4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the beach or when you need shade / wind break
Published on March 28, 2011 by goldenrool

2.0 out of 5 stars Good Idea but.......
I bought this umbrella for the kids' sports. It looked nice and had an easy set up. But right out the bag, the stay at the end of on of the spokes was broken and couldn't be fixed because it's plastic. During the season almost all the rest broke as well. So while it's looks nice and works pretty well, this has to be fixed or it's not very useful.
Published on January 17, 2010 by Ryan C. Lee

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the beach or when you need shade / wind break, March 28, 2011
goldenrool (Lake Mary, FL USA) - See all my reviews
I have had the Sport-Brella for almost a year now. I purchased it for taking to the beach and highly recommend it as a very effective shade and wind break within limitations. It is a fairly well thought out product. However, the photographs are little misleading when they show a soccer team under it. That is either for a larger size (it can be found in a 9 foot diameter but costs almost twice as much as the 8 footer) or a lot of small people squeezed together. My experience is that this is just about ideal for two adults. Can you cram more...well yes, but don't think you would enjoy the experience. Think about a half dozen or more perspiring people packed closely together and I think you get the idea. I don't know how effective it would be for rain cover since never used it for that purpose but suppose it would be better than nothing.

Pros:
- Highly portable. Comes with a nylon carry bag with shoulder strap.
- Quick to set up and break down. The pole is two piece (self contained) with the lower section reinforced at the top for hammering. Set the lower pole, attach the umbrella. Voila, instant cover. Take down is just as simple. Release/lower the umbrella, secure with velcro strap, slide the lower pole section into the upper pole, insert into the carry case and you are ready to go. If you do not need to stake the umbrella, two minutes or less. It's that simple.
- If you want to extend the cover, there are two side panels / wings (normally attached via a clip to the umbrella) which can be extended outward from umbrella.
- There are multiple straps with grommets that can be used to secure the Sport Brella if it is windy. Metal stakes are included in a small nylon bag.
- There two panels built into the umbrella that can be lowered (double zippered) to help control airflow. There are ties stiched into umbrella to secure the panels to minimize flapping if the panels are lowered.
- There is a velcro strap that secures the umbrella to ease stowing in the carrying bag.

Cons:
- When not using the two panels that function as extended cover, the only way to secure is via the clip on the top of the umbrella that hooks into a grommet on the end of each panel. This creates a problem if you are using it strictly as an upright umbrella for shade (say at midday) and it is breezy but not enough to require staking. The panels create more surface area for the wind to get under. Yes, they include some braided nylon guy lines that you can use to stake but why bother if not needed. A better solution would be additional ties attached to the umbrella like the ones to secure the zippered panels.
- Durability is questionable. An umbrella has a lot of moving parts, stretching/flexing and prone to break. Compound that with wind on a beach and salt air. It is a matter of trade-offs. High portability equals low weight construction. High durability equals heavier construction. Mine is still hanging together but would be surprised if it will last more than two seasons of moderate use. Still, for the convenience and usability provided, I have no complaints and would not think twice about replacing unless something better came along.
- Small complaint - the shoulder strap on the carry case is a thin narrow nylon material. It is uncomfortable and awkward to carry on the shoulder (at least for me). It is too long if you want to carry by hand. I have tied it into a knot to shorten.

To wrap this up, if you want a highly portable and effective sun shade / wind break for the beach for two adults, the Sport Brella is worth your consideration. It is quick to set up / break down. I like mine enough to say that I will buy another when this one wears out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great beach umbrella, December 28, 2009
We go to a beach where it can become quite windy, and this umbrella is perfect. Once the sides are staked down, it's a great wind block as well as sun shade. The only thing I would correct is that the pointed part of the pole (the pole is in two pieces) is stored inside the shaft and it's hard to see since it's all black. We were convinced that it was missing until we saw the small sticker on the shaft saying that the bottom part of the pole was tucked up inside. The same thing happened to friends of ours that bought the same umbrella. They might want to make a bigger sticker! Other than that, we love it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not all the parts of a tent, not the limitations of an umbrella...., August 24, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The SportBrella offers features not found in other products.

- If you have another beach umbrella, you've probably enjoyed the shade while holding the pole to keep those gusty winds from picking the umbrella up and impaling those sunbathers downwind! You need to either hold it down, or tie weights to the pole to keep it in one place. The SportBrella has a variety of vents and screened windows that allows the air to flow through it instead of sending it skyward. If needed, you can also fill the storage bag with sand to make a weight to help keep one of the "flaps" to the ground, especially when those stakes don't work in the sand.

- In Honolulu, to keep those without homes from camping in the parks, the city has banned the use of tents (defined as a "collapsible structure consisting of sheets of canvas, fabric, or other material" with more than one wall). In other words, an umbrella is legal, but the SportBrella with one or two panels staked down is not. However, you can use it, and if a park attendant brings it to your attention that you can't have those two panels staked down, making a "three-walled tent," then just take the stakes out!

- I've worked at a park, and before I got mine, I chatted with SportBrella users about the device. They tended to be keen on it, but these were days with a hot sun, and where shade was at a premium. I don't know what it's like to pack it up when wet and sandy. Ick. Of course, you can just spray it off when you get home (probably a really good idea to get any salt spray off the metal. Make sure it is bone dry before you pack it up.

- It is nice and BIG! About 8 foot in diameter. Turn the thing upside down to allow the top to open (it's next to impossible to push up and open like an umbrella). And watch out for that pointed extension... you don't want it going through your foot when you loosen the nut!

- You won't be using this at outdoor concerts on a flat lawn. It's so big that the folk behind you will stare holes in your hidden heads. However, it's also big enough in the right venue that you can put a couple lawn chairs underneath it.

- Treat it well. I wouldn't toss a heavy cooler on top of it. Those "spreaders" associated with all umbrellas won't take a great deal of abuse.

- To make it fit into the carry bag, lay it on the ground and roll it up. Then the Velcro fastener will be lined up.

Have fun with your new SportBrella!

5.0 out of 5 stars You can buy it for less at Costco, June 20, 2010
IslandgirlPR (West Linn, Oregon USA) - See all my reviews
These are wonderful umbrellas, we use it for the beach, Little League games, etc.
I did just buy the same one, however, at Costco for $39.99 a few days ago!

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect for the beach!, June 4, 2011
I was looking for a beach shelter that was fast to put up, easy to carry, and roomy enough for three adults and two dogs.
ROOMY: Not all of us sit under the umbrella at the same time, but the dogs (medium-sized) can fit under the umbrella with a lot of room to spare while the rest of us keep our heads in the shade and lay out in front of the umbrella. If I had small children they could have fit completely in the shade with the two dogs and the coolers.
EASY TO CARRY: It comes in a carrying bag that is easy to carry on a shoulder but does seem a little cheap, but only time will tell how well it stands up to carrying, so far so good!
FAST TO PUT UP: The set up is simple: turn a knob to lower the spiked end of the pole, pop it open like an umbrella, lower the two side flaps and stake down the umbrella in the 6 stake spots. The whole thing takes maybe 2 minutes. I go to a sheltered beach where wind isn't much of a problem, but it seemed sturdy enough to be able to withstand wind. It also comes with tie downs to help if it's really windy.
I wish I had bought this a year ago!

5.0 out of 5 stars Baseball Mom lifesaver!, June 20, 2010
W. Blanken (Arlington, Washington United States) - See all my reviews
My son plays Little League in the Pacific Northwest. This means a LOT of wet, windy & cold games. I am also the scorekeeper and it is a nightmare trying to keep the book dry.
I bought the sportbrella at the beginning of the season and it was one of my best purchases. I love the easy set up and the fact that two people can easily sit in it. The wind does want to carry it away but I was able to get around that by attaching the pole to my chair!
I also bought a big buddy heater and the sportbrella did a great job of trapping the heat. My pitch counter and I were two spoiled moms!
I never had a problem with it leaking. The only time we got a little wet was when the rain started going sideways and blew in at us.
By the middle of the season these babies were popping up all over!

I LOVE that it is so easy to set up!
I LOVE that it fits two people!
I LOVE that it traps the heat from a heater!
I LOVE that it is so portable!
I LOVE that it is well made and shows no sign of wear after a long NW baseball season.

5.0 out of 5 stars Metal on the new model. Great umbrealla - improved!, June 21, 2010
We'd gotten the version without the windows last summer, which had a plastic stand and plastic screw handle to keep the umbrella up. Upon first use the plastic screw handle broke, which obviously meant that the umbrella wouldn't stay open.

BUT, although we returned that one, we decided to give it another shot this summer, since it was such a great idea and worked so well otherwise... we were *so happy* when we received it to find that the plastic had been replaced with metal!!! I don't know if this is only on the "deluxe" model with the windows, but this thing is fantastic and perfect now... really stays put even in the sand at a windy beach, and we love it!

The windows are nice too, because you can keep them closed, or zip them open for a breeze. BEST umbrella ever!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Umbrella, Effort Required, July 11, 2013
Living as we do in Waikiki, a five minute walk to the beach, I was very excited to receive this product, and I was not disappointed. Or at least, mostly not. The product is very well made with a lot of practical features such as pockets and flaps, and provides shade from the warm Hawaiian sun (or wherever you may be), and shelter from the odd rainshower. But nothing comes for free, and the price here is --- work!

To begin with, this is one heavy unit, and you aren't going to want to carry it very far. Our five minute, block and a half walk is more than enough and probably too much. It's tiring to carry this any distance at all. The second thing is that as it *is* a large unit, it requires stakes to hold it, lest it go sailing in the Trade Winds (and maybe even cause damage or injury). This means that if you stay at the beach (campsite, etc.) for any length of time, you'll have to move the stakes as you turn the unit to maintain shade. And when it rains, you better move fast and have that hammer ready to repound your stakes in the new orientation!

The unit claims to shelter four people, and it sort of will. Two non-fat adults and two similar small children will fit fine; more than that will be cozy.

Still in all, it's a very good product which is likely to last for quite a long time. It is wonderful for two adults who share the chore of carrying and setup. If you spend a lot of time at the beach or campsite, you might want to consider this unit.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good Idea but......., January 17, 2010

4.0 out of 5 stars Is it a tent or an umbella? It's both., July 25, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is the umbrella that wants to be a tent. It's huge and big enough for a whole family to get under. They say it's easy to carry and it has a carry sack, but I wouldn't want to lug that thing around all day.

The first thing my husband asked was if it was camo. Sadly, no.

I gave it 4 stars because the stake/post is a bit thin and it doesn't hold in place when you stick it in the ground, even when tightening the fastener. Needs a better method to secure the pole. It'd probably be okay for the beach, but not the mountains, where I live.

Sport-Brella Umbrella, Red