Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games

on March 30, 2010
Just Cause 2 is about the most fun that I have had with a PC game in a while. The graphics are absolutely amazing, view distance, dynamic environments. The look of this game is everything of Far Cry 2, with even more gasps of awesome.

You play the part of Rico Rodriguez, a CIA agent who is about the most physics breaking mass of testosterone I have ever seen. You are dropped into a large, open country to drop an evil dictator out of power by working with several different factions. To do this you have mass amounts of vehicles at your disposal, a multitude of guns and explosives and most importantly, a grappling hook and parachute.

This last part is the best part of the game. Using the hook, you can climb objects, access flying vehicles from the ground, pull people out of air and even tie object together. Tie someone to a barrel and blast the thing into space to see some real fun.

Initially, the game did not impress me. The story and mission parts of the game reminded me of Far Cry 2. Lots of repetition and little development. Then I hit a point where I slammed my car into another car and flew them both off a cliff. Seeing myself falling I decided to use my grappling hook to escape, but only managed to snare another bystander. In the end I opened a parachute and glided to safety all while watching one of the most insane wrecks ever. The game is full of stuff like this. Tie a motorcycle to a car and use it as a wrecking ball. Rope a plane and ride it around just because you can. So many times I found myself asking "Man wouldn't it be cool if I could to this?" Moments later, I did.

At this point I found that the point of the plot and game is actually secondary to the extreme sandbox fun in there. At points of my new found enjoyment, my wife actually thought I lost my mind due to the non-stop laughter and childlike joy radiating out of me. The fun factor of this game is higher than anything I can imagine playing lately. Honestly, this game is pure sandbox first, and an actual game third. Also, your destructive acts are rewarded with guns and vehicles. How many games honestly reward your childlike explosive needs?

As for the lack of XP support, well we saw this coming. Not many people cried that Halo didn't work on windows 3.1, so we really just need to move on here. DirectX 10 will simply not work on XP, and the look and feel of this game is something so amazing that you just need the best to make it happen.

If you are on the fence about getting yet another FPS in a time where they are roaming the earth, get off on this side now. This is not yet another modern day shooter remake, nor are you wandering yet another WW2 battlefield, this is something truly special.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 30, 2011
Just Cause 2 Requires you to play through a program called Steam. Steam is nothing but a connection to the PC gaming community. Steam doesn't effect the game play at all, including Graphics and Frames per second. If you aren't sure about purchasing, you can download the Just Cause 2 demo from Steam itself, which is an accurate representation of how the full game will run. If your having trouble downloading, these are the steps I took.

1)Download Steam from Steam's Website.
2)Purchase the Game from Amazon
3)Instead of using Amazon's Down-loader,go to "Your Amazon Account" and then "Your Games and Software Library". View your Games "Activation Key"
4)Open Steam's Game Library. At the Bottler left corner you will a Option to "ADD a Game". Click on that.
5)Chose To "Activate a product or game" and Insert the Game's Activation key you viewed from Amazon.
6)At this point your download will begin on Steam. The download took me about an hour and a half.

It is a slight drawback using Steam to run Just Cause 2, but believe me the game is worth it. I would recommend this game to anyone in a heart beat.
**I cant Stress this enough. First try out the demo on Steam**
review image review image
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 23, 2011
Weak story, made up for by tons of ways to drag the bad guys around and use them as a human wrecking ball. If that sentence didn't convince you that this game is amazing, then nothing will.

My favorite activity is grappling to a large, upright gas canister, then shooting it as I cling to the side. It shoots into the air, along with me, and just before it explodes, I jump off. It's like BASE jumping, but you can do it from the ground. Loads of fun.

Missions and ways to create chaos get a little repetitive after a while, but you can just mess around with stealing planes and blowing things up if you get bored with the missions.

The real value of this game is its neverending pool of things you can do. Missions and story are secondary to the open nature of the world. If you need a structured experience, this isn't for you. This game is for people who want to see big explosions and do things that we all know are pretty much impossible in real life.
on November 4, 2011
The best game in it's class, but it didn't get the advertisement it deserve. this is a remarkably hi-end graphics, open world shooter, drive and discover, fly and blow up stuff, with great addition, the Almighty garbling hook! you have to play it to know what I am talking about.

Just buy it, don't think twice, you will love it in 2-3 days, and then you will be addicted, for EVER!!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 14, 2011
Excellent game. I am still playing it. Lots of room for exploration, quests galore, and I love the parachutes. Good choice of weapons, vehicles, ect. Only one problem so far, that is I purchased a helicopter with all the money I had left, saved the game at a base I completed and left it there to exit the game altogether. When I restarted the next day, the chopper was GONE! HuH?? Only thing is I destroyed the enemy chopper at the base during the initial fight, and it reappears every time, and I'm thinking, why do I need to buy one? Also, if you beach a boat, it won't be there when you go back for it??? Other than that, it's a fun game that let's you complete the quests in your own way other than a few quirks which all games have. I'd recommend it for an action/strategy shooter enthusiasts.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 1, 2011
Well I've played this game for about 18 hours and it is fun. There are many different vehicles to ride around in and the grappling hook/parachute combo is cool and fun to use. With that said the gameplay does tend to get a little repetitive it seems that you keep doing basically the same things without much variety. I find that I play for about 1-1 1/2 hours at a time and then need to take a break. In addition it feels like the variety of weapons can be better as there is not that much to choose from. Another thing I thought was strange is that you cant seem to climb over things, even if a wall or obstacle is chest high you need to use the grappling hook to get over it which can be a little annoying.

However if you are a fan of games like GTA this game does offer enough to be fun in small doses and the open world is huge and fun to explore. Most of the game is about causing chaos with the main story kind of on the back burner (you dont have to do the main story if you dont want to) but blowing things up is always fun.
on September 20, 2010
If you like to make things explode, you will absolutely love Just Cause 2.
I spent countless hours playing as Scorpio,Sky diving off mountains, hi-jacking airplanes, and stunt driving a motercycle into tanks filled with enemy mercenary. The games "sandbox" style makes sure you are not held back by boring missions. Sometimes you just want to make things go *boom* just for the heck of it. That, of course, doesnt mean there is no story to the game. There are faction and stories missions as the game progresses that you can start on your own time. Some of them are a cake walk while others.. are a bit frusterating :D
Also, the game has hundreds of different locations to find across a huge virtual world. You will find it hard to become bored when there is something new to discover around every corner. The hidden easter eggs are an added bonus. These are special secrets to find in the game when your are feeling adventurous. I wont got into detail, but if you are a fan of the just ended TV series "LOST" you will find something totally awesome in the top right corner of your map *wink wink.*

All in all, this game is a great sandbox shooter with beautiful graphics that makes sure you are never without something to detonate. Five starts, all the way xD
on October 3, 2011
Just Cause 2

Pros

* Amazing open world gameplay.
* The game looks beautiful.
* Very fun to play.
* Plenty of side missions to complete. And when I say plenty I do mean PLENTY.

Cons

* While the number side missions is plenty, it is VERY repetitive. You'll find yourself doing the same things over and over again.
* Very short and weak story.

Score

3.5/5
on April 17, 2013
First off, most people (including famous video game personalities) LOVE this game. It's not necessarily the most engrossing story and certainly doesn't employ the highest quality textures. But Just Cause 2 has a personality unlike any other game on the market. It is most definitely the farthest thing from being linear as you can play the game however you like - play the story missions, do the faction missions, focus on finding armor parts, discover all the cities, find the airports, creep around on the "Lost" island, drive all the cool cars and see what happens when you drive them off cliffs.

There's just SO much this game offers! While it is one of those games where you're encouraged to go blow stuff up and cause chaos, you could spend hours doing just that. To reach the 99% completion mark, the player has to spend hours doing all the stuff. There's some crazy number of weapons, vehicle, and armor parts that need to be collected. I forget what it is exactly, but it is well over 1000 for sure.

But it's not even so much about the hours spent playing the game. Hundreds of hours can (and often are) spent just goofing around doing random stuff. And it is crazy the situations you sometimes find yourself, from driving tanks to falling off skyscrapers. But like I said earlier, Just Cause 2 has character. It's not the kind of random stuff like in Saint's Row 3; Just Cause 2 is filled with much cleaner randomness that wouldn't make parents cringe...

With all that said, Just Cause 2 is a masterpiece with no comparable gaming experience. Military FPS games have many standards and competitors. Futuristic shooters have competitors with comparable games. And although there are great games coming out today that have few comparable games, like Far Cry 3, Minecraft, etc., a Just Cause 2 fan will class it with no other games to date. It is in a league of its own, one where it must be 9 pounds of awesome in a 3 pound bag!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The Good: Looks amazing, grappling hook+parachute=superb fun, high octane story missions, lots of weapons and vehicles, huge open world

The Bad: Getting around is boring and a pain, needs Xbox controller to play well, wonky physics, boring side missions, repetitive after about 4 hours, some elements just work against you, crappy story

Sandbox games can be really fun because it lets you do what you want to do with the shovel and bucket the developers give you. Of course the sand itself has to be interesting, and it is in Just Cause 2, but it feels like the game is always working against itself in ironic ways. The story is pretty much not there at all. You play as Scorpio who is sent to Panau to find an American guy, and yeah, that's about it. Even the voice acting is iffy, but you'll be tossing the story aside and enjoying the fun instead.

The game is huge with lots of islands to explore, but my biggest gripe is getting there. You can call in vehicles from your black market buddy for a price, but shouldn't unlocked vehicles be free? If you destroy that vehicle and you're still 10 kilometers away from you destination you're pretty much screwed to driving around and that gets very boring. Don't ever drop a plane in a city street because if it gets stuck you're $30k is wasted since you can't back it up. Sure you can dual hook it to a large vehicle to correct it, but this is tedious and insanely stupid. The driving is pretty frustrating, and I would restart missions dozens of times just because I couldn't control the car well enough.

You can also upgrade your vehicles with parts you find during missions as well as upgrading weapons. The whole transportation thing is kind of solved with an extraction option, but you must have discovered the area first. You can use your grappling hook to cover long distances on foot and pretty much use it for everything from tethering enemies to cars and dragging them around to pulling guys off bikes. You can tether to any surface and it's got a huge distance of about 100 meters. This is good for scaling buildings as well, but use your parachute to for awesome Hollywood type stunts.

You can get out of a vehicle and ride on top or hang around and this is good when chasing people in cars or in the air. About to crash? Jump into another car, not another car around? Grapple to the next one. This can be great fun if you use your imagination, but that's the furthest the thrills get in JC2. The gun play is pretty weak and while they pack a punch there's no aiming system, and weapon selection is a bit confusing. You can toss grenades and there is a good variety of weapons, but it could have been better implemented.

The missions aren't too exciting especially the side missions, and the only other type are races to earn money. You unlock different mission types by causing chaos, and you can also unlock weapons and vehicles as well. The main missions are what are the most exciting, but there's only seven of them, and the game relies too heavily on boring side missions. While this doesn't sound too terrible it's not, but after awhile say 4-8 hours into the game you really get tired of it.

The game looks amazing with DX10, but the physics are a little glitchy. I also highly recommend using an Xbox 360 controller for Windows since the keyboard and mouse combo suck for this type of game, and are really frustrating. Yeah try controlling a car WSAD style and using X as the handbrake. I know you can re-configure the controls, but it feels the game was built for the controller. Cars are easier to control, and it just feels tighter this way. The game just feels a bit too generic and could have had a lot more character and depth, but what we have is way better than the first game, and a lot to build on in Just Cause 3.