Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation

on June 9, 2012
The plot of this novel is preposterous. I will say that I read the entire novel just to see how the author would manage to pull everything together--it was rather like watching an accident happen. The reasons why the hero Joel/Joseph goes into hiding are rather ridiculous, and his family dynamics are unbelievable in any era.

The grammar and editing for this novel need improvement. There were instances over and over again of possessive nouns and pronouns being used rather than plural nouns and pronouns. When I encountered the first one, I gave the author the benefit of the doubt, but then I discovered that they were scattered throughout.

I downloaded this book for free. I would not recommend paying for it.
on May 29, 2012
If you are seeking a Historical romance, with a tiny bit of dark (just a little), then this is the story for you. The characters were great. I loved the small "reveals" that were perfectly placed throughout the book. The story moved at just the right pace and it kept me reading on and wanting to find out more. My heart went out to Adella! Definately Recommend!
on July 26, 2012
I just couldn't keep reading this book. The grammar, syntax, and punctuation problems were too distracting. I can't even talk about plot lines--I honestly could not focus on the story because of the clear lack of editing. I get that being an editor makes me very sensitive to grammar problems, but when I keep wanting to reach for a virtual red pen, it's hard to think about anything else.
on February 2, 2012
I loved reading this book. The characters were true to the time period in which it was written. The author made sure that she was telling the story with the social mores that were in place in the 1800s. Dialog was true to character and you found yourself hoping for a great ending. Your hopes will be fulfilled, interesting storyline, great character development, and all told in a historically correct way.

There are some typos and grammar errors, but not so many that it detracts from the story.

Great storytelling.
on June 2, 2012
Dawlish spins an interesting tale with strong characters...it dragged a bit in spots, but it commanded my attention to the end. The Kindle version needs a good edit, though. It had quite a few grammatical and punctuation errors, wrong word usage (e.g, wondered for wandered), and places where words had clearly been inadvertently omitted. It was a free Amazon download, though, so I can't complain too much.

I based the rating on the story's merits alone...not the sloppy editing.
on June 18, 2012
I had a trial Prime membership, and was able to check out two books in the one month period. Although this was free, even at that, it wasn't worth it. Grammatical errors abound, starting with a glaring one on the first page - incorrect usage of "it's" instead of "its." As this was published was only an e-book, these mistakes can't be blamed on the transfer from print to Kindle format. Let's see, what else: trite, boring, odd usage of modern language for a historical novel, points made over and over and over and over and over again (OK, she was anxious when she first saw him - we get it). I am honestly astounded at the positive reviews. I had to bail out at about 50%, because life's too short to waste on reading something like this. Check out a free classic for your Kindle instead.
on June 18, 2012
I couldn't even get past the first page, that's how badly this "book" needs to be edited. Do these authors not have friends or family read over their work?
on June 26, 2012
Sprig of Thyme had an unusual plot and some interesting twists in the story that I certainly enjoyed reading. I thought that the way that Joel was forced to betray Adella was very clever since I couldn't figure out how it could come about before I read it. The imagery was very well done and the dialogue was authentic for the time period. I found most of the characters to be very likable and I did care what happened to them.

There was one glaring error and that was how Joel's daughter, Sarah, addressed adults by their first names. Joel's best friend, Frederick, would have been referred to as Uncle Frederick and when Adella was introduced, she would have been called Miss Adella or even Miss Maxwell. In addition, the book was filled with grammatical and editorial mistakes that often interrupted the flow of the story.

Altogether, I thought Sprig of Thyme was a good love story and if you can ignore the mistakes then I definitely recommend it.
on October 8, 2011
I am a big fan of Georgette Heyer. I love the clean witty historical romances. Honestly, I had never heard of this author, but was listed in my goodreads group. I cannot tell you how surprised and delighted I was by this book, I could not put the book down. The heroine made the book for me. The characters were believable and endearing. I quickly snapped up her other book Love Engineered and loved it too. I really hope this author puts out more. The plot of this book jumps right in. You will not be bored or waiting for the story to move along.
on June 1, 2012
Sprig of Thyme by Jenna Dawlish is an enjoyable read. I did find that it was very frustrating all of the challenges the hero and heroine had to go through. It seemed never ending.

Joel and Adella meet in humble circumstances while she is a governess and he is a tutor. It turns out that he is more than he is admitting though. Life throws them a curve and Adella is left with a broken heart.

We move forward five years and they have both moved on to a degree. He has gotten married to someone else still loving Adella. As you find out, it is complicated. She is helping her brother who is a doctor and has suppressed her anger and feelings of betrayal over the situation that separated them.

They meet in Bath and life changes for both of them. He has come to Bath because his wife is dying and he knows that Adella is there. He is hoping to clear the air when his wife passes. Sadly, things are not as simple as we would like them to be and they seem to be thwarted again. Thankfully, they prevail and get their happily ever after.

This is an excellent grab for free, but it also would have been worth paying something for also.