Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Spy Gear Ultimate Night Vision
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on November 14, 2011
This is a set of toy night-vision binoculars. They use a small infrared light to illuminate the room so that you can see through them in the dark. These work remarkably well for what they are - a fairly inexpensive toy. Real night vision goggles cost thousands of dollars, so keep that in mind - you aren't getting navy seal equipment here. The plastic casing is solid, but isn't going to withstand a ton of a abuse. They also aren't completely stealth, when you are using them, you can see the red infrared light. I would recommend this toy for ages 8 and up - it is fairly heavy and looking directly into the light in the front could damage a small child's eyes.

The binoculars take 4 AA batteries. They have a daylight mode, which just shows you what things look like normally - so you can compare your night vision to day vision. Two knobs let you adjust the focus and there is a strap for hanging around your neck.

PROS:

- Major cool factor - Just about anybody is going to enjoy this toy - but a boy is going to love it.
- Pretty good illumination
- Easy to operate - not complicated

CONS:

- Not clear how my wear and tear this toy can take - boys are likely to run around with it, time will tell whether it will really last
- Doesn't have any of the color modes some of the other night vision products have.
- Not really stealth (you can see the light) - this may be a pro for a parent who doesn't really want their kid spying on them.

Overall, I think any boy is going to love this toy. Heck, I got a night vision scope for my brother when he was in college and he was gaga over it. You are really getting a pretty good value for the money.
44 comments| 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 8, 2011
I bought this for my nephew who is 6 yrs old. when it arrived we put batteries in it to test it. My sons who are 17 and 22 actually wanted me to buy him something else because they thought it was so cool! Great toy for the price. Seller sent it right away and it was exactly as it was described! :)
on February 4, 2012
I bought this for my 12 year old son for Christmas. I didnt really expect alot for this being a kids product but it was really super cool once he tried it out. You can see pretty clearly in the dark with these...our house is in total blackness at night outside with the porch lights out and you could see clearly really well with these on. Him and his friends like to play outside in the dark and these make it really fun for him. They are really light so its not too heavy for him to carry around his neck. You cannot zoom in on things or magnify things (like real binoculars) these are only for night vision play. We are pretty happy with them so far.
on January 1, 2014
My son loves this product. It actually works as designed (although distance is limited) to the point it helped me see some not so friendly eyes outside my fence line that were aggravating my dog. The design is durable enough that is survived being dropped or jammed in a storage locker.

Don't expect this to strap to your head. It is not light. It is still a kids product and not intended for the serious paint baller.. :P
on December 27, 2012
The Spy Gear night vision binoculars exceeded my expectations. After doing a little research I purchased these for my 9 year old grandson for Christmas. Night vision glasses were on his wish list. For a child's toy they are quite amazing. He tried them out right away in a pitch black backyard and was so excited to be able to actually see in the dark. My grandson loves them and now his 10 and 13 year old cousins have hinted to me that they would be a great gift for their next birthdays. The product is well designed, well balanced and perfect for small hands. Installing the 4 AA cells was a snap. This is a good product I can highly recommend.
on April 9, 2013
I bought this for my son for Christmas, thinking it would be a wonky kids version of a cool gadget. It is not. It really works! We were blown away when we went in his room at night, closed the curtains and door, went in his closet (it's a walk-in), closed the door: And could totally see just like in military movies! We felt like the family in Spy Kids! Way cool, and really surprising. It of course isn't super high-resolution, but you can definitely tell what you are looking at in night vision mode.
on March 8, 2012
I bought 2 of these for gifts for my 2 nephews age 9 and 12, they had alot of fun with them, though it has to be completely dark for these to work and so that was a task in itself to be in complete darkness. However, they did have fun with them and I also gave them each a spygear voice changer thing that didn't really work, but still they enjoyed them
on December 30, 2012
You can set the goggles to long-range or short-range view settings. The red LED lights will come on (but may appear faint) in long-range view only and will be invisible in short range view.

The Ultimate Night Vision Goggles also has a Day Mode for missions that take place during daylight hours.

The Goggles are durable and seem to be able to take a pretty decent beating from the kids. It has a sleek design and just says, "Cool" from every angle.
on January 8, 2012
I bought 3 for my gr-grandsons - ages 5-6-7 - They loved them. They were "the" hit of the night. Especially with Dad. Everyone had to go outside and see how they worked. Great toy. I don't know about durabilit, but they seemed very well made - so they should hold up for young boys.
on January 4, 2012
This one really does have night vision. We'd almost purchased a different model until we noticed that it came with a built in flash light to see in the dark..ha! This one really does see in the dark...very cool. The only complaint we have with it is that it doesn't seem to turn itself off. My kids will play with it and then set it down and I'll find it hours later still on. Otherwise, great toy.

See 1 answered question