5.0 out of 5 stars Excellant for the price

3.0 out of 5 stars Works great if it fits together
Published 24 months ago by jesse

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellant for the price, August 5, 2010
Silver Fox (Las Vegas, NV USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Square Perfect 1040 SP2000 Backdrop Background Support Stand for Muslins Scenic Backdrops and Chromakey Green/Blue Screens (Camera)
I am just getting into photography as a hobby and I didn't know really what to expect when it came to a backdrop stand. I did some research locally, online and a lot on amazon. I decided on this item because of the description of the materials and the construction (it's as advertised). I have been more then satisfied with the stands and crossbar, the stands sit solidly on their tripods and the crossbar supports a 10 foot wide backddrop without any bend or sag.

Everything fits together well, it is not difficult for one person to assemble (unassisted) and instructions were included, though really not necessary. Everything breaks down and stores nicely in a protective carrying case (included) and transports easily. I don't know if it would qualify for a professional, but it sure meets my needs and the price was excellant for the quality I received.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprised and very pleased with this setup.., September 27, 2010
So I'm an amateur photographer, I don't have a ton of money and I need a backdrop support......hmmm lots of choices.....big difference in prices. Well from what I have seen from this setup so far I can say for my money this is exceptional. The stands are sturdy, spring loaded, and easy to set up. The stands and crossbars came neatly packaged in a nice carrying bag that held all of the pieces separately to prevent them from banging together. I would recommend this kit to anyone looking for a backdrop that is on a budget. Buy one !

3.0 out of 5 stars Works great if it fits together, October 30, 2012
This product is just so-so. I am not a photographer, my sister is and I bought this for her. It comes in a really sturdy carrying bag, and all the parts are good quality...they must be in order to survive my sister. The stands have springs inside to absorb the impact if you close the poles to fast. This is a feature I am told is usually only available on more expensive models. The 3 piece side extensions lock securely by turning the twist locks, and once snugged will not drop until you loosen them. The base provides a wide enough stance that they will not tip over without being so big you will be tripping on them constantly. The top rails are well made, being constructed of steel tubing and aluminum inserts. It was these aluminum inserts that dropped my rating to three stars. There are a total of four crossbars that slide together and a simple quarter turn is supposed to lock them in place. The two end bars worked fine, they only fit in their respective positions. The two middle bars were not manufactured correctly and would not turn to lock together. I did not return the product because it was something I could easily fix with a file and my sister did not want to wait for replacements. About 10 minutes and I had them working like they are supposed to.

Overall, my sister is very happy with this product (now that it has been fixed). If you get a set that was manufactured correctly they will provide years of use. They are sturdy enough to support even heavy canvas without collapsing or tipping over. They come apart easily for storage and transport in the included bag, and they assemble in about a minute.
However, if you get a bad set like I did and have no way to fix them yourself they will be almost useless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, BUT..., January 5, 2011
This is an impressive item for the price. The duffel bag is cleverly designed and well made, and assembling the parts is straightforward. Unfortunately, however, one of my horizontal rods is defective and cannot be properly inserted into another rod. This renders the entire set-up unusable.

I have emailed the manufacturer (not the Amazon seller, but the manufacturer), and am hoping for a speedy resolution to this problem. I will update.

UPDATE: It has been almost 24 hours since I emailed Square Perfect (they do not provide a phone number, just an email address), and I have not heard anything back. I am a bit disappointed since it is the work-week, and it is not Christmas-time or some other holiday.

UPDATE: The manufacturer put me in touch with the seller. Even though we had some email glitches (no one's fault), we got things straightened out and I am waiting for a replacement piece to arrive. Overall very happy with the manufacturer's and seller's support.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful stand, March 21, 2011
This stand is my second stand purchased from amazon. The first one was a different brand and was horrible. After returning it and looking more, I bought this one. This one is absolutely wonderful. It's extremely easy to set up. I am a 5'8" female and had no issues at all. It took maybe 5-10 mins. I would agree with other users that the bag is wonderful. Different departments for the bars and very well thought out.

If you are thinking about buying a photography stand, get this one. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful product!, June 21, 2010
I purchased this background stand over 2 years ago and it still works like new. It is very sturdy, easy to set-up and break-down and is very portable. The carrying bag is well-constructed also, keeping each part from banging and scratching the other parts without additional wrapping. I was very impressed by the quality of this product especially given the amount of money I was able to spend at the time of purchase. I have recommended this stand to my photographer friends and promised they wouldn't be disappointed!

4.0 out of 5 stars Plesantly Surprised :), April 12, 2011
This backdrop Support Stand is much heavier duty than I was expecting for the price. It went together nice and was easy to figure out the first time. The case that comes with has a nice design, pockets for end stands and straps for all the supports. I searched high and low for the best value, I am just starting out with photography and dont have much money for all the necessities. Great item for the price! Only one downfall, it doesnt come with clamps for the backdrops (but I should've known this if I read through the desc carefully!).

1.0 out of 5 stars Already broken after 2 uses, August 27, 2013
One of the stands won't close down anymore, its stuck in the extended position. The plastic knob just rotates without being able to loosen the grip so i can close the stand down. Now its stuck in full extended position. I can't travel with it in this position.

I've only used this thing TWICe now and its just junk

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly easy to setup, excellent product, December 25, 2010
Case:
Nicely organized with elastic bands to hold each cross bar section in place so there's no clinking noise or scratching of poles. Outer sides of the case have pockets to store each stand. Everything zips nicely together with securing clips at each end.

Cross Bar:
Comprised of 4 segments, each slides into the next and is locked in when turned slightly. The bars can be assembled as a set of 2, 3 or 4 to alter the width of the backdrop. Only 2 of the bars can be used for attachment to the tripods, the remaining 2 can only be used in the middle of the assembly.

Stands:
Each stand is made as 1 moving piece. To open the tripod the center knob is loosened and the legs are pulled out/apart from each other in a single movement. The height is altered in 2 segments, each is spring loaded. When loosening their respective knobs, if the bars drop, instead of slamming down they'll bounce when they reach the bottom.

This stand is an excellent product, especially for the price. It's very quick and easy to assemble (even by one person) and folds down into a compact bag for storage or easy transport.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor quality, June 18, 2013
I ordered this on May 7, and set it up as soon as it arrived. I take tons of pictures of my baby so I just left it set up in my living room along with my Savage white seamless paper. Well, we're moving to a new place next month so I decided to take the stands and the backdrop down. Lo, and behold, one of the screws on of the of the stands broke when I tightened it, so now I can no longer use this stand. It broke that easy. I was going to return it, but the return window expired on June 9, so I guess this will just be sitting in the storage. What a waste of $70!!!