5.0 out of 5 stars Gourmet for the People and Planet!
Published on October 5, 2011 by Boopie

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing
Published on July 20, 2012 by Steph

5.0 out of 5 stars Gourmet for the People and Planet!, October 5, 2011
This review is from: Spork-Fed: Super Fun and Flavorful Vegan Recipes from the Sisters of Spork Foods (Paperback)
Amazon needs to add a few more stars so people can rate this book, and these incredible authors/chefs, appropriately. The pictures are gorgeous, the recipes are easy to follow, and the style and layout make this book a perfect gift for anyone who has ever eaten a meal and plans to eat one again, vegan or non. This libro was actually given to me as a gift by a non-vegan friend who thought that I, as a recent vegan convert, might enjoy. Great call -- Spork-Fed makes my transition to veganhood so much more fun and delicious. If not for the Spork Sisters, I might be tempted to swing through a drive-through or nibble a few chicken fingers every so often -- but the recipes in this book blow anything from a greasy fast-food restaurant out of the water. The grub is satisfying, succulent, and doesn't weigh you down or make you groan like a bloated toad, even after consuming mass quantities like a coneheaded madman. There's a lot in this book, and I'm anxiously awaiting the sequel.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, July 20, 2012
Steph (Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
I wanted to like this book so very much but I just can't give it a good review and I am very surprised at the great reviews. Teh good first: It looks great. Beautiful pictures. It's appealing and very fun. The recipe ideas are also great, the problem is just that they either don't turn out all that well (for example, the deserts as someone mentioned in a review by someone else,the Parfait which ended up being a runny mess and refrigerating it for hours didn't help much> I want to add that I use whipped coconut milk quite a bit). Another problem I found is that the food is underwhelming, for example the wings. They are a lot of work and while the sauce is really very good, the seitan the way they make it is bland and so are the wings, despite the good sauce. There are other wings recipes that are much faster and much better. The same result I got with the grilled aspargus. The sauce is quite pricy as it asks for a lot of pine nuts and the result is nothing more than so, so. Lastly, I'm also not a fan of things like egg replacer which are used throughout. So sorry about the bad review but this book really is disappointing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too Much Fat and Salt, January 18, 2012
I ordered this book after watching some videos on the Spork Sisters Website. I do like their approach to cooking, but many of these recipes are high in fat and salt. It is also inconvenient that the book does not have nutrition information for the recipes. Today I made the tempeh fish which called for 3 cups of oil for frying. I used one and it was plenty! Also I had so much batter left, which went to waste. I am not sure the measurements were accurate. I made the chili potatoes and the sauce was so scant I could have easily doubled the recipe for the sauce, and I only used 2 cups of potatoes! So some of the recipes could have used more fine tuning before publishing.

I am a vegan, but I struggle with my weight. Just because vegans do not eat dairy or meat does not mean that they should consume large amounts of fat in the forms of oil or buttery substitutes. When I read through these recipes I can immediately see easy ways to cut the calories and fat in most of them without cutting flavor. I am just not sure why the sisters were not more conscious of the high fat and salt in the recipes. Also, the book is too small in size. It was hard to keep open on the counter and I kept having to pick it up and look at the ingredients and directions as the print is small. In conclusion, it is a creative, vibrant vegan cookbook, just be prepared to modify recipes to lower fat, cholesterol, and sodium if you are health conscious. I much prefer Kris Carr's recipes or Trader Joe's Skinny Dish Cookbook to this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars delicious and easy vegan cooking for food lovers!, November 14, 2011
DevoW (Memphis, TN) - See all my reviews
After taking a bayou cooking class with Heather and Jenny, I decided I was interested in learning more about vegan cooking. What I've found after trying a few of the recipes from the book is that like their classes, the recipes are easy, fun and turn out just as I would hope. Many of the ingredients were new to me but I would not be intimidated! I'll be looking to try substituting them in some of my mainstay recipes, too. The prep is not overwhelming either which means I wasn't slaving away making these recipes but more enjoying the entire process.

A great feature of the book is how they lay out menus in the beginning. Something so simple but brilliant to me. I've never seen it in any other cookbook and hope others take a page and copy it.

My favorite recipes so far: creamy pistachio pesto over brown rice, chive & cheddar skillet omelet and crispy brown rice cakes. My next adventure will be the mac & cheese which I hear is the best ever!

This is a must-have for foodies everywhere. If my meat & potatoes-loving dad can love this food, it will win over anyone. The only thing better would be the sisters in my kitchen with me, sipping a glass of wine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wanted to give it 5 but..., November 5, 2011
I can't get the desserts to turn out well. I've made lots of baked goods by other vegan chefs, but haven't used Ener-G egg replacer before - which is in many of their baked goods recipes, and I think this may be the downfall of Spork Fed's desserts. I've made the vanilla birthday cake, the Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies, and the Pumpkin Cheesecake with a Gingersnap Crust from this book.

The birthday cake had a very weird texture to it, not cake-like at all, although the taste was good. I tried on 2 separate occasions to make the cookies, and both times they failed miserably. When baking them in the oven, they spread apart into a gooey mess. Same result both times, and I've used my oven to make countless other baked goods without fail, so I know it's not the oven.

That being said, the Pumpkin Cheesecake turned out awesome, and tasted awesome. Even won over a tried and true meat eater. I also have made the Fettuccine Alfredo, which is super delish. The Caesar dressing is phenomenal - tastes like the most authentic Caesar dressing ever (better than my Mom's, who follows the Joy of Cooking's recipe for Caesar). Also made the Strawberry Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast, which tasted really great but was a bit messy.

I love the layout of the book, pics for almost every recipe, and the little blips of information are very entertaining.

3.0 out of 5 stars Is it just me?, April 10, 2012
D. Farrow (Shell Beach, CA) - See all my reviews
I accept that when recipes fail, 9 times out of 10 it's due to the cook rather than the recipe author.
This may very well be the case here. (Although for at least one of the recipes, I have heard from others who had the same sad outcome)
I made 3 items, Cornmeal and Herb-Crusted Tofu Feta Croquettes, Potato Gnocchi with Basil in a Rosted Shallot Cream Sauce, and Quinoa Salad with Fennel and White Beans in a Light Lemon Vinaigrette. Of the 3, only the Quinoa salad was good. The Croquettes were barely eatable and the Gnocchi a total flop. (The Gnocchi is the one that other bloggers and cooks agreed was a failure)
On the plus side, the pictures are lovely, the book itself written in a cute and heartfelt style.
All the same, it's not likely I'll be spending any more time and resources on this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars cute, but not terribly practical, May 8, 2012
this cook book is adorable and contains all kinds of fun nuggets of knowledge as well as tons of delicious-looking recipes. the downside is that most of the recipes have numerous steps and include uncommon and/or expensive ingredients, including vegan cheese and soy cream cheese (which i'm convinced is spackle from a hardware store in a cuter package). i made their lasagna and, while it was very tasty, it took me an hour and left my kitchen looking like a tornado came though, having used every pot, pan, bowl, utensil, etc that i own. as cute as this book is, it's just not very practical.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for anyone's kitchen - not just vegans!, November 5, 2011
Being a slightly new vegan (2 years, and counting), I have been on the lookout for cookbooks that could help demystify the vegan cooking experience. I have also been searching for ways to cook for my non-vegan friends so that they get a chance to see how wonderful vegan food can be. Imagine my delight when I discovered that my favorite vegan cooks (Jenny and Heather) were putting together a cookbook! I had been to several of their cooking classes and had fallen in love with their style, humor and abundant expertise. Naturally, I expected their cookbook to be top-notch. They exceeded my expectations.

When I received the book, I sat down to scan through it... and later discovered that I was reading through it like I would a novel - it's that compelling! What's so amazing about this collection is not just that the recipes are ridiculously delicious and easy to follow. What's most amazing about this book is the way in which they have laid out their approach to sharing their knowledge with those of us that aren't nearly as accomplished in the kitchen. There are so many wonderful touches included, but here are my particular favorites:

1. The abundant color pictures - there are so many enticing shots taken of the finished product that you actually get a real sense of the goal when starting with a new recipe. And, the pictures are realistic - not the result of tricks with lighting and angles. I really feel like I can replicate what I see in the pictures.
2. Suggested menus - these girls know what compliments what, and they have included suggested complete meals comprised of the recipes in the book.
3. Talkin' Sporkie - a glossary of terms that you will find throughout the book that reflect the humor and personality of the authors. This is just one way they make the experience so much fun.
4. The Sporkie Scoop - each recipe includes "for your smarts" (fun facts about the recipe or one of the ingredients in it) and a "for your parts" (interesting information about the nutritional value of a key ingredient).

And, of course, the recipes are tremendous and totally do-able. My favorites are the apple pie milkshake (had it first in one of their classes, and have made it at home many times!), crunchy peanut butter bonbons (O.M.G!), creamy baked macaroni and cheese (who knew vegan mac & "cheese" could be so incredible?!), creamy tomato soup (ultimate comfort food) and the jerk coleslaw (healthy, colorful and tons of flavor).

This has become my favorite go-to guide in the kitchen. Anyone interested in exploring vegan cooking will want this book in their collection, too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pineapples are a symbol of hospitality., May 10, 2012
I hate to say it but the first thing I look for in a cookbook is pictures of dishes I want to eat. This book has a pic to accompany every recipe and it makes me want to make everything in it. Even though I'm vegetarian, I still approach vegan food like it's missing something but I don't get that sense with Spork--there's a certain level of creativity in the recipes that actually makes me feel my other vegetarian cookbooks are lacking. Anyway, I found most of the recipes to be very accessible for amateurs like myself but I obviously haven't tried them all. Overall, a great book that's well-written and full of great food factoids. The ginger/maple/mustard tempeh is quick and fantastic, as are the scallion pancakes. Next up: butternut sage lasagna!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, November 25, 2011
Spork Fed is chock full of delicious, gourmet vegan recipes, but you don't have to be vegan or a wiz in the kitchen to cook from this book. The recipes are easy to follow and use common ingredients found at just about any grocery store. If you want to learn how to make your own tofu and seitan, this is the book to use. If you'd rather use store bough versions, that's fine too. The book has a nice clean layout so that the instructions are easy to read, and it's full of mouthwatering photographs. There are trivia tidbits and nutritional information scattered throughout as well as suggested menus. Jenny and Heather have their own "Sporkie terminology" which makes you feel like you're in the kitchen cooking with friends.

You'll feel like a total gourmet chef serving up the delicious dishes from this book, and you'll impress both the vegan and the omnivores in you life alike! My favorites so far are the Mushroom Bourguignon and Seitan Scallopini, but I still have lots of cooking I want to do, so I'm sure I'll have new favorites soon!

$19.95 $13.56