Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on November 8, 2010
This book, this series has left me quite disgusted and stunned. The only way that Opal could ever love Devlin is if she was suffering from Stockholm Syndrome. The abuse she suffered at his hands was horrendous. She was tortured so badly(repeatedly)that her bowels and bladder released! I wonder whether Snyder's description of the torture wasn't descriptive enough for some readers to pick up on the amount of pain that Opal endured. This series almost says to readers there are valid reasons to forgive and love abusers. I really enjoyed the Poison series but I wish I had never read this series. It left me feeling quite ill.
Julie
Aussie Mum
33 comments| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 29, 2011
I would first like to say that I'm a huge fan of Snyder. I loved her Poison series, and her new young adult sci-fi Inside Out and Outside in books. However, this series was NOT what I expected of her writing.

First of all, she uses words like "he huffed" to express annoyance far too often, and people seem to get punched in the solar plexus a lot. Maybe I just noticed because I was listening to the audio book. Either way, it was annoying.

Also, though beloved characters from the Poison series return in this, I find that Opal is a whiny, annoyingly childish girl who does everything wrong when if she'd given it a bit of thought, she could have avoided it all.

The worst part about this book was the *spoiler alert* romance with Devlin, her torturer. I was practically screaming "WTF YOU LOSER!!!" at opal the entire time. An addiction to blood magic does NOT excuse his torturing her! He still could have chosen NOT to hurt her, been a decent human being, and gotten HELP for his problems rather than take them into his own hand. But, like any abused girlfriend, she forgives his faults easily and goes and marries him. AND puts kids in his hands, like that's a safe thing to do.

I'm sorry, but I was REALLY creeped out by this book. Opal develops a serious case of Stockholm Syndrome, with no explanation as to why he's a good guy. Sure, he redeemed himself, but I still don't think that pardons him for TORTURE.

I gave this 2 stars rather than 1 because I liked the first book--Kade was the only character I really liked. I suggest reading that one and leaving it be. Or just not picking it up at all. Read Snyder's other, better, LESS CREEPY books.
on January 7, 2012
Other people have outlined the story so I won't repeat the whole plot line here. While the author writes well (an extra point for that), I read a few of the reviews and am glad that I'm not the only one who was disturbed that a young adult novel would conclude with the heroine choosing to live with the person who had brutalized her throughout the first books. Even if Devlen had changed, the thought that Opal would want to partner with him was just nausea inducing. Devlen may have been addicted to the blood power but no one forced him to torture Opal repeatedly for days. He even admires her stamina because she lasted longer than some of the men he tortured. How sick is that?

Opal didn't even seem to grow up much in this third book; she was still capable of rash actions that led to constant victimization that just became tiresome. It was blah blah, rush off again, betrayed again, in trouble again, everybody mad at her again. I was really interested in what was happening with the characters but kept hoping that Opal would learn some good judgment after landing herself in so many horrific plights. But Opal learning to be a little cynical is displeasing to the other characters as if her being naive and rushing off without thinking is somehow meritorious and endearing.

And did anyone else have a problem with the mother's atrocious behavior? Opal has to make these life-changing decisions like what to do if her future has no magic, attempting to regain her magic to manufacture the essential messengers only she can create, learning to infiltrate a maximum security prison, selecting a partner when she is conflicted, and figuring out what to tell the manipulative members of the powerful Committee about her strange immunity. Even one of those decisions would have been of utmost importance but Opal tries to take care of all of them before heading for home and then she is groveling for forgiveness because her mother casts her off because she is late in helping with Mara's wedding. Opal should instead have been really furious that these momentous decisions were considered of so little significance. And this treatment was part of her supposedly great family life. Maybe it was supposed to be amusing but with such a family, perhaps it's not so odd that Opal considers her torturer to be a good life partner.

There were some interesting parts in this segment: we learn more of Valek while he is teaching Opal the skills of a spy, Paszia Cloud Mist has grown up and treats Opal well while touring the family's diamond mines, the storm dancer routine is fascinating, Fisk and the Helper's Guild are equally interesting, and so is Opal's new relationship with Rees and Tre, young refugees from a brutal cultish regime.
on March 24, 2016
4.5 Stars
SPOILERS AHEAD
I loved this series overall because the heroine grows so much over the course of the story. This is really a story about Opal finding herself and it was great to watch it unfold. Opal becomes harder, but not bitter. She becomes smarter and stronger, but never loses her vulnerability. I disagree with the criticisms of her character and suspect they're mostly ship related. I am surprised that anyone liked Kade and Opal together. There are ways to write the "nice guy" compellingly and not make them one dimensional (see Jon Snow from Game of Thrones) and I'm a fan of those male leads, but Snyder didn't attempt that with Kade because she didn't want you too invested in their relationship. If you've read her other series, especially her most popular, she always pairs her heroines with anti-heroes or guys that have an edge. Never the straightforward, one dimensional nice guy. One of her male leads in her other series is an assassin, that literally murders anyone he sees fit for a living (and he's awesome). Yet some of the fans of Snyder's other series have a moral objection to Opal ending with Devlen because he used pressure points to torture her (when he was crazed on blood magic)?...That doesn't make sense to me. Opal did NOT fall for Devlen when he tortured her and held her prisoner. It was only after he redeemed himself (he was actually willing to die for her and for others) that she let herself get involved with him. He didn't change to get into her pants either, Snyder made it clear he truly did it for himself and because he wanted to. He really cared about other people. I think it made sense and it was executed well. It rightfully took Opal a long time to trust Devlen and what happened to her wasn't glossed over. I'm surprised that anyone who hated the idea of Opal forgiving Devlen and believing he had changed would read this book at all since Book 2 (Sea Glass) set this up. Anyways, it was great watching Opal grow in confidence and self esteem and let go of some of her black and white ideals (all of which Devlen helped her immensely with). That's really the best part of this trilogy and really all of Snyder's work I've read so far: they're really focused on character journeys, everything else is secondary. The characters drive the story not the plot. I will look for Snyder's new work in the future, I'm a fan.
on May 30, 2011
So, I'm all for redemption and forgiveness but I'm still puzzled as to how love (in whatever form) can possibly make you forget a history of torture and violation. Also, I thought it was a cheap shortcut to let Devlen blame all his actions on his magic/bloodlust (which he does frequently in Sea Glass). Regardless of the motivation or drive, he still tortured, traumatized, and basically raped her. It's like Yelena ending up with Reyad (from the Study series)!!!
on May 22, 2013
I did not like who the main character ended up with, I don't know if the author was trying to make her books less predictable by doing this or what, but I think it was a terrible idea for the main character to end up with the guy who tortured and raped her. This series would have been better if it would have ended at the first book, the next two are just bad
on March 12, 2014
Read the first series, Poison Study.... and loved them so I was thrilled to continue the story of Opal in the Glass books. Hooked my youngest daughter on reading both series. Plan to read more of Maria V. Synder books.
VINE VOICEon June 23, 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was a huge fan of Snyder's while reading the Poison trilogy, and had been very excited about this trilogy when it first began. And by and large, Storm Glass (the first book) worked for me -- while it didn't quite live up to the amazing characters, sizzling tension, and vivid settings of the earlier books, it was still a really enjoyable read for me.

But as I said in my review of Sea Glass (the second book), I finished it wishing that I had never picked it up. Not only did the book bother me in a lot of ways (especially in how it romanticizes rape and torture), it managed to cast a bad taste on the other books for me as well. When I re-read them now, I keep seeing it through that lens. Still, I picked up Spy Glass with a good amount of hope -- maybe part of Opal's path to growth and maturity needed to have the events of Sea Glass first. And instead, I read a book that fills me with anger and disgust, as at least a third of the book focuses on glorifying the rapist/torturer from Sea Glass, trying to show the reader how he is really morally, emotionally, and intellectually superior to all of the men around him, and how no one can love Opal better.

The only reason I am giving this book 2 stars instead of 1 is that the underlying plot was actually still quite good -- I just wish an author that put so much effort into showing Opal's growing strength and maturity could have stopped to think about what message that means her romantic choices are showing.

If there are other people out there who have read Sea Glass and are wondering whether to read Spy Glass, I think it comes down to this -- if the romanticism of rape and torture in Sea Glass bothered you, don't upset yourself even more by reading this one. But it didn't bother everyone who read Sea Glass, and I'm not even saying that it should have bothered everyone -- and if you're one of the people who absolutely loved Sea Glass, you will probably like Spy Glass even more. If nothing else, it does a great job of wrapping up the plot neatly.
on August 1, 2011
I loved this series from beginning to end. I especially loved this book. I disagree with those who claim Stockholm Syndrome. Opal needed Devlan because he understood what she went through. She was able to realize that what he did was because of the blood magic not out of cruelty. I have told all my friends about these books. Anyone who enjoys a lovely story with great characters this is it! I've read all Maria Snyder's books and I'm ready for more please :)
on January 8, 2015
I'm a huge fan of Maria V. Snyder and I absolutely love her Chronicles of Ixia series. I think the first three books starring Yelena were probably my favourite but I've still been really enjoying the Glass books featuring Opal so I was looking forward to seeing how things played out for her in Spy Glass. I hate to say it but I think this is the first time I've been disappointed by one of this author's stories. Don't get me wrong, there were a lot of things to love about this book and I think that anyone who has started Opal's trilogy will have to read this book if only to see the end of her journey but there was one thing in particular that really annoyed me.

I'm going to talk about the positives first and I think the biggest was seeing how far Opal has come since the beginning of the series. She's been through so much and losing her magic at the end of the last book left her despondent and depressed. She feels more than a little sorry for herself at the beginning of this book but I can't blame her for that and I thought the author did a good job of showing how lost and alone Opal felt. I loved seeing her come to terms with what had happened though and deciding to make the best of things. We also get to see her spending a lot of time with Valek which was brilliant, Valek has always been a favourite of mine so I'm never going to complain about him getting more page time! There was plenty going on in this story, lots of action and a good does of mystery and magic that kept me turning the pages.

The main issue I had was to do with Devlin and is where I veer into spoiler territory so you might not want to continue reading this review if you haven't read the book yet! I've actually grown to like Devlin a little in the last couple of books which surprised me considering how we first met him, we've seen a lot of changes in his character and I do think that people can redeem themselves and turn their lives around. I could even get on board with Opal forgiving him to a certain extent and I would probably have been happy to see him find love in a future book once he'd done a bit more to prove that he's changed. What I really, really, REALLY couldn't believe was that Opal fell in love with him. That just didn't seem even slightly realistic and I'm just completely unhappy about their relationship.

This is the man that tortured her both physically and emotionally, not just once but on multiple occasions going on for days at a time. He broke her, he basically destroyed her and he made her betray her friends and the people she loved. Not only was he involved in her sister's murder but he also swapped souls with her boyfriend and then used her boyfriend's body to seduce her and torture her all over again! All this has happened in the space of the last two books and yet now I'm expected to believe that she can not just forgive him but fall head over heels in love? Nope, I don't believe it. In fact I HATE it. I'm disappointed in Opal and I'm angry with Maria V. Snyder for leaving Opal's series with such an unrealistic ending. Of course the one potential silver lining to Opal ending up with Devlin is that Kade is still single and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we're going to get to see more of him in the next part of the series. I'd really like to see him meet someone and get his own happily ever after.

I may have been disappointed with Opal and Devlin's relationship but I've still really enjoyed the series as a whole and I would highly recommend all 6 of the current books in the Ixia series. I can't even begin to tell you how excited I was to learn that Maria V. Snyder was writing a new trilogy for the series and the first book, Shadow Study, is one of my most anticipated reads of 2015 - especially since it is going to be told from the points of view of three of my favourite characters in the series - Yelena, Valek and Janco!