Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing DOTD

on July 3, 2014
I write long and informative reviews. If that's not to your liking, or you don't have time for a long review, please read the "IN BRIEF" summary at the beginning. If you want more information, read the full review.

>> IN BRIEF - THE SHORT & SWEET VERSION <<

I've been using Sprite Shower filters for nearly 20 years (since around 1998) and have no issues with them. I avoid showering in chlorinated water without one of these installed. I take mine all over the world for this reason (I am an avid traveller).

I find this product works well. No complaints. What's more, my brother who has eczema finds his skin is 100% better when he uses these filters (I loaned him one and he wouldn't give it back!). His skin clears up when he uses this filter.

I notice my hair is (which is long) is somehow nicer when I don't use chlorinated water (i.e. rain water, spring water, or water filtered by a Sprite). I highly recommend this product.

If you have a hand held shower head (the kind that's on the end of a metallic hose) it is usually fine to install the filter part of this Sprite product where the handle screws onto the hose. The 3 Setting Shower Head won't be needed.

Below is my full review which will interest you if you wish to learn more about these fiters, and surrounding issues with shower water, their usage, etc.

NOTE: This review was originally written for the older style filter (which, oddly, are still for sale on Amazon, yet no long on the Sprite web site). I am posting this review on the newer style models since the actual filter is the same. I am also posting it on the actual Sprite filter cartridges, so everything written here is equally applicable to people interested in those.

>> THE FULL REVIEW AND DETAILED INFORMATION <<

--THE CHLORINE ISSUE--
Chlorine is a known carcinogen. A little research on Google and PubMed makes that obvious. It's also an irritant. If you're checking out this product, you likely already know chlorine is an issue. So I won't get into details here.

It's worth noting it's estimated that about 80% of the chlorine the average person takes in from water is via showing (through the skin, but also through inhalation). So, if you're avoiding chlorine in your drinking water for health reasons you'll like want to use a decent shower filter.
I've been using Sprint shower filters since around 1998 (not the same one!! They last a long time, but not that long!! I wish), and they are excellent.

I am very sensitive to chlorine. My whole life I can't drink chlorinated water. And I refuse to shower in cities with highly chlorinated water (like Auckland, and New York, L.A., etc.) because the bathroom quickly smells like a gas chamber.

This filter does not remove the chlorine, as a drinking water filter does. Rather it binds the chlorine at an ionic level (converting it into a safe chloride salt) and effectively neutralising it.

-- ABOUT KDF & CHLORGON FILTER MEDIA-- (pasted from a website about KDF)

Kinetic Degradation Fluxion (KDF) is a high-purity copper-zinc formulation that uses a basic chemical process known as redox (oxidation/reduction) to remove chlorine, lead, mercury, iron, and hydrogen sulfide from water supplies. The process also has a mild anti-bacterial, algaecitic, and fungicitic, effect and may reduce the accumulation of lime scale. The KDF redox process works by exchanging electrons with contaminants. This "give and take" of electrons converts many contaminants into harmless components. During this reaction, electrons are transferred between molecules, and new compounds are created. Some harmful contaminants are changed into harmless components. Free chlorine, for instance, is changed into benign, water-soluble chloride salt, which is then carried harmlessly through the water supply. Many heavy metals such as copper, lead, mercury and others, react and bond with the KDF medium's surface, thus being effectively removed from the water supply.

KDF process media will reduce or remove chlorine, iron, hydrogen sulfide, lead, mercury, magnesium, and chromium, and may inhibit the growth of bacteria, algae, and fungi. Redox media remove up to 98% of water-soluble cations (positively-charged ions) of lead, mercury, copper, nickel, chromium, and other dissolved metals. While removal rates depend on a number of factors, more than 98% of chlorine is removed by KDF in home water treatment systems (90% in shower water filters due to high flow rate).

With Sprite filters a substance called Chlorgon is also included in the KDF media, to increase the temperature range for effective chlorine removal.

-- THE BENEFITS I NOTICE --
This shower filter from Sprite Industries makes a very noticeable difference to the levels of chlorine (and related toxic gases, such as chloroform) in the bathroom atmosphere. I got my first one 12 years ago when I moved to a town in New Zealand that was having issues with farm animal run-off getting into their water supply. They temporary solution was to greatly increase the level of chlorine treatment in the water. The water smelt so strong just washing my hands was a complete turn-off. I installed one of these filters and the problem was solved. No more toxic chlorine smell when showering.

I travel a lot and I take one of these filters with me every where. I install it where ever I go and need use a shower. It is usually very easy to remove the existing shower-head by hand, and screw this one on. I don't find that plumbing tape is necessary.

My hair is nicer when I use filter water, and needs washing less often.

My skin does not get dry when I use filtered water. Otherwise I tend to get dryness on my shins, elbows, knees, and face. I don't experience this when using this filter for my showers.

My brother has very sensitive skin. He tends to get eczema. His skin easily gets red, thin, broken, and itchy. This problems essentially went away after I gave him one of these shower filters. He couldn't believe he had suffered so much for so many years, and the answer was so cheap and simple. He knows when the filter needs replacing because his skin will start getting irritated from showering. He replaces the cartridge every 18 to 24 months (with three adults using the shower daily).

-- HELPFUL TIPS and TRICKS --
Many modern showers have a hose that goes from the wall to a shower head sitting in an adjustable bracket. (like Handheld Shower, for example)The idea is that you can lift it off the bracket by hand and shower that way. Usually where the hose screws into the fitting on the wall is too close to the wall for a Sprite filter to screw in. What you can do is screw the hand piece off of the other end of the hose and put the filter on between the hose end and the hand-piece. Due to the way the threads go, the filter will be around the opposite way from usual, which is fine as the filter is bi-directional.

NEW TIP (August 2015): If you are using the filter on a shower system like the one just described, you may find the filter makes the shower head and handle too heavy. This can cause it to droop down. It also makes it rather heavy to hold when actually using it as a hand-shower. To avoid this issue you may benefit from buying a short length (12in of less) of flexible 1/2 inch female-to-female hosing, such as this: LASCO 10-0413 1/2-Inch Female Iron Pipe by1/2-Inch Female Iron Pipe by 12-Inch Flex Stainless Steel Braided with Poly Inner Core Water Supply
Attach that small hose to where the shower hose attaches to the threaded fitting on the wall. Then attach the filter. Then attach the shower hose to the filter. What you'll now have is the filter at (or 12 inches from) the wall end of your shower hose. Droopy heavy shower-head issue solved.
- - -

>> Filling the bath (great for children)
Connecting the Sprite filter on your shower hose also comes in handy if the shower is above a bath tub and you wish to have a chlorine-free bath. You can install the filter as described above, but just leave off the shower head (or take it off) when you want to fill the bath. The shower hose can dangle down into the bath and fill it. Children have sensitive skin, and I highly recommend filling their bath this way.

>> Travel Tip: Showering on the road
If you are going to take this filter with you travelling I recommend taking a small adjustable spanner/wrench or vice-grip with you. I've sometimes come across shower heads that I can not remove with my bare hands. Trying to find a wrench in the moment can be next to impossible, or at least a nuisance. One like this one should do the trick: Vice Grip 4WR 4-Inch Curved Jaw Locking Pliers with Wire Cutter or Crescent Adjustable Wrench 4 Inch (I am assuming that'll open wide enough. I personally use a Vice-grip as it well even if the shower fitting nut has a rounded style to it.

-- ALTERNATIVE FILTER OPTIONS --
I've been so happy with the performance of the Sprite filters, that I've never had the inclination to try any other brand or type. I have researched all the major kinds out there, and none convinced me to change. The Sprite was the most cost effective, and gets rated as having excellent results.

In recent months I have since looked at other shower filters on the market. The alternatives which stand out are the Aquasana AQ-4100 Deluxe Shower Water Filter System with Adjustable Showerhead and the Rainshow'r KDF Shower Filter With Massage Shower Head. Both are more expensive than the Sprite, and both can only be purchased with a shower head included (as far as I can tell). These other filters cost a lot more. Just the replacement cartridge for the Aquasana can be $40+. Are they any better? I can't really say, as I have not used anything but the Sprite, but certainly worth looking into.

-- OTHER SPRITE OPTIONS >> NEW AND OLD MODEL
Sprite make a number of shower filters.
The high output (HO) model was recently (in 2011 or 2012 at a guess) updated to have a more attractive streamlined look. That's the one this review you're reading now is linked to. However, the various Sprite products on Amazon seem to switch around from the newer to the older model. It gets a bit confusing. Here is an example of the older style model (according to the picture): Sprite HO-WH-M Universal Shower Filter and 3 Setting Shower Head, White. The newer one is the one you're currently looking at (Here). I

I am not sure why they older style model is still for sale on Amazon. Sprite have not depicted them on their web site for at least a few years (as of 2014).

SUGGESTION >> I suggest buying the newer model, as it looks a lot nicer. The old model (of which I have owned three) looks clunky in comparison. Also, as of today (July 2014) it's cheaper than the old model. ($30 compared to $39)

Sprite also make filters that are built right into a shower head. I assume they have lower water output, because the one I am reviewing (and use) is referred to as High Output. I would say it has lower water output because the filter cartridge is small (it has to fit into a shower head). If you have a modern shower and looks are important to you, you may prefer these newer all-in-one units. Examples are: Sprite ARS5-CM Royale All In One Massage Shower Filter Chrome, and Sprite S1ARS5CT Royale All In One Chlorine Removing Filtered Adjustable Spray Chrome Trim Shower Head, Chrome. Look around on Amazon for the full range.

They also have models that come with a handle, and the filter is built into the handle. Such as: Sprite Royale Deluxe Hand Held Chrome Chlorine Removing Shower Filter. Again, there are a few options, so do a search on Amazon.

Exactly which model of Sprite filter you buy will depend mostly on your existing shower head type. I have only used the Sprite High Output model, and I can highly recommend it.

-- DO YOU NEED THE SHOWER HEAD ALSO? SOMETHING TO CONSIDER --
The product you are looking at comes with a filter PLUS a high efficiency shower head.

The advantage of getting the shower head option (the product you are looking at) is that if you travel you may find where it is useful to have the filter AND the shower head. I find it has better output than many of the shower heads I come across. This is especially noticeable if the water pressure is relatively low, in which case the high efficiency shower head will make it seem like the pressure is MUCH stronger. It's also more environmentally friendly, because you will use less water when showering. Personally, I would get it just for that reason alone, but I am into minimising my impact on our environment and natural resources.

HOWEVER, if you only intend to use this filter in your house AND you already know you want to keep your EXISTING shower head, there is really no foreseeable reason to buy it with a shower head. You can buy it without the shower head here: Sprite HO-WH High Output White Shower Filter, Polished White, Chrome, Gold

STILL NOT SURE? At the time I am writing this, the price difference is minimal (less than $5), so if you think there is ANY chance you might need or want the high efficiency shower head then I'd suggest you go ahead and get it.

--THE CARTRIDGES--
I find that the filter cartridge lasts me much longer than a year because it is just me and my partner using it, and my showers are relatively short and only every second day or so. They can last me for a couple of years before I notice the chlorine smell returning. However, the average household, with average show lengths, you should expect to get around a year from each cartridge.

Replacement cartridges are relatively cheap. Here's an example: Sprite Filter Cartridge Replacement Model HOC For High-Output Filter Heads -- just $13.56 plus free Prime shipping at the time I am writing this.

--WATER PRESSURE?--
In my experience, having used this on MANY showers around the world (I travel with on), this filter does not create any noticeable change in water pressure.

TIP: If the water pressure is very high, it is advisable to actually not put the shower pressure on full. If the pressure is too high you will get decreased performance from this (and any other) shower filter. Set the pressure at a level that is still enjoyable, but not blasting out -- if you wish to maximise the amount of chlorine removal.

--4.5 STARS, A LITTLE ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT--
One way I'd like to see this product improved is for Sprite to provide a convenient way to record on the filter when it was installed, and thus when it "might" need to be replaced. Ever better, would be a small built-in (resettable) flow meter or some way to indicate when it needs to be replaced. I realise, however, such an innovation may increase the price, and may be impractical, although it would also ensure we get maximum usage of the filter, and minimum exposure to chlorine once it needs replacing.

--PATHOGENS, AN ISSUE ?? -- (Added, in response to a question raised in the comments discussion on the review I wrote of this product WITHOUT the shower head)

One person raised concerns (in the comments) about this filter increasing pathogens in the water, based on the inaccurate idea that removing/rendering harmless the chlorine with KDF will result in a built up of pathogens in the shower head. This is a good point to address. Here is the information I shared in my reply:

Even if KDF did nothing to modify pathogen levels in the water, it is not going to directly result in an increase in such pathogens, as you have suggested. But, as it stands, KDF will actually kill most pathogens. Some manufacturers of carbon block drinking water filters will actually fill the central tube in these cylinder shaped filters with KDF granules. Partly because KDF helps with chlorine removal, etc., but ALSO because it will greatly increase the usable life-span of the carbon filter. A major issue issue with carbon filters for drinking water is that over time they can become a breeding ground of bacteria and pathogens, potentially making the water worse (from a pathogenic perspective) rather than better. Inclusion of KDF in the filter helps prevent or eliminate this issue.

Something I did not point out in my review is that KDF media will also kill bacteria, fungi, virus, etc. It will also reduce heavy metals (not really an issue for showering), and will also reduce hydrogen sulfide (usually harmless even for drinking, but is what gives some water sources a slight rotten egg smell).

Here's a blurb on KDF from one of the manufactures of this material:
"KDF process media work to reduce or remove chlorine, iron, hydrogen sulfide, lead, mercury, calcium carbonate, magnesium, chromium, bacteria, algae, and fungi.
KDF media exchange electrons with contaminants, changing them into harmless components. During their reactions, electrons are transferred between molecules and new elements are created."
"KDF media control the build-up of bacteria, algae and fungi in organic based media such as GAC filters and in-line carbon filters, extending the life of the carbon as well as protecting downstream RO membranes and ion exchange resins form fouling.
KDF process media kill bacteria by direct electrochemical contact and by the flash formation of hydroxyl radicals and hydrogen peroxide, both of which interfere with a microorganism's ability to function."
---

I trust this clears up any confusion about this.

>> WARRANTY <<
These have a one year warranty from Sprint. You can register your warranty here: http://www.spriteshowerpure.com/warranty-registration

- - -
A friend of mine in Colorado wrote a book many years ago called Don't Drink The Water (without reading this book): The essential Guide to Our Contaminated Drinking Water and What You Can Do About It. I highly recommend reading it. He was the one who put me onto KDF about 12 years ago. Although I've been using the Sprite filter since the mid 1990's, but didn't really understand the ins-and-outs of KDF and the role it place in the Sprite filter doing its job.

Happy showering!

- Jonathan
Traditional Naturopath, and author of Peace, Power, and Presence: A guide to Self Empowerment, Inner Peace, and Spiritual Enlightenment

>> To see more reviews on holistic books, super-foods, nutritional products, and other healthy-living and self-health products, check out my Amazon profile page.
44 comments|58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 26, 2009
I have been looking for a REASONABLE size shower filter head ( tired home depot, bed and bath etc, They all carry a RIDICULOUS SIZED showerhead filter that I am sure will bend my shower pipe into 2 pieces because of the weight)
This one's reasonably weighted and I can tell the difference before and after. I never knew my hair could be less fizzy because I have never used a shower filter until now. The water pressure still was great, no reduction at all.

5/5 stars!
on May 7, 2012
My wife had been complaining about hair loss. I figured that it may be something to do with Chlorine content in our water. I bought this product after reading all the reviews here. Since it was not very expensive I had very low expectations but this thing surprised me. The installation was easy and the shower head generated higher pressure than my existing shower head. Just after using it for a week my wife noticed improvement in the texture of her hair and also reported reduced hair loss. We have had it for almost a year now and I just ordered a new filter. I did reverse the filter few times as per the instructions, but going forward I am thinking of changing it every 6 months.

Those complaining about longevity of the filters have to realize that filter will not last long if you have more chlorine in your water. Even if you change it every 6 months its cost per month is about same as a Starbucks coffee. It's a very small price for improved health.
11 comment|71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 28, 2012
I've never used any other shower filter before, but after living in Las Vegas the water is quite rough on the skin. I noticed I would break out more often and my skin would always be itchy. I hated it and decided to get a water filter to see if the water was really the issue. After one shower I noticed my skin felt much softer, not dry like I usually feel. Overall I just felt better and noticed I wasn't itching anymore. Within a week I noticed I wasn't getting breakouts anymore, and eventually my skin actually improved with no change in my diet or general lifestyle. My skin improved dramatically. This wasn't a placebo effect, because after 6 months the filter started to lose it's effectiveness and I started to itch more often. Some days were good, but slowly I could start feeling my skin was getting a bit worse and I would feel more dry than usual. I hadn't "reversed" the filter once a month, I found that out later. This helps prevent "channels" from forming in the filter and increases the life of the filter. After I bought a new filter set (cheap considering how long they last)the same feeling I had when I first bought this came back. It's very well built and heavy duty. It doesn't feel cheap whatsoever. It's a bit heavy, but I wouldn't worry about it tearing down your pipes or hitting you in the head. It had a pretty simple design and other than the large filter area it's the same size as a regular shower head. I'll also note that the pressure is very good in both cold and hot water. Highly recommend.
on January 6, 2009
I noticed an improvement in the water immediately and how it feels on my skin and hair is a lot less drying than before.
Very satisfied with the product.
on October 30, 2010
I love, love, love this shower filter!! I didn't notice how much chlorine is in our water until I used this filter. It has been only a few days but my hair is much softer and my face looks amazing. I am surprised I don't have to slather on as much pore-clogging moisturizer after a shower either. I originally came on amazon to get a replacement filter for my Aquasaua 4100 that I have been using forever but started reading the reviews, I never did realize it didn't remove much chlorine. Also it stained the bottom of the shower floor which I'm guessing is from the carbon? Someone else mentioned it in a review and it clicked with me, I just thought I was getting lazy with my cleaning. I have never even heard of Sprite but someone metioned it in their review that they liked it, I researched it and is was actually cheaper with the showerhead than my Aquasauna replacement filter was. They say the filter lasts for a year (10,000 gallons) but we use a lot of water so I don't know about that yet. If it lasts six months the way it is I will be thrilled as the replacement filter is way cheaper too. The only complaint is the showerhead is loud, my hubby says it sounds like a swarm of locusts. Not sure if its the pressure or the size of the holes, however it seems to be getting quieter the more we use it. I may put my old shower head on it and see if that fixes it, it may be the filter, or it may be the head itself. I can deal with the sound to have soft hair and skin though. All in all I wish I had bought this years ago. I have also tried the Culligan which worked well but the filter only lasted months, the filters seem smaller.
on June 24, 2015
First off I'll say that I really like this shower head and the flow is great. Since I've installed this, my skin and hair have been thanking me every time I've showered. No need to repeat what others have said.
As I am something of a water purity freak (I live in Austin, Tx where they put all kinds of crap in the water), I did a TDS (total dissolved solids) test on warmed water that came from the shower head as well as warm water that came from the bath spigot directly under. I let it cool (even though my TDS tester does temperature compensate) just to make sure the warmer water didn't mess up the reading and both sources read right around 161. I had expected the water that came from the filter source to have slightly less TDS but it was basically the same. Then I did some reading on how the "filter" works and apparently it doesn't so much filter the chlorine as neutralize it. That's good enough for me since that same idea works when you're putting chlorinated water in fish tanks. Chlorine normally kills fish but if it's chemically neutralized they're fine.
Finally, here's a fun fact for you: During World War 1 one of the primary chemical weapons was, wait for it... chlorine! Chlorine killed people by making them suffocate in a fantastically awful way. Of course, you're not getting those levels of chlorine in your shower but do you think maybe breathing chlorine vapor years and years over your life might have some sort of cumulative effect? Better do something about it!
on January 29, 2014
I can feel and smell the difference on skin and hair. No more chlorine!! Water pressure will go down as filter clogs up with gunk. When you switch it out you will see and smell the stuff you have been showering in and you will be so happy you bought this one! My whole family feels the difference with and without this and my husband was a complete skeptic. I am a Nutritionist and I recommend this to All my clients. Not just this one but this is a great one IMO....
review image review image review image
on January 21, 2011
I owned the New Wave Enviro Premium Shower Filter System and I was very annoyed by the weak water pressure. When I received the Sprite Filter with shower head I was very skeptical, but when I installed it, OMGGGGGG!!!!! The water pressure was AMAZING!!! It was strong and abundant, and just what I wanted, and my complexion has never been more amazing..everyone keeps asking me what I'm using because my skin is so clear and beautiful and it is this filter that has dramatically changed the texture of my skin and I do not have the blackheads that I had before! My hair also has a shine and strength to it that it did not have before! I also am so happy that my 15 month old daughter now has a bath in clean water! You have nothing to lose, but everything to gain when you order this shower filter system...it is truly amazing...
44 comments|31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 24, 2013
Update (2014/05/23):
After much use, this filter has blown apart. According to my girlfriend, "Houston, we have a problem! It literally exploded while I was showering."
Image - Uploaded to the product image gallery.

Original Review:
The Sprint High Output Shower Filter appears to be doing its job in my shower. There is a slightly lower output of water through the filter, but that is to be expected.

I tested the Massaging Shower Head that came with this unit, but ended up purchasing a handheld showerhead, since I am used to that. The showerhead that comes with this unit is powerful, and makes you feel like you are being sprayed. The replacement I went for, feels more like being under a heavy rain.

Overall, I would recommend this filter and showerhead. It would definitely be an item that I would take with me on a vacation.
review image