1,675 Reviews

Published on April 20, 2010 by J. R. Guidry

3.0 out of 5 stars Squaretrade Warranty
Published on May 13, 2010 by George A. Annarella

3.0 out of 5 stars Squaretrade Warranty, May 13, 2010
I purchased the squaretrade 2 year warranty for my camera purchased on E bay. The camera mal functioned after one year and square trade fixed the camera with out a problem. Afer many, many and I mean many photos taken the camera it mal functioned again, I called squaretrade to have it repaired again under the warranty, but they refused stating the cost of the repair exceeded the cost of the camera, 1st repair was $ 135.00 cost to square trade, and they would not repair or replace it again. They only thing they could do is send me a check for the difference of the original cost of the camera less the 1 st repair cost which was about $ 22.00. So read the fine print, this is not an unlimited warranty! I was a little disappointed. The rep on the phone stated that the comera should have not been repaired the 1st time because of the high cost of repair compared to the cost of the camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kodak M1033 Digital Camera, April 20, 2010
I bought a Kodak M1033 digital camera on eBay and decided it would be a good idea to take a warranty on it thru Square Trade as I use the camera for my eBay auctions to attach pictures. I bought this camera about 8 months ago. I have another couple of warranties with Square Trade and haven't had to use any of them until now. As with most electronics, they sometimes break or start going bad after a short while so a warranty is a good idea, especially when you buy an item on eBay that doesn't have a warranty. I contacted Square Trade about my dead camera and they recommended I send it back to them so their Product Specialists could confirm what I told them what was wrong with my camera. After receiving my camera they assessed it and confirmed the camera had a faulty internal problem. An email was sent to me from Square Trade stating they had finished assessing my claim and that I was eligible for a full payout. They sent 100% of my money to my PayPal account (within 24 hours) that I paid for my camera. After receiving my money I went back to eBay and bought another brand new Kodak M1033 camera. It hasn't arrived yet but when it does I will surely take another warranty thru Square Trade. The warranties from Square Trade are very reasonable and are better and cheaper than you can get at a retail outlet. I highly recommend Square Trade for all your warranty needs. They are a top shelve company with a no hassle commitment to their customers. I have nothing but praise for the Square Trade team.
J. R. Guidry

1.0 out of 5 stars BETTER THAN NOTHING???, June 9, 2010
Don't believe everything they publish! It seems there are always caveats to every situation. I made an online claim which was approved for refund and when I pointed out that they had offered a refund for the wrong camera they then said I would have to wait until a box and shipping label was sent and the camera would then be repaired. That took a week, so much for the '5 day policy'. I returned the camera in the box provided and after three phone calls was able to determine they had received it a week later, two weeks so far! After four more telephone calls I found out they were going to repair it not refund as originally stated. The expected repair time five to ten business days. When I go online to check on status they say no information is available to please call. I "may" get a "refurbished"(contrary to what they say) camera back some time in the future but who knows? They may decide that despite the so called drop and slip rider that the damage doesn't qualify and they will then return the damaged camera at my expense. In any event the 5 day guarantee has turned into a five week guarantee.

Buyer Beware!! You may think you are protected but consider hiring a lawyer when you submit your claim. If your item costs less than $250 it's probably a good deal and you will get your money back, but more than that save your money and be cautious with your item, even if they repair it who knows how well qualified they are on specialized electronic components and how good a job they will due. Oh! don't forget that once you get it back your warranty is over.

1.0 out of 5 stars Read Carefully before buying!, November 7, 2011
Seems like a great idea when buying a digital camera, right?! Well, read the policy VERY careful before buying - when my camera was damaged by moisture they refused to cover it. Just because it says "Drops + Spills" doesn't mean it covers getting your camera wet!

1.0 out of 5 stars 5-day guarantee, huh. If life insurance had this clause..., November 10, 2011
Alex (Ann Arbor, Michigan) - See all my reviews
I see all these positive reviews because a representative calls you after you buy the warranty. Does that warrant giving a 5-star rating?

5-day guarantee... sounds very impressive... but here is the not so fine print... what is my recourse if they sit on it for longer than 5 days... I get back the cost of my warranty.

"Our 5-day service guarantee We will reimburse OR fix and ship back your iPad within 5 business days of receiving it at the depot. If it takes longer, let us know and we'll be happy to refund the cost of your warranty."

So they can sit on the repair for longer than 5 days, and then you can have the cost of your warranty back. So I buy a life insurance policy, and I die, and the company refunds my wife the premiums that I paid? That sounds like real insurance. So basically they keep all the premiums when there are no claims, and refund the "premiums" when you file a claim.

Not to mention that each time they "attempt" a repair that cost comes right off the top of the total warranty liability they have. So if you purchased something for $400, you get it repaired once, they can say the cost of the repair was $300. It breaks again, or they don't fix it right, you send it in again and they say it can't be fixed so now you get back $100 remaining back $400 - $300 = $100. Or they take longer than 5 days and they give you back your premium.

Doesn't sound very "square" trade to me... more like "screw" trade.

5.0 out of 5 stars I would certainly recommend Square Trade to friends...., December 19, 2011
I purchased this warranty for the Christmas present for my Grandson. I read every review that Amazon had posted.... This is a warranty purchase and I expected to see complaints and see the complicated procedures people had to go through to get SQUARE TRADE to help them.... I read every review & saw soooo many 5 star reviews, saying things like Very Satisfied, GREATTTTT!!!, Assume, good price and others also giving SQUARE TRADE excellent reviews..... But then I saw a 1 star rating from Draw4Luv... A SQUARE TRADE representative responded, admitting they dropped the ball, and to email her at priyahelps (at)squaretrade.com... a 3 star review also got a nice response from Square Trade including a phone number 1-877-WARRANTY (927-7268).....

Because of the 5 star reviews and Square Trade's responses to those that were not (& that it is offered on Amazon)..... This is why I purchased this warranty for the present I am giving to my Grandson this Christmas... And just like every Grandmother, I never want my Grandson to be disappointed because of something I bought.

Today is 6 days before Christmas and a Square Trades Representative CALLED me, making sure that I got their email with the warranty.... I am not joking, this is the truth.... I was surprised to see SQUARETRADE on the caller ID and even more so that a person was welcoming me to her company(not a recording).... Does this happen in the real world????? I guess so! Thank you Square Trade for doing this.

I would certainly recommend Square Trade to friends....

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome & Fast Customer Service!, June 16, 2010
My sister let me know I was getting a camera for Christmas & when she did I looked into purchasing a SquareTrade warranty with accidental protection for it. I am so glad that I did because 2 weeks ago I dropped my camera while trying to take a picture & it stopped working completely with a lens failure. The next day I logged into my account, submitted my claim, and was sent an e-mail with a link to print out a pre-paid shipping label to send in my damaged camera. Less than a full week had passed by from when I first dropped my camera to when I was refunded the complete purchase price of it! :) I HIGHLY recommend using SquareTrade to protect your electronics & look forward to using it again for my next camera.

1.0 out of 5 stars Get 2 years for the price of 3 buying through amazon, December 27, 2011
These warrantys are great but Amazon Overcharges if you buy them on there website, go to Squaretrade website and save your self some $

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Warranty, February 24, 2010
My camera fell down after a couple of months use and it's barrel broke. Thankfully I had bought SqaureTrade accidental drop warranty. I filed a claim and they approved my claim promptly. I am very happy with them and always going to buy their warranty with Accidental drop for electronics. If I would have bought a regular warranty, I could not claim against the damage .

5.0 out of 5 stars Great warranty offer with accidental damage coverage, April 8, 2010
I purchased this warranty with my purchase of a new digital camera from Sony. I recently purchased a Nikon camera but dropped the camera thus cracking the screen. After researching Nikon's warranty and other camera manufacturers' warranties online, I realized that Sony was the manufacturer to offer an additional service plan that covered accidental damage such as drops and spills. However, when searching for cameras on Amazon, I saw this warranty offer from SquareTrade. After reading the terms and conditions of the SquareTrade warranty, I realized that I could purchase a camera from any manufacturer and still purchase an additional warranty plan that covers accidental damage. Sony offers an accidental damage service plan for a little less than SquareTrade. However, SquareTrade provides everything online - you can save your receipt online so you don't have to look for it when you want to place a claim, you can complete the entire claim process online, and you ship your damaged item free. I felt that these added conveniences more than made up the few dollars difference between the Sony offer and the SquareTrade offer. In the end, I ended up purchasing a Sony camera but with a SquareTrade warranty with accidental damage.

A quick disclaimer - I have not filed any claims with SquareTrade yet but I have went on their website, registered, and sent in my receipt for them to keep on file. The website is easy to use and the entire registration and receipt submission process was quick and easy. I would recommend anyone thinking about an additional warranty to look into SquareTrade.

Rate and Discover Movies