Facility Spring Cleaning Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Blue October Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

on August 24, 2011
I really love this second edition of Kelly's first cookbook! She's added new recipes like her stunning Strawberry Cake and her incredible grain-free Tortilla Wraps. Plus the format of the new edition is more user friendly. I love all the gorgeous color photos, too. This is such a beautiful and informative cookbook that even when I'm not cooking from it, I like picking it up, reading a bit (Kelly's writing is clear and straightforward), and then flipping through the pages and trying to decide what to make next. With "still-to-be-tried" recipes like Nutty Banana Quinoa Bread, Butternut Squash Lasagna, and Custard Pie, that's not always an easy thing to do! Our family's standby favorites are Spinach and Artichoke Quiche, Chicken Meatballs, Chicken Strips (yes, healthy ones!), Almond Muffins, and Flourless Brownies. This second edition is a cookbook for anyone who likes delicious food, but especially for those who eat gluten free, casein free, and refined sugar free!
on January 21, 2012
Beautiful book to look at... not anywhere near as many coconut flour recipes or low-sugar (uses a lot of honey etc) as I would have hoped for... she should call it nut recipes, lots of nut flour this and that a lot more than coconut flour :-( There are some good recipes in here, she has me enthusiastic to make my own nut milks but not the coconut cook book I was hoping for by the title. Also you have to buy dehydrator, ice-cream machine, food processor etc to make the stuff in this book!
55 comments|38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I bought this book when my 3 year old was first diagnosed with a casein intolerance and I cannot recommend it enough. Kelly has come up with some amazing dairy-free alternatives for hard to replicate items like vanilla pudding, whipped topping and my favorite, pumpkin ice cream!

I wholeheartedly recommend this cookbook, not only for those who are on a gluten-free, casein-free, and sugar-free diet, but also for those who simply love delicious food and are bored with the status quo.
on October 27, 2011
As a Mom, I have struggled to help my family with making the switch to gluten free, casein free and sugar free living. Many of the cookbooks and recipes I have tried online have made my kids and well, to be honest, my husband and I miserable. So when we found Kelly's cookbook and began serving ice cream for breakfast..the kids began bragging to all of their friends that maybe this wasn't so bad. And we are now going on three weeks and we haven't tried a recipes we don't like. Seriously. So I'm buying her other cookbook..she obviously has kids in mind when she makes her recipes and my kids (and the adults here too) thank her profusely. And let me tell you...I have picky kiddos. You won't be sorry. Yes, I buy some ingredients on amazon but when you do the subscribe and save, and then consider how much I am saving in doctor's bills...I think in the long run...I'm saving.
on April 9, 2012
This was the first cookbook I bought upon learning that we had to go strictly gluten-free and casein-free with our son who was diagnosed with mitochondrial dysfunction--a condition in any autistics that makes it far more likely to have deficits in their ability to produce cellular energy than in typically developing children. Following a clean diet high in short and medium chain fatty acids (found in coconut oil, palm oil and ghee) are important for these kids. The Spunky Coconut cookbook embraces both coconut oil and ghee (which when certified is casein-free).

Other prominent ingredients in this cookbook are eggs, stevia (a zero-calorie all-natural sweetener which I LOVE), cashew nuts, legumes, coconut flour, and almond flour. When the author describes the book/recipes as "sugar-free," I believe she is meaning cane sugar-free. Honey (and alternatively agave) and coconut sugar are used in some of the recipes--albeit very sparingly--and often combined with stevia to reduce the measures of these sweeteners considerably.

I've read reviews here of folks being disappointed that the bulk of the recipes are not coconut based. To the author's defense, "The Spunky Coconut" is the name of the author's blog. The title is not "The Coconut Cookbook." Many of the baked goods do contain some coconut flour and as I mentioned before, coconut oil is widely used. But the book name is referring to the author's blog and is not a description of all the recipes contained therein.

There is a great array of recipes in this book. From granola to quiche to soup to bbq beans. The book goes real light on the grains (brown rice flour) and relies more on nutrient-dense nuts, seeds and legumes.

There are pictures of many of the recipes which helps you see what the end result will look like (I like that). The ingredients and directions are laid out in a step-by-step format which I have no problem with. I tend to cook that way anyway. I'm not one to get all my ingredients lined up in a row and then start in on the directions. Rather, I grab what I need when I need it, measure it out and put it away.

Ms. Brozyna is an innovator. Out of necessity she has developed a unique approach to cooking whole and healthy foods that taste GREAT! I highly recommend adding it to your special diet library. Her second book, The Spunky Coconut Grain-Free Baked Goods and Desserts, is great, too!
on August 22, 2011
I love this cookbook. Particularly the ice cream section. The ice cream recipes are so easy and suuuuper delicious. I love a cookbook where I don't need to make tons of substitutions (which is rare since I have 4 food allergies: Gluten/grains, dairy, cane sugar, and soy). I recommend this cookbook to anyone who's interested in a grain-free diet!!!
on August 15, 2011
Love this gluten-free, casein-free, sugar-free cookbook! I made my first batch of cashew milk from a recipe in this book and it was wonderful. Aside from all the good recipes, there are lots of tips for substitutions (like natural alternatives for refined sugar), safe cooking, appliances, etc. Just a good all-around cookbook if you have dietary restrictions. Plus, there are lots of kid friendly recipes that parents will like, too.
on December 27, 2011
People who do the gluten/casein free diet for a reason and not just cause it's the it thing right now, my hats off to u because I am exhausted! My son now three has been on the diet for a year because he was diagnosed with autism. My world as I knew it came crumbling down - I took a few days to breakdown & then I got to work researching EVERYTHING! I came across the gfcf diet & Spunky Coconut she is my hero. When u first start u are intially shot down by friends and family that just don't understand why or mostly have a problem with change and thinking outside the bread box. Even with all of my son's improvement in eye contact, he learned to sign & he can read & spell words up to 6 letters, I still have freinds & family fight me on it. But my husband, son & I are all on the diet thanks to this cookbook that has shown me how to think outside the box. I know so much about seeds, nuts, beans and put them all in my desserts, breads & everyday food! What?! I know but its good & good for you. I have every cookbook of hers & am on her blog constantly. Because of Spunky Coconut I have learned so much & started making my own recipes without being scared. My son is the smartest & best behaved child in his autism class & for that I am thankful!
on May 6, 2012
People have been misled by the "Spunky Coconut" title, which I understand, since that's the name of her blog. But what's more misleading is the claim "sugar free" on the front, right? Sure, the recipes might be free of what Americans call sugar (the refined white stuff used for baking), but there's plenty of honey and agave used in the book. It's a bit of a bold claim to say "sugar free". Plus, I'd personally rather eat eggs in my GF desserts than some husk powder substitute. There are lots of weird ingredients like that used.
on January 24, 2012
I've been a fan of the spunky coconut blog for years, but just got my almond flour-dusted hands on this cookbook a few months ago. This is a truly fun cookbook as the author's style is so unique and laid back. The recipes are written as you would make them, with the instructions interspersed with the ingredients for a quick and easy flow. It might take you a couple of recipes to get into the swing of it, but once you do, her format makes cooking and baking so much faster.

The recipes are personalized with specific ingredients she recommends, base recipes to keep on hand (like cubes in the freezer) for quick food preparation, and other helpful tidbits that are sure to help moms and anyone else who doesn't have a lot of time to spare.

As for the recipes themselves, all have been wonderful thus far! I've sampled a couple of the salad dressings, the chocolate chip cookies, and the main sunbutter fudge recipe (hello amazing!). I'm just about to jump into the savory dishes, and have no doubt that they will be wonderful just looking at the ingredients and simple prep. I've already put the Roasted Garlic & Sun-Dried Tomato Dip, Slow-Cooked Thai Soup, Broccoli Quiche, and Easy Chicken Paprika in my menu plan for the month ahead.

A few quick details about this book: It is gluten-free and there are many grain-free recipes too. It is pretty much dairy-free. The author labels it as "casein-free" only since she does recommend ghee in just a few recipes, but you can easily use coconut oil instead. For sweeteners, the sweeter recipes use fruit, stevia, and honey mostly. The Spunky Coconut is full color, with yummy recipe photos (the brownies practically jump out of the cookbook at you!) for about a third of the recipes.