Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: SquareTrade 3-Year Computer Protection Plan ($500-$600)
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

Service plan term: 3 Years|Service plan covered value: $ 500-$600|Change
Price:$104.11+ Free shipping

on June 3, 2009
I'm not really in to giving reviews but I am so impressed with Square Trade that I feel that a review is in order. I bought a computer with a Square Trade warranty from eBay that bit the dust. Thinking that I had to cut through miles of red tape and play phone tag, I called Square Trade. Much to my surprise it was quite the opposite. A few minutes after the phone call, Square Trade sent me an affidavit via email which I printed, signed, scanned and returned via email and by the next day the insurance money was placed in my PayPal account! In addition to their quickness, I give them an A+ on their ability to communicate, friendliness, great prices, and overall efficiency. I definitely will use Square Trade's services again and highly recommend them.
on August 14, 2009
I purchased a computer on e-bay that was refurbished and in 6 months the mother board died. I contacted Square Trade and told them what had happened and they quickly refunded my full purchase price. Now I am waiting for my new computer that I ordered and when I receive it I will purchase insurance again with Square Trade. From now on anything I purchase I will purchase insurance with Square Trade. Keep up the good work. Excellent company to deal with. 10 Star rating. Thank you all very much.
on November 20, 2012
When my computer had trouble, SquareTrade asked for photos -- I sent them in within 12 hours of the request but NEVER HEARD BACK! After a week, I called and spoke with a new representative (not the original person, who had stopped responding to my emails), who tried to refuse my claim, as if by second nature. On multiple occasions, they offered to "buy back" my warranty. This is their tactic to effectively erase all evidence you had a warranty at all and avoid taking care of your claim. Finally, after the representative spoke with her "senior manager" they suddenly decided they could repair it (I suspect she never even talked to the manager -- these are just the tactics they use).

Days later, after SquareTrade missed multiple phone appointments which I had changed my schedule to accommodate, they denied my claim -- the technician's report contained multiple inconsistencies, but when I called to point out the inconsistenties, THE REPRESENTATIVE HUNG UP ON ME! He yelled at me, "You're not listening" and then -- click -- he hung up on me! After hanging up on me and without asking, they sent back my computer unrepaired.

TERRIBLE COMPANY -- THEY WILL LIE TO AVOID HONORING YOUR CLAIM. THEY WILL HANG UP ON YOU AND IGNORE YOUR CLAIM. They use their tactics to talk people out of their claims.
on January 14, 2015
Horrible, horrible, horrible experience with them. I bought my touchscreen computer in Oregon in November 2012. Last spring, my screen cracked. I'm a graduate school student, so I suffered through, until classes were over. I sent in my computer which was supposed to get back to me within 1 working week. 4 weeks later, classes had started again, I was still without my computer and without word or a check from squaretrade. After I called asking about the delay, I was told there was a back order on my screen and they would send me a check. I received a check, but for the wrong amount. It was $50 less than the price of my computer and less than their contract promised ("The purchase price of your computer minus tax" I didn't pay tax as I bought the computer in Oregon). So I didn't cash it. Soon after I received another check for a different, lower price. I returned the 2nd check to them and cashed the first check, as I am a student and I needed the money. Unbeknownst to me, they had put a hold on that check, so I was charged a $5 held check fee, and overdraft fees. After almost 6 months of dealing with this issue, calling multiple times trying to get this dealt with, I am still without a check, I had to buy a new computer out of pocket, and the computer they insured is still non-functional. I would NOT recommend this company to anyone. The entire experience has been nothing but wasted money and a headache for me.
on December 5, 2009
Bought my laptop 1.5 years ago and also purchased Square Trade warranty.

Computer crashed and the claims process was fast and easy.

Email updates kept me informed of the process, and within five days I had a refund.

I am very pleased with every aspect of Square Trade!
on February 5, 2014
I bought a chrombook, had it about 6mos. a few days ago my power chord started intermittently charging. I went on line to file a claim and the site ran me in circles. I called and asked is the power chord covered. I was on hold for a while, about 10 min while they found out if the chord was covered. He got back and said i had to contact the chromebook manufacturer. I bought the product on amazon, and this warranty. Have no idea who or where to call. I just want them to reolace my power chord and they say they can BUT. and it's been 2hrs now i've been running around in circles trying to get this chord replaced. thankfully the chord is in the exact spot that let's it charge... I don't know what i'll do but i find this very very very frustrating.
on August 17, 2012
I bought the full warranty with accidental damage. I had to send it in back in January for liquid damage. They fixed it and sent it back, great. Well then the same thing happened again and I had to send it in, this time they couldn't fix it. They sent me a box with my harddrive and nothing else.. They didn't contact me, I had to call and find out where my computer was. They didn't even have it in the system that my computer wasn't sent back to me. Then when we finished the claim to get my refund for my computer they said they had to deduct the charges of fixing the computer back in January from the price I paid for the computer! I bought a warranty so that I would get a full refund or my computer fixed! Next time i won't even get the extended warranty since I ended up paying foe the repairs anyways! 300$ down the drain! Worst warranty company!
44 comments|13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 14, 2009
I bought two used laptops on Ebay in June 2009. I then bought two Square Trade Warranties. Almost immediately, one of the laptops stopped working. The seller gave me a full refund and I was able to cancel my Square Trade Warranty and get my money refunded. The other laptop lasted just a couple of days after my warranty kicked in and then the backlight display stopped working. I called Square Trade, they evaluated the problem and said to send the laptop to them. They sent me a pre-paid shipping label. Once they checked out the machine, they refunded the full amount of my purchase. I couldn't be happier. Instead of loosing the full amount of the purchase, It only cost me the amount of the Square Trade warranty which was about $71.00
on December 18, 2013
After I purchased a high-end refurbished laptop on Amazon along with this SquareTrade warranty I noticed that the contract read ‘new’. I contacted SquareTrade to correct that and have it changed to ‘refurbished’ and received the following email back:

“SquareTrade offers Protection Plans directly for new items only. Used and refurbished items are only eligible when purchased on eBay. Unfortunately, we are no longer offering warranties on a refurbished unit purchased from a retail store or website like Amazon. We made this decision because SquareTrade has found that the failure rate on refurbished items purchased from retailers are unacceptably high. Our responsibility to our insurer and our customers led to the decision not to warrant an item that has such a proven high failure rate.”

This policy is stated nowhere on this item listing - if I missed it please comment and let me know.

I contacted Amazon customer support to request they investigate this and enforce the three year warranty I purchased. SquareTrade then cancelled my warranty without my permission.

The take away here is: 1) SquareTrade has determined refurbished computers sold through Amazon are trash 2) the ones sold through eBay are fine 3) Amazon will not enforce warranty contractual obligations.
on February 20, 2015
I am a loyal Square Trade customer and had never had an issue with any of their warranty coverage until now. I ordered a Samsung Chromebook last year. As with any electronic device, I chose what I thought was the ACCIDENTAL coverage. I am very careful with my items but an accident can happen at any time, so I always buy the ACCIDENTAL coverage. Well, up until now I have NEVER had to make a claim. But lo and behold, my Chromebook(which I love) had an accident. I was upset but only for a moment because I remembered, Hey I have Coverage from SquareTrade, I will just make my claim send it in and have a new one in a few weeks.BUT, when I called to file my claim, I was informed I only had LapTop Protection and NOT Accidental. I said there must be some mistake because if you look at my account, all of my items that are eligible for ACCIDENTAL coverage have it. They said no, yours only covers software/hardware and internal issues. I said WHY WOULD I HAVE that coverage ONLY for a Chromebook when hardware/software issues rarely if ever happen with Chromebooks. Well after many calls with Amazon and ST, my issue still has not been resolved. I have since had to make two claims on other items I have with ST and it was a simple and easy process. But with this particular item, which I value highly and used daily before the accident, Amazon Nor Squaretrade have resolved it. The computer works fine but the body is cracked from the accident. The screen is even still intact(Go Figure).

BUYER BEWARE!!!!

The Square Trade offered on my item was either intentionally deceptive or there was glitch in the ordering system that day. I don't ever make errors of this nature when it comes to electronics or most other things. I am a very angry customer. I have been buying from Amazon since they were just a book seller. To their credit, this is the first issue they have not resolved but it is the one that I needed corrected the most.

For kicks, I just went through the ordering process to see what Square Trade plan popped up for the same Samsung Chromebook and amazingly, the ACCIDENT PLAN was there........hmmm..........