Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage R6 Siege Outdoors Gift Guide on bgg

on June 12, 2013
Square Trade has stiffed me. My BBB complaint follows:

On Oc. 24, 2010, I purchased a three-year warranty from Squaretrade for $31.99 covering a new GPS device; TomTom XXL540. The coverage included the Accident provision.

On Apr. 21, 2013, I submitted a claim the issue being that the battery would not hold a charge. They sent an acknowledgment and said a label was attached. One was not. On 4/22 I advised them of that.

Apr. 25; Received and email from SqTr that on 4/24 (that's correct), a shipping kit had been delivered to my address. It had and I sent the GPS on 4/25.

May 9: Received the GPS with NEW screen damage and, otherwise, in the same malfunctioning condition as caused the claim. I advised SqTr.

May 14: Received email from SqTr advising that a shipping kit would be sent for the return of the GPS.

May 20: Received a phone call from the SqTr repair facility asking what was wrong with the GPS. I told them it wouldn't hold a charge. We exchanged questions and answers and they said that they would send a shipping kit as one had not been sent (see May 14). I updated SqTr and they replied on 5/23.

May 25: The following from SqTr.: "In reviewing your account, I found that we received your item originally on 04/24/2013 and it was repaired by 05/01/2013 which fulfills our 5 days service guarantee. However, since you mentioned that the unit was not repaired correctly, we have filed a rework for you and requested the repair shop to resend you the packing for you to return the unit back to them for repair. Please note that if the repair shop determines that the item cannot be repaired we will simply reimburse the price of your item. However, if the item can be fixed, it would be returned to you once the rework is completed."

May 30: I advised SqTr that I had sent the GPS on Saturday, 5/25.

June 3: I emailed a request for a status update on the repair or replacement of the GPS.

June 4: I called SqTr's warranty help line and the only thing they could tell me was that the repair place had the GPS. I emailed SqTr for and update.

June 7: I emailed for a status update. I received a call from the service facility requesting that I send my car charger. I explained that the car charger has nothing to do with the device's battery not being able to hold a charge and, besides, I use a mains charger to replenish the GPS. I sent an email to SqTr requesting the immediate repair and return of my device or the replacement price per contract.

June 8: Received email from SqTr that the repair facility would call needing the car charger. I wrote back that they do not need it (see 6/7).

June 10: Email to SqTr: "Please return my device fully repaired or a check covering the purchase price."

June 11: Email to SqTr: "Kindly either return my device fully repaired or issue a check. No more delays. Okay?"

June 12 (evening): Email to SqTr: "RETURN OR BUY MY GPS."

It is now 2p PDT, June 12, and there have been no replies. Kindly encourage SqTr to fulfill their obligation.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 13, 2013
I purchased a GPS 2 years ago and purchased a SquareTrade 3-year warranty at the same time. A couple of weeks ago, the GPS stopped working. SquareTrade reimbursed me for the price I paid for the GPS on an Amazon gift card. They gave me a pre-paid shipping label to send the GPS back. The gift card was emailed to me within a couple of days. I will continue to use SquareTrade for warranties on future GPS purchases.
on March 14, 2013
I love Square Trade and have several items warrantied with them. However, on my last claim, I was a little disappointed to be told that rather than repair my item, they were going to issue a refund for the purchase price. I would much rather have had my item (TomTom GPS) fixed. But in their favor, my claim was approved right away, and my refund check came within a couple weeks. I had one other claim before that in which they repaired my item (iPad 2), and I had no complaints at all about the process. I will continue to warranty all my electronics with Square Trade - they are simply the best!!
on February 21, 2013
I have numerous electronic items guaranteed by Square Trade, and have had problems with two GPS units. This a is a company that is true to their word! No hassles-just a few questions, and they take care of the problem. In my case, the GPS units were not monetarily worth repair, so they paid my claim after I shipped the units to them (they pay the postage). I will insure all of my electronic items with Square Trade in the future.
on February 14, 2013
My son went off to college. I bought him a GPS. I bought the accident insurance with it knowing how college kids are. The GpS kit didnt come with a bracket. While waiting for the bracket to come in my son used the GPS. He turned and the GpS went flying across the dash and cracked the screen.
I submitted my claim. And had my a refund Plus 5% to buy a new one. And so I did. AND I purchased another warranty for that device as well. Just in case. The best money I ever spent.
on April 2, 2013
I bought this plan for a GPS watch I bought my wife. Unfortunately the watch was dropped and the crystal shattered. Square Trade handled the claim in a very fast and friendly manner. I bought her another GPS watch and a Square Trade protection plan to go with it.
on November 2, 2013
I just received confirmation of my puchase of a 3 year GPS accident protection plan. Per instructions, I tried to set up my account. After receiving an error message twice, I had to call a number provided in the error message. I was assured there was just a "glitch" in the program and that I would receive another email about setting up my account. One has to wonder how long this company has been in existence if a person cannot set up an account--which must be done before issuing a claim!!
Also, the buyer must keep the receipt of the purchase of their GPS system for 3 years in order to be able to file a claim!! Why not set up a file of records of purchases with the companies for whom they provide this protection?
I can't imagine how filing a claim will go if I ever need to do that:(
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 22, 2013
Nice to have a back-up! the price was reasonable for this protection plan and I would recommend this to all.
on August 14, 2013
I had my Clarion radio for almost 3 years when the screen stopped working. I had to lay flat on the seat to see it,cause as it came up it would go blank.That makes it more difficult to see and drive! When I explained to the fellas at Squaretrade that i was a senior on a very limited budget,they immediately decided to send me a check for a replacement.They have made this ole lady one happy gal!!!

I just ordered a replacement for my radio and once again purchased a Square Trade protection plan. I will make sure all my future purchases are covered with them.What a great peace of mind!!
on January 31, 2014
I purchased this warranty along with my Garmin GPS runners watch. Had an issue with the watch. I called Square Trade. They told me there was a problem with the software used to print return labels and they would call me back within 24 hours to get more information. It's been a week and I have yet to hear from them. Would have rated it zero stars but I couldn't. Amazon should remove them from their website.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse