4.0 out of 5 stars Great game, but issues when activating on Origin.
Published 18 months ago by M. Minier

1.0 out of 5 stars Servers are down - This is a dead product
EA Support will pass responsibility onto Amazon, Amazon will not refund.

This can only be played offline and impedes a large portion of the game's original capabilities.

The game has to be activated through EA's Origin by a Support Agent however there is a second activation to gain
internet access to the, apparently, removed servers thus an...
Published 18 months ago by Anonymous

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game, but issues when activating on Origin., December 27, 2012
This review is from: Spore Ultimate Digital Collection [Download] (Software Download)
Spore is one of those games that you can just get lost in for weeks at a time. You start out as a single cell organism, and evolve all the way through to a space faring galactic civilization. It has that same Maxis charm that makes The Sims so great. For the price, it is an absolute steal. The Galactic Adventures expansion adds much more depth to the game's already mind blowing Space Stage. Overall one of the more addicting titles out there, despite being a few years old.

I do have to note that if you use Origin, you may encounter an issue with your product keys. Both myself and a friend purchased this bundle, and we both encountered the same issue. The key Amazon gives you for the original Spore game simply would not register on Origin. The Galactic Adventures and Creepy/Cute Pack keys worked fine though. Should you encounter this issue, simply go to Origin help and choose Live Chat. You may have to wait a few minutes. They will ask you for your email address and the game key, and they will add the game to your collection that way. Not a major issue but it should be noted.

4.0 out of 5 stars Spore is an OK game and works on Windows 7, September 4, 2012
I purchased this game for Spore plus the creatures expansion. When I read the previous reviewer couldn't install the other expansion on Windows 7 I was curious. Tried it. Installed fine. There is now a new different icon to launch the space expansion.

I'm a casual gamer. Armorgames is about all I play. Because this game is priced at about 12 dollars I bought it, despite the low reviews about the DRM. There doesn't appear to be DRM on this game though. I was hoping to make cool/realistic creatures with Spore and with the expansion. Too bad I can't.

Other reviewers are correct. The creature abilities don't cross over from phase to the next. The only thing that ties them all together are choices you make apparently give you abilities later on.

For a casual gamer this game is okay. For a serious gamer there is not enough real meat on these bones.

1.0 out of 5 stars Servers are down - This is a dead product, January 3, 2013
EA Support will pass responsibility onto Amazon, Amazon will not refund.

internet access to the, apparently, removed servers thus an error message is returned stating that the user does not
have the proper Spore privileges with key provided to activate the game online or even retrieve the proper patch needed
for the Origin version.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly good, December 14, 2012
A fun game with a great concept, that could have been executed a little better. I recently bought the collection and downloaded it on my 2009 Vista laptop. Amazon puts the games (and the key codes, which you need during installation) in your online library, and you download them from there, which took me about a day, but my internet was being flaky part of the time. After installing the game itself, it required updates before it would install the expansions.

Between my personal experiences and what I've read on forums, the game can be somewhat buggy. There are several updates, which fix some issues, but occasionally introduce new ones too, and after five or six updates they stopped releasing new ones, so I am left with my game crashing from time to time. Googling led to some tips that reduced the frequency, but it still does it sometimes, and it's frustrating.

I like the game play itself, particularly the creature and space stages (they're the most developed; some of the others can get repetitive). It's got the silly Maxis charm I've seen in other Sim-type games, like random llama references and bizarre dialogue from some alien races. The Cute/Creepy expansion adds parts to the creature stage, further developing what you can do there, though I wish there were more mammal-appropriate things. The Galactic expansion adds adventures to the space stage, so instead of "find this animal" or "destroy 5 of this creature," sometimes you are beamed down to a planet to run around in creature mode again, now as your hero/captain, earning XP for new items or abilities. It's made this stage a lot more varied, and I like it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brings back memories, March 30, 2013
I had this game years ago when it first came out and my computer couldn't handle it so I didn't play it.

I now have a gaming rig that can more than handle this and I have to say; I missed this game and it is everything I expected it to be and more! They don't make games like this one any more, its all about "realistic" shooters now. ='(

1.0 out of 5 stars EA long ago stopped supporting this game, April 22, 2013
J. Piper (Ashby, MA United States) - See all my reviews
My 8 year old played this at a friend's house and 'had to have it'. We chose the digital download because it was the only way to get it right away. Mostly a waste because there is no more help from EA or Maxis or anyone. It won't even let us register. The only reason I give it one star is because my son is at least able to play with the game as is but as others have stated, it is like playing football with your hands behind your back. Very limited. I downloaded Creepy and Cute Parts Expansion Pack and it seemed to have installed but...how do you access it? BTW - SPORE itself doesn't leave a launch button anywhere (shortcut) nor can you find it visible in your app folder! I had to search the PC for 'Spore', locate the correct link and make a shortcut.
I don't think Amazon should be selling this game any longer - with no one to call and the support 'site' for Spore is useless, it leaves you alone to figure it all out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of creative sand, October 26, 2013
As far as games that let you do what you want to do, nothing beats Spore. You can make it about creativity, or taking over the universe, or becoming a millionaire. Whatever you want to do with the galaxy. That's pretty cool to me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Son loves it, February 20, 2013
Never actually got the original Spore to work on my son's laptop, but I got the newer one to work fine so he was happy. It the end he just wanted to play a Spore game...any Spore game and it was fairly inexpensive for the bundle. My younger son has been asking to play lately and the cost includes a 3 user license, so I will install it there as well.
Does not seem to like Windows 7, even after the updates.

1.0 out of 5 stars crap, October 14, 2013
the game will not validate over the internet the key is invalid. i will be demanding my money back or a working key. creepy and cute will activate, galactic adventures will activate however spore will not.

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, July 3, 2014