5.0 out of 5 stars Questionable start but impressed at the end
Published on September 25, 2012 by K.M.

1.0 out of 5 stars Things to consider before purchase
Published 8 months ago by M. Jurgensen

1.0 out of 5 stars Things to consider before purchase, July 4, 2014
This review is from: SquareTrade 2-Year iPhone Accident Protection Warranty (All iPhone Models) (Wireless Phone)
We have this plan on 3 iPhone 5S phones. The problem started with the first claim. Shortly after purchasing one of the phones, the screen was shattered. To Square Trade's credit, a replacement phone was sent promptly. Unfortunately, the replacement phone was defective and returned for replacement. The second replacement phone worked for a while, but developed an audio problem - again promptly replaced ... but now, it too is defective (bad battery). We took the phone to Apple for a more immediate solution (the phone is required for work) and Apple immediately pointed out that the phone had been sold in China (S.N. id'd that according to them) and they would not work on it. We filed a claim with Square trade - but, "we do not have iphones to ship you" was their answer. They are offering to pay the repair bill or we can return the phone to them for repair. OK, that's kind of a warranty, but all advertisement leads to believe a replacement phone is available ASAP. Here's the bottom line for me: if your new iPhone is replaced by Square Trade during the 1 yr Apple warranty period, you have most likely voided the 1 year warranty with Apple. The replacement phones are potentially junk which causes more problems and when it's all said and done, you may not get your phone repaired in the time frame you were expecting. In hindsight, I might consider purchasing an extended warranty AFTER the Apple warranty expires, but certainly not before. The quality of the replacement phones is questionable so consider this before you purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Questionable start but impressed at the end, September 25, 2012
I had a two year warranty on my iPhone 4 and after about a year and a half my home button didn't always work when I pushed it. I dealt with it for a while but decided to file a claim since I paid for the warranty. I will say that everything was relatively painless through Squaretrade's website, from filing the claim to keeping track of its progress. I received an email almost instantly that my claim was approved and that a replacement iPhone was on its way next day air. However, I was charged the $50 deductible (for accidental coverage). I called and the CS rep reversed that right away for me, stating that the home button issue was a hardware problem, not an accident. I received the replacement the following day. Again, it was painless.

I activated the new phone and realized that it made a horrible rattling sound when it vibrated, it sounded like something inside was loose. Putting pressure on the back of the phone stopped the rattling. I called Squaretrade back, explained, and was assured that usually there isn't any issues with the refurbished units and they were sending a replacement "replacement" next day air.

After receiving the 2nd refurbished phone, I activated it and there was no rattling, it looked pretty good...until I noticed that the camera lens on the back was loose and had a hairline crack. Back onto the phone I went...this time I actually asked the CS rep if it was possible to just forget my claim and I'd just keep my original phone (which I did not send them back yet at this point) and the lady I spoke with was very kind and convinced me to give it one last shot and if the 3rd replacement was bad, they'd give me the full pay out of the phone, $599.99. I agreed, hoping the 3rd time was the charm.

Now I had 3 phones, I sent the 2 replacement s back and waited for the 3rd. The 3rd one arrived (this all happened very quickly, over a one week period) and I decided to check it over really well, at this point I was skeptical. It didn't rattle, but the camera lens on the back was again loose and crooked, you could feel the glass edge where it was sunken down on one side. Some may say I am too picky, but I disagree. After waiting forever for Verizon to carry the iPhone, I babied that phone so much that mine was in perfect condition...minus the tempermental home button. All I wanted was a comparable replacement. I wasn't willing to accept the poorly installed lens over my original phone, so I called Squaretrade back yet again and asked what the next step was. I figured if the next rep wasn't as nice as the last one and didn't want to honor her word about paying me out, I would just keep my original phone. The rep I got was great though, and said that they would pay me out. He took down my Paypal info and told me to send the 3rd replacement back and that I would get an email for the original phone and to send that in. He said that the process shouldn't take more than 3-5 business days.

I got the label (next day UPS) and reluctantly mailed them my phone. I will admit I was very nervous about sending in my phone, and it was an inconvenience not to have a phone at all for a few days. In the end I wasn't able to replace my iPhone with the same model because Apple released the new iPhone 5 and changed the storage sizes on the 4's to only 8GB. I had a 16GB so I wasn't willing to spend the same price for half the storage and I wasn't due for an upgrade. I decided to pay $50 out of pocket and brave the lines at the Verizon store on iPhone 5 launch day. I ended up with a brand new iPhone 5.

So, all in all, I think the warranty was well worth the price and despite some bumps along the way during my claim, Squaretrade held up their end of the bargain and in my opinion went above and beyond. They never argued with me and all 4 CS reps I spoke to were courteous, sympathetic, and very willing to help come to a solution for me. I will probably be purchasing another 2 year warranty on my new iPhone because I am a very satisfied customer. Thank you Squaretrade, I'm impressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars I cracked my IPhone 4, September 21, 2010
I cracked my IPhone 4 and I was so glad that I had purchased the insurance. I placed my claim, forwarded the necessary proof of purchase, received confirmation from Square Trade to take my phone into the Apple store for a replacement phone. The replacement price was $199 and once I was able to fax over a receipt for the new phone, Square Trade transferred $199 into my Pay Pal account. I received the money a couple of days after faxing over the receipt. I had a chose of having the money transferred on to my Amazon account, Pay Pal account, or a physical check mailed to me. I am glad that I purchased the insurance and I would recommend that others purchase insurance to protect their investment.

1.0 out of 5 stars !!!!! WARNING !!!!! Better read this before buying!!!!, December 18, 2014
!!!! WARNING !!!!

I would think twice, three and four times about buying a warrantee from Square Trade. I have several warrantees through them, 2 iPad Air's, 2 TV's and an iPhone 6 Plus. I called Square Trade regarding the contract they emailed me and the coverage limit of $599 on my iPhone 6 Plus 64GB. I informed them that this would not be sufficient to cover the replacement of the phone should it break and wanted it increased to the limit they have on their own web page of $849. He asked me where I purchased my phone and I told him AT&T. He informed that Square Trade will not honor a warrantee purchased on Amazon if the product (phone, TV etc) was not purchased on Amazon. I could find nothing on Amazon's sales page stating this.

So unsuspecting consumers send in their receipt clearly showing that the product was not purchased on Amazon and Square Trade happily accepts it and send a confirmation email that your receipt was received and their web site indicate that you indeed have a warrantee but....when the day comes that you may need to collect on that warrantee, it will be denied if you did not purchase the warranted item on Amazon. Supposedly this is a change they have made within the past 6 months but again, there is nothing on Amazon's web site to indicate this.

As I explained to the representative, probably 85 to 90% of the people who buy their warrantee will never have occasion to use it. So they will have effectively taken money for warrantees they have no intention of honoring. He apoligized that it is not clearly stated on Amazon's web page, to which I replied that it is not that it is not "clearly" stated on the page, it is "not stated at all".

Also, and this is very important, unlike most purchases we make, most people purchasing a cell phone pay a discounted amount and sign a 2 year contract. Of course your receipt will indicate the discounted price you paid, not the full price of the phone. I was told by the Square Trade representative that the maximum they will pay out is the amount indicated on your receipt. Buyer beware!

As I said, I would be very weary of purchasing anything from a company with these business ethics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brought Apple & AT&T reps to the Squaretrade way of thinking, April 8, 2013
I have a Iphone 4S that developed a wifi problem, so I went to the Apple store to have it tested. It could not be repaired and was past the factory warranty coverage, but still covered by my Squaretrade warranty. I began telling the Apple rep about my Squaretrade warranty(which he had never heard of). The Apple service representative then told me that I could buy a new 4S for $199.00, and told me that he hoped that all worked out well with Squaretrade. So I asked him if he would wait while I called Squaretrade and he said yes. So after a short wait the Squaretrade rep told me to purchase the phone and he would start the claim process immediately if I could text him the copies of my original and new phone receipts. The process so impressed the Apple rep that he started asking about contact info, so that he could inquire about Squaretrade for himself. I then went to the AT&T store to change my plan and told the rep there about what had just happened. He then asked the same questions about Squaretrade (very quietly) and that he also was interested for his own phone coverage. As for me, Squaretrade paid my claim fast and with no hassles at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great insurance!, April 12, 2011
xosh (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
Apple iPhone breaks. And t is really frustrating when you break one when you still have the contract.
I recently broke mine and was covered by SquareTrade.
I paid $50 upfront to SquareTrade and they sent me instructions on how to repair the iPhone.
It was basically, go to the nearest Apple store, ask for replacement (which is $199+tax) pay for it and send the receipt to SquareTrade for full refund.
I did that and within a day I got the full amount refunded to me.

You don't have to go through a complex repair process such as sending the damaged item to them, wait for estimation, wait to get it repaired, wait to receive it back.
It is just simple. File an online claim ($50 payment required), receive the replacement approved by email, bring the damaged item, get a new one at Apple Retail Store (payment required), and get a refund for the payment you made at the Apple Retail Store.

5.0 out of 5 stars Didn't play games, October 2, 2013
I'm a square trade warranty junky. I have several and my mom has so many I think they're going to start sending her xmas presents. I haven't had to cash in on many, but in one week I had to cash in on TWO. Embarrassing. Since this review is specifically for the iPhone warranty, let me say that I literally was fighting down bile in my stomach in fear that I was going to follow their instructions (go to apple, get the new phone, send them the receipt, they would pay me back for it) and they were going to come up with something, some minor little detail, that went wrong and then make me eat the cost of the phone. Nope, that didn't happen at all. I just sent in the receipt and BAM! Money in my amazon account (because you get an extra 5% back if you go that route and I buy everything on amazon anyway :) ). I HIGHLY recommend square trade. Not only that, I have three more opportunities to turn my phone in on this particular warranty, so I'm not panicking if something goes wrong. I know they'll take care of me *again.* Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent service after my phone was heavily damaged., October 18, 2014
I just had to use the my warranty on an Iphone 5S and I am very happy with this company. I nearly always shy away from extended warranty's but I will tell you this was a very good experience with square trade. The phone was dropped onto concrete from a balcony and was very damaged. When I went to submit a claim they asked on the form if I would like a replacement mailed, repair, or go to the apple store.I live near and apple store so I chose that option and paid my $50 deductible. Less than 1 day later that request was approved and the next day I went into the apple store. The approval email said to make an appointment to get the phone repaired or replaced and to send them the bill. They gave me several options on payment including my paypal account, mail a check, or a credit to amazon.com. I choose paypal.

The replacement with apple cost $290.53 which I charged and requested the apple tech email me a copy of the receipt. I literally emailed square trade a copy of my receipt tonight and less than 1 hour later I received a payment for $290.53 in my paypal account.

Now I understand the insurance cost $99 in my case with a $50 deductible. I just saved a good chunk of money and I still have the warranty in place in case I need to use it. In addition I experienced great service which let me tell you is something DRASTICALLY MISSING in most business models. Heck the cell phone and cable companies are like dealing with the devil him self!

If you want a warranty I will say I am happy with this company based on this experience.

1.0 out of 5 stars I pay insurance up front because I want it to be quick and easy, No so with Square Trade, December 23, 2014
jamesknot (California, USA) - See all my reviews
I have had two claims for the iphones I own through SquareTrade. Both have been substandard due to the difficultly with disconnecting the 'find my iphone app" The first time it was operator error. So this is on me.
This last time was a nightmare. They wouldn't take the iphone back due to the "find my iphone" app being on. But it didn't show that it was on both on the phone and icloud account. So I had to take it to the Apple store who took it back. I paid $99 for the policy, $50 deductible for the claim and paid $200 at Apple to be reimbursed via Paypal later. I followed all the instructions for the refund and was promised it would be reimbursed through paypal in two days.. It took some time and I was not reimbursed until I called to complain. Their service person was not professional. I hope their are better guarantee programs out there because I will be skipping Square Trade in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars sceptic at first, but definitely worth it, March 13, 2013
Initially when I purchased my iPhone 5, I was very worried about dropping my phone, and how I would handle the situation. I originally did not purchase apple care due to the fact that the price was kind of high ($99 before taxes) as well as the $50 deductible for each incident. Also, apple's warranty is for two years I believe, that only allows for two incidents. I just thought to myself before I jump the gun for apple care, let me check for something (because you have to purchase warranty within 30 days of purchase of the phone). I heard from numerous peers about square trade, and when I looked it up, they are highly reputable. In terms of accidental damage, they cover four incidents for two years, as well the price is ($124 but they always have sales and you can usually get it for 99$ before taxes). Also, what really sold me is the fact that you can avoid a deductible fee if you return your phone to the apple store directly. The only downside about it is that you have to pay for the phone first, but squaretrade will reimburse you in a timely fashion, for me it took less than a week. They reimburse you with three different options: 1. Paypal and they cover fees so you get exactly how much you spent on the phone back into your paypal which you can then transfer to your bank account. 2. Amazon credit with 5% bonus credit (i think this is what the rep told me) 3. Check. I chose paypal and it was very quick they say 3-5 days to be in your paypal, it took 3 days for me then to transfer to my account took like 5 days. You can read all the benefits of square trade vs. apple care, and I assure you that they are true and that square trade is well worth it. I got lucky and bought square trade during the super bowl, they had 49% off and I paid $70. From what I've seen they always have sales that lowers the price by $30.

tl;dr (square trade)
4 incidents for 2 years as compared to apples 2 incidents for 2 years
no deductible if you bring the phone into an apple store and purchase the new phone there
SALES! majority of the time its always cheaper than apple care