5.0 out of 5 stars The Real Thing
I own several Sypderco models and this is the largest of the bunch. Let me say right up front that most people do not generally require a knife this large and, in many jurisdictions, it might not even be legal to carry a 4" blade.

Published on January 12, 2012 by Ricardo

1.0 out of 5 stars I would not recommend purchasing this knife
Packaging was very suspicious. The spyderco box was opened. There was no documentation inside the box and the bar code had been relabeled. I'm investigating whether this knife was a defect, second or a counterfeit. It definitely was not delivered in new condition. I would not recommend purchasing this knife.

Also, when folded the blade is obviously angled to...
Published 1 month ago by L. Holt

5.0 out of 5 stars The Real Thing, January 12, 2012
Ricardo (New York City) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spyderco Military Model G-10 Plain Edge Knife (Sports)

Normally, I tend to prefer the "lightweight" type Spydercos with FRN handles, but the Military is designed for heavy use, making G10 the better choice. You WILL know that this knife is in your pocket or clipped to wherever you may clip it.

Although I'm way past the age where the armed forces would have any need of my services, I can understand why this knife is so popular with our troops. While no folder can be as strong as a fixed-blade knife, this one comes close. Once it's locked, one would have to put a lot of effort into making it close unintentionally. I mean a LOT of effort.....the kind that would more accurately be called abuse.

Out of the box, the blade is as sharp as any I've ever owned. The steel is superb at holding an edge but can be a little difficult to sharpen. I'd recommend buying a good set of diamond stones for sharpening. Something like the Gatco Edgemate with diamond hones (assuming that you are aware of the shortcomings of this and the Lansky equivalent) the DMT folding type would be a good choice as they are very compact. Unless you really beat on this knife and chip the edge, you can probably skip the coarse stone and just go with medium and fine. Extra fine is probably overkill. I've never used the Spyderco Sharpmaker, but that might be worth considering if you spend the extra money on the diamond rods.

I chose the model with the black blade and camo scales simply for aesthetic reasons. The last thing I'm worried about is giving away my position to the "enemy". However, if you are in the military and plan on using this knife in a combat area or giving it to a member of the military, this is the model to get.

The Spyderhole is something that you either love or hate. If you're not used to it, it might seem odd at first. However, use it for a while and you'll never want anything else. This one seems slightly larger than most and I think that it was designed for use with gloves. Both opening and closing can be done with one hand which is a great feature. It will be a little tight at first, but give it a good lube job and work the lubricant in by cycling the knife a few hundred times (seriously) and it will become very smooth.

Two underrated features are that it is screwed together and of "open" construction. This may mean nothing to the average user. However, if you use it under conditions where dirt/sand can work its way into the knife, these features make it easy to clean. There are some very expensive knives from other manufacturers that do not have these features and, in a worst-case scenario, can literally mean the difference between life and death. I don't mean to sound so dramatic, but should a knife become a weapon of last resort, you'll want it to work....period.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and Excellent Knife, July 26, 2010
Brian (MO United States) - See all my reviews
I really love the orange handles on this great knife. Very light for it's size, with a great blade shape. And the blade comes razor sharp, and is thin S30V so is easy to keep razor sharp as well. American made also! I have the titanium version of this knife as well, but much prefer the G10 version like this one to the titanium. My only complaint would be that the orange handles show dirt and grime very easily. The knife will look "dirty" and "well used" after just a week's carry and normal use... you'll have to scrub the handle occasionally with a soapy toothbrush or something to keep it the beautiful orange color it arrives with. If you use your knife alot, especially with grimy hands you may want to order the black or camo G10 version instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Spyderco Ever, November 6, 2011
Jeremy Hinson (Springfield, Missouri) - See all my reviews
I've had Spydercos ever since the first generation Endura came out, with the integrated zytel clip. They have always been above average as far as the knife industry goes, but until I got this Military, I have never felt that they could hang with companies like Benchmade and Microtech. NOW, I'd rather give up all my Benchmades and MTs than my Military models (yes, I ended up getting a couple). The thing that always kept me from being in love with Spyderco was that you always used to have to choose whether you wanted a fair-priced knife or an awesome knife. You could get an Endura for $50 or $60 but would you trust your life to it? Civilians have always been about $160. Tough as nails, but too much money and too specific a purpose. Other models, like the ones in partnership with a famous designer like Jens Anso are either $200 or made in Taiwan. They just haven't been able to get it right for me until now. This knife, however, really takes the cake at being the perfect mix of tough, well-designed, the right materials, and the right price. With the exception of a titanium side with an integral frame lock, this is apples and apples to a Chris Reeve or Strider, both of which I own and do not love any more than this. If you decided to just do an abuse-until-breaking or failing test, this would probably lose to a Strider or Chris Reeve, but just for normal use, I don't think you would ever know the difference. The one thing that I will advise if buying one on here is watching them for a few days. As of right now (November 2011), the price can fluctuate $20 within a couple of days. In my opinion, if you can get one under $140, it's good. A popular knife website I buy from frequently has them for $159, which is too much in my opinion, but they sell plenty of them for that. The only thing I would change is the pocket clip. I prefer tip-up carry, and this one is tip-down and not changeable. I knew this when I got it, though, and many people prefer tip-down anyway. All in all, this knife is one of the best folders ever produced in my opinion, and the price is so, so attractive. Buy this knife if you can get a deal on it; you will not regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spyderco Military Rocks, March 8, 2013
Arrived 1 day eariler than projected and in excellent condition. I actually wanted the Paramilitary but was not in stock. I am definitely not disappointed with this purchase though. Light weight, sharp out-of-the-box, good workmanship, easy opening, and solid lock-up. Not sure I would have named this a "Military" It has a thin tip that would penetrate easily, but tip may break easily also. The flat ground four inch blade slices well. For a military role I think I would recommend a knife such as Benchmade's 710. "Military" is an excellent product none-the-less.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every cent, June 10, 2013
This knife is everything you need if you work or spend a large amount of time the great out doors. I have had it a few months and it is used almost every day, still sharp as a surgeons scalpel, the lock still snaps open like a bank vault. The more I use it the better it seems to get

4.0 out of 5 stars Big Boy, December 13, 2010
I purchased this for use on day hikes and short trips into the outdoors. The rugged design and size seem to make it a perfect choice for these trips. However, I had also hoped to use this for occasional everyday carry, but it is a little large for that. I really do not consider that too much of a problem since I have plenty of other choices for EDC. So, make sure you realize how big this "Big Boy" really is before purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome knife quality knife, March 14, 2014
This was my first spyderco I have ever bought and I curse this knife! Because it really got me hooked on spyderco products! The knife is light and tough and the blade is made out of s30v so it holds a wicked sharp edge. I highly recommend this knife if you like larger blades.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Knife, February 12, 2014
Feels nice in my hand, might be considered a little big but I love it. Vendor got it to me promptly was everything that was promised.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesume, February 2, 2014
Really cool knife. I recommend this Spyderco Knife for every collector to have. Fits really good in my hand. It's little pricey thou.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great blade., August 28, 2013
Long, but not bulky or heavy. This is a light knife, but not flimsy. This has quickly become my favorite knife. Highly recommended.

Spyderco Military Model G-10 Plain Edge Knife