5.0 out of 5 stars a jazz fiesta in blue, June 24, 2008
This review is from: Spoon Concerts (Audio CD)
Actually, I own the Italian edition of the CD, which starts with Monterey set (last 5 numbers of this CD) instead of the Reinessance club (LA) set (everything else).

The great, flexible and very suggestive vocal of Jimmy Witherspoon (Spoon) is in the all-stars jazz company in both sets; the mighty tenor of Ben Webster and sensitive but explosive drumming of Mel Lewis connect the sessions (both concerts were held in 1959). On the Reneissance club set The Spoon is joined by a great youngster Gerry Mulligan, who has once again proved how capable he was of working with older musicians, Jimmy Rowles on piano and Leroy Vinegar on bass and it's quite obvious that both the singer and the players now how to merge jazz and blues.

However, it is the Monterey set I really dig; with Coleman Hawkins (ts), Roy Eldridge /tp) Woody Herman (cl) and Earl "Fatha" Hines (p) (in addition to the already mentioned) cook up a storm, with some really hot solos, great accompanyiment and some explosive riffs and climaxes...

The choice of material is brilliant (mostly standards); if you're new to blues or jazz, you should check out this album....

5.0 out of 5 stars Jimmy's Fusion, January 9, 2001
Brandon Sirbu (Cincinnati, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spoon Concerts (Audio CD)
I went on a 6 month trip with only a few tapes to listen to and this was one of them. And man did I listen! I probably played this album 100 times, and never got sick of it. This album is one of, if not the best fusions of blues and jazz that I've heard. If you're at all interested, then buy this one. It moves from slow to fast seamlessly and old Jimmy's even got a song dedicated to his mother in the audience. Its a good 'un.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome and not to be missed, February 20, 2012
This review is from: Spoon Concerts (Audio CD)
I have collected jazz records for nearly 40 years. Witherspoon is where it started for me. I purchased a double record set in the 70's on Fantasy Records called "The Spoon Concerts". This double record set contained the two records on this set. I used to listen mostly to blues. I get to blues from rock (Eric Clapton, Allman Bros. Band etc.). I listened to blues intently until I got to this blues shouter, Jimmy Witherspoon. On this 'Spoon album, I listed to two live concerts that featured some tremendous jazz musicians: Ben Webster, Coleman Hawkins, Gerry Mulligan, Earl Hines, Jimmy Rowles, Roy Eldridge, Leroy Vinnegar, Mel Lewis. I was hooked. I have been crazy about jazz ever since. Sure, I listen to classical music (lots), opera, and Indian music. As much as I love blues, jazz has always been my first love.

Despite my sentimental attachment to this record which is obvious, I have to say that 'Spoon was my favorite blues shouter. Other blues shouters like Joe Williams and Jimmy Rushing are also wonderful, but 'Spoon is my favorite.

The sound quality of the recording other than the occasional hum in one of the recordings is fun and it draws you right in. The jazz performers on this record are all first rate. Snap this record right up. I don't think you could ever go wrong. If you never buy another 'Spoon record, you can rely on the fact that you got his best. 'Spoon seems invested with the feeling of the moment and he does not have to limit the length of the songs to fit on a 45rpm record. He can really stretch out and tell his stories the best way he can. Hell, I sometimes even try to sing them myself.

You will never regret getting this record

5.0 out of 5 stars Soul food, December 15, 2008
This review is from: Spoon Concerts (Audio CD)
I have a rare out of print vinyl, from the label"International Joker Production/ The King Jazz Story", from 1972, but my portuguese pressing is from 1979. The themes in it are those recorded at The Renaisance Club, L.A. Calif. Dec.2 & 9 1959, i.e, from "Times Getting Tougher Than Tough" to "St. Louis Blues".
This CD version has the recordings of other session, fact that doubles the pleasure of this jams like they usually happened in those times, where racism in América was a painfull reality, and, simultaneously, they were occurring diferent revolutions in the jazz scene, from the Pacific Coast, passing through Chicago to the East Coast.
But after all, a half century past this blues remain the quintessencial of Jazz: rythm, happiness, dance and, why not saying ... crying out our universal BLUES.
A timeless record.

5.0 out of 5 stars The man with the voice, May 18, 2007
Sea Otter (Millbrae, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spoon Concerts (Audio CD)
The CD now comes in a different cover than the one depicted here but the music inside is the same. Jimmy Witherspoon is a great singer. The music is from two different concerts and they are both well recorded. The all star back up bands are perfectly suited for his jazzy blues vocals. You can tell he was having a great time. The liner notes even mentions that this was the first time his mother attended one of his concerts. I really enjoy this CD.

Spoon Concerts
Spoon Concerts by Jimmy Witherspoon (Audio CD - 1989)
Rate and Discover Movies