Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Spook House
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$3.99

on October 18, 2012
When the Wide Game was released, I found it impossible to think that Michael West could write a book I enjoyed more. But he did.

Spook House is an amazing story, with characters that are real, behave believably, and are lovable.

West's imagination truly takes flight in this episode of his Harmony novels. He creates monsters that are unique and then manifests them in a way that is completely plausible-- making this his scariest ride yet. As with all West writing, the exposition is smooth and flawless; the descriptions are detailed enough, and yet never boring.

The illustrations are unbelievably right on, giving a window to precisely what West describes, as if Matthew Perry got inside West's head and pulled the images out.

From the first chapter, the story is high energy, and one immediately feels connected with the main character. The action will keep you turning the pages, as quickly as you can.

I am not sure I will ever be able to enter an abandoned farm house again!

I don't want to give away too much of the story: JUST READ IT! You won't be sorry!!
on December 22, 2013
I bought this book knowing I would be chilled to the bone while reading it. I set it aside until I could read it and when I went to get it I couldn't find it again. It took me months and quite by accident I discovered it under another book in a box I had filled with other novels. I spent the entire summer and fall searching for it and was so disgusted I'd lost it in the first place. I felt as if Santa had dropped down the chimney early when I saw its gleaming cover staring me in the face.
I had read Cinema of Shadows by this author, who is a super favorite of mine and was so frightened out of my shoes I was sure I'd have nightmares. I knew Spook House would not disappoint. It was even better if that is possible and when I was approaching the end of the book I had become so well acquainted with the characters, old and new, that I felt every twinge and terror with them. I wept when innocents were taken and so viciously that I kept the light turned up to light every corner in the room.
I highly advise all readers and lovers of horror to run to your nearest book store or better yet, order it online. If you want it faster, get the kindle edition. Trust me, please, as an avid reader and fan of good horror tales, you will NOT be disappointed.
on November 4, 2012
Ok with pictures like below. I wish I lived where this author did so I could check out his haunted house every year. This is sure to become a staple for halloween! A cult classic! A book I will read EVERY HALLOWEEN! I loved it. It was scary and fun!
"*I received a copy of this book for free to review, this in no way influenced my review, all opinions are 100% honest and my own."
on August 4, 2014
Let’s get this out of the way. I didn’t find anything groundbreaking here. It’s a pretty straightforward Lovecraftian horror, albeit with a bit more focus on people and plot than Howie was known for. It won’t change any hearts or minds and won’t blow apart and expectations. All the same, I don’t think that is what Michael West aimed to do.

What I did find is butter-smooth prose and a razor-keen sense of how to draw out suspense. I found a story that pulled me along the shoot like a greased up pig and plenty of greasy-grimy people guts decorating the scenery. I even found myself caring about the main characters a bit and was quite impressed at how whole and solid he makes this little slice of Indiana feel. I haven’t gotten this strong of a sense of the personality of place in a while. Most importantly, I had fun. That’s all that matters here.

The best analog I can think of is AC/DC. Michael West doesn’t change anything about horror fiction any more than those limeys changed Rock N’ Roll, but only a soulless bastard doesn’t get excited when they here that introductory clang of Hell’s Bells.
on October 8, 2015
I had heard of this author, in many of my circles, but hadn't tried him out yet. Until now! The cover of this book caught my eye, and I couldn't resist. Who doesn't love a haunted house story? I sure do! And I'm glad to tell you that this author doesn't disappoint! I found myself literally racing to the end of this. And now I'm curious to find out about all the other tie ins to other books from this author!! I think I may have just found myself a new favorite!!!
on January 16, 2013
I usually read Stephen King for weirdness but this writer is defiantly on my list now! It is fast moving and has very descriptive details. You feel a connection to the characters. This is my first digital read! I am really loving it but I have gotten to a point where I can't read it at night.
on June 4, 2015
No town called Harmony should have the Fuller spook house, though every town has got to have one of them even if the legend doesn't meet the reality. In this case, Yes. The old Fuller house is a spook house bringing the bravest of souls into its interior. Sheri's boyfriend feels the tug with no return to the safety of the night. Sheri survives the ordeal of a hideous spider-dog. Bring on the hero Robby, the EMT, he with a mysterious past never totally revealed - why!!! Anyway, Something is released and terrorizes the countryside. Bring on the grand tracker. Bring on the religious fanatic, an evil meanie if there ever was one. He goes to the heart of those unfortunate to meet him - damn that seducing Irish accent. Bring on the no-nonsense, action filled FBI agent. Piling trouble on trouble is the project of said Fuller place as a Hallowe'en haunt (will they never learn!). Bring on the horrors and open the portals in a grand slam ending the Winchester boys of Supernatural would approve.
Spook House by Michael West is no great shakes for great literature and never intended to be in that vein. The reader can see the movie being filmed as they read along with each turning page. The efforts of the heroes getting to meet each other and joining in synch after proper banter. Show the villainous scenes of the religious fanatic and his awesome power. The book was meant to be written for enjoyment. That said, one feature of the book drove me to distraction and that was the inevitable use of italics, over used. As a writer and reader, I understand, though too much of a good thing, you know the rest. Those interested in a fun horror read will enjoy this book with its few flaws here and there. Don't take it too serious and have a good time.
on November 4, 2012
At the beginning of the book it is pointed out that in the US there are an estimated 1,000 plus haunted attractions `produced by local fire departments and charity groups, these are open for just a few weekends in October or for a single day on Halloween.'

You see, Halloween is huge in America, and here horror writer West taps into this popular tradition, giving it his own unique blend of terror and humour.

Spook House very neatly interweaves other West stories and plots. Fans of his will enjoy the crossovers and in-references, whilst these in no way detract from can also be enjoyed as a stand-alone novel.

The Fuller House is central to the plot, but don't make the mistake that this is a novel entirely set in one location, with people getting bumped off one by one. West instead presents a story that takes place in many locations over several days. It does not matter if it is night or day, haunted house, or in the middle of a bustling town or city: no one is safe!

I have to mention West's character of Cayden Donnelly, he is a charismatic and enigmatic Irish drifter, who in true West fashion, is a lot more than the initial surface detail. Whenever he appeared I was fascinated and gripped. All I can say is `Beware the charm ladies!'

Mention must also be given to Robby and Sheri, two appealing leads that bounce off each other well. Despite all the horror, supernatural beasts and hellish goings on, West never loses sight of the `human' side of his story: there are plenty of pop culture references and irreverent humour in this slice of small town America in peril tale.

This is my third Michael West novel, and I have noticed one key thing: he is a consistently rewarding author with his own distinctive style and flourishes. The title may seem generic and by the numbers but the content within is anything but. This author can make the seemingly mundane scary and fantastical. I am eagerly anticipating the next effort!
on October 18, 2015
I just finished reading "Spook House" and it was FANTASTIC! Great story, believable characters, perfect amount of detail, engaging writing style, and no distractions from the story with flash or sex that other authors need to keep their readers interested. I've got to get some more Michael West books!
on November 16, 2015
There were some parts that were gory, which at first made me queasy. Then I remembered it's just a book and appreciated the incredible imagery the author was putting into my head! Fun story, fun characters, great read!