5.0 out of 5 stars Square trade is a good deal
Published 13 months ago by Penny Nicolai

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY
SquareTrade has stiffed me. My complaint to the BBB follows:

On Oc. 24, 2010, I purchased a three-year warranty from Squaretrade for $31.99 covering a new GPS device; TomTom XXL540. The coverage included the Accident provision.

Published 17 months ago by CharlieSnAZ

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY, June 14, 2013
This review is from: SquareTrade 3-Year GPS Accident Protection Plan ($175-200) (Electronics)
SquareTrade has stiffed me. My complaint to the BBB follows:

On Apr. 21, 2013, I submitted a claim the issue being that the battery would not hold a charge. They sent an acknowledgment and said a label was attached. One was not. On 4/22 I advised them of that.

Apr. 25; Received and email from SqTr that on 4/24 (that's correct), a shipping kit had been delivered to my address. It had and I sent the GPS on 4/25.

May 9: Received the GPS with NEW screen damage and, otherwise, in the same malfunctioning condition as caused the claim. I advised SqTr.

May 14: Received email from SqTr advising that a shipping kit would be sent for the return of the GPS.

May 20: Received a phone call from the SqTr repair facility asking what was wrong with the GPS. I told them it wouldn't hold a charge. We exchanged questions and answers and they said that they would send a shipping kit as one had not been sent (see May 14). I updated SqTr and they replied on 5/23.

May 25: The following from SqTr.: "In reviewing your account, I found that we received your item originally on 04/24/2013 and it was repaired by 05/01/2013 which fulfills our 5 days service guarantee. However, since you mentioned that the unit was not repaired correctly, we have filed a rework for you and requested the repair shop to resend you the packing for you to return the unit back to them for repair. Please note that if the repair shop determines that the item cannot be repaired we will simply reimburse the price of your item. However, if the item can be fixed, it would be returned to you once the rework is completed."

May 30: I advised SqTr that I had sent the GPS on Saturday, 5/25.

June 3: I emailed a request for a status update on the repair or replacement of the GPS.

June 4: I called SqTr's warranty help line and the only thing they could tell me was that the repair place had the GPS. I emailed SqTr for and update.

June 7: I emailed for a status update. I received a call from the service facility requesting that I send my car charger. I explained that the car charger has nothing to do with the device's battery not being able to hold a charge and, besides, I use a mains charger to replenish the GPS. I sent an email to SqTr requesting the immediate repair and return of my device or the replacement price per contract.

June 8: Received email from SqTr that the repair facility would call needing the car charger. I wrote back that they do not need it (see 6/7).

June 10: Email to SqTr: "Please return my device fully repaired or a check covering the purchase price."

June 11: Email to SqTr: "Kindly either return my device fully repaired or issue a check. No more delays. Okay?"

June 12 (evening): Email to SqTr: "RETURN OR BUY MY GPS."

It is now 2p PDT, June 12, and there have been no replies. Kindly encourage SqTr to fulfill their obligation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Square trade is a good deal, October 9, 2013
Penny Nicolai (Black River Falls, WI, US) - See all my reviews
I've had a few items warrantied through square trade now. The price is very competitive and I was happy with their service on the one item I needed to make a claim for. I had purchased a used laptop that died after about a year. I called s.t. and they attempted to rectify the problem. When it was apparent the laptop was dead, they reimbursed me my purchase price of the laptop with no qualms. I shipped the laptop back and they sent me the check. About the only thing I would like to see them change is that I had to send back the hard-drive with the laptop. Fortunately the hard-drive was fried and the data was not retrievable (checked on another laptop). I've had warranties through other companies on new computers and they did not want the hard-drives when a device was sent in for repair or return. With all the id theft going on, I would rather they give the option to opt out on the hard-drive warranty coverage for computers. In this instance, I purchased it for a refurbished GPS so I'm not concerned. The warranty is one of those things that I hope I never have to file a claim on but I'll be glad I have it if I need it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, January 10, 2014
I purchased an item as a gift, a GPS navigational system, and bought the Square Trade protection plan to go with it. However, have tried repeatedly to get the plan registered for the recipient of the gift, rather than to myself, and have spoken to a "live person" at the company, attempting to comply with the requirement to provide the receipt for the purchase. Followed all the instructions for emailing the receipts and it does not go through. Their system is faulty in this regard and I am still trying to get satisfaction to no avail, either online or by phone. Very frustrating. I would NOT recommend purchasing this protection plan unless it is for yourself, and then I wish you luck with getting it properly registered with the company. I do not know whether or not they are competent in covering losses and responding to claims.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Happy and plan hasn't even started., November 19, 2013
Not happy.I was told by a rep.that I didn't need to reg. the item till I gave the gift on Christmas & he would update my account to reflect this. Today I started receiving emails saying I need to update my ST account. So I called today again and was told was that was not true and I needed to reg. now which I was not happy about since this item is not for me and is a gift but I did it anyway because I felt like I didn't have a choice. Then 20 min. later my husband, who works from home, answers the phone and it is ST. They told him they made a mistake and I didn't need to reg. the gift until I give it on Christmas. Well guess what that gift was for my husband and you ruined the gift giving experience.

1.0 out of 5 stars don't know if I just purchased a worthless "contract"., February 7, 2014
you cannot print the actual warranty to verify what coverage you just purchased. Makes me think its a scam to avoid paying if there is a claim.

5.0 out of 5 stars Returning Customer, March 2, 2014
My past dealings with square trade keeps me coming back, because I know I will be treated fairly and quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Square Trade Accident Protection Plan, March 1, 2014
I have registered mu GPS, but have not used it (and hope that I do not have to). When and if I have to use the plan, I will update.

5.0 out of 5 stars Square Trade 3-Year GPS Accident Protection-Plan, January 16, 2014
Hey, this is a protection plan. Why in the world they want us to rate it, I don't know, but if it gets broken, malfunction or gets destroyed (however), then I will be glad that I have it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unhappy camper in Texas, December 16, 2013
I ordered this insurance at the same time I ordered aRand McNally 7inch RV GPS. When the package arrived there was no paper works or invoice. When I tried to activate the insurance with Square Trade the told me I had to send a proof of purchase. I told them I did not receive an invoice and if they could not insure the device without it then send my money back and cancel the policy. I have no idea what the status of this transaction is. I have not received a refund from square trade. Any help you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks Wayne Sullins

4.0 out of 5 stars additional review: layup info measured correctly but and gives ..., August 6, 2014
additional review: layup info measured correctly but and gives on two options. No green or bunker info is given. Battery life could be longer as travel time to and from, plus tournaments with slow play on tough courses, seem to max it out in 8 hours.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›