Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on November 7, 2014
This book covers the whole story of Squanto (and not just how he helped the Pilgrims) in a simple easy to read way. My second grader has to write a book report on the how Squanto helped the Pilgrims and we will be using this book, because iit explains how and why he was able to help.
on October 11, 2003
This book provides a lot of information that hasn't appeared in other children's books. I really found myself interested in the story and understand the life of Squanto better than ever before. I highly recommend this book.
on January 8, 2014
This is probably one of the best books I have on Thanksgiving. Being a preschool teacher with 13 grandkids I wore my first copy of this book out and needed to purchase another one this year. It truly brings out history about the treatment of Indians that other books left out. I recommend this book to anyone homeschooling or just reading to their favorite preschooler.
on November 9, 2013
This book is a misleading piece of revisionist history. The second page of this book states that the people of Squanto's tribe were "friendly and peaceful," while various other sources state that the people of Patuxet killed all the white men with whom they came in to contact. No doubt Ms. Kessel is pushing the liberal narrative that the Native Americans were "friendly and peaceful" while the bad, bad white man came and not only took away their land, but also was so very cruel. The truth is that there were atrocities committed on both sides. I do not consider this book appropriate for my five year old as it is written and will have to cross out the lies before doing so.

Page 44 says, "Usually the Pilgrims thought that games were a waste of time, but on this day they gave in." I need to do some more studying, but I don't know that this is accurate either as the author may have been confusing the Pilgrims (Separatists) with the Puritans. I know I have read in a couple of sources that the Pilgrims did not dress in brown or black as they are often pictured, but that the Puritans did. And yes, the Pilgrims are pictured that way in this book.

Were the author and the illustrator trying to deceive the children for whom this book is written or were they just sloppy in their research? I don't know. Either way, it is not accurate.
on November 30, 2013
It was too advanced for Kindergarten. Too many words in the book too long to read. Plus the pictures were in black and white.
on June 24, 2014
This book is full of revisionist history. Shame on the author of this book! There are some facts, but also deceitful storytelling from the author. If you are going to write an historical book for children, leave out your hateful opinion. I do not recommend this book for children.
on November 4, 2013
Within the first few pages, the author would have you believe that the sole purpose of the Pilgrims journey to America was to seek riches, gold and silver. In addition, the author states that the Pilgrims found only corn and Indians. The former they did not know what to do with, and the latter they could use as slaves. To me, those lines seem to be a cheap shot at the truth.
on November 7, 2012
I read this book to my first grader (home school)and he was deeply interested. It prompted questions and he really felt for Squanto and the pilgrims. A great "living book" for young children. It touched us both, as we are both just beginning to research Thanksgiving (since my public education did such a disservice - in this area in particular).
on December 31, 2012
When I was in 4th grade (many years ago) I LOVED this book and frequently checked it out of the school library. I found it on Amazon.com and ordered it immediately. It brought back so many great memories and I'm thrilled to have my own copy that I can read and reminence with anytime I want to! Thank you!