Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Maxwell Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on July 11, 2011
The first time we used it, on a perfectly still hot day, it was perfect. The second time we used it, a breeze picked up while I was opening it and it instantly flipped inside out and the shaft snapped at the joint. Useless. Have my RMA ready to go back to Amazon.

Too bad, seemed like a nice product. We really liked it for the kiddo + chairs the first time we used it.
on July 13, 2012
We got to use this umbrella exactly one time. The second time we went to the beach it broke as we were setting it up. It wasn't even a windy beach day. But as soon as we opened it, the umbrella turned completely inside out and to one side. Half the poles bent and the top joining mechanism popped off. It looked like it had been super glued on. I am very unhappy to have paid so much money for an umbrella only to have it fall apart after some very light use. It's completely unacceptable. I have a picture of what the umbrella looked like but I don't see an option to display that. I think I deserve my money back but it says my last day to return it was a few days ago. Of course I couldn't return it if I wanted to. It was so jumbled up we couldn't fit it in the car and had to throw it away.
on June 30, 2016
We have used this umbrella for several years with not issues and have gotten our moneys worth, but this year we had it turn inside out with mild wind and it resulted in the umbrella being destroyed. I do wonder if I could have opened it differently to keep the wind from turning it inside out, but it was not a significantly windy day at the beach and many other people had much cheaper umbrellas that survived the mild winds. I really enjoyed the years we got out of this umbrella and feel I got my moneys worth out of it. I do wish that it would have lasted longer because I took care to make sure that it was taken care of. I don't usually buy disposable items as I am on a limited budget and take care of what I have. I am on the fence on trying this product again. I feel we have used it on days with much more wind with no issue, but like anyone that has their umbrella fold the beginning of the day at the beach I am a little bitter. The years we did use it we saved rental fees that have paid for it and then some.
on December 4, 2011
Now'adays, companies make ridiculously cheap things, and sell them to us for a premium... and this is the norm. This is one of the few times when the norm is just NOT followed.

This product is extremely well made. The rod that is placed into the ground, to make it a stand up umbrella, is solid, and you are able to hammer (yes, hammer) it into the ground! That alone is worth buying this thing. Now let's take a look at the ground stakes... most companies send plastic stakes. Few send those little tiny bent wires (we all know what these are), and that's what this company sends, but they ALSO SEND the heavier angled ground stakes AND guy-out lines!!! I am an avid outdoorsman, and this is the first time I've come across a product that gives me 2 different types of stakes, AND guy-out lines!!! And for less than $100!!!

Another plus: the seams are well made, and I expect them to last for a long time. Some products will only last 10-20 times before the sewing becomes un-stitched... and granted I haven't used it 10-20 times yet, I CAN tell that the product is well made, and so I can EXPECT it to last well over 10-20 times.

The weight: not bad at all.
The size: perfect (although it really only holds 2 adult chairs/coolers comfortably (and I do stress, "comfortably").

So everything is great? No. One little, small problem. The zippers are cheap.

So, would I recommend?

Absolutely.
on July 8, 2014
Thought this would be great for our two small children but was very disappointed when one of the poles poked through fabric after 1st time we used it. We used it once the whole summer, and the next time we went to open it up all of the plastic pole pieces were completely detached and we were left trying to reconstruct the thing while at the beach. Needless to say, it was too much of a hassle and we ended back up with a regular beach umbrella. Would return but it was too late when we opened it up the next summer and found it broken :(
on July 13, 2011
We love our 2 sport brella xl umbrella shades in olive green (yes we bought 2). They are very easy to set up. We bought these for our upcoming weekend outings to the beach, but have already used them around our pool to provide shade while the kids swim. These work great on their side as the pictures indicate (we set ours up in our back yard to try them out), or standing upright like a traditional beach umbrella. Easy to take down too. The XL are nice and we are glad we went with them, however, I can see that if you do not have a large vehicle it could be frustrating to transport them. They are long and rigid when collapsed, so there will not be a lot of options to insert these into a small trunk. If your back seat folds down and you can use that area in addition to your trunk, it will fit. We have SUV's in our family, so no problem for us, if you do not have a large carry space, or a space where you could fit a long narrow object, then I agree with the other reviewers, you might need the regular sized sport brella. In addition to the two umbrellas we purchased a metal umbrella anchor for one, to use when we are at the beach and want upright shade. The sport brellas do come with materials to anchor the umbrellas to the ground, not sure if the stakes that come with it are long enough for the sand, but will find out shortly on our next beach trip. Overall, this is a nice quality product. The sun protecting fabric is nice. We had considered going with a shade hut, but after seeing some of those on the beach, I can see where getting a breeze could be a problem as can adjusting it with the moving sun of the day. The sport brella over comes these issues because it can be easily moved to maxmize sun blocking as needed, and because it is an umbrella, breezes are able to enter the open area easily.
on May 24, 2012
The quality of the product is excellent. Well made, thoughtfully designed, and highly compact. It is noted in other reviews, and it is very true, that the XL version is too long to fit in most sub-compact cars. While I can carry it in my KIA Forte easily with no passengers, if I have my kids or otherwise, the XL is too long to fit, unless it is placed along the centerline of the car. That is not a reflection on the quality of the item, but is something that should be highlighted better in the product descriptions.

The Sportbrella is made of solid materials, and you feel highly confident about durability as you unpack it. It can be setup in less than a minute, though putting the side flaps and stakes into the ground can take a bit longer. I choose the olive green color and am very pleased with it. You can setup in a park without standing-out like a sore thumb, despite the size of the Sportbrella. That is nice if you use this for more than kids soccer games. It will block the sun almost entirely. It is waterproofed as well.

I looked for alternatives to the Sportbrella, but have not found anything online or in-person that matches this. With prices in the $49 range, it really is a high-quality bargain. I might have bought two smaller Sportbrellas had I realized how tight a fit the one was. However I am very happy with my XL, and will recommend it to others.
on December 22, 2014
This is probably my 4th or 5th version of the Sport-Brella over the years. The latest X-large version is by far the best!

Many of my previous versions over the years didn't last through sudden storms on the beach, or just simply fell apart and had to be replaced. Customer service is very good, and they replaced 2 of them rather quickly.

If you are going to the beach with this, I highly recommend getting a sand spike, and umbrella hook. Also, don't throw away those cords and spikes, you might need to tether the umbrella down if it gets windy.
on July 6, 2011
I purchased this umbrella and have been using it for several months at the beach. This umbrella provides excellent shade and is easy to put up. Hint to all rookies: DIG into the sand elbow deep, insert pole, use rubber hammer to hammer down pole, fill hole with remaining sand. You will not be disappointed and this umbrella is sturdy and built to last. I have not yet had the need to tie down both flaps in the sand, but the beach can get quite windy and I'm sure to soon. I see many others with this umbrella and they have no problems with tying it down and it staying put. A good buy and looks great!
on August 6, 2012
I used this at a kids soccer and baseball games and also at parks. Oddly I've actually yet to use at the beach which is why I originally purchased it. Outside of one of the larger stakes bending easily I am pleased with its ability to stay in the ground on windy days using the stakes provided. It provides great coverage for the kids when they are taking a break from their activities. I had two adult size fold out chairs and two kids on the ground under it to watch a soccer game. I've also been able to fit a large stroller (stroller plus bucket system) with adult and kids still shaded. The side vents are good for when you can't have the umbrella opening pointed into the breeze. Setup and take down is just as easy as can be.

As a "side story" I actually went to buy this at Costo originally since I saw online they were a reseller and when I got there they didn't have it and instead carrier one of those "quick and easy" tents that cover about the same area and similar circle-ish shape. It was a pain and I was so happy it broke on the 1st day out (just from using their "simple one pull to close" mechanism) and I returned it. The difference in setup, take down and storage between the tent and the Sport Brella is night and day to say the least. I can't say it enough that where the tent was a pain in the ___ the Sport-Brella is essentially as easy as an umbrella.