Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Spy Kids 4 (3D Blu-ray + Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Blu-ray|Change

on November 25, 2011
My kids ages 5 and 7 really liked this film, so I decided to rate it 4 stars, although on my own I would have given it 3 (I am not the target demographic after all.) I think Antonio Banderas and Alexa Vega lifted these films a bit in the past, and without them, it is feeling tired. In this one, a new generation of parents and kids are introduced, and they do OK, but lack the charisma of the original. The tone of the movie is different too - much more focus on humor, and a fair amount of slapstick. The highlight for me was Ricky Gervais voicing a robotic dog - he gets some of the best lines of the film, although my kids didn't quite get him. Jeremy Piven has some good moments as a two-faced agent/villain, but he also overplays it at times. Jessica Alba and Danny Trejo are fine, but don't compare to Banderas and Vega.

The plot is so-so, although I did appreciate the stepmother/blended family theme, as I do think that is relevant to many modern families. I also appreciated that even though this is an action movie, it is more focused on humor than violence. And as I said, my kids really loved it, they were riveted throughout, so for a family film, that gets it to 4 stars in my book.
on August 26, 2011
I don't know WHAT the previous reviewer was talking about, I don't think he even saw the movie! First, the 4th dimension is smell, that's not a spoiler. I don't understand the reference to Joel Fleishmann(???). The kids from the first three movies ARE in this film, but they play Jessica Alba's character's niece and nephew, not the kids. I was very happy that they brought them back, it tied all the movies together very nicely (and it was nice to see them all grown up!). During the movie, numbers would flash on the screen, matching numbers on a card you got when you bought your ticket. Good old scratch and sniff! The reaction from the audience with one of the numbers was a riot! That made this movie so much fun! I saw the movie in 2D, so I can't comment on the 3D effects. All in all, a really fun time at the movies!
Director Robert Rodriguez seems determined to keep the "Spy Kids" franchise alive at all costs. "Spy Kids: All The Time In The World" is essentially a reboot as opposed to a true sequel as it launches viewers upon the adventures of a new central family. Yes, original kids Alexa Vega and Daryl Sabara are on hand as grown counterparts of themselves, but it feels as if they are passing the torch to the younger generation. While this, the fourth in the series, has much of the visual inventiveness you've come to appreciate from Rodriguez, it does lack some of the easy charm of the first couple of pictures. Trading cleverness for obvious humor, though, has its drawbacks. Thankfully, on on-demand, we are spared the theater's Aroma-Scope scratch cards that surely promised a plethora of unpleasant smells. (For the record, I liked it when John Waters did it, but that was a different story entirely). The movie plays to a certain demographic--if you think passing gas, vomit, and other bodily emissions are hysterical, this might be just up your alley. I always hear the argument "but the movie is for kids" when people are defending entertainment of this type, but the point seems rather irrelevant when you think of all the good kids' movies with genuine smarts.

Jessica Alba plays Vega and Sabara's aunt. She, too, is a spy. Upon giving birth to her daughter, she decides to quit this dangerous occupation to focus on her new baby, husband (Joel McHale), and step kids (Rowan Blanchard and Mason Cook). However, when a nefarious mastermind starts moving time forward at an alarming rate--the fate of the very world is in jeopardy. She has had prior dealings with another criminal who holds the key to this mystery, so she is drafted back into service. This being "Spy Kids," though, Blanchard and Cook are soon up to their little necks in danger as well. Will these darn kids be able to save humankind? I won't ruin the surprise. Jeremy Piven is cast as Alba's superior at the agency, and Ricky Gervais provides unusual support. Everyone is game and, as I said, certain visuals are fun to watch. But that being the case, I found most of the actual humor forced and flat. There are only so many times passing gas can effectively be used as a punchline!

The movie, despite its slapstick silliness, wants to have its share of warm moments as well with the family drawing closer. I never really responded to Blanchard, though, who needed more discipline than understanding. I love Jeremy Piven, who despite having a large role, is never given any real comedy. And Gervais, to my mind, is a comic genius but his running monologue is uninspired and obvious. All the elements were here to make a good picture, I even liked the plot well enough--the screenplay just needed that extra push to make it more fun and funnier. Mostly for the kids, I can't really make this much of a recommendation. It's easy enough to watch (since I didn't have to smell it), I just wanted to laugh along. Overall, about 2 1/2 stars but I'll round up for the kiddies. KGHarris, 11/11.
on October 26, 2013
We keep renting this over and over. My 5 year old is obsessed with the movie. She keeps asking to watch it over and over again.
My 5 year old daughter laughs her head off when the dog keeps cutting the cheese, and describing it.
To kids who love to hear about poop and gas, the jokes are pretty funny. My kids laughed really hard when the baby diaper of poop was thrown in the bad guys face. They thought it was hilarious. My kids laughed when the green goop that was gross fell onto the kid.
My child also loved the concept of the kids becoming spies. She was even talking about being a spy for Halloween possibly.
on September 25, 2013
I enjoyed the action packed scenes in the movie. However, the 3D conversion was awful. Some scenes looked OK, but a good many did not look natural, and even off balance, where objects that should have been behind other objects appeared to be in front.
on October 21, 2013
GREAT add on to spy kids, whats really neat is how they add the original characters with the new ones makes for such an awesome storyline, GREAT family mpovie 5 stars
on January 29, 2012
A very good 4th. Of course with Jessica Alba how could they go wrong. The kids are a completely new generation of Spy Kids but pick up on how to be great Spy Kids and Save the world. Good story line written for Kids and Adults alike something to keep everyone interested. I give it 5 star (which is saying alot for me I rarely give anything more than 4).
on February 23, 2013
Kids loved this movie! Nice product for the price. We got all three versions - 3D, DVD and Blu Ray.
on April 20, 2014
I watched this movie just after having watched the three movies from about 12 years ago. I loved the new kids, Ms. Alba and Mr.McHale and of course Mr. Piven and Mr. Gervais. Ms. Alba is particularly beautiful in any show she is in. The other three are just plain funny. I also loved to see how Carmen Cortez grew into such a beautiful young lady. I am glad that Ms Alba was playing her step mom because Ms. Alba doesn't look old enough to be anyone's Mom. There was a lot of silliness, a lot of slapstick, and a lot of just plain fun. Although this was aimed at a much younger audience than myself, I enjoyed it, laughed and was really entertained.
on February 14, 2014
Our grandsons age 4 and 8 loved the movie especially the talking dog. It starts out a little slow with the spy kids storyline, they kept asking where the spy kids were but once they came into the story, they sat and watched the rest of it without being bored. We had watched the third one on cable and they really liked it so we purchased all four and on a snowy day watched them with a lunch break in between.
We enjoyed watching the movies with our grandsons too.