-- SHORT STORY... IF YOU'RE IN A HURRY --

The short story is that I've been using these filters for over 15 years and have no issues with them. I don't shower in chlorinated water without one of these installed. I take mine all over the world for this reason (I am an avid traveller).

In my experience this product works well. No complaints. What's...
Published 21 months ago by Jonathan Evatt

2.0 out of 5 stars Plastic Housing Springs Leaks
Published on August 25, 2011 by ERadicchi

4.0 out of 5 stars Been using these for over 15 years... Excellent product. Lots of INFO here, March 25, 2013
This review is from: Sprite HOC Replacement High Output Shower Filter (Tools & Home Improvement)
-- SHORT STORY... IF YOU'RE IN A HURRY --

In my experience this product works well. No complaints. What's more, my brother who has eczema finds his skin is 100% better when he uses these filters (I loaned him one and he wouldn't give it back!). His skin clears up when he uses this filter.

Below is my full review which will interest you if you wish to learn more about these fiters, and surrounding issues with shower water, their usage, etc.

This review was originally written for the older style filter (which, oddly, are still for sale on Amazon, yet no long on the Sprite web site). I am posting this review on the newer style models since the actual filter is the same. I am also posting it on the actual Sprite filter cartridges, so everything written here is equally applicable to people interested in those.

>> THE FULL REVIEW AND INFORMATION <<

--THE CHLORINE ISSUE--
Chlorine is a known carcinogen. A little research on Google and PubMed will reveal that to you. If you're checking out this product, you most likely already know that chlorine is toxic.

It is estimated that about 80% of the chlorine the average person takes in from water is via showing. So those people avoiding chlorine in their drinking water for health reasons would be wise to use a shower filter.
I've been using the Sprint filter for over 15 years (not the same one!! They last a long time, but not that long!! I wish).
I am very sensitive to chlorine. I can't shower, for instance, in places like L.A. because they bathroom soon smells like a gas chamber to my sensitive nose.
This filter does not remove the chorine. Rather it binds the chlorine at an ionic level and effectively neutralises it.

--ABOUT KDF & CHLORGON FILTER MEDIA-- (pasted from a website about KDF)
Kinetic Degradation Fluxion (KDF) is a high-purity copper-zinc formulation that uses a basic chemical process known as redox (oxidation/reduction) to remove chlorine, lead, mercury, iron, and hydrogen sulfide from water supplies. The process also has a mild anti-bacterial, algaecitic, and fungicitic, effect and may reduce the accumulation of lime scale. The KDF redox process works by exchanging electrons with contaminants. This "give and take" of electrons converts many contaminants into harmless components. During this reaction, electrons are transferred between molecules, and new compounds are created. Some harmful contaminants are changed into harmless components. Free chlorine, for instance, is changed into benign, water-soluble chloride salt, which is then carried harmlessly through the water supply. Many heavy metals such as copper, lead, mercury and others, react and bond with the KDF medium's surface, thus being effectively removed from the water supply.
KDF process media will reduce or remove chlorine, iron, hydrogen sulfide, lead, mercury, magnesium, and chromium, and may inhibit the growth of bacteria, algae, and fungi. Redox media remove up to 98% of water-soluble cations (positively-charged ions) of lead, mercury, copper, nickel, chromium, and other dissolved metals. While removal rates depend on a number of factors, more than 98% of chlorine is removed by KDF in home water treatment systems (90% in shower water filters due to high flow rate).

With Sprite filters a substance called Chlorgon is also included in the KDF media, to increase the temperature range for effective chlorine removal.

--THE BENEFITS I NOTICE--
This shower filter from Sprite Industries makes a very noticeable difference to the levels of chlorine (and related toxic gases, such as chloroform) in the bathroom atmosphere. I got my first one 12 years ago when I moved to a town in New Zealand that was having issues with farm animal run-off getting into their water supply. They temporary solution was to greatly increase the level of chlorine treatment in the water. The water smelt so strong just washing my hands was a complete turn-off. I installed one of these filters and the problem was solved. No more toxic chlorine smell when showering.

I travel a lot and I take one of these filters with me every where. I install it where ever I go and need use a shower. It is usually very easy to remove the existing shower-head by hand, and screw this one on. I don't find that plumbing tape is necessary.

My hair is nicer when I use filter water, and needs washing less often.

My skin does not get dry when I use filtered water. Otherwise I tend to get dryness on my shins, elbows, knees, and face. I don't experience this when using this filter for my showers.

My brother has very sensitive skin. He tends to get eczema. His skin easily gets red, thin, broken, and itchy. This problems essentially went away after I gave him one of these shower filters. He couldn't believe he had suffered so much for so many years, and the answer was so cheap and simple.

--TIPS and TRICKS--
Many modern showers have a hose that goes from the wall to a shower head that sits in an adjustable bracket. The idea being that you can lift it off the bracket by hand and shower any way you like. Usually, however, where the hose screws into the fitting on the wall is too close to the wall for the shower filter to screw in. What you can do is screw the hand piece off of the other end of the hose and put the filter on between the hose end and the hand-piece. Due to the way the threads go, the filter will be around the opposite way from usual, which is fine as the filter is bi-directional.

This trick also works well if the shower is above a bath tub and you wish to have a chlorine-free bath. You can install the filter as described above, but just leave off the shower head (or take it off) when you want a bath. The shower hose can dangle down into the bath tube and fill it (assuming it is fitter at a low enough height, which they usually are).

If you are going to take this filter with you travelling I recommend taking a small adjustable spanner/wrench or vice-grip with you. I've sometimes come across shower heads that I can not remove with my bare hands. Trying to find a wrench in the moment can be next to impossible, or at least a nuisance. One like this one should do the trick: Vice Grip 4WR 4-Inch Curved Jaw Locking Pliers with Wire Cutter or Crescent Adjustable Wrench 4 Inch (I am assuming that'll open wide enough. I personally use a Vice-grip as it well even if the shower fitting nut has a rounded style to it.

--ALTERNATIVE OPTIONS--
I've been so happy with the performance of the Sprite filters, that I've never had the inclination to try any other brand or type. I have researched all the major kinds out there, and none convinced me to change. The Sprite was the most cost effective, and gets rated as having excellent results.

In recent months I have since looked at other shower filters on the market. The alternatives which stand out are the Aquasana AQ-4100 Deluxe Shower Water Filter System with Adjustable Showerhead and the Rainshow'r KDF Shower Filter With Massage Shower Head. Both are more expensive than the Sprite, and both can only be purchased with a shower head included (as far as I can tell). These other filters cost a lot more. Just the replacement cartridge for the Aquasana can be $40+. Are they any better? I can't really say, as I have not used anything but the Sprite, but certainly worth looking into.

-- OTHER SPRITE OPTIONS --
Sprite make a number of shower filters. The high output (HO) model was recently (in 2011 or 2012 at a guess) updated to have a more attractive streamlined look. The listings on Amazon seem to switch around from the newer to the older model. It gets a bit confusing. Here is an example of the newer look model (according to the picture): Sprite High Output Chlorine Shower Filter with Massaging Shower Head. The older style (which I have) is this one: Sprite HO-WH-M Universal Shower Filter and 3 Setting Shower Head, White. I am not sure why they older style model is still for sale on Amazon. Sprite have not depicted them on their web site for at least a year or more.

Sprite also make filters that are built right into a shower head. I assume they have lower water output, because the one I am reviewing (and use) is referred to as High Output. I would say it has lower water output because the filter cartridge is small (it has to fit into a shower head). If you have a modern shower and looks are important to you, you may prefer these newer all-in-one units. Examples are: Sprite ARS5-CM Royale All In One Massage Shower Filter Chrome, and Sprite S1ARS5CT Royale All In One Chlorine Removing Filtered Adjustable Spray Chrome Trim Shower Head, Chrome. Look around on Amazon for the full range.

They also have models that come with a handle, and the filter is built into the handle. Such as: Sprite Royale Deluxe Hand Held Chrome Chlorine Removing Shower Filter. Again, there are a few options, so do a search on Amazon.

Exactly which model of Sprite filter you buy will depend mostly on your existing shower head type. I have only used the Sprite High Output model.

-- DO YOU NEED THE SHOWER HEAD ALSO? SOMETHING TO CONSIDER --
The product you are looking at comes with a filter PLUS a high efficiency shower head.

The advantage of getting the shower head option (the product you are looking at) is that if you travel you may find where it is useful to have the filter AND the shower head. I find it has better output than many of the shower heads I come across. This is especially noticeable if the water pressure is relatively low, in which case the high efficiency shower head will make it seem like the pressure is MUCH stronger. It's also more environmentally friendly, because you will use less water when showering. Personally, I would get it just for that reason alone, but I am into minimising my impact on our environment and natural resources.

HOWEVER, if you only intend to use this filter in your house AND you already know you want to keep your EXISTING shower head, there is really no foreseeable reason to buy it with a shower head. You can buy it without the shower head here: Sprite HO-WH High Output White Shower Filter, Polished White, Chrome, Gold

STILL NOT SURE? At the time I am writing this, the price difference is minimal (less than $5), so if you think there is ANY chance you might need or want the high efficiency shower head then I'd suggest you go ahead and get it.

--THE CARTRIDGES--
I find that the filter cartridge lasts me much longer than a year because it is just me and my partner using it, and my showers are relatively short and only every second day or so. They can last me for a couple of years before I notice the chlorine smell returning. Replacement cartridges are relatively cheap. Here's an example: Sprite Filter Cartridge Replacement Model HOC For High-Output Filter Heads -- just $13.56 plus free Prime shipping at the time I am writing this.

--WATER PRESSURE?--
In my experience, having used this on MANY showers around the world (I travel with on), this filter does not create any noticeable change in water pressure.

TIP: If the water pressure is very high, it is advisable to actually not put the shower pressure on full. If the pressure is too high you will get decreased performance from this (and any other) shower filter. Set the pressure at a level that is still enjoyable, but not blasting out -- if you wish to maximise the amount of chlorine removal.

--FOUR STARS, ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT--
I gave have left one star off of this review simply because this product has not changed in the past 12 years and I think there is room for improvement. The most notable would be to include a convenient way to record on the filter when it was installed, and thus when it "might" need to be replaced. Better, would be a small built-in (resettable) flow meter or some way to indicate when it needs to be replaced. I realise, however, such an innovation may increase the price, but it would also ensure we get maximum usage of the filter, and minimum exposure to chlorine once it needs replacing.

4.5 stars - UPDATE: In light of the fact Sprite has come out with a more streamlined design for the HO shower filter, I would give the product 4.5 stars. This review was originally written for the older style filter, and I am submitting it to the newer style since they actual filter is the same.

--PATHOGENS, AN ISSUE ?? -- (Added, in response to a question raised in the comments discussion on the review I wrote of this product WITHOUT the shower head)

One person raised concerns (in the comments) about this filter increasing pathogens in the water, based on the inaccurate idea that removing/rendering harmless the chlorine with KDF will result in a built up of pathogens in the shower head. This is a good point to address. Here is the information I shared in my reply:

Even if KDF did nothing to modify pathogen levels in the water, it is not going to directly result in an increase in such pathogens, as you have suggested. But, as it stands, KDF will actually kill most pathogens. Some manufacturers of carbon block drinking water filters will actually fill the central tube in these cylinder shaped filters with KDF granules. Partly because KDF helps with chlorine removal, etc., but ALSO because it will greatly increase the usable life-span of the carbon filter. A major issue issue with carbon filters for drinking water is that over time they can become a breeding ground of bacteria and pathogens, potentially making the water worse (from a pathogenic perspective) rather than better. Inclusion of KDF in the filter helps prevent or eliminate this issue.

Something I did not point out in my review is that KDF media will also kill bacteria, fungi, virus, etc. It will also reduce heavy metals (not really an issue for showering), and will also reduce hydrogen sulfide (usually harmless even for drinking, but is what gives some water sources a slight rotten egg smell).

Here's a blurb on KDF from one of the manufactures of this material:
"KDF process media work to reduce or remove chlorine, iron, hydrogen sulfide, lead, mercury, calcium carbonate, magnesium, chromium, bacteria, algae, and fungi.
KDF media exchange electrons with contaminants, changing them into harmless components. During their reactions, electrons are transferred between molecules and new elements are created."
"KDF media control the build-up of bacteria, algae and fungi in organic based media such as GAC filters and in-line carbon filters, extending the life of the carbon as well as protecting downstream RO membranes and ion exchange resins form fouling.
KDF process media kill bacteria by direct electrochemical contact and by the flash formation of hydroxyl radicals and hydrogen peroxide, both of which interfere with a microorganism's ability to function."
---

I trust this clears up any confusion about this.

A friend of mine in Colorado wrote a book many years ago called Don't Drink The Water (without reading this book): The essential Guide to Our Contaminated Drinking Water and What You Can Do About It. I highly recommend reading it. He was the one who put me onto KDF about 12 years ago. Although I've been using the Sprite filter since the mid 1990's, but didn't really understand the ins-and-outs of KDF and the role it place in the Sprite filter doing its job.

Happy showering!

- Jonathan
Traditional Naturopath, and author of Peace, Power, and Presence: A guide to Self Empowerment, Inner Peace, and Spiritual Enlightenment

>> To see more reviews on holistic books, super-foods, nutritional products, and other healthy-living and self-health products, check out my Amazon profile page.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works!, May 27, 2009
I enjoy the product and it works! When I removed the last filter, and took a look at the gunk inside, I saw what I would have been showering with, I got the proof I needed.
I change the filter about every 3-4 months even though it states that you can change it less often. The head and the replacement filters are available at some Home Depots. They are about the same price everywhere from what I can see. If you order it on Amazon, sometimes you can save the shipping and tax which is a plus.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the better filters, December 21, 2010
AJ (Washington DC) - See all my reviews
I would rate this filter 4.5 out of 5.

I really do feel a difference. I had the sprite filter for about a year now and just replaced the cartridge.

I have tried a few other shower filters : Aquasana, VitaMaxTM Vitamin C inline filter. This is clearly the best.

My only issue is that it does not seem to last 1 year. For me it seems to last 7-8 months. Perhaps I should try switching the cartridge around after 6 months.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the trick, May 24, 2008
I did plenty of research before the purchase and I've been very happy for 6 months now.

It reduces the chlorine considerably. How do I know? I don't find my eyes all irritated and red after taking a long hot shower. It's easy to replace and filter isn't very expensive

2.0 out of 5 stars Plastic Housing Springs Leaks, August 25, 2011
This is a wonderful filter if you opt for the meatal housing unit as the plastic unit is likely to spring a leak like mine did. I bought the unit in March 2011 and the unit sprang a leak in mid July 2011 - of course it is a total hassle to return now. The filter works great just remember to opt for the metal housing from the start and save yourself from wasting time and money and from the irritation of the plastic unit springing a leak.

5.0 out of 5 stars Filters work great, April 1, 2007
I have been using a Sprite shower head filter for over a year now and they work great to reduce chlorine from the water we use to shower with.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helps keep our shower cleaner, November 6, 2013
We have iron and manganese in our water, so we need a shower filter. We have been using this brand for years. Each filter lasts a reasonably long time, and our tub would be a lot more orange without them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy, inexpensive, effective! Look no further!, May 9, 2013
I was very pleased with the original filter. It lasted more than a year (I live alone) and, even then, I only replaced it because I thought it "should" be replaced, not because I was starting to smell chlorine in the water. I was worried that the original housing would not come apart easily, or would leak once I put it back together. I was wrong on both counts! The replacement filter was super easy to install, and so inexpensive compared with other models. Look no further! This is your best bet!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I know what they are supposed to look like, March 25, 2011
S. Lawler (Raritan, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This filter is NOT a knock off of the original filter. Sprite changed it's replacement filter housing from white to clear, so you can see the filter media inside that does look like "tree bark". The original replacement filter had the "tree bark" media inside it also.

We have not had a problem with Sprite filters. The manufacturer of Sprite filters should thank me for explaining this to its customers, since I can find out anywhere else on the internet that this manufacturing change is explained.

5.0 out of 5 stars wowza, February 19, 2014
these things really do make a difference. the water is very hard where i live and these make a world of difference, however they do get clogged up rather quick and within 6 months i have to change them out or suffer from horrible water pressure and poor filtering.

Sprite HOC Replacement High Output Shower Filter