Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
Spyderco Ambitious Black G-10 PlainEdge Knife
|Price:||$35.97 & FREE Shipping. Details|
|You Save:||$18.98 (35%)|
- Enter your model number above to make sure this fits.
- Made using the highest quality materials
- Tested for quality and durability
- The most trusted name in you cutlery needs
- Part of Spyderco's line of value-priced folding blades, with G-10 handles, Walker LinerLocks, spine and liner jimping, lined lanyard holes, and skeletonized, full-length internal liners
- Palm-sized, versatile knife with flat-ground, 8Cr13MoV steel blade and rugged screw-together construction
- Phosphor bronze washers, four-way hourglass clip, and enlarged hole in blade
- 5.8-inch open length, 3.6-inch closed length, 2.25-inch blade with 0.47-inch hole, and 0.125-inch blade thickness; three-ounce weight
- Includes limited manufacturer's warranty; details included with purchase
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
The flat-ground, 8Cr13MoV steel blade offers a continuous edge and oversized hole.
The Ambitious is a palm-sized, versatile knife with plenty of applications in a decidedly compact package. Tenacious, Persistence, Resilience and Ambitious are qualities we aspire to when facing challenges. These traits are revered at Spyderco and why we named our line of Value Folders after them. Our goal is to offer affordable folders with five-star features: G-10 handles, Walker LinerLocks, jimping, lined lanyard holes and skeletonized full-length internal liners.
Product Specifications and Warranty
The Ambitious has a flat ground, 8Cr13MoV steel blade, with a rugged screw-together construction and phosphor bronze washers. It has a four-way hourglass clip and an enlarged hole in the blade. Specifications: 5.8-inch open length, 3.6-inch closed length, 2.25-inch blade with 0.47-inch hole, 0.125-inch blade thickness, and three-ounce weight. Sypderco knives include a limited manufacturer's warranty against defects in materials and workmanship. Details are included with your purchase.
Spyderco remains dedicated to researching and developing improved, better-performing materials with function and reliability, and its unique cutlery line is a result of designing ergonomic, functional tools. The company puts its new products through rigorous testing prior to release, examining edge retention with a CATRA machine, looking for rust development with Q-FOG, checking the force needed to open and close a knife, and analyzing numerous other technical details.
Top Customer Reviews
2.25" 8CrMov13 blade steel - If you know nothing about stainless steels, don't worry, this is a good one. It comes extremely sharp out of the box and is easy to maintain that razor sharp edge. If you use it a lot it will need sharpening, but the upside is that it's extremely easy to sharpen with a simple sharpening stone or contraption. There are some high-end steels on the market that hold their edge longer, requiring less-often sharpening, but that comes at the cost of being harder to sharpen. Yes, sharpening can be tricky on some of the newer high-end steels like ZDP-189, so unless your'e an aficionado, 8CrMov13 will not disappoint.
G10 handle material -Very good grip without being too "sticky" where it grabs the inside of your pocket making it harder to deploy. This material is used in some higher-priced knives as well so G10 is definitely a premium feature on this one. This knife will not slip out of your hands.
Excellent construction - Spyderco is know for a couple things, the big patented hole on the blade and their build quality. This one, although bearing the "China" name on the blade, is no exception. The quality of materials is very high, and the construction is rock solid. There is absolutely no blade play and the opening action is smooth. The lock-up on the knife is snappy and solid. the blade pivot rides on 4 bronze bushings (flat washers) and the inner liner lock is stainless steel. Both the liner lock and top of the blade have "jimping", which are ridges cut into the metal for your thumb to grip onto.Read more ›
That said, part of me wishes I would have bought the Persistence or even the Tenacious instead. This isn't a knife you use for trimming threads off of a sweater -- it's a working knife. And the same things that makes this knife solid (big chunks of stainless steel in the liner, that awesome Spyderhole opener, relatively thick steel blade) make it heavy and bulky for EDC. Even though this is the smallest knife of the family, it's still a good two fingers wide (to accommodate the Spyderhole) and a finger thick with the clip. The only dimension that's shorter is the length. If you size up to the Tenacious, you get a whole lot more cutting edge for just a little more weight, and not much more pocket space.
Also, this blade can handle some heavy duty slicing. If I put my thumb on the jimping, though (a nice touch, by the way), my little finger is past the end of the handle. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it just doesn't feel like I have a good grip to support what this knife can do.
So overall, this knife seems a little mis-proportioned. It's capable of big knife tasks, and it's got big knife size in two dimensions. If you're looking for a small pocket knife, you could easily get something much lighter that takes up a lot less space in the pocket. And if you're looking for a solid working knife, the Persistence or Tenacious will give you a better grip and longer cutting edge for just a little more weight.
But if you don't care about all that and just want a small Spyderco (and really, who doesn't?), this is a great knife at a great price.
- Small. This knife is definitely small, and while it probably could be a tad lighter, I think its weight is plenty Ok for me. Mine weighs in at just a pinch over 3oz (3.023oz).
- Looks. This knife just look neat, and if you have a Tenacious or any other knife in this family of Chinese folders from Spyderco, you will appreciate it's style and looks. It's essentially a scaled down version of its bigger siblings.
- Proportionally scaled. What I mean by this is that the knife isn't just a shrunken version of the Tenacious or Persistence, it actually has its own special sizing and dimensions to make sure it remains functional at this size. For example, the liner-lock is the same thickness as the Tenacious, the blade is also the same thickness (3mm) as its bigger siblings, and the clip is the exact same size clip used on all the other Tenacious line of knives. However the Spyderco hole is smaller, kind of wish they would have kept that the same size as well.
- Feels good in hand. For such a small knife it actually feels quite nice in the hand, although even with my normal sized hands my pinky does fall off the edge with a full grip. A good solution to this is to add a square-weave lanyard to the end so you have something for your pinky to grip on to.
- Box razor on steroids.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
This knife took a very good edge and is a nice size for a pocket knife.Published 18 hours ago by Bill
Beautiful blade, although I wish the scales were a bit beefier.Published 14 days ago by Richard Manatad
perfect EDC. The size, the design, the quality the open - it's just a perfect knife for me.Published 17 days ago by MxM
Great durable blade, high quality, well made. Very thick and wide that's my problem, not a practical EDC It's heavy and the blade is wide. But the quality is undeniable. Read morePublished 18 days ago by BZ
Absolutely a GREAT everyday carry knife. superb quality for the price and the size is right for most general day to day stuff.Published 26 days ago by Mr. Me
For such a short blade, this thing is anything but discrete. The wide blade is startling to non-knife carriers. It just looks huge. More like a skinner than an edc blade. Read morePublished 29 days ago by Amazon Customer
Very sharp! needs to be lubed right away because it doesn't have any, but it can be done with WD-40. It's a bit small but at the same time thats what I wanted. Read morePublished 1 month ago by justin dorsey
Love this knife....big enough and small enough. Makes a great everyday carry knife! Opening it is a breeze. Sharp and compact... All around great knife.Published 1 month ago by Eric Giese