2014 FIFA World Cup is a difficult game to properly assess. It offers up a compelling experience, something the every-four-years edition has become known for, but one that will feel notably old-gen to those who played FIFA 14 on Xbox One or PlayStation 4.

Published 5 months ago by pastapadre

3.0 out of 5 stars Its like Fifa 14, but without all the features
Published 4 months ago by Mike Ufford

4.0 out of 5 stars Stands solid on its own, but disappointing for those who moved on to XB1/PS4 FIFA, May 10, 2014
This review is from: EA Sports 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil - Xbox 360 (Video Game)

I’ve long been vocal in my appreciation of 2010 FIFA World Cup which was one of my favorite games of the last generation and up there for many others as evidenced by its strong run in the “Best of” tournament late last year. It offered accessibility – acting as a bridge to the yearly FIFA series – and the ability to be a part of a shared worldwide event involving every nation (all of which were licensed). Presentation and atmosphere were outstanding and among the modes included was what would later become known as the popular “Online Seasons”.

Anticipation was high for what many expected to be a launch on the Xbox One and PS4 (even EA Sports initially stated it would be out for those consoles). Unfortunately that wouldn’t come to fruition and EA released it only on the Xbox 360 and PS3. Hype was significantly dampened but the product being offered remained strong.

There’s an unavoidable conflict in trying to evaluate the merits of 2014 FIFA World Cup. Once again the presentation and atmosphere are excellent and unique, and the modes deliver sufficient content. There’s no avoiding comparisons to late last year’s FIFA 14 however on XB1/PS4. In that regard, technical limitations are obvious, and gameplay takes a step back returning numerous frustrations that had been addressed.

The depth of content is certainly there. The modes are well executed and compelling. Whether it’s playing through the entire qualifying process, only the World Cup tournament, Captain Your Country (essentially a version of Be a Pro), or the Story of Qualifying/Finals which brings in scenarios to play through based on the real happenings – offline there is plenty to do. There is no Ultimate Team here but World Cup content will be coming to FIFA 14′s UT later this spring. Online once again features a spin on the Online Seasons with Road to Rio De Janeiro and a World Cup tournament.

Gameplay is fast, and turning it down may be one of the first things that should be done with the game, but it’s also part of the charm. World Cup isn’t attempting to be as faithful to simulation as the yearly FIFA franchise. It’s higher paced leading to more opportunities to score. That doesn’t mean scores get out of hand but novices will feel like they have a better chance at least to get on the board and have some level of success – and have fun doing it.

Still, falling back onto the old consoles has only magnified the advancements seen in FIFA 14. Though FIFA 14 on XB1/PS4 was not perceived as a huge jump in graphics it certainly appears more dramatic having gone from that one to World Cup. Aspects such as framerate suffer as well. Gameplay is hampered by long-running issues like a lack of aggressiveness to the ball by AI controlled teammates. They’ll just stand there and let opposing players capture possession. That’s an area improved upon significantly with the game on the new systems.

The presentation is great, and the atmosphere and audio once again wrap you up in the moment in a way most other sports games can not. Touches like the cuts to the fans in their home countries and the crowd reaction shots in cut scenes (or simply seeing them in the background) has quite the impact. The new talk radio may not get super specific but it’s a fantastic listen during time spent in the menus and contributes to the narrative as the modes progress.

Online play has been nothing short of perfect. In no match has any lag been experienced even when playing opponents in countries half way around the world. Unfortunately this World Cup game favors the ultra-aggressive. Opponents give no room to breathe and it’s difficult if not even possible to make them pay for it consistently. As soon as your player receives the ball he gets molested and it’s difficult to keep possession because of it with far too few fouls called.

The value is definitely there for 2014 FIFA World Cup – particularly for those who have not moved on to the new systems or haven’t played the FIFA series recently – however its a tough sell for everyone else. There’s no way to avoid that sense of disappointment for anyone going backwards to play it but for those that can get past that there’s a great game to enjoy. It’s just especially unfortunate that the new generation will be waiting another four years that same experience.

3.0 out of 5 stars Its like Fifa 14, but without all the features, June 4, 2014
The Good: EA really outdid themselves by getting the gentlemen from Men In Blazers to record a commentary track. If you're a GFOP ("Good Friend of the Pod") the game is worth it for that reason alone. Beyond that, EA focused on the players likely to get called up, so for once the team actually looks like their real-life counterparts. They also did a great job of capturing the 'feel' of the World Cup compared to Fifa14 by adding more cut-aways to the crowds, segments of the national anthems, more team-specific commentary, scenarios that pay tribute to actual events from qualifying etc.

The Bad: EA has done a terrible job of providing updates. As a devout USA fan, its utterly inexcusable that guys who made the final 23 like DeAndre Yedlin aren't even available in the selectable pool while we're just SEVEN days out from the damn competition. If you're going to spend $60 on a FIFA game, get FIFA 14 because the features are far more expansive and replay value for career mode is far higher.

Verdict: If you're a GFOP, Find a cheaper used copy from an American Outlaw who got so pissed off at EA for not updating it that they turned it in. If you're not a GFOP but you like soccer, pick up a copy anyways, overcome the game's deep flaws for the hardcore fan, and become a GFOP as a way of coping with the pain of spending $50 on a used copy when you could have bought Fifa14 instead.

2.0 out of 5 stars For those of you who just want to play the single player qualifying campaign READ THIS!!!, April 24, 2014
I'm not a FIFA Junkie and generally only buy soccer games when the World Cup comes around because I am bigger fan of the international play than the league play, hence I have bought the World Cup version every time it has been released since 2002. Obviously the big draw for me is playing a team through the qualification process and seeing how far I can go in the Cup Unfortunately EA sports has butchered this mode which should have been the bread and butter of this game. The campaign mode always starts in 2010 so even if you are playing a country from Europe, who's qualifying games don't start until 2012, you will need to watch the game sim through every month of 2010, 2011 and half of 2012. This takes a long time as there are a ton of friendlies and training sessions that will make the simulator stop even if you tell it to proceed to the first qualifying game. This means just getting to the first important match will take you 10-15 minutes of B.S. You will have about 6-8 friendlies during the years before the tourney starts. You can sim over them but if your team loses those games they get into bad form (this will happen if you play as a mid range or weaker team i.e. USA, Greece, Bosnia, or worse) which means by time you get to the actual qualifying your teams ability will be diminished due to these losses. Also, once you reach qualifying you have a bunch for friendless left to play in between matches.

To sum it up EA Sports took a 10 game qualifying campaign (euro) and made it into a 20 game process (10 of which are friendlies which only affect your teams form making them not worth the time playing but annoying if you lose the simulated match because it makes your team worse) and added 10-12 training sessions which again can be simulated over but they still slow down working your way through the calendar. Why they didn't put in a option to skip all this extra fluff that very few people will like I don't know.

If your looking to play the single player campaign mode I don't think its worth the 60 bucks. Keep your money and wait until this things price drops after the tourney. the format in 2010 was way better and will bring you more joy even if the rosters are outdated. For game play or online performance I cant comment because I haven't played enough due to wading though seemingly endless numbers of simulations.

Also for reorganizing the qualifying groups there is only a random group option which means you could have a group of all the micro states in he same group or you have to make the changes manually, there is no longer an option to shuffle your groups while maintaining the teams seeds.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this game.. more than I've expected, May 12, 2014
I'm disagree with the bad rewiews of this item because to me It's amazing! Some modes are classic of this game like road to fifa world cup. I love it because It's difficult and It brings a exciting experience of living all the qualifying round woth your country.. The menus are very creative and the scenes with the people arround is a good innovation.I agree with that some scenes could not skip for merit to the developers of this game. And the physics of the ball is great.

Thank you..

2.0 out of 5 stars OKAY GAMEPLAY WITH LARGE FLAWS IN MODES AND NO CUSTOMER SUPPORT, July 10, 2014
This is an okay game. After getting it, I immediately went to the Road to the World Cup (qualifying) mode. The first thing I noticed was that the gameplay was barely improved from the 2010 version (I had recently played it in anticipation for this one). Better, but not significantly. However, the graphics are noticeably better. In that moment, I would have given this 4 or 5 stars. Hours of gameplay later, I got to the final squad selector, where you choose your final squad. At this point I saved in case I want to play again later with a different squad. The first thing I noticed was that selector was ridiculously confusing, especially without a game manual. After 10 minutes of trying to figure it out, I finally was able to get a squad that I was okay with, although not necessarily happy with. So I advance to the final tournament. Now I have to set my lineup for the first match, but wait, where are the players I grudgingly accepted? Somehow, they got replaced by other completely random players. The starting 11 I had used through qualifying was there but my bench was different. Great! I've invested hours into qualifying and training to increase the form of players I planned on taking to the World Cup, many of whom I was unable to select in the final 23 selector. Now, all but 11 were gone. In the moment, I was mildly upset. Then I remembered I had saved before the selector. I'll just go back and fix it and maybe this time I can get my squad I wanted originally! Nope! 5 tries later and I'm still not able to pick the squad I truly want and I'm getting random players on the bench. At this point, I'm so disappointed that I decide to contact ea support to see if I'm missing anything. I go onto ea's website and sign in with my ea (origin) account. I fill out every form and go to submit my question and problem and I have to sign in again. However, after multiple attempts, I am unable to sign in. I opened a new tab and was able to sign in there. I can't contact customer support for this games critical problems. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME IF YOU ARE BIG INTO THE QUALIFYING MODE or want to choose a different squad than the true one.

2.0 out of 5 stars FIFA World Cup 2010 - All over again., April 16, 2014
I am a big World Cup fan. The thrill of your country or any other country I'm rooting for, seeing them play is just awesome.
So here this game came out yesterday and it feels like I'm playing the same game that I played in 2010. Now this can be good and bad. To me it left a bad taste in my mouth.
World Cup 2010 was an awesome game at the time. Everything was pretty much perfect.
Hearing about World Cup 2014 as how it was going to be made to the limits of xbox 360, made me excited again to get this game.
After playing this version though, it looks like they reached the xbox 360 limits in 2010. The game does not bring anything significant to the table to make it worth getting.
Now if you have never played any previous World Cup games or skipped the 2010, I think this will be the game for you, as you will get to learn how to play the game with mini skill challenges that the game offers, which is kind of nice.

So let me put this in a pro and cons list.

Pro:
-Up to date team members of each national team.
-Great same gameplay as 2010
-Has mini games(skill challenges/training). Great for beginners and skilled alike.
-Now you can listen to commentaries from 2 radio world cup shows, or play EA sound track instead during training or while at the menu list before your next match. (Kind of cool.)

Cons:
-While FIFA 14 was available on all platforms, this one is not. (Xbox One version would have been great and should have been made)
-Graphics are the same and possibly (not noticeable) slightly worse than 2010 version.
-Road to Rio, does not work as the servers seem to be screwed up.
-Servers seem to not be able to connect to players on launch day. (You don't always get what you pay for)
-Commentaries have pretty much not changed at all during game. Just a huge disappointing port of voices over from 2010. (I thought this was a new game that hopefully was worked on for 4 years... looks like not at all.)
-EA
-Fun facts on each country or any other info are completely gone.
-Common weird glitches with players colliding and flying like balls themselves.

More thoughts:

The biggest disappointment is that they were so lazy and probably late on the game that they did an eh job so they didn't make this game available for Xbox One or PS4.
That alone, right there is not worth the $60 for an older console.
If this were like $40 at launch it would have actually be more appealing.
I say wait till World Cup starts, you'll be able to pick up a pre-owned copy of it for $40 or less.
EA just continues it's fails with inability to release new games.
From what I heard this happened before with another FIFA title.
I think it was the FIFA13 that looked and worked exactly the same as FIFA12, just had a different number on the title.

Now I don't want to focus on EA as a company, but to keep this as a game review.
This game should have been more and could have been, but this one does not deserve the price tag or the 5 stars.
You might as well go play FIFA WC 2010, the servers don't work in either one.
UPDATE(4/19/14):
After playing for quite sometime now, here are a few more things I'd like to update on.
I did a little image comparison between the FIFA WC2010 and FIFA WC2014.
- This version does have a slight improvement in graphics, but it is minimal.
- Every single game I play, I get at least 2-3 offsides each match. This is ridiculous and makes gaming extremely stupid. The offsides is too sensitive and also the players tend to do it a lot.
- In order to auto progress during qualifying (like skipping training and friendly matches), you have to press A at the current match, then press the right thumb stick, then you have a choice of advancing one match or going till the next match that you actually get to play in. This is annoying as after you finish your match it takes you to the regular calendar from where you can only view upcoming matches and just select advance. If they could just give us the ability to do all the autoplay and skipping on one calendar, playing the qualifying would have been so much more fun.

If you have any questions, let me know and I'll try to answer to the best of my abilities.

2.0 out of 5 stars Waste of Money, April 17, 2014
The game is exactly as FIFA14 except the players are in International Uniform.

Captain your country - exactly like Pro.
Road to Rio de Janeiro - Seasons head to head match. (crosses are broken, by the time you switch players the opponent has already got the ball, the goalkeeper kick is broken)
Story of Qualifying - EAS FC Highlights.
etc...
Tracks - awful

If you are a big fan of FIFA 14, you'll find this repetitive and boring. I was hoping of something new and creative instead EA Sports did nothing and probably this is the reason they didn't release it on XB1 and PS4. What a waste of money, I wish I had bought some other game.

P.S. Also, please see the comments section down below. I've included some of the ins that I missed out here.

4.0 out of 5 stars Get ready for the Championship., August 29, 2014
Great game. Good graphics and good play. The "become a captain" mode, its great and produces challenges since it takes you back a couple of years to qualify for the cup and position.

Con: Not updated to actual roster that was used during the World Cup. I understand that last minute changes were made, but come on!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A step in the right direction., May 5, 2014
I'll start off by saying the gameplay is better than FIFA 14. They toned down the accuracy of long balls and made defending crosses reasonable. No more launching accurate long balls from center backs. Thank god.

Having said that, its the World Cup game so is it worth $60? Not really. If you can get it for $40 or so before the World Cup I say go for it. Online World Cup is really fun and its really cool to have all the teams accurately represented. I checked San Marino's roster based on their most recent game. Its accurate.

All in all this is a good game. A lack of modes keeps it from being 5 stars. Hopefully this is the direction they are headed with FIFA 15.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool edition of the game, July 29, 2014
My little brother's copy of FIFA got destroyed by the Xbox somehow, we were watching the world cup and I thought it would be fun to have our own interactive version going on at the same time, it's funny all of the little differences they added for the world cup edition, like angry super fans, etc. Good old FIFA is always fun.

EA Sports 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil - Xbox 360