5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, if maintained...
Published on October 31, 2009 by J. Houser

2.0 out of 5 stars Works OK (for a while), but you could do better
What you get is two McCormick's spice jars (exact same jars as used for spices) and two packets of bait. Add water and they will attract fruit flies, for about two weeks, when the bait will grow a thick, spongy greenish-white fungus.

Published on November 7, 2009 by David C. Filmer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Works OK (for a while), but you could do better, November 7, 2009
This review is from: Springstar S415 Kitchen Fruit Fly Trap (Lawn & Patio)

There is no poison involved - the fruit flies enter the spice jar through the holes, being attracted by the scent of the bait, but once they enter they are not smart enough to figure out how to get out, and eventually drown.

About a week after I bought these traps, I used some apple cider vinegar and set the bottle aside. I noticed that many fruit flies were attracted to the bottle, where some vinegar had dribbled. The vinegar bottle was only a few inches away from the spice-bottle traps, so apple cider vinegar must be very appealing to fruit flies, as many flies ignored the trap and were attracted to the vinegar bottle instead.

So I made my own simple and inexpensive trap by taking a small jar, punching a few holes in the top (about the diameter of a pencil) and adding apple cider vinegar. It works GREAT (as good as the commercial trap), and the vinegar does not spoil or grow fungus, so it lasts a LONG time. And, the acid of the vinegar will actually dissolve the fruit flies (after about 12 hours), so it doesn't make this nasty mess.

I give two stars (instead of one) because it works as described, but I would not recommend it to anyone.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, July 23, 2006
This review is from: Springstar S415 Kitchen Fruit Fly Trap (Lawn & Patio)
Was hoping this fruit fly trap was a cheaper alternative to the much more expensive trap sold by Gardener's Supply Company. Cheaper is all I got...requires you to add water. Yes, the trap worked for a couple (3) weeks, but the trap itself started smell'n funky, so in the trash it went. Stink is not a problem with the more expensive "dry" type, lasts for 1 month, but mine worked for 2 months or more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, if maintained..., October 31, 2009
This review is from: Springstar S415 Kitchen Fruit Fly Trap (Lawn & Patio)
These will catch a lot of flies if you tweak them every so often. The problem is that the awful smelling powder likes to settle and leave you with a very lightly scented trap (which means the flies are not as interested in it). I've found that if I swirl the liquid around in mine every so often, they are a lot more effective. This also prevents a really gross skin from forming on the surface of the liquid making them essentially useless. I had to take the tops off of mine because again they prevented the smell from getting out and attracting the flies. Not that my condo now smells like a dumpster mind you -- you can only really smell it if you stick your nose close to the trap. The flies however can smell it just fine. I believe with swirling the liquid to prevent the aforementioned skin, I can get around 1-2 weeks on one bag of lure. (I've been refilling mine with the lures that are also sold on Amazon.)

Pros:
* catches a lot of flies
* competitively priced to similar type lures
* works way better than the banana in a glass, vinegar in a glass, and all the other stupid home remedies I tried first
* the cats don't have any interest in playing with, or drinking from the traps
* my scented dish soap didn't seem to detract from the smell of the lure

Cons:
* the smell is awful when you are first filling the traps
* the included top does not allow the smell to get out, and it also makes it confusing for the flies trying to get in
* requires maintainance if you want good results and a decently long life for your trap

SpringStar - Fruit Fly Lures

Update:

I recently gave apple cider vinegar a shot again after the review pointing out all of its positive attributes. I tried it side-by-side with the standard lure in two different ways: using apple cider vinegar instead of water with the SpringStar lure mixed in, and apple cider vinegar by itself. In both trials I stuck the apple cider vinegar beneath a nightlight so its glow would give the vinegar a better chance at attracting flies. Here's a comparison of my results...

Lure w/ water vs lure w/ vinegar: Both attracted about the same number of flies. I noticed however that most of the ones that ended up in the lure/water mix were adults whereas the lure/vinegar mix seemed to be mostly young flies. As the other review stated, the vinegar keeps the trap from going bad. I still had to swirl it when the powder settled, however. I did not see it dissolving flies as the other review had mentioned. Both caught about the same amount and ended with about the same amount, although the lure/water trap was worse for wear by the end of the week (skin trying to form and more evaporation).

Lure w/ water vs vinegar: The lure/water mix caught about 5 times the amount the plain vinegar trap did. So if I got say 20 flies in the lure/water trap, I only got 4 during the same period in the vinegar one. The odd thing is that the vinegar trap seemed to be getting a nice mix of younger and older flies this time. (I thought the light might be what attracted the younger ones above.) No skin problems with the vinegar only, and still no dissolved flies after a few weeks of leaving it alone on the counter. I do believe it helps to swirl the vinegar only traps, to get the smell out there, not due to settling issues.

In summary, I saw very dramatic improvement using the lure. The traps themselves, as the other reviewer stated, are spice jars. Nothing exciting there. However as opposed to feverishly using up my cinnamon or nutmeg to free one up, this kit seems to be a pretty decent way to go.

Realistically no traps will work their magic if you don't get rid of the source of the problem. Having six kitties with six litter boxes and the occasional up-chuck of kitty breakfast means I'll probably be forever with flies. I can at least control their numbers with these traps. :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat effective, August 26, 2006
Catjulie (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Springstar S415 Kitchen Fruit Fly Trap (Lawn & Patio)
The product did lure some flies, but far too few. Flypaper worked better.

5.0 out of 5 stars This product works, November 3, 2009
This review is from: Springstar S415 Kitchen Fruit Fly Trap (Lawn & Patio)
I read reviews for all of the fruit fly remover products that I could find before making a choice. I decided to buy 2 products, the Terro 2500 fruit fly trap (http://www.amazon.com/Terro-2500-Fruit-Fly-Trap/dp/B002EJLLEE/) and the SpringStar - Kitchen Fruit Fly Trap (http://www.amazon.com/SpringStar-Kitchen-Fruit-Fly-Trap/dp/B000E3BZQ6/). If I matters, I used Dawn dish washing soap with this product. For whatever reason, this product requires you to add liquid soap.

They arrived today (11/3/09). Being who I am, I put one of each in the kitchen, one on the floor next to the trash can and the other on the window sill. I did put 2 or 3 drops of the Terro 2500 product in the trash can.

Within the first 3 hours of having these products out, a little over half of all of the fruit flies were in one of these jars instead of flying around the kitchen. I don't have anything to compare it to, but I think I had more fruit flies then prior people that posted, but I could be wrong. I checked back about 4 hours later and the majority of the remaining fruit flies were in the jars also. Yippee! Both of these products worked for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the Job, July 1, 2009
Tinkster "Bell" (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Springstar S415 Kitchen Fruit Fly Trap (Lawn & Patio)
This product does it's job very well. I did not give it 5 stars because it does not last as long as I would like it to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great!, July 15, 2009
This review is from: Springstar S415 Kitchen Fruit Fly Trap (Lawn & Patio)
Within a few days all the fruitflies were gone and they haven't come back. No complaints!

4.0 out of 5 stars Takes a while but works well, August 9, 2010
Nate (Indiana, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Springstar S415 Kitchen Fruit Fly Trap (Lawn & Patio)
This took a few days to get going, but it worked well. It's only intended to work for a 3-4 weeks, but after a few days you could see them clouding around the trap, and by the first week my flies all ended up in the jar.

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't Work at All....Save Your Money, January 5, 2010
This review is from: Springstar S415 Kitchen Fruit Fly Trap (Lawn & Patio)
Didn't work at all. We ended up using plain old fly paper with much better results. Very disappointing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work at all, November 7, 2009
James Ward (Denver, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Springstar S415 Kitchen Fruit Fly Trap (Lawn & Patio)
This thing didn't work at all. Nothing caught. Fruit flies are still buzzing around my head.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›