5.0 out of 5 stars A good generator
Published on February 16, 2011 by Jim T

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor customer service from buffalo tools
I use generators often. I was interested in this because LP is much more convenient.

Published on August 15, 2011 by t larson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A good generator, February 16, 2011
Jim T "Jim" (Sacramento, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sportsman GEN2000LP 2,000 Watt 2.8 HP OVH Propane Powered Portable Generator (Lawn & Patio)
I needed a generator to run my electric yard tools at a remote site. After lots of research I settled on this one, and I'm glad I did. It's simple, clean, and provides enough power to run a 12 amp mover, a 14 amp chain saw, and all my other yard tools. It has one AC outlet, which is enough for my simple needs. (I run only one high-amp tool at a time.) It also has one DC outlet. Since I use the generator infrequently, I wanted one that requires little maintenance. I opted for the propane engine. Another good (lucky) choice. It's also pretty quiet, and light enough to easily move around.
As for the product description, it could be better. For example, it states that it's a 2000 watt machine. At surge power it is. It's running wattage is 1350, and that information is missing from the description. It would also be good if the description listed its peak Amp output. Although, that's pretty easy to calculate when you know the watts.

I had no previous experience with LPG or generators, and the instructions were less complete than I would have liked. It's a very simple machine, so I was able to reason it out.

5.0 out of 5 stars great buy, October 28, 2011
I love this thing starts on 2 pull every time I baught this generator because I live in a motorhome year round in newengland and in the winter within an hour with no heat pipes will freeze and my are is prone to 2 to 3 day outages it has enough power to run heat tv fridge and lights. I Would recommend this product

5.0 out of 5 stars Light Weight Gen Set, March 16, 2012
This is not a 2000 watt generator!! But it will do 1300 watts all day long.Easy to start 3rd or 4th pull.Quiet light weight compact.Runs 14 hours on a tank of propane.For the price you can't go wrong.I have used it 3 times so far without a problem.Free shipping. What I liked the most about ths generator was the NO GASOLINE ODOR after hauling in my van going back home.Very well built!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor customer service from buffalo tools, August 15, 2011

I found that that the unit did not produce the claimed 2000 peak 1300 watt continuous rating. In fact it could not power the tools my 1000 watt Honda can. I called their tech support people and found them completely untrained and unfamiliar with the product. I was told to adjust the carburetor even though the carburetor has no adjustments. They admitted that his was a new product and they are not familiar with it. The technical people handle everything from hand tools to spray guns. They are not engine /generator experts, not even close. Buy this from someone who can service it. Do not count on the Buffalo tool for service. The Honda is much quieter and has more output but costs much more. In this case you get what you pay for. Buffalo should not be allowed to claim that their unit puts out 2000 watts.

1.0 out of 5 stars Save you money and time., August 21, 2013
I did a video repose but could not fit all the problems I had with this generator with only 100MB. I posted it on You Tube. "Sportsman GEN2000LP Review" I checked Surge, Power, and Wave Shape. It failed in every test. Surge current was less than 1000 Watts after the Sportsmen warmed up. I could not even run a 600 Watt. Air Conditioner or a 950 Watt microwave with it. The sine wave was completely distorted and would ruin a electric motor if run for any length of time. The voltage regulation was awful and had to adjust the voltage constantly. I tried to returned it to Amazon but they did not want it back but refunded my money. Thank you Amazon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Genny for Battery Charging, November 2, 2012
I was looking for a small propane generator as a backup to charge my off-grid energy system if the wind and solar resources were insufficient. At a price that can't be beat, this one was worth a try.

There's no setup out of the box other than filling it with oil and connecting it to your propane tank. I opted to connect mine to my 100 gallon house tank rather than use the 20 lb regulator that comes with it. I also bolted it down to a table in my shed for security and so that it wouldn't dance off due to vibrations.

It consistently starts on the 2nd or 3rd pull, and pulling is very easy. It starts at any temperature, as I've tried it in the dead of winter and the heat of summer.

I'm not sure how clean the power is to directly power AC equipment, as the only thing I've plugged in directly other than my battery charger is some lighting and a ceramic heater. Those did fine. But mostly it's used to power my IOTA 40A 24VDC power supply / battery charger. This charger puts about 960W of power into charging my 1100 Ah battery bank. The few times I've needed to do this, I've only needed to run the genny for about 30-60 minutes to keep the batteries out of the danger zone and allow us to wash dishes and take showers without dropping the battery voltage dangerously low when the well pump kicks on. The IOTA charger handles the power from the Sportsman just fine and delivers clean DC output. In an hour of use, I can't even notice a change in how much propane I have in my tank it moves the needle so little.

If you buy this unit and find that it puts out power that's too dirty for your tools or electronics, you might want to try picking up one of these IOTA power supplies and connecting a 2000W true sine-wave inverter to it. That will give you very clean power at the cost of a few hundred bucks more. Can you get a better generator for that price? Maybe. But personally, I'd prefer to have the separate components so that if any one of them fails, you don't have to replace the whole lot of them.

I've had this genny for almost two years now, and it has performed perfectly for the role I intended for it. Unlike with gasoline or diesel units, there are no spills whatsoever, the fuel does not gum up when left sitting for extended periods, and it starts right up in cold weather. That spells reliability. It also sips fuel while providing the needed on-demand power for my equipment. I can't attest that this will be the best unit for all possible uses, but it works great for me. I would also hazard to predict that it will work fine for any emergency situations that you need to directly power lights, small appliances, personal heaters, etc. The 10A DC outlet is probably suitable for phone chargers and laptops too, though I have not used it myself.

UPDATE: Another year later, and this genny has had a bit of a breakdown. The engine still runs great, but the plastic fan bits broke, causing it to overheat. I'm able to run it still by plugging in a table-top fan and blowing it over the engine to keep it cool. I can thus charge my batteries for 15-20 minutes or so before I shut it down for fear of overheating. I'll probably replace it with a similar unit again. For the price, replacing it after three years isn't such a big deal. But if I can find one with all-metal components, that would be preferable. I've degraded my rating from 5 stars to 4 stars because of the plastic components.

1.0 out of 5 stars What is this?, October 19, 2012
Sadly lacking in actual power, does not even meet specs. I bought 3 of these things in the course of trying to get what I needed and all of them arrived either broken or heavily corroded. Instead of a refund or replacement, I was instead sent a piece that was broken on two of them (the legs just behind the green face plate in the picks), which I am not qualified to repair and would be forced to void the warranty if I fix it myself. It came with no maintenance or care instructions for break in or warm up process (included with all other generators I have ever purchased).

After consulting several licensed mechanics (required for most generator maintenance)was informed that the failures were most likely caused by the poor quality metal alloy used in the fabrication, and was directed to several splotches on the broken parts and told it was carbon inconsistencies.

1.0 out of 5 stars low power output, July 21, 2013
The power output is not what they advertise, it will drop below 100 volts at only 400 watts, this is a piece of junk, and a good way to burn up your appliances.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome little generator, December 31, 2012
I don't know much about generators but this little guy was very useful during the aftermath of Sandy. It uses propane and consumes very little propane for what it does.

5.0 out of 5 stars NICE LITTLE GENERATOR, June 29, 2011
PERFECT FOR CAMPING, NOT TO BIG NOT TO SMALL!!! NO GASOLINE FUMES!!! 5 STARS I RECOMEND HIGHLY
HAVE USED QUITE A BIT AND NO PROBLEMS!!!!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›