5.0 out of 5 stars Gourmet for the People and Planet!
Amazon needs to add a few more stars so people can rate this book, and these incredible authors/chefs, appropriately. The pictures are gorgeous, the recipes are easy to follow, and the style and layout make this book a perfect gift for anyone who has ever eaten a meal and plans to eat one again, vegan or non. This libro was actually given to me as a gift by a non-vegan...
Published on October 5, 2011 by Boopie

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing
I wanted to like this book so very much but I just can't give it a good review and I am very surprised at the great reviews. Teh good first: It looks great. Beautiful pictures. It's appealing and very fun. The recipe ideas are also great, the problem is just that they either don't turn out all that well (for example, the deserts as someone mentioned in a review by someone...
Published on July 20, 2012 by Steph

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these two and this book!, October 25, 2011
This review is from: Spork-Fed: Super Fun and Flavorful Vegan Recipes from the Sisters of Spork Foods (Paperback)
I have been an online subscriber to the Spork Sisters cooking classes for about a year now and have always really enjoyed their recipes and their energy. These two have created a book that showcases both of those things. You can feel their smiles through each page and taste their delicious creations. I immediately made the Gnocci with Roasted Shallot Cream Sauce and it was spectacular. It pleased my pickiest eater and my husband had thirds. This book is perfect for anyone looking for meatless meals any day and for any seasoned vegan. I really love the menu ideas as well where the Spork Sisters have put together the recipes as menus to impress your family and friends. Another great cookbook in my collection, can't wait for them to write their second!

5.0 out of 5 stars Deliciousness, October 9, 2011
The Spork sisters are geniuses. Their classes are fantastic and their new book takes it to a whole new level. Everything I've eaten of theirs is amazing, even when I'm cooking it myself. Whether your vegan or not, this is the easiest cookbook with the best recipes I've ever seen. That's saying a lot for someone who has been using vegan and vegetarian cookbooks for 26 years! I can't wait for the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Fun and Really Delicious, October 5, 2011
I absolutely love to cook, and I am always tearing through recipes. What I love most about Spork-Fed is that I don't feel like I'm "working" when I'm making the food. I get to explore new flavors and create meals I never thought I could make, and it's a ton of fun. I think the mark of a great cookbook is one that is fool-proof, and with this book, I have not failed with a single recipe yet!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Young Families!, February 20, 2012
As a mom of two preschoolers, I find it quite challenging to cook well-balanced vegetarian meals that my husband and I will enjoy and that the kids will actually eat. I have bought so many vegetarian cookbooks that just sit on the shelves collecting dust because, though their recipes work for adults, my kids won't go near them!

I read about Spork-Fed in the L.A. Times and, after reading a bunch of amazing reviews on Amazon, I decided to order a copy. As soon as I leafed through the suggested menus at the start of this book, I knew I had found what I'd been looking for-- homey, delicious dishes that have been turned into vegan classics.

Here are some of my family's favorite recipes:

Seitan Pot Pie with Herb Biscuit Topping
Creamy Baked Macaroni and Cheese
Potato Gnocchi in Roasted Shallot Cream Sauce
Twice-Baked Potatoes with a Broccoli and Cheese Filling
Ginger, Maple, and Mustard-Glazed Tempeh
Cashew Cream Fettucine Alfredo with Sauteed Spinach and Cheese Crisps
Cornmeal and Herb-Crusted Tofu Feta Croquettes
And don't get me started on the desserts, like the Apple Pie Milkshake and the Peanut Butter Bonbons. They are truly scrumptious!

I find the suggested menus really helpful when I'm trying to quickly pull together a vegetarian dinner, which takes way more planning than a traditional meat, vegetable, and starch. And, I enjoy reading the 'Sporkie Scoop', which includes info on the history of the dishes and the health benefits of some of the ingredients.

Spork-fed is the perfect family-friendly veggie cookbook! We can't wait for the Spork girls to write another.

5.0 out of 5 stars VEGAN MAC AND CHEESE AT LAST!, January 23, 2012
This book has a delicious vegan mac and cheese recipe. Yes, it exists. And I made it with pantry ingredients, without a food processor, and in an hour. I would buy this book for this recipe alone. That aside, the other recipes are pretty amazing! The recipes are surprisingly simple, but yield amazing results. This is the best vegan cook book I own. My only complaint is its too short - I want more!

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome book!, October 9, 2011
Spork-Fed is a great cookbook! I'm an omnivore, but Jenni and Heather's recipes are fantastic whether you're a vegan or some just someone (like me) who likes to cook with good, wholesome foods and try cool, fun new recipes. In terms of the book itself, the info is presented in a clear, easy to use style alongside great pictures of all the dishes. In short, this book should be in your kitchen!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically fun, Incredibly inspiring, Vivaciously vegan, Genuinely genius!, October 4, 2011
Goodbye same-old cookbooks! Hello new era when health, deliciousness and powerful knowledge coexist AND are super hip!

We all know what happens when you crack open one of your mother's cookbooks -- you yawn. That's why there's been a major move to make cookbooks inviting and exciting in recent years -- usually with bright and colorful photos, unusual ingredients, and "fusion"-type flavor combinations. But let's be honest. There's no book out there that balances the most important elements of nourishment through food: health, flavor, pleasure, and yes, informed, ethical choices. Sure, there are lots of books out there that have delicious recipes. But there's nothing out there that serves as a primer on how to tackle the overwhelming decisions that a complicated, globalized food system presents to us daily -- and there's nothing out there that pairs all of that with a fun and inspiring guide to making the right choices through delicious, satisfying food. Well, there wasn't until now!

The Spork Foods sisters have accomplished just that, and have published a book that is so beautifully designed and photographed that you'd be tempted to just go on looks. But keep looking and you'll find that this book doesn't just have beauty -- it has brains and brawn too! On every page there is tons of well-researched information about the nutritional and historic background of ingredients (case in point: we all know that tomatoes are technically a fruit, but did you know that they were declared a vegetable by the US Supreme Court because there were no tariffs on fruit and tax revenue from tomatoes was being lost?) Every recipe also contains information about the ingredients, so you can start following Hippocrates' advice and "let food be thy medicine"!

No cookbook review would be complete without mentioning some mouth-watering recipes. I can honestly say that even though I'm not vegan, I've committed to making every single recipe printed on these 190 pages. I've got a long way to go but have started with some amazing ones, including: Corn cakes with smoky paprika sauce; Pear, fig and sage tarts with a roasted garlic aioli; Broccolini in a pecan brown "butter" brandy sauce; Seitan wellington with a creamy spinach sauce; Tempeh sausages with a mushroom gravy (my favorite!); and the not-to-be-missed Chocolate peanut butter mousse with crunchy topping. All delicious...and all good for you, other creatures and the planet. Now you'll have to excuse me; I've got some vegan cooking to do!

4.0 out of 5 stars Spork-Fed Will Keep You Well-Fed, March 6, 2014
I bought this cook book on a whim without knowing much about it and I’m really glad that I did, because I quickly fell in love with it. The authors write in a very easy, down to earth, conversational tone that gets you excited about cooking. They’re inspirational, and vibrant, and they obviously care a lot about the food that they make, and veganism as a whole. I really appreciate all the time and effort that went into making this little book, it is nothing if not beautiful. The full color photography - a photo for every recipe - is wonderful, my favorite kinds of cook books are ones that include numerous photos. The instructions are clear, and easy to follow however as some reviewers have pointed out the print is rather small, and some of the ingredient lists are long. Still a long list of ingredients doesn’t always daunt me, and really when it comes right down to it these recipes are a lot easier and quicker to whip up then they may appear upon first glance.

I think the recipe selection has a good mix of healthy vs comfort food dishes, eclectic flavors, unique pairings, and some really creative ideas that get me excited about cooking. I always appreciate authors who do something different, I’m sick of always seeing the standard vegan recipes. My opinion is if you’re going to make a standard vegan recipe - like a lasagna, or a tempeh loaf - then you better do something different, and jazz it up. Do something to set it apart from the 100's of other recipes just like it, and the Spork-Sisters do just that.

A few things that maybe be deal breakers for you however, there is no nutritional information given for the recipes, and some processed foods are used - such as vegan cheese and butter. If you have the time and are so inclined you can easily swap out processed vegan products with healthier or homemade alternatives -which is what I do. - or you can use this book as an ‘occasional treat’ book - also like I do. As much as I love this book, it is not one I use everyday, but I do tote it out when I cook for others, or for special occasions and I’ve never been disappointed. My biggest complaint is that there weren’t more recipes, 75 is a bit on the low end for a cook book in my opinion, 100 would have been better, but maybe - with any luck - they’ll write another book.

The Recipes I’ve tried so far are as follows,

Lentil Pecan Pate - Good, but not my favorite pate.
Amazing Caesar Salad with Homemade Croutons - Loved it
Green Salad with Creamy Tempeh Bacon Ranch Dressing - LOVED IT - really amazing
Jerk Coleslaw with Plantain Strips - Loved it
Patatas Bravas - Loved it
Green Bean Casserole with Spelt Bread Crumbs and Frizzled Shallots - Pretty good - never been a fan of this holiday favorite before, but this sure beats the casserole from a can.
Crispy Brown Rice Cakes with Adzuki Beans and Scallions - Loved it
Quinoa Salad with Fennel and White Beans in Light Lemon Vinaigrette - Loved it
Mashed Potatoes with Caramelized Onions and Crispy Sage - Pretty good
Southwest Black Bean and Corn Mini Burgers with Smokey Paprika Cashew Cheese - LOVED IT! - seriously this is so good it’s worth the price of the book alone!
DIY Homemade Chicken Style Seitan - Pretty Good
Seitan Wellington With a Creamy Spinach Sauce - Loved it
Roasted Butternut Squash and Sage Lasagna with a Creamy Bechamel Sauce - Pretty good
Creamy Pistachio Pesto over Brown Rice - Loved it
South Carolina BBQ Tofu Sandwiches - Loved it
Seitan Scallopini with Sauteed Mushrooms in a Red Wine Sauce - Loved it
Creamy Baked Macaroni and Cheese with a Spelt Breadcrumb Topping - Pretty good
Cinnamon Scented Tiramisu - Loved it
Strawberry Cream Cheese French Toast - Loved it
Chive and Cheddar Skillet Omelet - Loved it
Smokey Tempeh Bacon, Broccoli and Cheddar Quiche - Loved it

Though I’ve had tremendous good fortune with this cook book, and though I love it, I’m not sure it’s one I’d recommend to everyone. It may not be the best book for a newbie vegan, or rather a newbie vegan that’s also new to cooking. I think this book is best suited for a person who loves to cook, is knowledgeable about cooking, and is looking to expand and try some new and different things. If that’s you, and you don’t have any food restrictions, then this is a good fit for you, and I’m sure you’ll love it as much as I do.

5.0 out of 5 stars spork it, February 13, 2013
Great for special meals and feeding carnivores that say vegan not good food. Sisters are really cute! Try it you'll love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite cookbook, hands down, May 23, 2012
I collect cookbooks! I have sooo many--but Spork Fed is by far my favorite. Every recipe I have made, which is most, is wonderful. Full of flavor, easy and family-friendly. The Patas Bravas, Caesar Salad and peanut butter balls are all a weekly occurrence. There are gorgeous pictures and funny anecdotes about the recipes. A MUST BUY!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›