Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Platform: Xbox 360|Change

on May 10, 2014
2014 FIFA World Cup is a difficult game to properly assess. It offers up a compelling experience, something the every-four-years edition has become known for, but one that will feel notably old-gen to those who played FIFA 14 on Xbox One or PlayStation 4.

I’ve long been vocal in my appreciation of 2010 FIFA World Cup which was one of my favorite games of the last generation and up there for many others as evidenced by its strong run in the “Best of” tournament late last year. It offered accessibility – acting as a bridge to the yearly FIFA series – and the ability to be a part of a shared worldwide event involving every nation (all of which were licensed). Presentation and atmosphere were outstanding and among the modes included was what would later become known as the popular “Online Seasons”.

Anticipation was high for what many expected to be a launch on the Xbox One and PS4 (even EA Sports initially stated it would be out for those consoles). Unfortunately that wouldn’t come to fruition and EA released it only on the Xbox 360 and PS3. Hype was significantly dampened but the product being offered remained strong.

There’s an unavoidable conflict in trying to evaluate the merits of 2014 FIFA World Cup. Once again the presentation and atmosphere are excellent and unique, and the modes deliver sufficient content. There’s no avoiding comparisons to late last year’s FIFA 14 however on XB1/PS4. In that regard, technical limitations are obvious, and gameplay takes a step back returning numerous frustrations that had been addressed.

The depth of content is certainly there. The modes are well executed and compelling. Whether it’s playing through the entire qualifying process, only the World Cup tournament, Captain Your Country (essentially a version of Be a Pro), or the Story of Qualifying/Finals which brings in scenarios to play through based on the real happenings – offline there is plenty to do. There is no Ultimate Team here but World Cup content will be coming to FIFA 14′s UT later this spring. Online once again features a spin on the Online Seasons with Road to Rio De Janeiro and a World Cup tournament.

Gameplay is fast, and turning it down may be one of the first things that should be done with the game, but it’s also part of the charm. World Cup isn’t attempting to be as faithful to simulation as the yearly FIFA franchise. It’s higher paced leading to more opportunities to score. That doesn’t mean scores get out of hand but novices will feel like they have a better chance at least to get on the board and have some level of success – and have fun doing it.

Still, falling back onto the old consoles has only magnified the advancements seen in FIFA 14. Though FIFA 14 on XB1/PS4 was not perceived as a huge jump in graphics it certainly appears more dramatic having gone from that one to World Cup. Aspects such as framerate suffer as well. Gameplay is hampered by long-running issues like a lack of aggressiveness to the ball by AI controlled teammates. They’ll just stand there and let opposing players capture possession. That’s an area improved upon significantly with the game on the new systems.

The presentation is great, and the atmosphere and audio once again wrap you up in the moment in a way most other sports games can not. Touches like the cuts to the fans in their home countries and the crowd reaction shots in cut scenes (or simply seeing them in the background) has quite the impact. The new talk radio may not get super specific but it’s a fantastic listen during time spent in the menus and contributes to the narrative as the modes progress.

Online play has been nothing short of perfect. In no match has any lag been experienced even when playing opponents in countries half way around the world. Unfortunately this World Cup game favors the ultra-aggressive. Opponents give no room to breathe and it’s difficult if not even possible to make them pay for it consistently. As soon as your player receives the ball he gets molested and it’s difficult to keep possession because of it with far too few fouls called.

The value is definitely there for 2014 FIFA World Cup – particularly for those who have not moved on to the new systems or haven’t played the FIFA series recently – however its a tough sell for everyone else. There’s no way to avoid that sense of disappointment for anyone going backwards to play it but for those that can get past that there’s a great game to enjoy. It’s just especially unfortunate that the new generation will be waiting another four years that same experience.
on June 4, 2014
The Good: EA really outdid themselves by getting the gentlemen from Men In Blazers to record a commentary track. If you're a GFOP ("Good Friend of the Pod") the game is worth it for that reason alone. Beyond that, EA focused on the players likely to get called up, so for once the team actually looks like their real-life counterparts. They also did a great job of capturing the 'feel' of the World Cup compared to Fifa14 by adding more cut-aways to the crowds, segments of the national anthems, more team-specific commentary, scenarios that pay tribute to actual events from qualifying etc.

The Bad: EA has done a terrible job of providing updates. As a devout USA fan, its utterly inexcusable that guys who made the final 23 like DeAndre Yedlin aren't even available in the selectable pool while we're just SEVEN days out from the damn competition. If you're going to spend $60 on a FIFA game, get FIFA 14 because the features are far more expansive and replay value for career mode is far higher.

Verdict: If you're a GFOP, Find a cheaper used copy from an American Outlaw who got so pissed off at EA for not updating it that they turned it in. If you're not a GFOP but you like soccer, pick up a copy anyways, overcome the game's deep flaws for the hardcore fan, and become a GFOP as a way of coping with the pain of spending $50 on a used copy when you could have bought Fifa14 instead.
on April 24, 2014
I'm not a FIFA Junkie and generally only buy soccer games when the World Cup comes around because I am bigger fan of the international play than the league play, hence I have bought the World Cup version every time it has been released since 2002. Obviously the big draw for me is playing a team through the qualification process and seeing how far I can go in the Cup Unfortunately EA sports has butchered this mode which should have been the bread and butter of this game. The campaign mode always starts in 2010 so even if you are playing a country from Europe, who's qualifying games don't start until 2012, you will need to watch the game sim through every month of 2010, 2011 and half of 2012. This takes a long time as there are a ton of friendlies and training sessions that will make the simulator stop even if you tell it to proceed to the first qualifying game. This means just getting to the first important match will take you 10-15 minutes of B.S. You will have about 6-8 friendlies during the years before the tourney starts. You can sim over them but if your team loses those games they get into bad form (this will happen if you play as a mid range or weaker team i.e. USA, Greece, Bosnia, or worse) which means by time you get to the actual qualifying your teams ability will be diminished due to these losses. Also, once you reach qualifying you have a bunch for friendless left to play in between matches.

To sum it up EA Sports took a 10 game qualifying campaign (euro) and made it into a 20 game process (10 of which are friendlies which only affect your teams form making them not worth the time playing but annoying if you lose the simulated match because it makes your team worse) and added 10-12 training sessions which again can be simulated over but they still slow down working your way through the calendar. Why they didn't put in a option to skip all this extra fluff that very few people will like I don't know.

If your looking to play the single player campaign mode I don't think its worth the 60 bucks. Keep your money and wait until this things price drops after the tourney. the format in 2010 was way better and will bring you more joy even if the rosters are outdated. For game play or online performance I cant comment because I haven't played enough due to wading though seemingly endless numbers of simulations.

Also for reorganizing the qualifying groups there is only a random group option which means you could have a group of all the micro states in he same group or you have to make the changes manually, there is no longer an option to shuffle your groups while maintaining the teams seeds.
on September 8, 2014
Every four years I buy the World Cup edition of FIFA (first one being in 2002), I also purchased two editions of FIFA during that time. World Cup Brazil is by far one of the best in graphics, game play, physics engines, and more. The corner kicks are more realistic to control (power, aim, player setup), through ball graphics are not lagging like in previous versions, and the graphics are very realistic. We have a tournament every World Cup with anywhere from 10-30 people (each person can play on a team individually or in a pair). This year everyone agreed the graphics worked better, and on a TV of 120 fps it didn't look diminished as previous versions did. The only issue was with penalty kicks, something in the kick engine causes the player to stutter (I feel this is more so an issue with all of us as players, not the game). The game also seems better in response to teams with more than one human player. One thing I like is if both players on the team press to change players (aiming to get closest to the ball), the first pressed gets the closest player, and the other person gets the next closest. In previous versions, sometimes the game wouldn't let the second person switch until the ball landed. In addition, the game is harder to play on higher difficulties than previous versions. It is a great game, and worth playing.
on May 12, 2014
I'm disagree with the bad rewiews of this item because to me It's amazing! Some modes are classic of this game like road to fifa world cup. I love it because It's difficult and It brings a exciting experience of living all the qualifying round woth your country.. The menus are very creative and the scenes with the people arround is a good innovation.I agree with that some scenes could not skip for merit to the developers of this game. And the physics of the ball is great.

Thank you..
on October 12, 2014
This is a great addition to the FIFA series. While it claims to feature 100 new animations, the main changes are in the over-the-back headers and the cutscenes. Over-the-back headers are when you push off a defender while jumping up the get higher than that defender to head the ball. The new cutscenes are very cool. When a goal is scored, the camera cuts to either the coach celebrating (or the other team's coach showing disappointment), a group of fans in the stadium, or fans celebrating around a public tv broadcast in the home country (The coach and home country cuts only happen with major teams like Brazil, Argentina, and Germany. The feel of this game is much like that of FIFA 14, and FIFA 14 on Xbox One (and presumably PS4) includes a stripped-down version of this game. The coolest thing about this game for Xbox 360 is that it recognizes the XP you have from previous games, so your tokens and XP level transfer over. The gameplay is more realistic than FIFA 13 in that pass commands and shots take a little bit more reaction time to execute well. My favorite thing about this game is that it includes corner commands (run to the edge of the box, left/right post, crowd the keeper) and goalie taunts, both of which have been removed in FIFA 14 to the best of my knowledge. There is a ton of content in this game, including almost every national soccer team in the world. There are also a number of alternate jerseys to unlock.

If I were to choose from one of the FIFA games that has come out in the past 2 or 3 years, this would be it.
on August 29, 2014
Great game. Good graphics and good play. The "become a captain" mode, its great and produces challenges since it takes you back a couple of years to qualify for the cup and position.

Con: Not updated to actual roster that was used during the World Cup. I understand that last minute changes were made, but come on!!!
on November 15, 2014
I love Amazon. Great prices, excellent return policy, and they stand behind everything sold on their site. I do a lot of my Christmas shopping on Amazon (we boycott merchants who beg for a share of our Christmas shopping dollars, but refuse to use the word "Christmas" in their ads. No one buys "holiday gifts", they buy CHRISTMAS gifts).
on April 11, 2016
Great game, has tons of international reams, including teams as low rated as Guatemala, tons of variety. Good layout for the game and quality game mechanics, and fun soundtrack. The game itself came just fine without any problems and in good shape.
on July 10, 2014
This is an okay game. After getting it, I immediately went to the Road to the World Cup (qualifying) mode. The first thing I noticed was that the gameplay was barely improved from the 2010 version (I had recently played it in anticipation for this one). Better, but not significantly. However, the graphics are noticeably better. In that moment, I would have given this 4 or 5 stars. Hours of gameplay later, I got to the final squad selector, where you choose your final squad. At this point I saved in case I want to play again later with a different squad. The first thing I noticed was that selector was ridiculously confusing, especially without a game manual. After 10 minutes of trying to figure it out, I finally was able to get a squad that I was okay with, although not necessarily happy with. So I advance to the final tournament. Now I have to set my lineup for the first match, but wait, where are the players I grudgingly accepted? Somehow, they got replaced by other completely random players. The starting 11 I had used through qualifying was there but my bench was different. Great! I've invested hours into qualifying and training to increase the form of players I planned on taking to the World Cup, many of whom I was unable to select in the final 23 selector. Now, all but 11 were gone. In the moment, I was mildly upset. Then I remembered I had saved before the selector. I'll just go back and fix it and maybe this time I can get my squad I wanted originally! Nope! 5 tries later and I'm still not able to pick the squad I truly want and I'm getting random players on the bench. At this point, I'm so disappointed that I decide to contact ea support to see if I'm missing anything. I go onto ea's website and sign in with my ea (origin) account. I fill out every form and go to submit my question and problem and I have to sign in again. However, after multiple attempts, I am unable to sign in. I opened a new tab and was able to sign in there. I can't contact customer support for this games critical problems. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME IF YOU ARE BIG INTO THE QUALIFYING MODE or want to choose a different squad than the true one.