on January 5, 2011
Pros
*This filter actually works at higher temperatures. Carbon filters don't remove chlorine from hot water, this one does.
*Each filter lasts a year and just needs to be flipped half way through the year
*Very high water flow. The reduction in water pressure is very very small compared to other filters
*Works well
*Sprite will replace o-rings for free, as needed.
*The metal casing looks attractive and is much stronger than the plastic alternatives. (I've had plastic filter casings break over time under the weight of a larger shower head.)

Cons
*When you replace or flip the filter, the o-rings inside the filter can pop out and be difficult to get to re-seat. That being said, it just takes a few minutes of fiddling to fix.

I've had this product for 2 years and love it, I'm buying another. (I found a substantially better price outside of Amazon.)
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 27, 2011
Verified Purchase
This filter does everything the glowing reviews had me hoping for. I just bought an older home with original galvanized pipes, and after years of using a water softener in my previous home, my first few showers here were miserable. My hair was dull--actually felt dirty--and after it dried, I could do nothing with it. I was even self conscious about my boyfriend touching it. It just didn't feel or look clean and soft like usual. Expensive conditioners didn't help. They just made it feel heavier.

The first shower with this filter installed felt better, and my hair definitely improved right away. After a week of showering with it, my hair is just as soft and shiny as it ever was using softened water.

Beyond this, the unit is incredibly solid and well built. I'm confident it will far outlast the new showerhead I bought.

One tip: I had a plumber replace my shower arm to better accommodate this filter. The one I had previously was long, extending several inches away from the wall and down. Adding this filter did put the whole assembly too low for me and awkwardly too far forward into the shower space. The new shower arm is quite short, so my shower head is now perfectly positioned, even with this unit in the assembly. Well worth the trouble, as I think I'll be showering with this filter for some time to come.
on June 26, 2012
Verified Purchase
A few years ago I ran a pool water test on the water from my tap and got chlorine level readings that were as high as my pool.
Since then I stopped drinking water directly from my the tap by buying a drinking water filter system that removes chlorine.

At that time I did not worry about the shower or bath water effecting me adversely until I had been having issues with dry skin over the last few years and recently suspected that some of it was due to the chlorine levels in the water that I showered in. It was time to see if possibly a change in the water I was bathing in could correct the dry skin issue.

I researched and found this filter that seemed to meet the criteria for what I was looking for.
I ordered it on Amazon and received it a few days later. Very easy to install BTW.
It does change the ergonomics of the shower slightly. Results will vary depending on your shower set-up, but in my situation it is worth the slight change. Also, depending on what you are willing to do, you could make the set-up the same as it was before the installation with a shorter or modified shower elbow. I may do that eventually, but it is not a big issue for me right now.

I have used this for just over 4 weeks.
I did not notice any appreciable difference right away, but over the last several weeks I have noticed the sheen coming back to my skin.
That to me, makes this product a winner.
on December 29, 2011
Verified Purchase
After nearly 2 months of usage, it's time to review this product. It's not perfect but I think it's probably as good as it gets in this category. I'm glad that I purchased this one over the alternatives. Subtracted 1 star because of price and noise.

THE GOOD
- My skin is not as dry as it usually is in the winter months.
- Filter doesn't impede the water flow very much.
- Filters last for a long time.

THE BAD
- Quite expensive.
- High-pitched squealing noise! We notice the annoying high-frequency whine every single time that we shower. YMMV.
- Very heavy, you'll want to make sure that your shower arm can support this much weight.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 31, 2013
Verified Purchase
This product was easy to install even for a goof like me. I was able to attach my old shower head to it with some plumbers tape with no problems. My family and I were experiencing dry, itchy skin and hair. My hair felt like straw and was unmanageable with tons of dandruff. As an African American woman was waist length natural hair keeping my hair curly, bouncy, shiny, and soft is a process. We are not supposed to wash our hair so much with shampoo as it strips the natural oils from our hair. But I had such bad dandruff I had to wash my hair with shampoo every few days. After using this product for a few weeks my dandruff is gone, my hair is less frizzy, it is soft and very manageable. I was shocked at how well this worked. Our skin has ceased being uncomfortable, dry, and itchy. I would encourage anyone who experienced the side effects of hard water to get themselves a shower filter.
on March 24, 2011
Verified Purchase
I don't test my own water, so I can't personally make any claims about its effectiveness, but most independent lab tests I have seen consistently rank two types of filters as the most effective at removing chlorine: Ones that use vitamin C and the patented media used in the Sprite.

Where the Sprite stands head and shoulders above the rest is in its construction. Solid brass is the best material to use on plumbing fixtures, and the Sprite's threaded surfaces fit snugly making a water-tight seal. It's easy to install - I did mine without any tools, just hand tightened everything - and not a drop leaks. Because it is brass, it will not rust and seize up so you can easily open it up to change the filter.

The loosely packed filter media does not significantly restrict water flow. I haven't noticed any drop in water pressure in my shower.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 2, 2012
Ordered one for myself for the home and immediately noticed a difference in my hair once the chlorine and chemicals were filtered out of the water. Loved it so much, I ordered one more to take with me when I travel - it takes about one minute to install, so it is very easy to bring to hotels for travel and insert into the hotel shower with a small wrench.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 21, 2012
Verified Purchase
Much like other folks reviewing on here, we figured out the hard way that we had hard water. For us, it was shortly after we moved into a 100 year old home. My wife's hair she said "felt like straw towards the end". If she showered at her parents place during extended stays, her hair instantly improved. I also noticed the water did not foam up while shampooing. After briefly glancing at water softeners, someone told us these things exist.

We used this for about a year and half now before finally biting the bullet and getting a water softener. We would notice the filter has a seemingly more dramatic effect when it was first changed and then rapidly would drop off. The 6 months they quote is more than likely low usage, medium hardness. We would typically change ours every 3 months and realized it quickly became only moderately effective. When the Culligan sales rep came out and tested our water, he tested straight tap and also anything else we had that was filtered. Our water in general from tap was considered "hard" which on a PPM scale of 5-9 being "somewhat hard" and 10-20 being "pretty hard", we were an 11. Additionally he had a fluid scale that tested weight of minerals in the water. Straight out of the tap hardness was 300. Taken out of the sprite filter(which had been changed about 2 months earlier and had been rotated twice per instructions) was approximately 220. Our fridge filter which is PUR brand also registered around 240 and that had been changed mere days before. To give you an idea of what softened is, one we had our softener in place we were under ten. So I guess my point is this thing doesn't necessarily work miracles like an expensive water softener system will but it does reduce the hardness by a decent amount(approx 30%) which is enough to notice. Keep in mind that depending on how much you use the filter(how many gallons per day) and how hard your water is will impact how effective it is for however long.

I would say this is about the best thing you can get next to a water softener which is in a completely different league(both in price and performance). This filter does help with smell and hardness, but measuring it, it's more like a 30% reduction. Nothing can truly emulate salt based softener solutions with same level of effectiveness we've discovered. It's nice however that Sprite developed something like this for folks that live in rentals or don't want to buy/maintain a softener. It's measured ability to reduce hardness in water next to a brand new pur drinking water filter is also pretty impressive.

If you purchase this, just remember the best case scenario for a filter lasting is 6 months. As the filter's internals become saturated with deposits from the hard water, they will become dramatically less effective. The same is true about large water softeners which is why the salt is required as it effectively washes the hard deposits from the softener filter and resets its effectiveness. How fast this happens totally depends on how hard your water is and how much water you use daily.

At the very least, I can say we proved that this thing is definitely not tricking people with a placebo effect but it's also not a miracle worker. Put in the same context as a $2000 softener solution and it's understandable that it has its limits.
on October 31, 2010
Verified Purchase
This item was easy to install and works great! My husband and I could tell a difference right away. There is a defintie change in the amount of chlorine. Our skin and hair is much softer. We have very hard water and this makes ALL the difference in the world!
on September 28, 2010
Verified Purchase
Excellent quality filter. Reviews were good and I can see why. Heavy little bugger though! :-)

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations