Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

on October 14, 2012
I purchased Squaretrade 2 years warranty online from Amazon while purchasing Philips 9" portable DVD player, the warranty cost was 7 $ . Warranty was to start after 1 year manufacturer's warranty- so my effective warranty was 1 year manufacturer + 2 years extended from squaretrade.

When I received actual warranty found - the Squaretrade warranty started from Purchase date - so i will be returning this back now.

I recommend people to check these whenever you buy warranty what they say and what you get is same.
55 comments34 of 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 30, 2013
I purchased a protection plan for a Sony portable DVD player. Within two months, the DVD player stopped playing DVDs. I contacted Square Trade to file a claim. After completing a tedious claim form, I was informed that my DVD player was still covered under the manufacturer's warranty. I was instructed to contact Sony directly. After spending 20 minutes of the phone with Sony, I was instructed to send the DVD player back to them for repair. Shipping costs were $15, and I will not be reimbursed for that. Square Trade took my money and offered nothing in return. Many credit cards provide a free warranty on purchases. I'm quite certain that coverage would be equal to or superior to the "protection" I received from Square Trade.

I am absolutely furious. Why did I waste my money paying for an extended warranty from Square Trade when they did nothing to help me? I purchased protection for convenience and peace-of-mind. If I had known that they would just tell me to contact the manufacturer, I would never have purchased a warranty from them. They did not warranty my product. They took my money and then refused to offer me any protection or service.

In summary, I purchased this warranty which was absolutely worthless. Square Trade would not assist me. I paid them money, yet they refused to warranty my product -- even though it stopped working less than two months after purchase. I still had to go directly to Sony for any assistance. Square Trade proved to be a completely useless product, and I will never buy a warranty from them again. I encourage everyone to skip this protection. I suggest that you contact your credit card company before making any big purchase. Find out whether they provide a warranty. If they don't, then use a different credit card. Never, ever use Square Trade for an additional warranty.
33 comments31 of 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 26, 2014
I bought their warranty and the item was returned due to malfunctioning and they returned my balanced. so I'm happy camper
FYI: they do not give all the money back
on March 7, 2014
When the Roku box that we bought this for turned out to be a lemon, we had to return it- but we were able to return it to Amazon, because it was bad from the get-go. As a result, we had to cancel our Square Trade contract, so we never really got to use it. However, I can tell you that registering your product with them is really, really easy (it's online), and they refunded our money within a day when we were forced to cancel. They seem to be really, really good people to work with- I'd recommend them, for your extended warranty needs. :)
on October 13, 2014
I purchased this to cover my Roku 2 bought on Amazon. The Roku died after only 2 months, Square Trade will do nothing to assist, they are referring me to the manufacturer. Don't waste your money, they are thieves.
on November 14, 2014
Amazon offered this for my blu-ray player when I bought the player. I bought it. Turns out, it doesn't cover the blu-ray player at all, because the blu-ray player was refurbished. Yes. I know it was. Why did you offer me a protection plan that wouldn't work with the item? Very unhappy with this purchase.
11 comment7 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 22, 2013
Actually, I had to cancel my associated Amazon order for the Sony dvd player twice. The first time because Amazon didn't deliver in time for Christmas. This time I received the order in time for a birthday present but someone else had already given my granddaughter the same thing. So I had to once again return it.
On the first order, I called Square Trade and you graciously cancelled the order and issued a refund. This time, I returned the Amazon order for credit but I did not call Square Trade again. Guess I was embarrassed to ask once again for a refund.
on April 22, 2013
I got this plan for an electronic purchase and then about 3 weeks later they cancelled the plan on me and issued a refund.... I never even requested to cancel my plan and called them to ask what the heck was going on. They told me they couldn't help me because I cancelled the plan, which I didn't......Oh well, their loss of business and $$$$$
11 comment13 of 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 14, 2013
This is not the first warranty that I have purchased from Square Trade. I have only had to request warranty service once and their service was great. No hassles even though my clumbsiness was the cause of the problem.
on January 2, 2014
Purchased coverage and have not heard anything from square trade since. Verification of coverage would be nice otherwise warranty could be denied without proof of coverage !!