5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant device
This Nike+ kit works with your ipod nano, 3rd Gen and above. If you've got an ipod touch, it has its own receiver built in, so you don't need the whole kit, just the sensor- which is cheaper ($19).

Published on January 24, 2011 by M. Brown

2.0 out of 5 stars IPod+ just isn't accurate enough
Published on March 25, 2011 by Reader & Runner Man

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant device, January 24, 2011
This review is from: Nike+ iPod Sport Kit (NEWEST VERSION) [Retail Packaging] (Electronics)

This is not a 'pedometer'. It doesn't count your steps. It uses a much more accurate way to measure pace and distance- which is based on the inverse relationship between foot ground time and speed. If you're a 'normal' person, it may be pretty accurate right out of the box, but you can run a measured distance at your normal pace and calibrate the unit. When running at my 'regular' pace, I've found it to be remarkably accurate- hitting mile markers to within a few steps (which is more accurate than my Garmin GPS). However, the calculated relationship breaks down if you run up/down steeper hills, so that will throw it off. Also, if you significantly change your pace, it will come up a little short or long, but still generally within a few percent. Hey- nothing is perfect. Even my Garmin GPS gets 150ft off sometimes.

One of the best parts about it is that your run info gets uploaded to the Nike web site which provides zippy colorful graphs and plots, and lots of motivational tools, training plans, group challenges and such. All free!

There's no cheaper, better way to keep track of your running mileage. Kudos to Nike on this one. Oh- Nike sneakers have a built in spot for the sensor. But, if you don't run in Nike's, not a problem. You'll need to buy a little pouch that holds in on your shoe laces. Plenty choices available here on Amazon. I like the Switcheasy one myself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product but There is a better one, January 3, 2011
I recently purchased the entire nike plus system. It was great and easy to use, but once I loaded my first run onto the nike website from my phone an ad for a new nike app popped up. For around 2 dollars you can get a the NIke+ GPS app, that will do away with having to buy Nike specific shoes or even the little sensor. This is great because not only do you not need to buy all the extras but you don't have to change your brand of shoes, which is a huge issue for most serious runners. I ran with both for a while and the Nike+ GPS app is far more accurate and does not require a calibration run. Hopefully this helps you avoid buying the extras.

2.0 out of 5 stars IPod+ just isn't accurate enough, March 25, 2011
I had high hopes for this product as I am an avid long-distance runner. The setup and integration with ITunes, etc. are great. It is easy to put it all together to go out for a run. I ran one run without calibrating it and ended up having it undermeasure by about 10% (It measured 9.0 for a 9.7 mile run). I then calibrated it on my next run and it worked well that day. The next run, however, it was off again about 10%. So the next run I calibrated it again and it worked okay for that day. The next run... You get the picture. I don't know why it won't work for me, but I am really frustrated and wish I wouldn't have purchased this product. The idea and ease of use are terrific, but if it can't measure my runs with accuracy--this is a no go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes me addicted to running, February 24, 2011
D. Burke (Michigan, USA) - See all my reviews
I've been using the Nike + sensor since mid-September. I have Nike Pegasus shoes that are designed with a pocket to hold the chip and an ipod nano 5th gen. I've logged just over 100 miles with it on the Nike website. This thing motivates me to keep moving so I can log more miles.

I love how many options it gives you. You can set it for a 5k workout on shuffle or a specific playlist or a specific song (I use Personal Running Trainer mp3's, also on amazon). When you select a specific distance or time, it gives you periodic updates "1 kilometer completed" "halfway point" and those are nice. If you do a basic workout, you get no automatic updates, but if you push the center button on your ipod it will update you on your time, distance and pace.

Then at the end of your workout, it tells you your time, distance, average pace, and calories burned. If you beat your best time for a mile, or go further or longer than you have in the past, a famous athlete's voice comes on and congratulates you. It's great to hear Tiger Woods congratulate you on your fastest mile.

On the Nike website, it logs all of your runs, and posts your runs to facebook if you want it to. I compete in challenges with my friends for "who can run the fastest 5k" or "who can log the most miles in February" and you can set your own personal goals as well, and you get medals when you achieve them.

As for accuracy, if you change your stride, due to changing surfaces, you can recalibrate the sensor at the end of the workout if needed. If you run on a track, and you know you did 3 miles, but the sensor is off by a little bit, just tell it what you really did, and the website will log what you told it to, and now it's recalibrated for next time. I've heard of some people buying multiple chips for walking, one for running, and one for racing, but I've found that it's usually really close. When you calibrate on its own, as opposed to the end of a workout, it does not keep track of those distances for that time you spent calibrating. I currently have mine calibrated to the treadmill, and I might have to recalibrate it when I start running outside again, but I don't know.

I have friends that have other brand shoes, and they bought the separate holder to hold the chip on their laces, and they like it just fine, so you don't need Nike shoes to use this.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cool, convenient ... but needs a math lesson, November 26, 2011
William Hoke (Seattle, Washington) - See all my reviews
I love the integration of this device, but there are bugs that leave me grinding my teeth when I use it. It allows me to track my pace and heart while also listening to my favorite recorded music, podcasts or radio stations, all in a tiny package on my wrist. I use it with a 6th generation iPod Nano mounted on a watchband, which is great because it is light, doesn't shake around and it allows me to keep the earphone cable out of my way by running it up my sleeve. The voice updates on pace and distance at the push of the power button are very convenient. However, I wish the those messages would pause the content playing so I don't lose a sentence or two of my podcast. Worst of all, though, I don't get reliable pace data. I can be running at an even 8:00min/mile pace, push the button and hear it report that to me, then push the button again a minute later and have it tell me I'm running at 40:00min/mile. And then there are more minor variations that leave me wondering if it was or was not accurate. Also there's the weird milestones it announces for achieving new thresholds, which recently went from telling me I'd run another 250 miles every time I ran to telling me I've run another 500 kilometers every time I run. Lastly, if I take off my shoes and start running barefoot with the heart rate monitor still on it declares my workout over and done - yet another indication that the design just isn't fully baked.

1.0 out of 5 stars WORKS GREAT!!! ...sometimes...., October 13, 2011
I bought this product primarily to hold myself accountable to a schedule and distance, and it works great for the most part. However, I've lost the data for about 1 out of every 5 runs. The product is full of bugs and glitches - software glitches, website glitches, iPod glitches. It is one of the most infuriating things I have ever come across: to get done with a run (after having pushed yourself) to find out that the data you've been using to keep track of your progress has been lost. I would definitely recommend Garmin or some other brand until Nike can get this technology figured out and sufficiently reliable.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working after 3 weeks, September 23, 2012
I only wore it a total of 8 times for a 40 minute run/walk each time.

The directions said not to wear it all the time or it would wear down the battery so I kept it on my desk and only put it in the special pocket I purchased with it when I would walk. My ninth time trying to use it...it would not sync up with my phone. I looked online for batteries and the cost was $20 to get a battery and have someone install it and I read it would look like crap after the install due to the need to use superglue...at that rate I might as well by another but if I only get 8 runs out of it, no thank you.

2.0 out of 5 stars Limited life, August 10, 2012
Why would you create a product that runs on a battery and not provide an option to recharge or replace the battery. Nike/Apple were probably thinking there will be a new model out by the time the battery runs out, so you'd buy that. But why should I be forced to buy the new model, if the old one works just fine for my needs?

Otherwise, while it works, its great.

2.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre at best., July 26, 2012
This product isn't all I hoped for. It's difficult to use on my iPhone, and the web site is very confusing. Often, when I'm running, it stops recording, so I end up with inaccurate results. It I wouldn't recommend this product to a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do not need this with the 6th gen. nano, July 21, 2012
I saw this item and never even used the nike application that was on the nano since I have had it. Went to the store to get it and created nike account which links your nano to keep track of your work outs. Only on part is that on the confussing Nike site it states that you don't have to have the sport kit, which I didn't find till thoroughly researching the item . If you have a 6th gen. nano you do not need the nike application. The nano does everything the sport kit does and works great.