on April 26, 2008
I've used two other lap counter/timers and the SportCount Chrono 100 is my favorite.

Using a lap counter I am able to forget about how much I've done and just swim. Those sessions when I swim a bit, then check the count and find that I've gone two or three times longer than I thought are a thrill allowed by these devices.

Others have criticized the push button -- that it doesn't always register -- but compared to a different ring-type device I used I find it very good. I can definitely feel the click of the button beneath the flexible plastic cover. Overall, I've had far fewer missed laps with this counter than the other type.

The ring-style counter prohibits the use of swim gloves. I haven't tried using hand paddles, although it might be possible to easil increment the ring counter while wearing them.

I have also used a wrist-watch type counter. Incrementing it requires two hands, definitely a disruption of my turning style.

My only complaint about the SportCount functionality is the lack of a pause function. In the pool three times a week I swim a mile to a mile and a half, with a few rests along the way. Since I can't pause the counter, I have to let it record a "lap" while I rest. Consequently, the total and average summaries are innaccurate. But then, I enter all my splits into a spreadsheet anyway, so I just eliminate the rest laps to get my real data.

With regard to reliability, the SportCount falls in the middle of the spectrum for the devices I've used. My old Speedo ring counter (no longer available as far as I can tell) lasted for several years, but I wasn't swimming as much then. The SportCount seems to be good for less than a year before the batteries run down. The wrist style counter from Zoggs has been a nightmare -- the first two were defective. After a recall and replacement months later I got a working one, but its LCD is starting to fade after only a month. So underwater electronic devices are problematic from the start.

The bottom line: If you're a serious swimmer, in training, or like me just a data geek who wants to see incremental improvement for encouragement, a lap counter is a must. And the SportCount is the best-of-breed from among those I've tried.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 16, 2010
I have used the previous version of SportsCount Chrono 100 (the yellow one with two buttons) and liked it. I was a little dubious about the one button approach, but I love it. The one button approach is actually very intuitive and easy to remember. I wear it on my middle finger on the inside of my palm and it is very easy to click the button with my thumb when I turn. I haven't missed a click yet. And best of all, the battery is replaceable (unlike the previous version)!
on October 3, 2013
I'm an average swimmer. I will put up about 500 to 1000 yds. 3 times a week.

I have the goggles, speedos, and various swim caps from events I have swam in (though I only wear those when I want others to see how cool I am).

A typical swim for me is go to the local community pool, get in the lane (I swing my arms around and back and forth first because I saw someone do that while watching the Summer Olympics). I then proceed to boost my ego by chasing down nice people just trying to get into shape and doing cool stuff like flip turns and swimming the length of the pool under water.

I kept track of my laps like most folks swimming at my level by just keeping track in my head. I would start with 1, 1, 1, 1 then 2, 2, 2, 2 then 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 which is almost as annoying writing as it is saying it in my head.

But that all changed.

I was looking for a watch that would count laps for me in the pool and came across the SportCount Chrono 100 and I thought I would give it a try.

I ordered it from Amazon on a Monday and I got it on Wednesday (I have Amazon Prime). I took it out of the package and tried it out on different fingers (middle, pointer, ring I settled on pointer) it was a little tight and I thought that might be a problem but when I got it in the water later that night it seemed to loosen up a bit. I ran through the functions and it was simple to pick up. Basically click to start, click again to mark the next lap (it flashes a summary for a bit before continuing the timer), click and hold for 3 seconds to stop the session, click again to cycle through stats (best lap, worst lap, average, each individual lap time, total time), click and hold again for 3 seconds to reset it for the next session.

But that's not all.

I was swimming in my lane getting the feel for it (seeing if I could feel it click when I pressed the button, which I could)and I was swimming at a good clip (mostly because there was this cute girl half my age putting me through my paces and I was trying to keep out of her way)when I realized I wasn't counting laps.

It was liberating! I settled in, stretched out my stroke length and just ... swam. Breath and movement became one. I started seeing little fishes follow me around and heard the mournful echo of a whale song. A little boy was struggling in the lane next to me so I called out to my underwater friends and they boosted him along (you should have seen his smile). Mermaids were swimming up to me and offering necklaces of seashells but I had to telepathically let them know it wasn't cool to interrupt me while I was getting my swim on, they apologized and went off to talk to some hot younger guy with great hair lounging on the side of the pool, and I wasn't jealous at all.

I ended up swimming an extra lap that day partly because the counter said I was on lap 10 and I didn't know if it meant I had just finished lap 10 or I was just starting lap 10 (it was the former) but mostly because I felt good and I was less concerned with what lap I was on.

I recommend getting this. It will change your swim experience and you might get a cool shell necklace out of it.
on December 14, 2010
I purchased this product along with  and they've made my laps just fly by. I used to get distracted and miss/add laps but now I just pop on a good playlist or podcast and just click away care-free. You'd be surprised how quickly your form improves when you're not swimming to the mantra of "14, 14, 14, 14, 15, 15, 15, 15". I'm swimming further and stronger and enjoying it a whole lot more.
on April 5, 2008
While swimming, clicking the button with your thumb does not always register. You are well advised to check the screen to make sure the click took effect. This checking is a drag, figuratively and literally, because to see the screen you have to swivel your wrist back and change the angle of your head while gliding off the wall, and this of course slows you down. On the plus side, the software is very good and after a few laps you get used to the feeling of the counter being on your index finger. However, work needs to be done on the click mechanism to make it easier and doubt-free.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 25, 2013
I decided to get back into swimming twice a week to improve my fitness, but I remembered always losing count of laps when swimming before. I figured someone had to have already figured this out, and a quick search found this product. Actually, it found the simple lap counter sister device, but that linked to this. Since I haven't done a swim workout without this in years, I can't say how much better this is than remembering a count, but I have lost count and had to look at this thing a few times. It certainly is easier than I remember counting being all those years ago.

My reasoning for improving fitness is to be more competitive in my main sport - roller speed skating (indoor 100 meter track). That also requires counting laps at practice, but my coach usually does that for me. Or we just continue the drill until everyone else gives up. Of course, at races there are lap counters in full view of the finish line. Nonetheless, the fastest/slowest/average laps of a drill are interesting to note, so this will serve a purpose there as well.

Overall, I am relatively impressed with this device after using it for one week of exclusively swimming workouts. It isn't perfect, but it seems to be better than the current alternatives.

Pros:
Small and easy to use. If you think about it at all, there is a satisfying click when you press the button, so missed clicks are reduced or eliminated. I haven't missed a click yet except for when pausing (see the quirk mention). The screen is easy to read. The interace doesn't have a lot of confusing inputs or options. The stats are exactly what they are supposed to be.

Quirks:
You double click to pause, but that doesn't delimit the end of a lap. When you restart the timer, it continues timing that lap. Since you (or at least I) rest in between laps, this is the equivalent of not clicking at the end of a lap. You might think of triple clicking to mark the end of a lap and pause, but that doesn't work. It pauses, and then restarts. The solution is to double click to pause, then double click to restart and stop the lap. Not ideal, but workable.

Areas for improvement:
The band has two problems. The first is that it has settings not unlike you would see in a ball cap, which means there are no "in-between" settings. There is a setting that is good enough for me, but it doesn't feel perfect. The more annoying thing is that the band is noticeably thick - especially the part that is doubled up. It creates a gap between the fingers that makes it harder to maintain a proper cupping of the hands. The body of the device is also big enough to displace the thumb a little bit, but that is less easily addressable.

Timing for 99 laps is sufficient for my swimming workouts. I currently swim 74 lengths (just over a mile). Once I go beyond 99, I will start timing laps (2xlengths) instead. However, when I move to skating it isn't always enough. The lap counter goes to 999, so it seems like more times should be available.

When you click, the lap count is displayed for a short period of time, then the lap time, and then the running clock. I would like the lap count to either alternate with the running clock or be displayed longer.

Pie-in-the-sky wishes:
It is easy to find any individual lap time, but just try copying each of 50+ times into a spreadsheet. Because the device shows a lap number and then the time, this takes time. I would really like some sort of CSV output.

With a gyroscope, the device could determine which way you are facing (a little bit harder if it is on a hand moving back and forth, but algorithmically possible). 180 degrees from a baseline is half a lap. Back to the original orientation is a full lap. Maybe do 360 +/- 10 and reset the baseline. Maybe use changes in acceleration that would indicate hitting a wall to supplement this. Then, there wouldn't be any clicking at all.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 12, 2014
I'm an average swimmer, but I like to know how many laps I'm swimming, my lap times, and total time swimming. The Sport Count 90000 looked like just the thing, and even had the bonus of average lap speed, and fastest and slowest laps. I really wanted to like it, and I initially liked the ergonomics of the counter, but found out quickly that it was too easy to miss-hit the lap button even when attempting to be very attentive to doing so. Once you miss-hit the lap button your lap count is off, and so is your average lap speed and your slowest lap. You won't know that you've miss-hit the lap button unless you put the Sport Count up to your face to read it after hitting the lap button, and then only if you "remember" what lap number you're on. See the problem? If I can remember the lap, I don't need a lap counter.

While swimming, it's hard to see the number of laps you've swum. The screen is small, and the total lap number is only displayed for 3 seconds once you hit the lap button. I found it disruptive to my swim rhythm to attempt to read the lap number at the turn. I thought this might be mitigated when I entered the "Pause" mode at the end of a lap set. Unfortunately, you only get total lap time and not the number of laps. Why not display total laps and total time alternately while in the "Pause" mode? That would be helpful. Unfortunately, you won't get total laps until you hit the lap button again, swim a lap, hit the button again at the turn, and then attempt to read the counter while swimming. It makes it difficult to use as a lap counter until the end of your swim, and then only if you have managed to hit the lap button correctly each lap.

Finally, once you go into "Summary" mode, and cycle through all the very useful information (if you have hit the lap button correctly each time), you can't go back into "Timing and Lap Counting" mode unless you reset the counter which then deletes all of your existing data. It would be useful to be able to go into "Summary" mode during intervals of your swim, see how you were doing so far, and then return to "Timing and Counting" mode without losing all of your existing data for that swim. You should only have to delete this data when you want to, or the memory fills up.

These features should be easy to program into this counter. I know a lot of people like the Sport Count 90000, and it probably serves their needs, but it could be so much better with just a few tweaks in the programming. For me it just doesn't cut it, and I'll return it if possible.
on October 4, 2008
Update: July 30, 2010: I bought the Chrono 100 lap counter almost two years ago and use it every single time I swim. If you are like me, it's easy to lose track of how many laps you swam. The Chrono let's me know exactly how many laps. At first I was turned off a little bit by the thickness of the counter, after all it is basically the thickness of your typical digital watch. But I'm completely used to it and find it to be a much better option than anything else I've seen other swimmers use. It's better than a wrist watch because you don't need two hands to use it. I wear the counter on my forefinger and just click the button with my thumb. The button is easy to push as you swim and it has always registers the lap and split time each time I pressed the button. A couple of times I may forget to push the button after completing a lab but the Chrono registers both lap number and split time so you can quickly see when you've forgotten to press (ie one lap at 1:50 instead of two at 55 seconds). Also nice that you can review total laps, total time, average lap time, fastest and slowest splits, and each individual lap time. All in all a great tool that helps me keep track of laps, and helps me to keep track of progress.
on April 8, 2011
I received this a couple days ago and was very excited to get a good swim in while using this to track my swim. I used it for the first time this morning in a pool for laps. It worked great for the first 5 laps. The button responded perfectly when I hit it once for a lap and twice to pause. Then the screen went blank... Water got into the device.

I have sent a request to exchange the drowned one for a new one... I will provide an update when I hear back from the company.

Edit:

I called the company and they quickly sent me a replacement. It survived its first training session use - 1300 yards. It is easy to use and provides reports when done, as expected. This is definitely a tool that has made tracking my training much easier! Hopefully this replacement lasts at least a few more months!

Also, the battery does look like it can be easily replaced.
on March 28, 2012
I thought this device would help me keep track of the laps while swimming, but I am unable to do so as the display is too small, there is no background light and I have to bring the counter up really close to my eyes to be able to see the numbers on it. This disturbs the rhythm and is just not practical.

If you need a device that gives you the possibility to see the number of laps AFTER your swim session, this is probably a good investment.
If you need a device that gives you the possibility to see the number of laps WHILE swimming, stay away.