5.0 out of 5 stars Great for kids 6 & up
I bought this for my nephew last August for his 6th birthday and he just loved it! Out of all of his gifts, this was his favorite. He wouldn't put it down until he ran out of film. However, the toy only last 6 months.
Published on July 5, 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't really like this product
The film was incredibly difficult to load properly so that it would advance to the first picture. It took two adults and a pair of hemostats to finally get it to work. Inconsistent operation of shutter. As far as imagination stimulation, it was fine, but all in all we didn't think it was too great of a buy. I wouldn't recommend it.
Published on November 5, 2000

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't really like this product, November 5, 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Better for older kids, March 14, 2000
This review is from: Spy Camera by Wild Planet (Toy)
I bought this for my six year old son for Christmas. He was very excited when he opened it, but quickly became frustrated when he did not have enough grip strength to push the bulb to take the picture. I had a little trouble myself. The pictures it takes are kind of cool, but I would definately suggest this for a child at least 8 or 9 years old.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for kids 6 & up, July 5, 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars Really, really neat toy!!!, May 6, 2002
This review is from: Spy Camera by Wild Planet (Toy)
This toy is really cool!! It is really easy to put together and then it works great. My only complaint is the film. It has only 12 exposers and the pictures are not to good. Also, for the poeple that want to know, the pictures are in a circle and have the words spy cam at the bottom.
Tip:
Put the cord that you take the picture with down your shirt and into a pocket so you hit your pocket and it takes a picture with out people knowing...

2.0 out of 5 stars Forgetaboutit., November 25, 2002
This review is from: Spy Camera by Wild Planet (Toy)
OK, one of my friends bought this thing last year so I got a chance to mess around with it. The point of it is obviously to spy on people, which is one of my little hobbies, being a nosy person. :-) However, this camera will NOT help you spy on people, for the following reasons:
1. The "sunglasses" are not one-size-fits-all, so they'll look strange on just about anybody. Plus, they're not real sunglasses, just plastic. "Why on earth is this teenager walking down the street with plastic sunglasses that are way too small for him on on?"
2. The "small camera" is bigger than a lens on the sunglasses and sticks out from the camera like a sore thumb. As if there was any doubt that it's fro spying on people, it says "spy cam" in big letters on it. Nice. I know I wasn't expecting cameras straight out of James Bond movies, but come on, they can do better than this.
Also, the photos it takes are shown in a strange circle thing centered on the middle of the photo with the words "Spy Cam" (kind of like a gun sight.) Funny, as there's no sight on the camera. Let's hope the camera was centered on that person! (You need to be careful of this, as the camera takes a picture to the right of your head. So if you're right behind a person, move to the left and take the picture.
Now for the durability. The glasses are OK, I guess, for cheap plastic sunglasses. The trigger switch (bulky pump that goes in your shirt) is HORRIBLE. You need to pump it a few times to make it hit the trigger, and by then the person could ahve walked away. Plus, a few days after my friend got it, the pump completely came off.
It takes 12-exposure 110 film, which is low-quality film. You're not going to get this processed in 24 hours, because most development places don't have the equipment, so they'll need to send it on to a bigger one. Plus, no flash = better take pictures outside on a sunny day.
All in all, I think this is a pretty stupid item for anyone who's serious about spying or even just out to have fun like I am. A regular small camera *WILL* work better than this one for both snooping around and regular pictures. Buy it for your "future detective" little brother and get yourself a cheaper and better camera.
(BTW, I'm not actually 12, but my parents don't want me giving out my username or info, so I have to use the kids review page.)

4.0 out of 5 stars BIRTHDAY GIFT -SPY GEAR VERSUS CLOTHES, May 17, 2001
This review is from: Spy Camera by Wild Planet (Toy)
My son shared a birthday party with his girl cousin. The boys endured watching her unwrap myriads of clothing. The moment my son's turn came around and he opened the spy camera, the guys took off into the far corner of the room to discuss its assembly and use while my son told them to look not touch. He wore that thing for a week afterwards, at the playground he was the lead spy. He has not thrown it into the "chest of once cool toys" yet. And he's asking for the other spy gear at toys-r-us, so that he can be "complete" agent.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very spy like......., January 1, 2005
This review is from: Spy Camera by Wild Planet (Toy)
I bought this toy like..... when I was 6 or something and I gotta say, out of like 28 pics 1 was developed! For some reason they won't turn ouy properly, or won't turn out at all! This is WAY too difficult for children ( I mean VERY little children, around 6 or 8) to use. Plus when I was 7 I walked around parks and stuff with this BIG old thing attached to my glasses! That's not very spy like, and what do people thinK????? It could be a lazer, or a camera recording them or something! Well, kids could get in a LOT of trouble taking pics of people and stuff. The reason I gave this 2 stars was because the glasses are good for a cheap set. So down to the point. At walmart you can buy a pen sized digital camera for 20 bucks. It's not very clear, but it is more spylike and will save the time of developing. Another thing! Not many places like ecerd or Rite Aid can develop this film! They charged my dad like (...)because they had to send it lots of places for it to be deveoped! So we payed 15 dollars for 1 pic! Well just be careful with this and I hope this was helpfull!
~Doug

1.0 out of 5 stars Pictures didn't turn out, November 23, 2002
This review is from: Spy Camera by Wild Planet (Toy)
I got this toy for my 7 year old son. When we went to get the film developed, not a single picture came out. The developer told us that in her experience, the only pictures that come out using that camera are the ones taken outdoors. My son was very disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars FUN...if you take it apart, August 12, 2003
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Spy Camera by Wild Planet (Toy)
This toy is a bit too expensive for the tiny piece of the camera that resulted when I took the thing apart. I see many users are not having lots of fun with this particular toy because it's obvious the camera is everything but "stealthy". So here's what you could do to make it smaller:

Start by unhooking the "tube" that leads to the pump from the camera. You need a small screwdriver (ask a parent if you need help) and unscrew the gray part of the camera. From here you can see the annoying 'Spy Cam' border which can be removed. You should be left with a tiny box no bigger than your palm. To take pictures, all you have to do is press the tiny button next to the slider. Make sure after you take a picture that you do not wind the slider until the next time you want to use it again. You'll end up with wasted pictures of the inside of your pocket if you do. ;)

For decent quality pics you need good lighting (outside is best) and steady hands(to avoid blurring). Without the Spy border, the pics come out considerably big, which is a plus.

I hope this information helps so if you do have this product, it wasn't an entirely huge loss. Think of it as your own makeshift camera.

However, if fast and clear picture quality is your thing, you're better off with a disposable from Walmart.

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk, December 6, 2002
This review is from: Spy Camera by Wild Planet (Toy)
I bought this for my child and he was so excited....until he tryed it out. He was try to spy on some of his friends and he could not take pictures because when he looked at the picture it was more far away and could not see anything. I said he could use it for normal pictures and he said it is embarrassing but he still used it for nomal pictures......it had been two weeks from when I got that and we went to a birthday party, kids were laughing and the glasses sliped of his face and broke. He was so sad. I think those glasses do look really embarrassing and dont work on spying.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Spy Camera by Wild Planet
Spy Camera by Wild Planet by Wild Planet Entertainment, Inc.
$13.85