Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation Learn more

on June 14, 2013
SquareTrade has stiffed me. My complaint to the BBB follows:

On Oc. 24, 2010, I purchased a three-year warranty from Squaretrade for $31.99 covering a new GPS device; TomTom XXL540. The coverage included the Accident provision.

On Apr. 21, 2013, I submitted a claim the issue being that the battery would not hold a charge. They sent an acknowledgment and said a label was attached. One was not. On 4/22 I advised them of that.

Apr. 25; Received and email from SqTr that on 4/24 (that's correct), a shipping kit had been delivered to my address. It had and I sent the GPS on 4/25.

May 9: Received the GPS with NEW screen damage and, otherwise, in the same malfunctioning condition as caused the claim. I advised SqTr.

May 14: Received email from SqTr advising that a shipping kit would be sent for the return of the GPS.

May 20: Received a phone call from the SqTr repair facility asking what was wrong with the GPS. I told them it wouldn't hold a charge. We exchanged questions and answers and they said that they would send a shipping kit as one had not been sent (see May 14). I updated SqTr and they replied on 5/23.

May 25: The following from SqTr.: "In reviewing your account, I found that we received your item originally on 04/24/2013 and it was repaired by 05/01/2013 which fulfills our 5 days service guarantee. However, since you mentioned that the unit was not repaired correctly, we have filed a rework for you and requested the repair shop to resend you the packing for you to return the unit back to them for repair. Please note that if the repair shop determines that the item cannot be repaired we will simply reimburse the price of your item. However, if the item can be fixed, it would be returned to you once the rework is completed."

May 30: I advised SqTr that I had sent the GPS on Saturday, 5/25.

June 3: I emailed a request for a status update on the repair or replacement of the GPS.

June 4: I called SqTr's warranty help line and the only thing they could tell me was that the repair place had the GPS. I emailed SqTr for and update.

June 7: I emailed for a status update. I received a call from the service facility requesting that I send my car charger. I explained that the car charger has nothing to do with the device's battery not being able to hold a charge and, besides, I use a mains charger to replenish the GPS. I sent an email to SqTr requesting the immediate repair and return of my device or the replacement price per contract.

June 8: Received email from SqTr that the repair facility would call needing the car charger. I wrote back that they do not need it (see 6/7).

June 10: Email to SqTr: "Please return my device fully repaired or a check covering the purchase price."

June 11: Email to SqTr: "Kindly either return my device fully repaired or issue a check. No more delays. Okay?"

June 12 (evening): Email to SqTr: "RETURN OR BUY MY GPS."

It is now 2p PDT, June 12, and there have been no replies. Kindly encourage SqTr to fulfill their obligation.
55 comments|33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 16, 2014
If I could leave zero stars I would. We purchased a GPS device on 12/24/2012 and also purchased a 2 year protection plan for $9.98. Now the screen is cracked and we are told this is not covered on the plan we purchased! They did offer a prorated refund for the last 3 months of coverage still on the broken device--how generous??? This was the only plan offered through an online purchase and we definitely would not have paid a penny for it if we had been advised upfront of the limitation. The reason they 'have the best rating' is people leave a ratings BEFORE they need to use the service!!! In looking at replacing the device we noted that the option to purchase this USELESS insurance is $10.31 and the advertisement clearly states coverage for drops and spills is included. Just be careful the drop does not crack the screen!!!
on November 28, 2013
Let's face it, nobody ever uses an extended warranty. Out of all the reviews for this product, only one reviewer has actually filed a claim. I'm no different. All I can do is review my experience with buying and registering. So, here it is:

PRO: I got the email to register the day after I purchased, quick!

CON: I clicked on the link to register, entered my email and desired password. I got an error saying the warranty had already been registered to another email, and to call an 800 number if I thought this was a mistake. Call? Really? How 1980s. I don't call, I don't go to stores, I make all my purchases online, in my underwear, swilling beer. And, they're delivered to my door the next day. If they're gonna let somebody else register my warranty, I'm just gonna click the refund button. I'm not calling anybody.

Almost a PRO: After clicking the refund button, I thought maybe their online process is just FUBAR, and if I log in, maybe I can regeister the warranty manually. So, I logged in. I found that my warranty was already registered to MY email, not somebody else's email. This would have been a PRO, having it already set up, if they hadn't sent me an email telling me to finish the process, then told me it was already registered to somebody else.

PRO: Finishing the registration was easy.

CON: Finisthing the registration was so ridiculously easy, the fact that they sent me an email with a link that told me my warranty was already registered to another email, when it was actually registered to my email automatically, is so farging stupid that it deserves a second CON. This is the only reason I canceled and asked for a refund. They would still have my twelve bucks, and I would never use the warranty since nobody ever does, if they hadn't done this.

PRO: After I finished the registration, I went back to Amazon and clicked the Cancel Refund button. The next time I checked my email, I had an email from the warranty company saying my refund had been processed and would be credited to my credit card. That was quick! I had another email saying the refund had already been done, and to call... What? Call? Really? I don't think so. At least the refund was really quick.
on November 22, 2013
Well I set the plan up when I bought the gps. Then when you get it you have to register the gps. Of course there was a problem so they give you a 1-800 number to call and put you hold for ever. I got tired of waiting I help run a company I do not have time for this. If they can come up with a one step process I might think of buying the plan again. Every time I ever bought a warranty plan it turns out to be not worth it.
on December 5, 2014
While I have not actually used it yet, I have set up a destination to see how well it was going work. I was satisfied with the results. As far as the 2-year accident protection plan goes, we'll to wait and see. Hopefully I'll never use it.
on November 8, 2014
I purchased a Toshiba television less then 3 months ago and I am having problems with the television already. I have been in contact with customer service on several occasions and have received a replacement remote (in an attempt to rectify the matter), but this did not rectify the matter. I now have to take my television to a Toshiba manufacturer to have it repaired. The manufacturer is not able to provide me with an approximate timeframe in which I will be without a television. Toshiba's other suggestion was for me to ship the television to Toshiba and they will have it repaired and mailed back to me. However, they were also not able to provide me with a timeframe in which this process would occur.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 1, 2015
Disappointed that I went through the process of registering a product I bought as a gift, and sending a transfer, only to have to forward the receipt on to the recipient, (required for them to register it).. Next time I will probably just take my chances, I am sure that the watch iteself has a warranty on its own.. Seems like to much work, and money for an additional year of coverage.
on December 10, 2014
Like any protection or insurance plan, there is no way to know whether this is any good until/unless you are in the position to have to use it. I will say that I bought this to cover my son's new GPS Christmas present, and when I had difficulty finding the policy number to include with the GPS and emailed the company, they were very prompt in responding and getting me that information. So based on that, they seem to be responsive.
on July 22, 2013
reasonable price for the product offered; coming from Germany one wonders anyway why a company who offers 2 years full guarantee for a GPS in Germany does not do this in the USA as well; so using this product to cover a GPS seems reasonable for the USA at least from the US-perspective. Hope I never need this protection...
VINE VOICEon January 21, 2014
I am totally sold on the Square Trade plans. Though I have never had to use my plans, a friend of mine bought one, on my advise and used it. He had a flat screen which starting giving him problems after about 6 months. After trying to fix it twice, on the third time, Square Trade gave him a check for the cost of the set. It was no hassle and no threatening or begging to get service. My son has also used the warranty and found it great. I highly recommend Square Trade.