4.0 out of 5 stars Nice heart rate monitor with a quirk...
Published on December 4, 2009 by Tony Desland

2.0 out of 5 stars Short lived - plenty to complain about
Published on December 21, 2009 by David

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice heart rate monitor with a quirk..., December 4, 2009
This review is from: Sportline Duo 1010 Heart Rate Monitor Watch with d Chest Belt (Sports)
I purchased this heart rate monitor and have had it for about two weeks now. The nice thing about this heart rate monitor is that you can use the chest strap for continuous heart rate monitoring, or you can just simply use the watch, although to get a reading (sans chest strap), you will have to place one finger anywhere on the metal face of the watch and wait for a few seconds and then the watch will display your heart rate.

Now here is the quirk: I have found that when not using the chest strap and trying to get a heart rate reading when I'm sitting down, laying down, sitting at my desk, or otherwise inactive, I can get a reading about 75% of the time. At other times when I have my finger on the metal part of the watch awaiting a reading, the display would just blink at me for about 10 seconds or so, then go back to displaying the time without giving me a heart rate reading.

When working out on the stairmaster, running or doing any other form of exercise without the chest strap, I can get a heart rate reading 100% of the time which is excellent! With the chest strap, the reading is continuous at all times and I have had no issues there. This heart rate monitor seems to be very accurate and I have no other issues with this unit other than the fact that I don't always get a reading without the chest strap and when not working out. Other than that, I am satisfied with this heart rate monitor.

2.0 out of 5 stars Short lived - plenty to complain about, December 21, 2009
David (ROCKFORD, MN, United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased this monitor about 6 months ago. I run/bike 5+ days a week and use it with the strap provided all the time. At first I thought it was working fine, but after a few workouts I noticed that the sweat on my wrists would activate the manual touch heart rate monitor and it would bypass the chest strap. It would act like I didn't have a pulse and would stop tracking my heart rate until I took off the watch and wiped the sweat off. When I bike I have to take the watch off completely and just attach it to the handle bars for the same reason. About 6 weeks ago the monitor now says that my heart rate is fluctuating between 210 and 225. I know it's not right because on my stationary bike I can place my hands on that heart rate monitor and it shows 145 like it should. I've replaced the batteries in both the strap and the watch but it still fluctuates in the 200's and sometimes dips to the 90's when I'm in full stride. I'm now in the process of looking for a replacement and I doubt I'll buy a sportline again. Very poor quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good so far..., May 13, 2010
Cletus Blufflowski "The Bull" (Southern California, US of freggin A) - See all my reviews
Seems to give consistent, accurate readings. I haven't actually taking it running or anything like that, but so far on a bike, treadmill, and just being out and about it's working just fine with the strap and/or simply the watch (touch activated).

It does get a little irritating that, at times, when I try to press the buttons on the watch it will immediately attempt to pick up my heart rate. Any part of the faceplate metal activates the touch heart rate monitor, which also overrides the chest strap. But, it's no big deal overall.

To the person who only has about 75% success with the touch monitoring, I'd suggest tightening up your watch. I've noticed that, without the watch being firmly attached my wrist and in contact with my skin, it does exactly what you described and blinks for about 15 seconds before returning to the main screen. I first noticed this when I attempted to have my wife check her pulse while it was on my wrist; so, it seems to rely both on being in contact with your wrist AND having your finger placed against the metal sensor.

If things change when I get a little more active with it, I'll be sure to update. But, overall, I can't see how anybody would rate this a 1 or 2 star item.

5.0 out of 5 stars One small flaw but great product, August 30, 2010
This heart rate monitor is a great product overall, the only small downside that others have voiced is that the touch sensor will automatically override the strap sensor which I think it should be the other way around since traditionally the strap is more accurate in my opinion since it is directly on your heart. You will lose your heart rate for a little bit while doing this but do you honestly look at it the entire time while you are exercising? No otherwise you need to reevaluate your regimen if you need it to tell you that your working hard. As with all heart rate monitors they aren't 100% accurate sorry to spoil anyone's day on that one. But even though there was a small flaw I rated this product 5 stars simply because the overall value between price and features that this monitor has to offer. It is very consistent for the price and again the small problem is there but not enough to make me want to spend 50 more dollars on another heart rate monitor, I don't train for the olympics I train for myself... happy shopping and good luck!

4.0 out of 5 stars good entry HRM for price, April 14, 2011
Summary: For those wanting their first HRM, this is a good deal. The watch is nice and the strap is effective, and there is little like this at this price point. For serious performance, you might want dig deeper in your wallet and look elsewhere.

Pros: The chest strap is of good quality and works well with the watch and exercise equipment such as treadmill. Needs a battery, but a fresh battery can last hundreds of hours. Like all monitors, the electrodes need good contact with the skin. The watch is nice looking, looking like a real watch unlike the Mio competition. The functions are simple, and the recognition of the chest strap is automatic. Zones are based on your specific age/weight/sex, but you can modify these if you want. The 'touch' feature on the watch works by the built in electrodes attached to the metal on the front and back of the watch. Making contact with both sides starts the reading, shown by screen saying Touch, and as I said about all monitors, good clean contact helps to produce good, consistent readings. I like the fact the top metal goes all the way around the watch, so I can touch it anywhere instead of one particular spot. The memory holds the last workout, and there is also a countdown timer, but I've never used that. I've had is for several months and it seems durable enough.

Cons: I've seen most negative comments are how bad the touch reading is. I go back to my statement about clean skin contact. If I haven't cleaned my hands lately, or if I've got a covering of sweat on the watch, the touch performance deteriorates. People with 'weak' pulses might have difficulty as well. Understanding that, I'm not sure this is really a con. There are a few functional things I do not like, however. First, the stop-watch recorder does well with laps and recording highs, avgs, zones, cals, and fats. But I've noticed that if you stop the watch, and still have the strap active, it continues to count up some of the readings. I know that I'm still technically burning calories, but if I want to document these later when I get home, I have to immediately remove the strap or remember the calorie number when I stop. Second, I wish the touch action could be disabled when a chest strap reading is present. Again, going back to clean contacts, when I'm running and get really sweaty, sometimes the watch thinks the sweat on top is a finger touch, and if I'm looking to see where my HR is, all I see is the screen that says Touch. Perhaps they have updated this on newer units.

I'm just getting back into running, training to get a few races in. Since I've never had a HRM before, I think its very good for the price. It does what I want it to do while I'm training, and a lot of times I'll just wear it as a watch, and I can spot check my HR whenever I want. Would I like more functionality? Sure, but I don't expect that at this price, compared to what else is out there.

1.0 out of 5 stars dead out of the box, May 24, 2012
Simple enough, it SUCKS....there is a reason this watch has SO MANY bad reviews and its hard to review something when it doesn't work brand new out of the box, so I won't say anything else other than to say save yourself the frustration and buy something else.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money!, February 12, 2011
I am fairly new to cardio training but having bought a new treadmill, I decided it would be good to have a continuous read-out of my heart rate during interval training. I bought this HRM at a military BX more of an impulse buy than a reasoned purchase. All of the 1-star comments are spot on! I spent an hour trying to figure out the manual and set the functions. Definitely not easy but doable. On the treadmill, it was another story. Heart rate started out fine and climbed with increasing exercise. Then, it jumped from 135 bpm to 212 bpm then back to 196. (Can you say ventricular fibulation?)I took my pulse manually and found it to be what I expected. The next day I tried again. This time the display froze at 59 bpm. (My resting HR is about 78.) I returned it to the BX for a full refund and ordered the Timex Ironman HRM. Bottom line...it is a nice looking piece of junk!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, July 6, 2010
I really wanted to like this watch since I threw away so much money on it. First of all, the manual and the watch itself are so incredibly unuser-friendly that I want to throw them both out the window. I've sat down four different times to try to figure the two out (it's not even that I'm technology-impaired; I'm a 22 year old who is relatively tech-savvy), but to no avail. The concept is the only thing I can give this a star for, but Sportline is certainly not the way to go for a heart rate monitor. Second of all, there are about 800 different modes on this thing, but the words on the watch are so abbreviated and the font is so illegible that I can't figure out what is what. It apparently logs your workout information, but where? The manual is incredibly vague about how to start recording a workout, and the watch certainly doesn't do that automatically.

Overall, extremely disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars It does what it says it's suppose to do, August 3, 2010
I bought it on open package clearance at Dick's Sporting good for $[...]. I've used it for a couple of weeks and so far had no issues others here are complaining about. I didn't find any difficulty figuring out what to do with it as the functionality is fairly intuitive. I use it for the P90X workout and it keeps a constant track of my heart rate and gives me the percentage of my max making it easier to monitor my target zone. Only quirk I see is the touch sensitive bezel is very sensitive. If you accidentally brush your flesh on the bezel it assumes you are trying to measure your pulse through touch and override the strap. However, this will only last a few seconds and will revert back to the strap.

1.0 out of 5 stars Malfunctions from day one, February 21, 2010
First, the chest strap works great with gym equipment designed to pick it up. It works quickly and accurately with every treadmill and elliptical I've tried it with.

The watch is another matter entirely. On the one that I have, the touch version for getting heart rate works about 50% of the time. The rest of the time, it simply flashes and eventually goes back to whatever mode it was in before. When wearing the chest strap, the watch syncs up sporadically and after about 5 minutes of jogging, not at all unless, perhaps, I hold the watch perpendicular to and directly in front of the chest strap - not a comfortable way to run, to be sure. And, in the end, rather frustrating when I bought this specifically so that I could monitor my heart rate during an entire workout, not simply when I was on a treadmill or elliptical. Given the choice, I would not buy from this company again.

Sportline 1010 Men's Duo Heart Rate Monitor