Supreme Commander 2 [Download]
Platform for Display: PC DownloadChange
Price:$12.99

on March 12, 2010
Platform for Display: PC
I am not usually one to write reviews, but this game was such an utter waste of time, effort, and money that I felt compelled.

While the graphics are improved (on maximum settings) , the much vaunted "story line," is so horrible that your ears will bleed upon hearing the script and you will weep when you see the poor "cinematic," cartoon-y graphics.

Game play wise, I actually enjoy the idea of "research," points, and the developers have simplified the resources algorithm. I always appreciated what they tried to do with resources in SupCom 1 , but it never seemed to be intuitive to grasp at any given moment and determine exactly what you had available.

However, the three tiers of units leading up to the awe inspiring experimental units are sorely missing in this game. This could have been fixed even with the new research system, but it just is horrible designed and thought out. Like other reviews say, experimental units can be taken down by a handful of basic fighters.

In short, there is nothing that separates this game from any other RTS out there...except maybe for how truly horrible the story telling is.
on July 10, 2011
Platform for Display: PCVerified Purchase
I loved Supreme Commander and Sup Com FA. I was very excited when I heard Supreme Commander 2 was coming out, but I decided to wait for the initial price to come down a little before buying. So glad I did. The reviews were so poor that I was turned away from this game completely. Then, recently I noticed that SupCom2 was cheaper than going out and getting a burger, so I figured it was worth the pocket change to give it a try.

I've been downloading updates for the last two days, unable to play the game until complete. And this evening when I tried to continue with my updates, Steam informed me they were too busy to handle my request. Completely unacceptable. I am deeply irritated... and I paid a fraction of the price many people bought this game for. I'd still say I overpaid.

I will not buy another Steam based game, period.
review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 22, 2010
Platform for Display: PC
As an RTS in general, this game is poor. As a follow up to the best RTS ever, it is shameful. The number of units per race is pathetic. The maps are small... but pretty. Very out of proportion with the unit/building size compared to building space. The flow control they bragged about is junk - land units can't move around the commander. Units will actually push other units halfway across the map because they can't get around. If you want a challenge and try the cheaters.. be prepared to spend the entire game building anti nukes. That is glitchy too since many anti nukes will launch against a single nuke. I personally have seen as many as 4 anti nukes launch against 1 nuke. You have to build every individual anti also, you can't click to auto build. The experimentals are very weak in this. 3 anti air under a shield can take down a UFO.

The NOAH and Magnetron are cool additions, but have their own problems. It will take 3+ magnetrons to matter against a good attacking force, and the NOAH is awesome the first time you see it... but when 100% of the force gets shot down by anti air when you have 5 NOAHs, then that quickly negates the awesomeness.

You may get 3-4 interesting games out of your money, then you will see how boring the game is. No variety at all.

Some EXTREME negatives are -
The horrible installation experience. A very long, very slow download from steam to even be able to play.
I paid full retail directly from steam, but don't get ANY of the extra maps.

I currently have 69.3 hours logged in this game. I have tried to get blood from a stone. My opinions are not high level hearsay. I have played hundreds of hours in the TA/SC/FA games and was still playing FA until the launch of SC2. SC2 = Fail
on March 17, 2010
Platform for Display: PC
Ok first I should say if you were a fan of the original Supreme Commander you will be sorely disappointed. I would agree with these other reviews completely in that this game is a generic RTS. This game is really a knock off it seems - the graphics are piss poor - I think the first game was way better. The gameplay storyline are extremely forgettable - bad dialog, sound effects and general fx in general. Honestly - and quite bluntly - I think they dumbed down the game so it would be more universally accepted for those that lacked any strategic fabric in their body. Resources don't mean anything - you can't capture mass from anything other than destroyed units and actual mass collectors. Medium level units take out experimentals which is an ultimate joke. Units are almost an exact replica of the original and the game overall lacks any real inspiration. What a disappointment. I should note - I downloaded the demo on steam - and boy am I glad I saved myself 50 bones instead of trusting this as a worthy ascension in the series. So yeah - this is a short review - but if you read, as some morons call "haters" reviews, you will get the full scoop. Trust me if you value your hard earned dollar you will steer clear of this trash.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Platform for Display: PC
Terrible sequel. I'm not sure what the aim here but it did not work. I'm seriously sick of sequels riding the coat tails of truly great games. For quite some time i have been anticipating this game I cannot describe how disappointed I am. Id like to list all the reasons this game is woefully inferior to the last game but all the other reviews have done so for me in greater detail already. I used to tote on how revolutionary and groundbreaking Supcom/FA was and how they finally broke the C&C mold but now this unbalanced C&C clone has tainted the fond memories I have. Beware RTS lovers this game may not be bad but it isn't very good either.
on March 18, 2010
Platform for Display: PCVerified Purchase
Yes, there are probably hundreds of other reviews that can verbalize this much better than I. I just wanted to submit one so it went into the statistics.

I've been a fan since the first release of TA. I've bought everything Cave Dog and GPG made, just to put money into their pockets and hope the ultimate version of TA was made. It looks like that high was on the original Supreme Commander and expansion pack.

There were no steps forward made with this game. Visually it may be a little better but nothing that you can tell offhand.
The engineering dynamic is complete crap now. There is no strategy or complexity. Just dump a lot of money into research stations and max out your tree and all of your units are instantly upgraded - stupid.

The AI has been dumbed down quite a bit too. I used to enjoy large skirmish matches against the AI. Get a large map, put 8 enemies on there, set various difficulties of AI, and you could hunker down for a good 4 hours of fun. Not now. The "normal" AI seems to focus on building nukes, so you're forced to build a boat load of nuke defenses. But, they took out the auto-build, functionality so you have to micro-manage the defenses. If you disable nukes, "normal" becomes "super easy". The more challenging AIs do very little to make it more challenging other than increase the unit count.

I want the old resource management back. You can build 100's of shields w/out any affect on your resources. There are no more uber-guns that would soak up your energy, forcing you to increase your storage. It is the lowest-common denominator that you can think of - resource management in its most simple form.

Aircraft management is also just as simple. You never have to refuel. You only have to go a few nodes into the research tree to give your planes the ability to repair in flight.

The levels are boring and small.

In the end, it comes down to who builds the most experimental factories and can pump them out and also something to keep the aircraft off.

After playing this thing for two weeks, I think I've come to conclusion that this is "Supreme Commander Lite" and it was targeted towards 8 year olds playing it on their 360. This is not targeted towards any of their previous fans. This is a money grab. Console games outsell PC games by far so they're probably trying to figure out how to boost sales in that market. That also lends itself to the Steam requirement. They're losing money on the PC side so maybe Steam will help stop some pirating.

I am really hoping they release an expansion pack for this that turns it back into what we all really want. I'm uninstalling and going back to Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance.
on April 2, 2010
Platform for Display: PCVerified Purchase
I hate to say it, but this game is a total dud. The experience after purchase is as follows:

1. Install the game

2. Wait for four hours as a gig of downloads come at a crawl through Steam. (This has nothing to do with the bandwidth on your end.) Apparently some heavy-duty changes to all the major DLLs were necessary after publishing the title.

3. For certain video cards (not indicated on Square Enix site), if anti-aliasing is disabled, the terrain textures won't render, making the game unplayable. Try finding an FAQ or patch that fixes the issue... (that's rhetorical, you can't.) Spend a couple of days trying to troubleshoot this bizarre error, with no guidance from tech support.

4. Finally play the game, yay! And be utterly, totally disappointed. This is already stated in numerous reviews but bears repeating, just in case you didn't believe it the first two hundred times you read it, or in case you like my style of prose better.

Two factors made the first Supreme Commander a truly great game. The first was a twist on standard RTS gameplay, where instead of having total QUANTITIES of resources available to expend, you could both collect and spend resources at a given RATE. For instance, you could start building a huge experimental unit when you only had 1/10th of the required resources... as long as your rate of collection from all mass and energy generators was faster than the burn rate for building the unit. This allowed you to "over-utilize" your resource collection & storage with unit building and led to a really fluid, moment-by-moment strategy for resource management that was totally engrossing. In SC2, this entire concept is gone. This is a basic "harvest resources first, then spend in one big lump sum" RTS. Nothing like SC or Forged Alliance.

The second factor was the enormous, expansive maps. These environments were phenomenal, with complex terrains giving you both the opportunity and the challenge to design smart defenses. A poor defensive design or poor base layout meant you basically had to start over. It was challenging, engaging, and different than many other RTS games. This feature is completely absent from SC2. The campaigns consist of tiny, localized maps with a single blatantly obvious choke point. Your goal in each is to build up defenses around the choke point. There is literally no challenge in this, no discovery, no strategy; it's pure tactics. Build units, take control of choke point, build defenses at choke point. Anyone who has played a half-decent RTS game in their life will be crestfallen with the unimaginative, challenge-free nature of this game's singleplayer campaign.

The remaining observation are "nits", annoyances that are really obvious and avoidable, but hardwired in to this game. The cut scenes can't be skipped. If you try something non-standard and end up blowing up your ACU or building a crappy base, by far the worst punishment is having to watch the entire cut scene again. Additionally, the game continues running in the background of the cutscene, but you have no control. That's right - meaning - your defenses, your units are fighting away in the background while a lengthy cut scene plays. The enemy could be mowing through a weak point in your defenses and you just watch it for 30 or 60 seconds. By the time you regain control over your forces, it literally may be unsalvageable. The first part is annoying; the second is just ridiculous. Like in a fighting game, having a cutscene where your opponent can keep kicking your ass while you watch it happen. WTF?

If you want a really rudimentary and short RTS, almost as "training wheels" for better games, this would be an advisable choice. Don't buy this if (or because) you played the first one and loved it, and DEFINITELY don't buy this if you're an RTS fan and enjoy a good, interesting challenge. Other than the names of the factions, this is not a Supreme Commander game. It's a generic knock-off. SC fans, wait for SC3. Hopefully somebody will realize that they royally screwed the pooch with this game and make a proper enhancement & elaboration on SC / Forged Alliance, building on the things that made that game stand apart, and truly great, rather than getting rid of everything that differentiated it from the crowd.

Major, serious, indubitable sequel fail.

Now for the obligatory snide remark: my major regret is that I bought this and it counts as a "sale". I don't even care about my wasted money. I just care that I falsely contributed to a statistic that might tell Square Enix execs that they did a good thing here. THAT makes me feel rotten. Seriously, don't support this garbage. Wait for SC3.
on March 3, 2010
Platform for Display: PCVerified Purchase
After playing Supreme Commander 2 all I can say is "Wow". I don't want to repeat what all the other negative reviewers said, but they are all correct. Apparently, what Gas Powered Games was going for on this one was the nostalgic feel of games from 20 years ago. This game takes you back to those happy memories of playing on your Atari or your 286 computer. I didn't believe the other negative reviews that mentioned this, I couldn't believe that my high expectations could be wrong. Seriously, save yourself $39 and just go down the basement and find that old gaming console to get your fix.

I'm getting a kick out of the reviewers who are saying you shouldn't compare this with Supreme Commander and Forged Alliance. Apparently, when you bought "Supreme Commander 2" you should have expected PacMan to load. I know when I bought it I was like "Man, I sure don't expect the prior excellence I've come to expect from this company..." However, had I thought that I wouldn't be so unbelievably disappointed. Yes, it's true, the only way to make this game look good is to not compare it to anything modern that is actually enjoyable to play. Next to World of Warcraft, Dragon Age, and all the other current top games, the only conclusion I can come up with is that their target audience is someone around the age of 5. Otherwise this will totally insult your intelligence.

I could write a book on why you shouldn't buy this game but hey, don't take my word for it, look at all those 1 star votes from once loyal fans of this company.

Oh, and the reviewer that said "Hey, 1 star would be non playable". Lets see... the CD you bought from Amazon isn't playable. You can't play it after you get it for days... You know, I just can't think of another game that you can't play even when you own the CD.

I'm loving the glowing 5 star reviews on release day when NO ONE could get into the game. Yeah, THOSE are legit.
on March 10, 2010
Platform for Display: PCVerified Purchase
I pre ordered this last August on the strength of the previous two games, and the GAS POWERED Games name. It now looks like I paid $40 for a lesson on where the industry is headed. As a result I am going to cancel my other pre-orders until I get feedback on the games. I will be looking for DRM, and game play. If I had the one star reviews posted here, I would not have ordered it. Something is wrong when over ½ your reviews are only 1 star. We wouldn't buy hardware rated this low.

For the life of me I can not understand how anyone can give this game 5 stars and a long dissertation on how great the game is, dated on the release day. Here it is 10pm and I am still waiting for the game to download. I have had 2 blue screen crashes on a Windows 7 machine that has been stable in the past. The last crash reset my download clock from ~80% completed back to 39%.

The 19-5 star ratings that have been posted so far sound and look like they are from the Ad agency. I wonder how much a review is going for now.

I cannot tell you anything about game play because there hasn't been any. The STEAM DRM is a joke. I don't know if Chris Taylor was responsible for the way this game was handled, but I do not plan on buying any future products with his name attached to them. That right, no more money is leaving my pocket, and going into their bottom line. If there is even a hint that they are using STEAM, it makes my decision easier --- DON'T BUY --- I was able to get in a few second of game play, but the screen lockup spoil the gameplay, I have to jump out of the game and then back in every time I wanted to attack.

Square CNIX, Gas Powered Games and Chris Taylor owe everyone who bought this `game' a refund and an apology.

Alienware Computers and AMD needs to cut their ties with these people before they get pulled down too. I have lost respect for them - guilt by association.
on March 22, 2010
Platform for Display: PC
The game has been so completely revamped. All of the features that I found exciting and unique in the first game have been omitted. This game has been remodeled to fit some marketing cookie cutter image. Try the demo if you can. In summary I wish I had played the demo, so I never would have pre-ordered Sup Com 2.