on July 10, 2006
i dont know what the 'ell the other guy's problem was but, even though this game is a tad slow on installation (never frigered it out) its no reason to bash the game. I ran this thing on a Radeon 9600xt and its great, the graphics are...the best word i can use is nostalgic, which i believe was the point, makes it liek you are in an old fashoned experience. the audio is crisp, music is very well done, and "Theme from Peter Gunn" is awsome,i switch it over to the music player and play it over and over sometimes. controlls are very simplistic, which aids the game dramatically since you can focus on the game rather than putting your fingers in the right place. The story is a typical spy story (stop the bad guy, save the world) but the cutscenes are, although computer generated, are sweet. wht am i leaving out...oh, difficulty, its not that hard per se, but you must complete X ammount of objectives to advance to the next mission, so you have to play missions over again to get the objetives you didnt get the first time, which can get a tad annoying, but its still fun. Of course this game has all the elements of the original spy hunter and adds more.
on June 19, 2012
Verified Purchase
I discovered this game as a kid watching Toonami Game Reviews on Cartoon Network. The second I saw it, I knew I had to have it. And it was NOT a waste of money. I bought this game new for PS2 back in 2001 and it was a blast, still have the copy, still play it to this day, 11 years later. I am getting a PC copy so I can now play it on the go on my laptop.

In Spy Hunter, you play "The Agent" who has to infiltrate and disable the worldwide facilities ran by the evil "Nostra" agency, who is trying to cause a worldwide cataclysm.

Your tool: The G-6155 Interceptor. A vehicle capable of morphing into a high-speed sports car on land, a super speed boat by water, and for quick getaways, a motorcycle and jet ski.

The vehicle comes equipped with an arsenal of weapons. Including but not limited to:
Front-Mounted Machine Guns
Roof-Mounted Rocket Launcher
Rear-Mounted EMP
Rear-Mounted Rail Gun

As you progress through your career and discover Nostra's true plans for World Domination, you will unlock new parts for your car and an entire vehicle upgrade with a sexy black paint job.

Having friends over? No Problem! Spy Hunter comes with a 2-player battle mode! Face off against your friends in various missions ranging from racing to the checkered flag, to collecting the most satcoms (satellite communications).

Overall Spy Hunter delivers an engaging gaming experience that both racing and shooter players alike will enjoy, and should be picked up whenever seen by someone who hasn't heard of it. It is the best driving game out there and a LOT of people will agree on that.

If you are reading this review because you are unsure if you should shell out a few bucks for this game: STOP! Scroll Up! And hit Add to Cart! Don't miss the opportunity! You won't regret it!

Spy Hunter - PS2
Spy Hunter - Xbox
SPY HUNTER - GAME CUBE
Spy Hunter - PC

[Edit] -6/23/12-

Please note, after installation of the game and some playing. I have discovered that the PC version of this game is a bit lacking versus the console version, it lags for no reason when my PC is far superior to the minimal requirements listed on the box. Also, Midway took the liberty of taking away sounds, lowering the graphics and giving the game a feel it was slapped together, rather than the more refined console version.

The PC version feels like a completely different game than the console version and the PC version gets a rating of only 2 ** Stars out of 5 from me. The console version however, gets an incredible 5 ***** Stars from me as it is the best game I have ever played as stated above.

Plain and simple, just click on one of the links above for the console editions and get one of those, you won't regret it, the game's a blast!
on July 23, 2004
I got this game for free with my new video card. I thought, hey, pretty cool, I remember the arcade version.

I put the disc in, a dashboard screen came up. I chose install. Nothing happened. A few minutes later some process kicked in and the game limped through installation. After installing I tried to start it, but it just hanged on the opening screen.

I uninstalled it, made sure my drivers and system (directX version, etc.) were current and reinstalled. Same thing. This is on a P4 2.8 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 10,000 RPM S-ATA Raptor drive, 128 MB Diamond Stealth (GeForce FX 5200) video card, Win XP SP1a. Certainly not the baddest, but most would agree a capable machine for running games in These Modern Times (7/2004).

Ironically, I gave it a shot on the old junker I'm replacing and it came up fine. So maybe this is the reverse of the classic gamer's warning: instead of "be prepared to upgrade," it's "make sure your hardware is outdated enough if you want to run this game".

See 1 answered question