Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on January 18, 2011
My son loves Sprout Organics baby food... especially the Roasted Pear. As it can be hard to find in stock at local stores I have tried (5 times) to order Sprout Organics from Amazon. Unfortunately, the twelve packs come in a manufaturer's point of purchase box that only has the name of the baby food on a label and 3 of the 5 boxes I have ordered have contained expired food! And lets be real - you are not going to feed a baby expired food.

It is very frustrating and I cannot really blame Amazon because as far as I can tell you have to open the manufacturer's box to get to the expiration information. So - the food is great but buyer beware. Check the expiration date because more than half of my orders have arrived to me already expired.

UPDATE: I have never updated a review but I feel compelled to do so now. I contacted Sprout and let them know about the expired food. The customer service rep who I spoke with told me that I "wasn't the first person to call them about this problem" but they seemed to listen to the feedback and even promised to replace the food. Unfortunately they forgot to send the replacement food so I am now 3 weeks from the date it was received in the mail... no money back... no food.

Here is hoping next week brings me better luck.
44 comments|24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 24, 2011
I bought one 2.5 oz of sweet potato by Sprout for .98 cents at wal mart. I did the math and its about $5 more on amazon for a 12 pack. I just wanted to let other moms know that it isn't cheaper on websites.
on September 24, 2011
I feed my baby organic baby food from several different brands. I must say that Sprout tastes the most like real table food. If you look at the ingredients, you can tell that a lot of thought is put into making these taste like real food. Plus, they are extremely filling and nutritious. I have tasted this one, and if salt were added (of course I wouldn't want that in my baby's food), it would taste like a very delicious canned soup.

If these are available locally, I would suggest buying one pouch of several different varieties before investing in 12 pouches of a flavor that your baby may or may not like. My local grocery store carries them as well as Walmart.

ETA: I just noticed that amazon doesn't list the ingredients. The ingredients for this flavor as well as all of the others can be found on the Sprout website. I will copy them here.

Organic Ground Chicken, Filtered Water, Organic Yukon Gold Potatoes, Organic Corn, Organic Peas, Organic Cream (organic cream, carrageenan), Organic Carrots, Organic Onions, Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Organic Garlic, Organic Vegetable Base (organic carrots, organic onions, organic celery, organic canola oil, organic carrot powder, organic potato flour, organic onion powder), Organic Sage.
on June 5, 2010
So my child was strictly breast fed until the age of 10 months. Then I tried feeding her. I tried just about every organic baby product out on the market, result : BLAH! She does not like baby food?!?!?!?! I have resulted in feeding her what she will eat from our meals, or rather what she is allowed to eat from our meals. I will eventually make all of her baby food but thought, why slave over the stove now if she is not going to eat? I'll wait until she wants to eat, then I'll slave. For now, she is nursing OVERTIME!!!

Today, at of all places, Lego Land, I see "Sprout" baby food. It's organic. I read ingredients . . . . just food! So, I try it. I like it. Tastes like food to me. Not jar baby food, but like the baby food I made my son. My daughter LOVES, LOVES, LOVES it. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that she eats it. Bought every one of the different types they had at Lego Land . . . . now I'm going to order on line.

If you like whole, REAL, food . . . . try it!
on August 7, 2012
This Turkey Dinner is one of only two Sprout Stage-3 meals that my baby will eat. (She's now 13 months old, and has been eating these meals since she was about 10 months old). Unlike many of the other Sprout Stage-3 foods, this one isn't overly thick and chewy. There are visible bits of vegetables and turkey meat, but they are very manageable, so they don't make my little-one gag or quit eating because the food is too difficult to chew with the few teeth that she has. It smells pretty good, too ... Like real "cooked" food, rather than ground-up "baby food." Most importantly, my baby loves it and routinely opens her mouth very wide for additional spoonfuls. This has become one of our "go-to" meals when there's no time for a home-cooked meal or finger-foods.
on April 20, 2012
Bought it form amazon , and found some "weird" stuff in 2 out of 4 bags I have opened, and the amount in one bag is quite significant. Looks more like leaf or pea skin to me. Contacted their customer service, and sent the picture I shared here. They told me it's "quite unusual" in the first email. In the 2nd email told me it is called "browning" generated during the process on rare occasions, and emphasised that "it is not a safe issue" wihile they are trying to improve to prevent this happen again. They offered coupons for replacement in both emails. As we are relocated out of the country, I asked if they could mail the replacement instead of coupons which is useless to us. They stop replying email and my other inquiries, and don't even bother to say a "no".

We carried this a long way with us, and it turned out that we are not comfortable to feed it to our baby anymore. The pouch shows dark green, and strong smell. Definitely not "a slightly sweet puree with a bright green color" as stated on the package. We also supplied Gerber and happy baby stage 2 food. This is the only food that my girl disliked.

Unsatisfied with the food, and really disappointed with their customer service.
review image review image
on February 24, 2011
My son enjoys this product, and I don't blame him. It is SWEET. Not surprisingly, since the first ingredient is JUICE, which is basically adding just empty calories for sweetness (as my pediatrician confirmed). I won't be buying this product again. Babies need whole fruit ingredients - juice is not considered an ideal food for them. I also saw that Sprout's pack with cinnamon apple oatmeal also has juice listed as the first ingredient.
on August 28, 2011
My 6 month old enjoys the Sprout Roasted Pears. It was the first baby food we tried with him and the consistency is perfect for a baby who is new to solids. The consistency is pretty runny, so you are able to get most of the product out of the package. (This is my complaint with other Sprout products: While the food is good, it is very hard to get all of the product out of the nooks and crannies of the package, so a lot goes to waste, especially with the thicker foods).

I'm not sure that the site mentions it, but Sprout is actually made by Tyler Florence, the Food Network personality. Not sure if that makes a difference, but it does have a nice story on the back of the package.

While others mentioned the price being high, I found it to be cheaper than in the store. My local grocer offers it for $1.55 a package, so it's actually a bit cheaper to order it through amazon. That said, I always try to find a single packet in the store to make sure my son likes it before I'm willing to purchase a box of twelve.

Of note, the product does come in a nice shipper and I was able to rip off the front and use the shipper in my cabinet. It was nice to be able to use that to keep the food organized in my pantry. An unexpected bonus for me!
on November 18, 2012
I loved Sweet Potatoes as a kid and my kids seem to love them as much as I do! The upside is I don't have to cook them or worry about BPA. There is the option of making all this yourself or trying to find a product that is easy. Well my wife and I chose to try these out and our kids loved them! The one thing that we also liked about ordering them from Amazon is they come in a box versus buying them individually from the store. The quality is always great and if there is a bad pouch they are replaced quickly. Highly recommend this company!
on December 15, 2012
I think Sprout is simple, healthy and convenient. Simple ingredients with no fillers or artificial flavors and is organic. I have, admittedly, even taken a few bites of it and didn't think "baby food". This is something you can feel comfortable giving your baby and not wondering what is in it. Very clean taste and the babies love it too. Convenient packaging that you can pack in the diaper bag (or use at home if you don't make your own baby food). Takes up little cabinet real-estate and doesn't have a huge footprint on the environment (recyclable!).

See 1 answered question