE the color! It has been 2 weeks and my color is still strong, and bright!! I get lots of people saying they love the color!!

total pros:
long lasting, easy to use, lots of dye per package, vibrant, smells great!

total cons:
runs whenever it gets wet, not a lot of bleach

4.0 out of 5 stars Splat Raspberries, July 20, 2010
So I read EVERY review i could find on this product before I decided to buy it. I caved because I couldnt find anything else that would give me the red I wanted in a permanent color, I have to just deal with a semi, and i didnt like manic panic.

First off, naturally I have very dark brown hair, almost black. I had dyed my hair a month ago so I used Color Oops to remove it first before I bleached. There is NOT much bleach, as eveyone else has said. I have just a few inches over shoulder length hair, its very choppy, and i didnt dye the bottom quarter of it. but i still needed a secondary bleach kit. I bought 2 boxes of Splat, so I just snagged the second bleach kit and was set. I left the bleach in about an hour, which gave me a golden blonde through most of my hair, and a bright blonde near my roots.

Splat must have fixed their formula because it was not very runny at all. It's not as thick as most permanent hair dyes ive used, but it wasnt dripping everywhere. Maybe people just need to be careful. BUT, it DOES stain, so if you drip it on something, wipe it off immidiately. If it doesnt come off, some dial soap and a little scrubbing fixes that.

I applied the splat as carefullly as i could, i used vaseline generously around my ears forehead and neck, and managed to get just a little on my visible scalp itself. I then covered it with a shower cap (or a plastic grocery bag works too) and i left it for 7 hours. YES, 7 HOURS. I think i could have left it in for longer to get a better color, but 7 hours was sufficient. When I put the color in, it looks blood red, and thats a little misleading.
It will not stain your tub (or at least it didnt stain mine), but be sure to wash off the walls of your shower & curtain so the color doesnt stick. I also recommend you keep the gloves on while washing it out.) When i washed it out it was BRIGHT PINK, and i was pretty horrified, thinking my hair was also this vibrant hot pink color. It took forever to get it out enough to my satisfaction (the water will never run clear, and 2 months later it is STILL coming out pink.) I towel dried my hair and walked into the bedroom, to my surprise, it wasnt bright vibrant pink, but it was a pretty pinkish red, and I was a little disappointed. In the right light, it looks a great Elmo red. I was kind of upset, but oh well, it was nice i guess.

I waited a couple days, and to my surprise, the color set in and turned a vibrant red i wanted! My roots and upper hair were no longer hot pink, they had darkened to the same elmo color the rest of my hair was, and it looked amazing. It's been 2 months, and my hair color still looked amazing until yesterday, BE WARY OF CHLORINATED POOLS! I swam and then hung out in the sun not thinking about my hair, and when i looked, its not back to being a pinkish color, and parts of it have compeltely faded to an orange-ish color. No harm though, I'll just go and redye it, since i know how wonderful my hair will look.

When you dye your hair, if its pink like mine, be patient! Mine turned red after a couple days of setting in and a wash or two. Other than the pool incident, i love this color and will continue to use it until i find something better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Splat vs. MP, September 24, 2012
Ok. So let me start by saying that until last month I had virgin hair. I went to a professional stylist to get my tips dyed rainbow colors. He used 3 different brands. One had stayed in nicely, the other two washed out in one wash with color safe shampoo and I was left with bleached tips and some random blue strands. So I decided to do it myself. I read all the reviews for both splat and Manic Panic and the tips from people who had used them before purchasing 4 colors of Splat and 2 colors of Manic Panic. I used splat beach however because there were several tips that my stylist had left untouched. I have black hair and the bleach lightened it to a medium blonde in about an hour (I wrapped the tips in tin foil to keep it off my skin) plus it didn't fry my hair! I then colored chunks of hair in random order using all 6 dyes. I wrapped the tips in tin foil again, put a plastic bag over my head and waited 3 hours. After removing the tin foil and washing my hair in cold water (which ran clear after 5 minutes at the most) I towel dryed my hair (the towel wasn't stained) and lo and behold. All the splat colors were vibrant and beautiful and one of the MP colors didn't even turn out. Those chunks are still bleach blonde. I love this stuff.
Now then. A few things to note. Even with 6 color packets on my counter I didn't make a mess. Nothing got stained. Nothing dripped. I just used latex gloves and a whole lotta patience. The stuff is pretty thick so if you're careful you can do this without staining your forehead :)

4.0 out of 5 stars I've been using this dye for years now,, February 16, 2012
Kayla (Fayetteville, NC) - See all my reviews
and it is HANDS DOWN the best red hair dye I have ever used... and believe me, I've used most of the red dyes available. It's staying power is incredible. In fact the only time I even have to redye my hair is when my blonde roots start coming in. Very minimal fading.... in fact I have no fading at all, even when I don't use shampoo & conditioner for colored hair. And when it comes to red hair dye, it's hard as hell to find one that doesn't fade in two weeks. This doesn't fade in two months. Also, the hair dye smells delicious. With other dyes I've had to stand next to an open window just to breathe. Not with Splat. It smells like berries!

HOWEVER, there is one major drawback to this hair dye:
- Take EXTREME care to not get this on your scalp. I'm clumsy with hair dye, so I always end up dying my scalp along with my hair. But with Splat hair dye, the dye PEELS off of your skin over the course of several weeks. I am not kidding. The dye doesn't fade away after a couple washes - IT PEELS OFF. Almost like paint. It's extremely weird and it makes me self conscious for about a week or two after dying my hair because it looks like I have a rash or an infection on my scalp. Now, for me, I can deal with that as long as I don't have to waste my money on hair dye every other week. But for others that probably isn't the case.

I've never used the bleach with the kit, so I can't comment on that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love. It., July 17, 2013
Cristina S. Love (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews
First, a confession. I didn't use the bleach that came in the kit. I went to a salon and had a professional bleach it for about $50. Of course, the bleach job was fantastic and I was a partial platinum blonde when I went home, so maybe that helped but I freakin' love this blue color.

After my initial bleaching - about a third of my hair, all in the front - I went home with some hair foils from my hairdresser and used them on myself with a dye brush. I had Vaseline on my hairline and I was wearing gloves so there wasn't really any spillage, even though it was my first time dyeing my own hair. My scalp did get dyed as I worked my roots but it left after a couple of washes.

I left the dye on for about an hour, give or take, and came out with friggin' brilliant blue hair, very even in tone. Absolutely fabulous. It does fade very slightly every time I wash it but I'm pretty sure every dye does that so whatever. The first couple of washes, it will run so use dark towels and dry your hair before wandering out into the world. Even as it fades, it's still pretty. (The Blue Envy anyway... Aqua Rush is absolutely hideous as it fades. I hated that stuff SO HARD.)

I re-dye it every six or so weeks when I have a couple of hours free and so far, that's been working out well. There's more than enough product in the kit to dye a third of my six inch hair repeatedly before I have to buy another box. The color only seems to become more vivid and lasting with each dye and I've gotten pretty good at dyeing my own hair if I do say so myself.

Anyone who wants showstopping (seriously, just stand in the sun and watch people's heads whip around for a doubletake) blue hair would do well to give Blue Envy a try.

Splat Rebellious Colors Complete Kit Pink Fetish