1,911 Reviews
 (1,229)

4.0 out of 5 stars Make Sure You Purchase The Correct Warranty For Your Product
I haven't purchased this yet: it is in my shopping cart and I will likely buy it.

However, I just got off the phone with SquareTrade [1-877-WARRANTY] and thought I'd pass on info I got from them as well as reading the reviews of the company on the San Francisco BBB site [...] and on epinions.com [...]

1. Make sure you have the right warranty for your...
Published on June 4, 2011 by G. E. Thomas

1,034 of 1,078 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Read the details before you buy a Squaretrade warranty
Published on May 11, 2011 by Geronimo

4.0 out of 5 stars Make Sure You Purchase The Correct Warranty For Your Product, June 4, 2011

1. Make sure you have the right warranty for your product. There are glitches in their system for syncing the proper warranty with the proper product, both on Amazon and on eBay.

When I purchased my LG HD TV [...] here on Amazon, the price was $539.00. HOWEVER, the section on that page for "Available Warranties or Services for This TV" listed the 3-year and 4-year warranties for a price point of $450.00 to $500.00: [...] and [...]

I had noticed some complaints on epinion.com about the wrong warranty not being honored, although in those cases, the full price of the warranty was refunded, even though the product wasn't repaired/replaced.

Once I described my TV to the SquareTrade phone representative, he gave me the correct Amazon code to look up this warranty [...] and add it to my cart.

2. You have 90 Days FROM THE DATE OF ORDERING YOUR COVERED PURCHASE (not delivery date) to purchase the extended warranty. So, I suggest you add this warranty to your cart or wish list and then wait to receive your covered product from Amazon and review the MANUFACTURER'S Warranty.

Also, you can get an additional discount code from SquareTrade, just by asking for it over the phone, so it will be worth it to wait and do your warranty purchase here AFTER delivery of your covered product and AFTER you call SquareTrade and ask for a discount and a the code.

3. This is a repair/cash value warranty, which means that they will not provide any service beyond the price you paid for your covered product.

For example, during the time period covered by your manufacturer's warranty, IF the manufacturer refuses to cover something normally covered by SquareTrade, SquareTrade WILL honor their coverage and pay for the difference. HOWEVER, whatever they pay out comes off the total value of your purchase price.

FOR INSTANCE: SquareTrade provides in-home repairs for TV's larger than 34 inches. IF your manufacturer doesn't, and requires you to pay for shipping for repairs under the manufacturer's warranty, then SquareTrade says it will usually refund those charges when the invoice is submitted to them. HOWEVER, whatever they pay out will now come off of the total coverage. So, if the covered product breaks down again after the manufacturer's warranty expires, you will receive your purchase price from SquareTrade, LESS the amount they already covered on your first claim.

1,034 of 1,078 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Read the details before you buy a Squaretrade warranty, May 11, 2011
Geronimo (Scottsdale, AZ) - See all my reviews
I have several Squaretrade warranties I purchased 1-2 years ago. They do what they say they will do, but the devil's in the details with Squaretrade warranties. The way they sell these for a lot lower cost is because they limit their exposure, and recoup costs on the back end. They limit their exposure by only providing total coverage up to the purchase price of your item. That no lemon policy they have is a joke, because you will likely hit your coverage limit far before the 3 repair limit. For example, if you pay $1500 for a plasma tv, and the repair the first time was $500, you only have $1000 in remaining coverage for the life of the warranty. NOW comes the part where they really screw you. The warranty repair estimate comes from them. Let's go back to my example of having a repair for $500 done, leaving you with remaining coverage of $1000 on the tv. Now, your 2nd repair estimate comes in over $1000. What do they do? They don't repair it. They TAKE your item, and cut you a check for $1000. What does this leave you? With 2/3 of the cost of a new tv and no remaining warranty, and you are still out the cost of the warranty. They take your tv, repair it for much less than the estimate (using an internal repair dept), and SELL it, keeping the money. This may or may not be acceptable to you. I bought them, because the warranties were dirt cheap, and I wanted SOME coverage. I would not buy this warranty in many cases.

1.0 out of 5 stars You reviewers are helping a scam..., October 25, 2010
If it's too good to be true...it probably is a scam.

I purchased SquareTrade on October 9, 2009 for a Samsung LCD TV 40'. My TV had a power failure a week after a year (around Oct 15, 2010). The TV simply won't turn on. What a shame from Samsung, I thought I would never have a problem from a top manufacture. But I did, so I contacted SquareTrade since Samsung only services within 1 year (just missed it!).
Remember the Samsung TV is 40 inches because I'm saving the "best part" for last...

Filing the Claim....

I filed a claim on a Monday and everything went great... at first. I was told I would receive a phone call WITHIN 3 days to schedule an appointment for in-home repair. A full week past without a phone call (I understand claims are only Monday--Friday though). On Friday that week, I sent an e-mail to SquareTrade asking them "what's going on?" They simply replied that post-claims are another department, so I had to wait to Monday to call them back.

The Problem....

SquareTrade never intended to give me an in-home repair. I called them the following Monday. Apparently, they shipped a box via UPS to my house. Why? They wanted me to ship my TV to their warehouse, instead of scheduling an in-home repair. The guy told me that no tracking number was found for the box. He had no clue where my box was. He had me on hold as he "contacted" UPS to figure out what's going on. It took about 10 minutes until he came back and said "UPS has ME on hold. I'll call you back." This whole time I'm thinking, where is my in-home repair service? If I ship my TV to this unorganized company, will I ever see my TV again?

Obviously at this point I'm thinking this is a scam. They got me.

The Best Part....

My e-mail receipt states that in-home repair is for TVs greater than 37'. My TV is 40'. Why are they even sending me a shipping box? Don't worry my fellow reviewers/readers, I did ask them why they aren't honoring the terms & conditions of their receipt.

The guy told me that in-home repair service is only for TVs greater than 42 inches. This is obviously ridiculous. His exact words, "Sorry Mr. Arguello, in-home service repair are only for TVs greater than 42 inches, I assure you."

Now what?....

I still haven't received my phone call back and I'm not sure why I should bother calling them a third time. If SquareTrade does not want to honor their `TVs larger than 37in get in-home repair service' then I predict a future law suit. You might be wondering IF I do actually get my shipping box, am I going to ship it to SquareTrade? Do I really want to send an $1100 TV to a company that can't even get the facts straight? Probably not, for fear of never seeing my TV again. I'm going to hire geeksquad from best buy and just pay the $150.
The Evidence
What is a review without proof, huh? Here is it. First a summary because I know my review is long:
1. My 40in Samsung LCD TV won't turn on.
2. Filing the claim has been a disaster
3. SquareTrade does not want to honor its in home service repair for a 40in TV-I'm suppose to ship it to them.
4. Terms clearly state TVs larger than 37' get in-home service repair

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present their website...Click on the `Warranty Service' at the bottom of the page. Read the bold bullet point `Free Shipping to our depot'

[...]

Conclusion....

I strongly recommend you not purchase any SquareTrade warranty. This applies to any electronic device, whether it be a laptop or a cell phone. Your damaged product is still worth more than the trust you bestow upon SquareTrade for shipping them your product. A fellow reviewer stated that SquareTrade claimed to have received the product, but shipping damaged occurred and they would not give the customer any service (it was for a phone). A company such as this should be punished by the law. Refusing to honor your own terms is absurd.

For those of you who chose to ignore my advice, I only ask you one favor. Do not post a positive review until you receive service. Many positive ratings come from customers who never even filed a claim. They simply review the `wonderful' prices, not the horrible service. Your positive reviews are sheltering a scam.

You can save over $150 by not purchasing from SquareTrade. Avoid at all cost. Have a great day (except you, SquareTrade)

Christopher Arguello

Time for an update from the Original Reviewer!

I had no idea my review had received such popularity. Some of the comments question the honesty of this review simply because I haven't responded to any comments. Sorry guys, I hadn't used this account in a very long time. I'm a college student who tries to save as much money as possible. As many of you may know, college students get amazon prime for free (trial). I've created two accounts since this one, using my college email and girlfriend's college email as verification. So I've gotten
2 years of amazon prime for free which is why I've completely ignored this account.

SquareTrade warranties actually did send a repair man who fixed my TV within 2-3 weeks. Although the experience was horrible, the warranty was eventually honored. The TV need a circuit board and is still good and running. Heres some important notes

(1) SquareTrade finds local repairmen near your location and subcontract the repair. To me it doesn't matter, just don't expect an employee from SquareTrade to come service your TV.

(2) My TV and complaint only got serviced after filing a complaint.

(3) Square Trade remains one of the cheapest warranty services out there. Search for coupon codes as they can give you 20% off or an extended year.

My overall review is a company that offers low prices that makes it difficult to fulfill a repair. Is it worth it? Yes. Like I said, Im a college student and savings by any means possible is always worth it. It was a pain but the job got done and in the end that's all that matters. 3 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive and painless service, September 8, 2010
I've been getting SquareTrade warranties for some time now, since they are much less expensive than the store ones (the store ones don't hit my price 'sweet spot' and are more than I want to spend).

I recently got a solid black line down a 2-year old plasma TV. I called ST and the next business day a technician showed up, examined it, and said the plasma was shot. Two days later, I got an email saying that the original $1200 had been deposited in my PayPal account. I went out and bought a new one (much better than the original because TVs improved in the last 2 years). I like the $1200, but I like better that it was so painless.

P.S. I talked my daughter into a iPhone warranty included if you destroy it yourself. Sure enough, her daughter stepped on it and she also wound up with a new one.

BIG TIP!!: Before using it for a large item, get a warranty for something very small (like a $10 item). This puts you on their list and you get 20% discount on the next purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a real warranty, June 18, 2012
This is not a real extended warranty. They only cover you up to the amount you paid including all the potential service calls. So if you have several service calls you may end up using up all your warranty and still have no TV. If you are lucky and the TV is not repairable on the first try you will get your money back. If you get a repair then you only entitled to what is left after the repair. So for example for $500 TV after a $200 service call you will be left with a maximum of $300 for all future repair or replacements. It maybe cheaper, but you get what you paid for.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Experiences with Squaretrade, April 12, 2011
I had to file 2 claims with Squaretrade over the past few years & they tried every conceivable way to argue out of paying - even wanted to send out parts for ME to repair my computer and, on another claim, TWICE denied receiving my emailed receipt. They eventually paid, but it was NOT an easy or pleasant process. And BE SURE to read the full contract before you buy.

Squaretrade is NOT required to pay you the "purchase" price. Their contract has many qualifiers such as "in most cases" and "up to the purchase price." If they don't repair it or replace with a refurbished unit (that's right, and not necessarily manufacturer refurbished), they are only required to pay you the replacement value AT THE TIME OF THE CLAIM. Four years down the road the "replacement" value of your now nearly obsolete TV will be a LOT less. They can also "replace the Product with a new, rebuilt or refurbished product of equal or similar features and functionality." That's a direct quote from one of my Squaretrade contracts.

If it fails 3-4 years from now, it is doubtful you will get your purchase price to buy a new one with all the latest features. Squaretrade can replace it with the then-current LOW-END product, even a refurbished one, or just pay you to buy such a product. Of course it would have features equal to or better than your 3-4 year old TV, but certainly not what you could have gotten if they had refunded your original purchase price. Squaretrade gains from technological advances and you lose.

So beware. Read the contract and know what you're getting for the money (maybe worth it for you, maybe not). It's NOT your standard extended warranty contract, and in my experience Squaretrade has been very deceptive about that fact.

1.0 out of 5 stars Different Opinion - Poor Experiences, April 12, 2011
I had to file 2 claims with Squaretrade over the past few years & they tried every conceivable way to argue out of paying - even wanted to send out parts for ME to repair my computer and, on another claim, TWICE denied receiving my emailed receipt. They eventually paid, but it was NOT an easy or pleasant process, and they did not live up to their 5-day service claim (but claimed it was my fault). BE SURE to read the details of the contract, including exclusions, before you buy. There have been changes in recent years that are NOT the consumer's favor.

Squaretrade is NOT required to pay you the "original" purchase price. Their contract has many qualifiers such as "in most cases" and "up to the purchase price." If they don't repair it or replace with a refurbished unit (that's right, and not necessarily manufacturer refurbished), they are only required to pay you the replacement value AT THE TIME OF THE CLAIM. Four years down the road the "replacement" value of your now nearly obsolete TV will be a LOT less. They can also "replace the Product with a new, rebuilt or refurbished product of equal or similar features and functionality." That's a direct quote from one of my Squaretrade contracts.

If it fails 3-4 years from now, it is doubtful you will get your original purchase price to buy a new one with all the latest features. Squaretrade can replace it with the then-current LOW-END product, even a refurbished one, or just pay you to buy such a product. Of course it would have features equal to or better than your 3-4 year old TV, but certainly not what you could have gotten if they had refunded the original purchase price. Squaretrade gains from technological advances and you lose.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware - Warranty only covers purchase price not TV, October 7, 2011
I purchased a 3 year warranty when I bought my Samsung Plasma two years ago for $999 and did not read the fine print in SquareTrade's contract. It is not a 3 year warranty as they represent rather it simply reimburses you for the purchase price of the TV. I discovered this the hard way when I went back and read the "fine print". I had a problem with the power supply which cost $450 to fix and then I had a problem with the screen and was told they would only reimburse me for up to $549 which was the balance of my contract.

IF YOU WANT A TRUE 3 YEAR WARRANTY DO NOT BUY FROM SQUARETRADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Warranty, June 22, 2012
I have purchased ST warranty for my Toshiba 55" LED in March, 2010, both purchased at Amazon. About four weeks ago, my TV started showing horizontal lines, darkest on the left hand side and fading out towards right hand side. Filed a claim/complaint with ST. A technician visited us with a mother board and a power board and swopped them out to no avail. The following week, got an email from ST that this could not be repaired cost effectively and they would compensate me for the entire purchase price!! Within the next hour, got another mail stating that the funds were issued to my Paypal account. Having dealt with extended warranties with cars and standard health insurance exclusions/scams, I must say that this hands down is THE BEST and the most hassle-free warranty out there. They have completely surprised me with the compensation, I was expecting a little haggle and likely compensation on a pro-rated basis, I was wrong. I will happily be buying this warranty on all my electronic items.

1.0 out of 5 stars Check the facts before you agree on a settlement., April 4, 2013
Joe (New York City) - See all my reviews
My 58 inch Samsung plasma TV began showing signs of a bad panel a few months back. I knew I had a protection plan with squaretrade for a maximum replacement value for the TV of $2499. So I called to have the set looked at by a service center that squaretrade picked. After an exam of the TV panel they concluded that the TV was totalled and a replacement or a refund would be issued.
This is where the fun starts. I was told that the exact TV was NOT available and a similar TV would cost $900 (I owned a smart tv... 3D... internet access... top of the line samsung. The replacement was a budget tv squaretrade was offering).
Very long story short... squaretrade lied about the exact TV not being available in the exact same store (amazon). It not only was in stock... there were 12 sets waiting for delivery using my prime memebership. Its replacement price was $2699 but I just wanted what I was covered for... $2499. Squaretrade offered and sent out a check for $2000... $499 less than coverage. The only reason I gave squaretrade a rating is cause you cant give zero stars... They lied.