4.0 out of 5 stars Stable & Surprisingly Compact
Published on February 23, 2011 by The Dave

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, but with caveats...
The good:
- Fairly sturdy for the price, and doesn't involve drilling into the wall or ceiling.
- Holds two bikes in a small amount of space.

The caveats:
Published on November 6, 2011 by alykat

4.0 out of 5 stars Stable & Surprisingly Compact, February 23, 2011
This review is from: SportRack BSR12 Universal 2 Bike Stacker (Sports)
My bike collection started to get out of hand (I swear they must mate at night and have babies) so I needed to elevate at least a few of them off the floor. After trying out several options (direct wall mounted hangers - HEAVY DUTY DRYWALL ANCHORS DO NOT WORK), I settled on buying a freestanding rack. I was about to order one from a large cycling chain (N--hb-r), but checked amazon just in case. Turns out amazon sells the same thing but cheaper - just branded differently. With free prime shipping it was a no brainer!

I accidentally sent it to my office and I was worried it would be too bulky to carry home (NYC commuting by subway). It comes in a flat 3" deep pack, about 2ft wide and 4ft long and weighs just under 30lbs. Not too terrible.

Setting up was simple. The instructions are fine albeit without words, and there is one particularly funny drawing of a "strong man" turning a screw indicating that you should really screw that in tight! My only gripe is that one of the metal rods had a fine dusting of rust covering it. The rod itself wasn't rusted at all. I wiped it down with a damp rag and it was fine so I'll let that slide.

Like most of the other reviewers, I am pleasantly surprised by how stable and solid this rack is. It's holding a cruiser that weighs 35lbs on top and a commuter that weighs about 30lbs on the bottom. I was afraid the "feet" would stick out too much from the wall, but it's relatively compact and actually holds the bikes very close to the wall. Also the "arms" that hold the bikes can be independently adjusted. So you can customize how your bikes are held up depending on the top tube. This was especially helpful for the old cruiser that has a step through frame.

I didn't do much cost comparison with in-store models, but the price isn't unreasonable and the quality is pretty damn good. There aren't any moving parts so I can't imagine anything on it will wear out. Perhaps if the arms are constantly adjusted.

Great product, highly recommended, and your significant other will be much happier that all your bikes are laying all over the place.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solved my problem!, October 18, 2009
This review is from: SportRack BSR12 Universal 2 Bike Stacker (Sports)
This rack allowed me to free up some much needed floor space in the garage. Assembly wasn't terribly difficult, just be sure to thread all screws without tightening them all the way until you're almost done. Note that another rack with the Nashbar brand name is the same product as this. I bought an extra set of "arms" to attach to the back side of the rack, so I can store three bicycles on the rack.

5.0 out of 5 stars solid rack, December 13, 2008
This review is from: SportRack BSR12 Universal 2 Bike Stacker (Sports)
Solid and sturdy definitely the best rack I have found. Its adjustable settings allowed me to use it for womans bike with low bars most racks are unable to do this. I also like the add-on possibilities it has

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, but with caveats..., November 6, 2011
alykat (Arlington, Va.) - See all my reviews
The good:
- Holds two bikes in a small amount of space.

The caveats:
- Even with the adjustable-height arms, this rack didn't play well with my women's bike (a Novara Fiona). Because of the angle of the bike frame, the arms would torque a bit against the SportRack, which made me a bit nervous. We ended up buying a crossbar adapter intended for a car-mounted bike rack (Yakima Tube Top Women's or Dual Suspension Bike Rack Frame Adapter), and that did the trick.
- There's little more than gravity holding the top half of the SportRack together with the bottom rack, which can lead to a little awkwardness when you try to move the rack and grab the top half by mistake. I wish the two halves were more solidly locked together.
- The metal frame is surprisingly soft. When you tighten the screws for the adjustable arms, they leave divots in the frame.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Stable and Compact, August 25, 2012
This review is from: SportRack BSR12 Universal 2 Bike Stacker (Sports)
Extremely stable base that is highly resistant to tipping, even when two bikes are loaded. When attempting to tip it over by hand to test its stability, I found that A LOT of effort is required, above and beyond anything this rack would see under normal use, short of a Godzilla attack or major earthquake. This rack easily fits two 29-inch wheel hardtails.

Things to look for if you are considering this rack:

- Since the cradle arms carry the bike from the top tube, your bike needs to have a top tube. Female-specific bikes that have a very low top tube may require some sort of bar attachment to work.

- The two vertical beams that form the rack's spine are spaced 14 inches apart (when measuring the leftmost outer edge to the rightmost outer edge) and 13 inches apart (when measuring the center-to-center distance of the beams; each beam is 1 inch wide). Each cradle arm is 1.625 inches high, 0.75 inches wide, and 12.25 inches long. The cradle arms can be angled inward slightly toward the rack's centerline. When angled, the cradle arms are spaced between 12 and 12.5 inches horizontally (leftmost outer edge to rightmost outer edge). Your bike's top tube should at least have this amount of clearance to fit. (Don't forget to factor in the cradle arm's height, to determine if it can fit in the bicycle frame's front triangle, where the top tube, head tube, and down tube all meet. You may need to draw a picture!) A shorter bike or a full-suspension mountain bike with a rear shock or bulky rear linkage might be a challenge.

- If your bike's top tube is curved (like Norco mountain bikes, for example) or is otherwise an odd shape, you might still be able to mount the bike on the rack. However, the bike will probably end up slanted, such that both tires are NOT level with the ground.

- When assembled, the rack's total height is 81 inches tall. When mounted against a wall, the rack's total depth is 23 inches, measured from the wall to the front of the rack's base. Since handlebars on most adult bikes are 26.5 inches or longer, the handlebars determine the depth taken up by the rack. The total width required will obviously be determined by the length of the bikes.

- Height-adjustment of the cradle arms is extremely easy, since each arm can independently slide up and down to any position and is held in place by a corresponding screw. Each screw tightens against the vertical beam and pinches the metal to create a friction stop. However, using a single screw to hold an individual arm in place can also be a weakness. Road bikes and most mountain bikes should be okay, but I would not be comfortable putting an extremely heavy Big Bertha beach cruiser on this rack.

Overall, I am extremely happy with this purchase. The only reason I did not give it 5 stars is due to the workmanship. Think IKEA furniture quality, except one notch lower. The rack is assembled with bolts, and during assembly, I found that some holes did not line up quite right. I needed some pliers and a wrench to "persuade" some pieces to fit. The metal is also somewhat soft, so overtorquing bolts should be avoided unless you want to create divots or strip threads.

Once assembled, this rack is solid and provides a convenient and space-efficient home for both my bikes.

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid rack, May 8, 2010
This review is from: SportRack BSR12 Universal 2 Bike Stacker (Sports)
After taking the parts out of the box, this rack was fairly simple to put together however it is not so much a one-person task. All told, it took me about 15 minutes to get it all assembled and tightened. Then another 15-20 minutes to get it adjusted. *WARNING* When it comes to adjusting the arms for each bicycle, you will likely need to lift the bike multiple times. It is nearly impossible to adjust the arms while the bike is hanging from them. I'd recommend adjusting the arms in an open area before you place it in its storage position. Once you get it adjusted, it works well.

Another recommendation is that you position it so that the top bicycle rests as close to the wall as possible and the lower bicycle rests a little further out. That way, you can actually park a 3rd bicycle on the floor in front of it like I do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Nice Bike Stand, August 15, 2010
This review is from: SportRack BSR12 Universal 2 Bike Stacker (Sports)
I was going to go with the Thule- But I thought why pay for the name. It is the same bike stand!! Not hard to put together-looks really nice-I am using it in my garage and it is perfect. I too have three bikes on it- Two F/S Mnt. Bikes on bottom (they face opposite directions) and a road bike on top. With the sloping top tube on the mnt bikes this rack works great. If worried about your wires that go under your frame the bike rack comes with the holder shaped in "V" slot so it is perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely perfect, July 23, 2010
This review is from: SportRack BSR12 Universal 2 Bike Stacker (Sports)
I have 4 bikes, fitting those into a NYC apartment is not so easy. I was lining them up before but now its so much easier with two in the air and two leaning up against the stand. You can place the arms anywhere, I have two facing in each direction near the top of the stand, as long as I have the one in the rear positioned close to the stand, i.e. not at the end of the arms, there is no issue with balance/stability. I also hang my helmet from the two crossbars. Again, couldn't ask for anything better.

4.0 out of 5 stars After assembly, great to have, November 30, 2011
This review is from: SportRack BSR12 Universal 2 Bike Stacker (Sports)
It was a bit hard to bit together, but after that, you have an extremely adjustable bike rack that is sturdy (read: heavy) and easily holds two bikes on the front without becoming unbalanced. I think you can also get clips for the back, but I'm not sure about that.

I have mine sitting on a carpeted floor in my apartment in San Francisco and it extremely sturdy (especially with 50 or so pounds weighing it down). There have a few very minor earthquakes recently (like under 4.0) and it hasn't affected the bike rack at all, so that's good.

Pros:
-Ships in a flat box, which is GREAT since I had to get it delivered at work and drive it home
-Super adjustable. You can move both the bars, as well as the little sliders on the bars that the top bar on the bike frame sits in
-Really sturdy
-Simple design which looks fine in your garage or in your apartment

Cons:
-A bit complicated to set up
-Heavy
-Bulky (which is to be expected) so it probably won't be easy to move

really happy with the purchase, and it was a great price, so I was pleasantly surprised with what great quality the material was and how sturdy the bike rack is.

UPDATE: Now using it to store three bikes (two on the bottom and one on top). Still sturdy and still working great!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Bike Rack, August 21, 2012
This review is from: SportRack BSR12 Universal 2 Bike Stacker (Sports)
I just got this rack and set it up today. I'll write an initial review and then update it in a few weeks with further findings.

Pros:

The rack is not wobbly at all on our carpet. If you have a hard floor, you might want to pay extra attention when screwing in the rubber bottoms. This will make sure each bottom is at the same height to prevent diagonal wobbling. We have carpet, so we didn't care about the small difference in rubber stopper height. That said, once you get the base level, the rest of the frame is very secure.

The arms can be adjusted up and down very easily, but not side to side. I see this as a pro, because it means added stability.

The frame mounts on each of the arms have no fasteners. I see this as a pro as well, because there is no need to secure them, and it allows you to adjust your bike's side-spacing very easily.

Final pro: it does what it is supposed to simply, compactly, and securely.

Cons:

The construction and design of this rack is not super precise, which is noticeable when putting it together. For instance, once the base is bolted together, the two uprights can be swiveled about the base a little bit. With the supports bolted on, each side can swivel similarly. This isn't a huge problem if you tighten the bolts further.

The fasteners for each of the arms screw in, using metal-on-metal contact to secure the arm at a certain height. The metal-on-metal action seems unreasonable, but at least it works.

The instructions do not go in depth. If you just want pictures to reference, then they are fine.

The rubber bottom screw-ins can cut your fingers if you aren't careful.

Verdict: This bike rack is well worth the money. I will update this review in a few weeks with additional findings.
Update: nothing new to report. Still a good bike rack.

SportRack BSR12 Universal 2 Bike Stacker
$139.95 $120.99
In stock. Usually ships within 3 to 4 days.