5.0 out of 5 stars Know what your buying!
Published on May 10, 2012 by Grizz41626

3.0 out of 5 stars over rated steel
Got this knife and it is ok. Honestly I prefer the regular Endura 4 with VG 10, the blade was super sharp when I got it and it seems to be holding up ok but I don't really feel that the difference in steels made that much of a difference and it is SUPER hard to sharpen and not worth the trouble in my mind.
Published on March 9, 2012 by Edward Grey

5.0 out of 5 stars Know what your buying!, May 10, 2012
This review is from: Spyderco Endura 4 ZDP-189 Model # C10PGRE (Sports)
Look guys you have to do your steel research before you buy this knife. I really like the zdp-189 steel used in the knife blade but I can see where a newer knife owner could run into problems. First if your planning on rubbing this knife against a cheap stone and hoping to bring out a razor edge your going to be really dissapointed. The zdp-189 needs to be worked with quality stones and patients if you want your knife to carry the same razor edge it came with from the factory. If your new to knife EDC carry or knives in general try the vg-10 steel version. It's not that the zdp-189 steel is hard to sharpen (if your experienced) but if you aren't familiar with it or you don't have the proper sharpening equipment you're going to have a hard time getting this knife to perform. The great benefit is that you can really get some razor sharp cutting time out of this steel compared to vg-10. In my experience cutting similar materials (cardboard, wood, and others as part of testing) with both the vg-10 and zdp-189 versions the zdp will far outshine the vg-10 in edge retention almost 55% improved edge retention time with the zdp-189. So in summary do your research and decide what you need. If your looking for good steel with easy sharpening use the vg-10 version, but if your looking for extreme edge retention and you have experience sharpening knives the zdp-189 is the knife for you hands down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Steel... Reasonable Price, September 20, 2010
S. Farmer (Dallas, Texas USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spyderco Endura 4 ZDP-189 Model # C10PGRE (Sports)
I purchased this particular knife because I love the Endura design (especially w/ a Full Flat Ground blade) and I wanted to try out the ZDP-189 steel. I received the knife and was at first disappointed w/ the initial edge. It was sharp, but not at all what I've become accustomed to with Spyderco products. It almost seemed as if the edge had been rolled. So, after a quick touch up using a ceremic stone and a strop, the blade sung. I got it hair-popping sharp fairly easily... considering the overall hardness of the steel. I'd heard horror stories about sharpening this stuff. That done, I examined my new knife. It is an Endura 4 in every way, except the steel, the full flat grind on the blade, and the racing green frn scales. It seems to fit my hand just right. It's lightweight enough that I hardly notice it's there, but large enough that it could be used for any situation, including self-defense. If I could only carry one type of knife for the rest of my life, it would probably be an Endura. It's a great value. Super Steel... Reasonable Price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unreal, January 23, 2013
This review is from: Spyderco Endura 4 ZDP-189 Model # C10PGRE (Sports)
This isn't a knife so much as a folding scalpel. I've never owned a knife anywhere near as sharp as this thing is right out of the box! It just cuts, and does it well. I used it once to open an envelope, and I literally couldn't even feel the edge touch the paper; it was like running the knife through an envelope that was already open. Needless to say, slicing off ribbons from hanging paper is no problem.

I still can't even believe it's this sharp out of the box, and it doesn't appear to be losing its edge one bit. Granted, I haven't tried hacking through a 2x4 or anything like that, but it has sliced right through paper, food, etcetera without any difficulty whatsoever. It has a full flat-ground blade, complete with a thinner tip than, for example, a saber-ground blade would have. Combined with the very hard steel (RC64), it is not suited to use as a pry bar. Quite frankly though, if you want a pry bar, save yourself some coin and get one. This is an incredible, precision blade made for cutting, not a blunt object.

It is a Spyderco, so right off the bat you know it's a quality product. It sits in my pocket very well, and lays flat - no annoying pressure on the side of my leg. It feels nearly weightless too. The pocket clip is a sturdy piece of steel, and it appears that Spyderco has given it a black oxide coating rather than a paint job. This is a good thing, as it means your clip should look good and remain relatively scratch-free for a much longer time than a painted clip. It also looks and feels better to me; it's a nice smooth satin black. Ultimately, however, if you use this knife for every day carry, as I do, it will eventually get scratches of some kind. I've been carrying mine about a month now though, and it still looks brand-new.

For anyone who is on the fence, jump on down and grab this knife. It's a great price for a great blade. I can't recommend it enough, and I will probably pick up a few more to give as gifts, and to increase my personal stash!

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Endura for the collection, February 10, 2014
Jaime Nunez (LAREDO, TX, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spyderco Endura 4 ZDP-189 Model # C10PGRE (Sports)
I have several Enduras I just didn't have this one and I got it because of the exotic steel. I love the Endura design but I am not crazy about full flat grinds, I like the saber grind better on this knife design, the older version of this knife had the saber grind but all the newer ones are only offered in FFG. I know it is a better slicer but the tip is thinner also, so it is a matter of preference and use. As for the ZDP 189 it is just a little harder than VG10 and retains a better edge and its not as difficult to sharpen as people say I used some diamond rods to get the 30 and medium, fine and ultra fine for the 40 and it worked just fine but needs some extra repetitions. I do think that the edge could chip faster than VG10 but it has not happen to me yet and been cutting some boxes, plastic straps even a coke can and so far so good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stupid sharp!!, August 16, 2013
This review is from: Spyderco Endura 4 ZDP-189 Model # C10PGRE (Sports)
This was the sharpest knife that I have ever received!! I did not try it but I wouldn't be at all surprised if you could actually shave your face with this. I can easily get a "razor edge" on my knives that will easily take hair off an arm but this was Way sharper than that. It will be interesting to see if this steel will allow me to get it that sharp when i finally do have to resharpen it. By all accounts, it should.

The knife is 90's technology updated with more current features. It is kind of neet to have a piece of history as I believe this was one of two knives that Spyderco first went to market with. The first one handed pocket clipped locking knife. Cool beans! I had to loosen the screw a bit to get it to flip open easily and even had to revert to a tiny tiny brushing of petroleum jelly on the friction point between the blade and the spine in order to overcome the friction of the spine enough to let it flip open smoothly. It was well oiled but the oil did not have enough thickness to do much good. Works well enough now. Definitely see the advantage of the modern technologies.

It is a good knife.

5.0 out of 5 stars Endura 4 ZDP-189, May 21, 2013
This review is from: Spyderco Endura 4 ZDP-189 Model # C10PGRE (Sports)
Would recommend this knife and blade. Razor sharp, holds and edge very well, durable. Everything you would expect in a Spyderco. Best knife steel on the market.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, December 11, 2012
This review is from: Spyderco Endura 4 ZDP-189 Model # C10PGRE (Sports)
Very impressed with quality of the knife, very light and convenient in hand.
Easy to open and close even with one hand.
Would recommend the knife to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars WTF?, January 14, 2012
This review is from: Spyderco Endura 4 ZDP-189 Model # C10PGRE (Sports)
Who needs a knife this sharp?! Seriously, I never understood "scary sharp" until I got this knife... It's insane! I ran it down with an 8000 mesh stone and in less than 5 minutes I was actually shaving with it. The metal is just nuts.

The FRN grip looks kinda cheap, but I have a feeling it will outlast me. It is also comfortable to hold.

The knife design itself is ergonomic and feels great in your hand.

One last thing, for those guys who say the knife is a little big for EDC, just go get another Zima for your manicure and get over yourself! Don't knock on this knife because it doesn't fit in your suede man-purse. This is a great EDC that will last a lifetime; Endura is quite an appropriate name indeed. I will recommend to everyone who will listen to me, largely because of the blade, but also because of the design.

**UPDATE:

Well, it's been about a month now.

Some things I can reflect on:

-The Handle
Anything bad I might have once said about the handle is completely overturned with use. It is seriously functional and tough.

-The blade
This blade is brittle. The first day I got the knife I had to put a new tip on it. Of course I was "assisting" a lock open when the tip broke; not a smart idea for a knife with a 64-67HRC blade. The edge only stays scary sharp for a few days, then remains about 85% for a few days of normal use. At that point I give it 3-5 swipes on the 8000 mesh and it is perfectly sharp again.

-Construction
The knife is extremely well made overall. One small thing I've noticed is that the belt clip is coming a bit loose. The screws are torx heads, so I have to buy a new wrench to tighten it.

-Overall
Overall I can't imagine anything else for an EDC at this point. The darn thing grows on ya so well. It is just nice to be able to pull out a razor sharp edge anywhere you need it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Knife! Is it really magic?, December 15, 2012
This review is from: Spyderco Endura 4 ZDP-189 Model # C10PGRE (Sports)
Form follows function. Beauty follows function. Spyderco ZDP-189 has won my heart. These Spyderco ZDP-189 knives come closer to magic than any other steel I have encountered. Roselli fixed blades are awesome and close to magic, but they are fixed blades, and I'm too old to be playing Daniel Boone. The same with Dozier's D2 knives. I'd bet my life on them, but I have them for their beauty. Japanese blue and white steel knives at the high mid-sixties RC are awesome, but I use them in the kitchen. You can't beat Spyderco for EDC (every day carry). I bought the Endura, Delica, Caly3, Dragonfly, and Ladybug, all in ZDP-189, and all because I read the reviews of ZDP-189. I got one, and loved it so much, I bought the others over time just to have them. I bought them not as "in search of magic" knives, but "because they are magic" knives. The Endura is too big for me to carry. It's a big EDC knife, but I love it anyway. It screams, "This guy is carrying a big knife," and that's not good, unless you are a "working man" who needs to carry and use a big knife. If that's the case, it's a great choice. For me, the Endura 4 is a "just in case" knife. It's a fun knife. For EDC by the ordinary man (or woman) the ZDP Dragonfly is tops. The Ladybug is a little small. I tried to carry it, lost it, and had to replace it. The Caly3 is great, but expensive, and a little heavier than the others. It's prettier though. The Delica is my second choice, but I'm thinking about carrying an Opinel 7 sometimes. Both are bigger than I need for EDC, but both are great knives. The Opinel is about one fourth the price. The Delica is about four times the knife. I'm almost seventy years old and have been looking for Excalibur all my life. With ZDP-189, I think I've found it. It comes closer than anything else I have come across-at least for my gentlemanly needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Sharp., July 13, 2014
This review is from: Spyderco Endura 4 ZDP-189 Model # C10PGRE (Sports)
Great knife. Very slim and the ZDP 189 blade steel is unbelievably sharp. carry's well in pocket.

Spyderco Endura 4 ZDP-189 Model # C10PGRE